Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Sympathy For The Devil
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:11

Rockman
Only Mick knows ...

And he probably forgot, but no doubt he would be smiling and a bit amazed at us for trying to understand it 47 years later. My money's on camper88 to figure it out for us if he hasn't already.

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:17

He'd still know ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:00 by camper88.

Date: March 21, 2015 05:07

camper88
Naturalust

My money's on camper88 to figure it out for us if he hasn't already.

peace

Hold on to yer wallet.

Sometimes what's puzzling us is the nature of the game.

See Booth's construct of the authorial intent.

[wikis.sub.uni-hamburg.de]

If you can understand and get through that text it's precisely why I'm gonna keep my money on you to figure out the troubadour line meaning! Check back after you digest the associated literature. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 19:09

Well my head is a buzz with trying to provide a logical explanation but one more try -

The line "And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay" possibly refers to the notorious Thuggee cult, who worshiped Kali, the Hindu goddess of death. They would waylay travelers on the roads of India, then kill the entire group in order to make off with their valuables. This seems to be the closest well known historical incident to fit the lyrics. Also, the Thuggee would have been well known in England, since the British Army put a stop to the cult during the colonial period.

Why don't we ask BV if he can ask Mick who wrote this majestic song what the troubadour line actually means as withssoul and myself have been discussing this since 2008 and continue to be tied in knots over the troubadour portion.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 21, 2015 19:14

LieB
Chillrob, your experience remind me of when I was in an Amsterdam coffee shop in 2003, getting stoned with a few friends and they played a weird version of Sympathy right there in the coffee shop. As I remember it, it sounded like the one you describe -- close to the original but different. In my stoned head it had a guitar riff similar to the Ya-Ya's version, pretty much like the Beggars Banquet version with Keith's Ya-Ya's riff tucked on. And it sounded fantastic, is my recollection. I should of course have asked the DJ, but never did. And I've never found it since, and I question its existence at all.

This was shortly after that weird Neptunes/Fatboy Slim remix was released, and it was getting lots of airplay, so I thought it could be some kind of b-side or whatever from that one, but I have no clue at the moment.

I asked the Amsterdam DJ today but he can't remember either, how about this one:
The Rolling Stones-Sympathy Fot The Devil Full Phatt Remix

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2015 19:57

stones40
The line "And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay" possibly refers to the notorious Thuggee cult ...

Yep, that's been suggested several times already. I recommend camper88's posts - he's been researching it.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 09:50

Yes with sssoul there are at least 5/6 possible explanations to the troubadour line and the right one has yet to be identified.
The only guy who knows is Mick and perhaps one day soon when asked again he will finally explain what it means.
There is of course the chance that this was just one of Micks lines that just fitted in with the song lyric flow but really meant not a lot and we know that
he has used this method to complete many songs over the years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2015 09:51

There is of course the chance that this was just one of Micks lines that just fitted in with the song lyric flow

YEP!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2015 10:46

Rockman
There is of course the chance that this was just one of Micks lines that just fitted in with the song lyric flow

YEP!!!

Spoilsprouts! What fun is that?! I mean really: Since no other line in this lyric is devoid of meaning,
why should this one be?? Pbbt! Cop-out! And just look at all the fascinating historical stuff we've researched,
from Jaufre Rudel [en.wikipedia.org] to the Tibetan Gyuto monks [www.gyuto.co]
So you can take your "just a vowel movement" theory and perch it on toast - so there! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ahem - I mean: I meant to say before that:
1] that recent interview where the Mick suddenly mentioned Baudelaire as a source really surprised everyone:
Baudelaire, what Baudelaire?! Bulgakov! I truly believe he just got his Bs mixed up;
and
2] I know this is Mick's lyric, but back a few pages when I said Robert Graves is someone Mick and Keith
are quite likely to have read, I meant it. Keith is famously well-read and he famously prefers historical stuff,
and would have apt historical incidents falling out of his pockets any time his cohort was looking for one.

Date: March 22, 2015 16:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:01 by camper88.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 22, 2015 19:26

with sssoul
Keith is famously well-read

I dont know if he's well-read?

Date: March 22, 2015 19:51

Redhotcarpet
I dont know if he's well-read?

Okay! But he is.

Date: March 23, 2015 01:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:52 by camper88.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 23, 2015 19:26

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Apart from the amazing studio version, I especially like the live version that I have on my old vinyl "Liver Than You'll Ever Be"-boot, which is quite different from every other version I have heard (not that many from that period). I have not got a vocabulary to describe it.

It's similar to the Ya Yas-version, minus the extended Taylor solos?

That does not capture what for me is the difference or the magic.

That's way I remember it. Haven't listened to it in a couple of years, though.

This is from the Oakland 2nd show. The performance is notable in that (as far as I know) this is the only time Taylor soloed on the song prior to Detroit. I cannot come up with an explanation for that. Perhaps because it was a night of improvisation due to the amp problems. Taylor also took over the JJF riff during the 1st show when Keith's amp blew. I think the band's and Keith's performance on this song was especially strong the night before at the Forum, 2nd show.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 23, 2015 19:40

Here is the 11/08/69, 2nd show. SFTD is from 8:30 to 14:00. Jagger has a nice, coy intro: "We're gonna do one that requires your....sympathy." The enjoyment in the audience after the performance is evident: "Yeaaah!" "Mick Taylor!" This was a strong show for Keith.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-23 20:39 by pmk251.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 23, 2015 22:48

pmk251
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Apart from the amazing studio version, I especially like the live version that I have on my old vinyl "Liver Than You'll Ever Be"-boot, which is quite different from every other version I have heard (not that many from that period). I have not got a vocabulary to describe it.

This is from the Oakland 2nd show. The performance is notable in that (as far as I know) this is the only time Taylor soloed on the song prior to Detroit. I cannot come up with an explanation for that. Perhaps because it was a night of improvisation due to the amp problems. Taylor also took over the JJF riff during the 1st show when Keith's amp blew. I think the band's and Keith's performance on this song was especially strong the night before at the Forum, 2nd show.

What Keith, Taylor and Jagger do between 4:00 and 5:00, before Taylor goes full out, is pure magic.

Date: March 23, 2015 22:53

pmk251
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

Yeah, I have the first show as well. Interesting show indeed, with the acoustic part so early in the set.

Date: March 23, 2015 22:56

kleermaker
pmk251
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

What Keith, Taylor and Jagger do between 4:00 and 5:00, before Taylor goes full out, is pure magic.

Not just for Taylor's contribution. It seems to me it's been a long time since Keith has kept a steady rhythm like that without Ronnie there to fill in the spaces.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:35

duke richardson
Silver Dagger
Simply one of the most important and best loved songs that the Stones ever wrote. Apart from their flirtation with psychedelia this was their first real move away from pop into the brave new world of rock that was now taking the world by storm. At least the first that the public would hear.
Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Velvet Underground, the San Francisco bands – all had already laid down strong markers in abandoning pop or psychedelic pop to take new directions in heavier rock.

Yes, there were some experimental rockish wig outs on Satanic Majesties and Jumping Jack Flash gave us all a pointer but now was time for the real deal – the great era of the guitar solo was upon us and the Stones didn’t want to get left behind.

And boy, did the Stones deliver! Major big time. As guitar solos go they don’t get much better than that sublime, seering, beacon of sound that shoots like a laser beam from Keith’s guitar to our speakers at 2.52 for 40 seconds and that simply floors everything in its path. You ever listened to that original studio version in a disco or at full blast? It’s life-affirming, transcendental stuff – everything that rock music should do to transport you to a higher spiritual plain of ultra happiness. It’s a stop everything moment that creates ear to ear grins and thousand mile stares. Simply amazing. If anyone ever asks you what rock music is all about, just play them that and they’ll know.

Then there’s that simply irresistible rhythm. A samba. I can’t think of anyone in the pop/rock idiom who merged a Latin dance rhythm with pop or rock on an album before this. Not The Beatles, nor The Who, Dylan, Cream, The Yardbirds or any other of the era’s leading lights Santana were also still a year away from establishing themselves on a global scale.

Thanks to the One Plus One film we have the good luck to see this song being built up – laboriously bit by bit. It makes me sad to think that the Stones don’t write or create this way anymore. I guess they simply don’t have the patience. In those days they all had a great collective energy in wanting to produce art of staggering quality.

Just listen to the ingenious way that the chorus of Mick, Keith, Marianne, Anita, Brian, Charlie, Jimmy Miller and whoever else was lucky enough to be there push the song on with their infectious woo woo chanting. That’s a really black sound, with its roots not only in gospel but also in voodoo and call and response going right back to Congo Square in New Orleans in the mid-1800s – the birth of modern popular music.

And Charlie and Bill with Rocky Dijon on congas create a rhythm to die for. It grabs you by the nuts and doesn’t let go until the very last note fades away. Even today at concerts the woo wooing can carry on for a few minutes as the body slowly returns to its normal rhythm.

And how about those lyrics then? Inspired by Marianne’s great literary knowledge and foresight to give Mick the weird and wonderful book The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov as well as a book of Baudelaire poetry. Mick brilliantly took that inspiration about Satan’s arrival in society to pen a lyric that immediately hit home with the disaffected students of Europe and American army draftees. Very stirring, and unsettling, it brilliantly enhanced the Stones’ flirtation with the dark side and even led some of the establishment to believe that the band were now in league with the devil.

It remains, with Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler the songs that best represent the image of the Stones as disciples of darkness – polarising them against the neo-Christian Festival of Light and the establishment in general. But it also rubberstamped their bad boy credentials and help extend their career right through to today.

Sympathy For The Devil is as epic a rock song as you are ever likely to find.

>>And Charlie and Bill with Rocky Dijon on congas create a rhythm to die for<<

Bill there for the development of the song but Keith on bass on the released version.

yes but bill is still in the rhythm section on the final song, he plays maracas.

Date: May 30, 2015 13:42

treaclefingers
stones40
With sssoul the troubadour line could mean many things but this is the most likely -

Mick was not referring to the Beatles whose songs and
actions contributed to the great hippie trail searching for enlightenment
on the Indian subcontinent.
The "Troubadours" were in fact the hippies who followed the 'Beatles' to India in search of transendendal enlightenment or inner peace but never actually reached the end point of their journey.

The "Troubadours who got killed before they reached Bombay" refers to the hippies who traveled the "Hippie Trail" by road.(1967 onwards)
Many on them were killed and ripped off by drug peddlers in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Those shady deals were probably the "traps".

Good lord, I never thought I'd learn actual history from IORR.

Well done stones40!

this makes complete sense to me.

Date: May 30, 2015 13:47

kleermaker
pmk251
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

yes, it's them at their best. listening to this reminds me of how much better Taylor is when he is a little restrained.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: December 30, 2015 17:29

Would someone be willing to upload the official LA Friday 1975 video of SFTD somewhere (google docs, youtube, dailymotion)?

The bootleg vid show some great dancing by Jagger and a line of 70s ladies. Very festive. Just would like to see a better copy if possible. One of my favorite versions of the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 17:30 by muffie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2015 22:22

treaclefingers
with sssoul
Stones40, like I posted in the other thread just yesterday: I'm not buying that. Here's my reply again: [www.iorr.org]

I'm not sure I buy it either, but a beautiful hypothesis nonetheless!

Indeed! Just like Keith falling out of a coconut tree!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:04

(For French speakers) Excellent analysis of SFTD on French radio : "Sympathy For The Devil" : une messe vaudou sur un air de samba

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:37

Nice....and you don't need to understand French to understand what they are saying grinning smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 7, 2017 15:59

Speaking of SFTD, I just have to say this regarding the Ya Ya's version. Pure magic, especially towards the end where Taylor picks up the solo and Keith drops into rhythm. Keith's thrashing behind Taylor's lead is - for me - the most excellent example of why Keith Richards was the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: January 7, 2017 21:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
Speaking of SFTD, I just have to say this regarding the Ya Ya's version. Pure magic, especially towards the end where Taylor picks up the solo and Keith drops into rhythm. Keith's thrashing behind Taylor's lead is - for me - the most excellent example of why Keith Richards was the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time.

There are many examples showing us that Keith was one of the greatest -if not the greatest rhythm guitarist in rock music.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 8, 2017 00:56

Silver Dagger
Simply one of the most important and best loved songs that the Stones ever wrote. Apart from their flirtation with psychedelia this was their first real move away from pop into the brave new world of rock that was now taking the world by storm. At least the first that the public would hear.
Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Velvet Underground, the San Francisco bands – all had already laid down strong markers in abandoning pop or psychedelic pop to take new directions in heavier rock.

Yes, there were some experimental rockish wig outs on Satanic Majesties and Jumping Jack Flash gave us all a pointer but now was time for the real deal – the great era of the guitar solo was upon us and the Stones didn’t want to get left behind.

And boy, did the Stones deliver! Major big time. As guitar solos go they don’t get much better than that sublime, seering, beacon of sound that shoots like a laser beam from Keith’s guitar to our speakers at 2.52 for 40 seconds and that simply floors everything in its path. You ever listened to that original studio version in a disco or at full blast? It’s life-affirming, transcendental stuff – everything that rock music should do to transport you to a higher spiritual plain of ultra happiness. It’s a stop everything moment that creates ear to ear grins and thousand mile stares. Simply amazing. If anyone ever asks you what rock music is all about, just play them that and they’ll know.

Then there’s that simply irresistible rhythm. A samba. I can’t think of anyone in the pop/rock idiom who merged a Latin dance rhythm with pop or rock on an album before this. Not The Beatles, nor The Who, Dylan, Cream, The Yardbirds or any other of the era’s leading lights Santana were also still a year away from establishing themselves on a global scale.

Thanks to the One Plus One film we have the good luck to see this song being built up – laboriously bit by bit. It makes me sad to think that the Stones don’t write or create this way anymore. I guess they simply don’t have the patience. In those days they all had a great collective energy in wanting to produce art of staggering quality.

Just listen to the ingenious way that the chorus of Mick, Keith, Marianne, Anita, Brian, Charlie, Jimmy Miller and whoever else was lucky enough to be there push the song on with their infectious woo woo chanting. That’s a really black sound, with its roots not only in gospel but also in voodoo and call and response going right back to Congo Square in New Orleans in the mid-1800s – the birth of modern popular music.

And Charlie and Bill with Rocky Dijon on congas create a rhythm to die for. It grabs you by the nuts and doesn’t let go until the very last note fades away. Even today at concerts the woo wooing can carry on for a few minutes as the body slowly returns to its normal rhythm.

And how about those lyrics then? Inspired by Marianne’s great literary knowledge and foresight to give Mick the weird and wonderful book The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov as well as a book of Baudelaire poetry. Mick brilliantly took that inspiration about Satan’s arrival in society to pen a lyric that immediately hit home with the disaffected students of Europe and American army draftees. Very stirring, and unsettling, it brilliantly enhanced the Stones’ flirtation with the dark side and even led some of the establishment to believe that the band were now in league with the devil.

It remains, with Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler the songs that best represent the image of the Stones as disciples of darkness – polarising them against the neo-Christian Festival of Light and the establishment in general. But it also rubberstamped their bad boy credentials and help extend their career right through to today.

Sympathy For The Devil is as epic a rock song as you are ever likely to find.

hot smiley Love the passion!

Only thing i'd add is that by 1963 they were already one of the creators of the great guitar solo. smoking smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 8, 2017 15:02

TheflyingDutchman
HonkeyTonkFlash

There are many examples showing us that Keith was one of the greatest -if not the greatest rhythm guitarist in rock music.

Very true, but I'm just saying that for me his work on Ya Ya's Sympathy is a peak moment. And Ya Ya's has plenty of examples of it. Stray Cat Blues comes to mind and many others. I would also add his driving, chugging playing on songs like All Down The Line as heard on Some Girls Live and other performances of that era. His rhythm playing for the most part from 1969 - 1981 was from a whole other planet. I think working with Taylor, who played so much lead made Keith develop a very unique style. He is still a very good rhythm player at times but it seems that since 1989, he started that habit of taking his hands off the guitar more often and posing as contrasted with constant relentless aggressive playing. Actually, there were moments of such behavior quite a bit in 1981. I liked him best when he played those driving rhythms constantly throughout the songs.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-08 15:08 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home