Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Sympathy For The Devil
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 19, 2015 17:36

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Troubadour Tour 2015!
Sounds like a very short tour

Especially if they book Mumbai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 17:43 by schillid.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 19, 2015 22:29

camper88
with sssoul
Are Indian musicians really called troubadours on any wide scale, though?

Okay, one more kick at it:

In 1950, 1,000 Gyuto monks known for their overtone singing or chordal chanting (monastery founded in the 15th c.)
were attacked (and most were killed) by an invading Chinese army. Of the 1,000 monks,
sixty managed to escape to India to restart the monastery.

Someone proposed that in the thread schillid unearthed, and I like it! Especially if anyone ever called them troubadours. "I laid traps for the Gyuto monks" would scan exactly the same,
so something in me really feels a need for some evidence that there was any reason to call them anything else, you know?
But I truly do like that idea!

Someone needs to ask Mick

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 19, 2015 22:44

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:58 by camper88.

Posted by: chillrob ()
Date: March 20, 2015 05:22

Well, this is my first post on the board ever, so please be gentle with me...

SFTD is one of my favorite songs ever, obviously a sentiment shared by many here.

About 3 years I was listening to a small college radio station near Atlantic City, NJ, when I heard them play a version of the song I had never heard before. At first I thought it was a live version, but it didn't sound like any I had heard before.

As it went on, it sounded very much like some type of outtake version; much of the instrumental portion sounded exactly the same as the original, but with a slightly different mix. The vocals seemed to be a completely different take, but one that must have been done around the same time period as the original. However, there were portions of the version played that had no equivalent in the original released version, and this one went on very long, at least 10 minutes!

Unfortunately the version played was not identified. I made a call to the radio station an hour or two later, but could not get through to the DJ to ask about it.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it was I heard, and where a copy might be had. I would likely recognize it if it was a common bootleg version. I did just check out the David Frost show version, thinking that could be it. That was very interesting, but was not it.

I did just realize that it could possibly be from the "One Plus One / Sympathy For The Devil" film, or some sort of mix made from its soundtrack; I have never watched that movie so don't know. I will have to see if it is available online somewhere.

Would much appreciate any info or ideas from anyone reading here. Thanks!

Date: March 20, 2015 05:48

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:58 by camper88.

Date: March 20, 2015 06:23

I'll have to watch that later when I have a better internet connection; is that clip from the film? I'm going to try to download the whole movie sometime soon.

Date: March 20, 2015 10:22

camper88
I'm at peace with the idea that musicians become troubadours when they travel ...
musicians traveling from Tibet/ China to India ...
I can buy the idea that they're essentially troubadours in their act of travelling.

I can almost buy it. Can I take it as a hire-purchase sort of deal?
Until someone makes the Mick explain what he was on about :E

On a side note: Do you suppose this is on the list of Forbidden Questions interviewers have to agree to
before being granted an audience? Why else would it never have come up in interviews over the decades?

Date: March 20, 2015 10:35

Chillrob, you've checked out the Rock & Roll Circus rendition, right?
If not: Marcovandereijk posted it on page 1 of this thread.

Date: March 20, 2015 11:25

Pretty sure it was not the straight R'N'R Circus version; although thanks for getting me to listen to it again, I don't think I had heard it since soon after the CD came out 15 years ago or whenever. Who was playing piano on this version? Brian Jones? I saw him miming piano on the David Frost show version.

Some of the vocalizations sounded similar to the end of the RNRC version, but the backing track sounded more similar to the original, and it was much longer. I guess it is possible that someone at the radio did a mashup mix of several sources, but that seems unlikely as well.

Date: March 20, 2015 11:27

chillrob
Pretty sure it was not the straight R'N'R Circus version; although thanks for getting me to listen to it again, I don't think I had heard it since soon after the CD came out 15 years ago or whenever. Who was playing piano on this version? Brian Jones? I saw him miming piano on the David Frost show version.

Some of the vocalizations sounded similar to the end of the RNRC version, but the backing track sounded more similar to the original, and it was much longer. I guess it is possible that someone at the radio did a mashup mix of several sources, but that seems unlikely as well.

Nicky.

Date: March 20, 2015 11:28

Hm. Have you talked to the radio station? Since you remember it, someone there might remember it too.

Nicky Hopkins played at the Rock & Roll Circus.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 20, 2015 12:15

Chillrob, your experience remind me of when I was in an Amsterdam coffee shop in 2003, getting stoned with a few friends and they played a weird version of Sympathy right there in the coffee shop. As I remember it, it sounded like the one you describe -- close to the original but different. In my stoned head it had a guitar riff similar to the Ya-Ya's version, pretty much like the Beggars Banquet version with Keith's Ya-Ya's riff tucked on. And it sounded fantastic, is my recollection. I should of course have asked the DJ, but never did. And I've never found it since, and I question its existence at all.

This was shortly after that weird Neptunes/Fatboy Slim remix was released, and it was getting lots of airplay, so I thought it could be some kind of b-side or whatever from that one, but I have no clue at the moment.

Date: March 20, 2015 12:34

LieB
Chillrob, your experience remind me of when I was in an Amsterdam coffee shop in 2003, getting stoned with a few friends and they played a weird version of Sympathy right there in the coffee shop. As I remember it, it sounded like the one you describe -- close to the original but different. In my stoned head it had a guitar riff similar to the Ya-Ya's version, pretty much like the Beggars Banquet version with Keith's Ya-Ya's riff tucked on. And it sounded fantastic, is my recollection. I should of course have asked the DJ, but never did. And I've never found it since, and I question its existence at all.

This was shortly after that weird Neptunes/Fatboy Slim remix was released, and it was getting lots of airplay, so I thought it could be some kind of b-side or whatever from that one, but I have no clue at the moment.

From Hyde Park 1969, perhaps?

Date: March 20, 2015 14:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:58 by camper88.

Date: March 20, 2015 16:51

I believe I can explain the Patti-oh, but don't let that stop you!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 20, 2015 17:34

DandelionPowderman
From Hyde Park 1969, perhaps?

Nope, definitely not. My recollection is of a clear and punchy sounding version of the studio cut (more or less) with an additional guitar. I remember thinking "Dang! Where did this mix come from?" or something like that. But part of me suspects that I made this up somehow (which isn't really my style at all). smiling smiley

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 18:09

With sssoul the troubadour line could mean many things but this is the most likely -

Mick was not referring to the Beatles whose songs and
actions contributed to the great hippie trail searching for enlightenment
on the Indian subcontinent.
The "Troubadours" were in fact the hippies who followed the 'Beatles' to India in search of transendendal enlightenment or inner peace but never actually reached the end point of their journey.

The "Troubadours who got killed before they reached Bombay" refers to the hippies who traveled the "Hippie Trail" by road.(1967 onwards)
Many on them were killed and ripped off by drug peddlers in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Those shady deals were probably the "traps".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2015 19:01

stones40
With sssoul the troubadour line could mean many things but this is the most likely -

Mick was not referring to the Beatles whose songs and
actions contributed to the great hippie trail searching for enlightenment
on the Indian subcontinent.
The "Troubadours" were in fact the hippies who followed the 'Beatles' to India in search of transendendal enlightenment or inner peace but never actually reached the end point of their journey.

The "Troubadours who got killed before they reached Bombay" refers to the hippies who traveled the "Hippie Trail" by road.(1967 onwards)
Many on them were killed and ripped off by drug peddlers in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Those shady deals were probably the "traps".

Good lord, I never thought I'd learn actual history from IORR.

Well done stones40!

Date: March 20, 2015 19:26

Stones40, like I posted in the other thread just yesterday: I'm not buying that. Here's my reply again: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 20, 2015 19:37

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Sympathy For The Devil
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, June 4 - 10, 1968 and
Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles, California, US, July 5 - 25, 1968

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums, backing vocals
Bill Wyman - maracas, backing vocals
Brian Jones - backing vocals
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Rocky Dijon - congas
Jimmy Miller - percussion
Michael Cooper, Anita Pallenberg & Marianne Faithfull - backing vocals

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year, stolen many man's soul and faith
I was ‘round when Jesus Christ had His moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate washed his hands and sealed His fate
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game

Stuck around St. Petersburg when I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Tzar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank, held a general's rank, when the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, oh yeah
What's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee while your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades for the Gods they made
I shouted out: Who killed the Kennedys, when after all it was you and me
Let me please introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

But what's confusing you is just the nature of my game, yeah
Just as every cop is a criminal and all the sinners, Saints
As heads is tails, just call me Lucifer, 'cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste, yeah
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, yeah
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game, mean it, get down

Tell me baby, what’s my name?
Tell me honey, can you guess my name?
Tell me baby, what’s my name…

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on: The Rolling Stones - “Beggars Banquet” LP
(Decca SKL 4955) UK, December 6, 1968

Great song, the interaction between Taylor and Richards makes the YaYa's version the best I have ever heard, and hats off to Watts, Wyman and Jagger. The Stones at their absolute peak!!

Date: March 20, 2015 21:30

with sssoul
Stones40, like I posted in the other thread just yesterday: I'm not buying that. Here's my reply again: [www.iorr.org]

I'm not sure I buy it either, but a beautiful hypothesis nonetheless!

Date: March 20, 2015 21:35

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:59 by camper88.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 20, 2015 22:45

Camper88, nice job on that last post you have clearly connected the dots. The historical significance and brutality theme definitely rules out the hippie/Beatle connection for me but I'm not entirely convinced that Mick isn't alluding to some much earlier atrocity, possibly 13th, 14th or 15th century.

My guess is a thorough read of Baudelaire and Bulgakov might produce a clue. Of course he might have made the whole line up because it sounded cool and enunciated well as a lyric.

peace

Date: March 20, 2015 23:14

Yeah, Robert Graves definitely seems like someone Mick and Keith could be reading.
(None of the other lines in the song are simply made-up nonsense, so the suggestion that this one line
is a meaningless exception is another theory I'm not buying.) Nicely nicely deciphered, camper88!

Date: March 20, 2015 23:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:59 by camper88.

Date: March 20, 2015 23:20

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:59 by camper88.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 21, 2015 02:50

I believe the line refers to a news story in England at the time about some British hippies who were killed in India… Can't remember the specifics but I think this is what inspired that line in the song...

Date: March 21, 2015 03:15

camper88
Naturalust
I'm not entirely convinced that Mick isn't alluding to some much earlier atrocity, possibly 13th, 14th or 15th century.

peace

Thanks Naturalust. Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced myself.

I just don't have any evidence for 13th-15th century atrocities with troubadours near Bombay. That's the challenge for any reading, I suppose--supporting it.

On to Baudelaire and Bulgakov, then.

Cheers

I read Master and the Margarita several years ago...a bit dizzying. War and Peace was an easier read.

Date: March 21, 2015 03:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:00 by camper88.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2015 03:49

Only Mick knows ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home