Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones Albums, Ranked Worst to Best (Ultimate Classic Rock)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 16, 2015 15:19

DandelionPowderman
What about those who only like B2B and SF?

they are statistically insignificant.

Date: March 16, 2015 15:24

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
What about those who only like B2B and SF?

they are statistically insignificant.

Just like the die-hard Exile and VL-supporters?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 16, 2015 15:59

GasLightStreet
TSMR is a very poor album with some excellent songs on it. That's why it sucks as an album. It's too weighed down by the poor songs on it. It's nothing to do with making them better or sound better later. It's just how it turned out. There was definitely a maturation musically after BTButtons with some of what was done on TSMR (2000 Light Years, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, Citadel - astounding that the album before this is a completely different band when compared to those tracks).

That's where it ends. The rest of the songs, as experimental as they are being moot, must've been recorded before they decided to musically mature because they're very... dumb. Like a young band full of kids that want to create mystical settings in their music with whacky songs and sounds.

JJF and BB was the result of the maturation and, mostly so, Jimmy Miller.

On the contrary, the utterly experimental SATANIES MAJESTIES REQUEST is greater than the sum of its parts to a larger degree than any other Stones-album, despite the fact that there are more to so many of these parts than their reputation. It is an entity. The outcome of all this is that this album is on par with and consequently in the class of the never contested greatness of their four studio albums '68-'72.

Late edit: An extra superfluous and misplaced "in" taken away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-17 03:09 by Witness.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 16, 2015 16:36

Every body has a different list. That's what make The Stones so great.

Date: March 16, 2015 16:53

Witness
GasLightStreet
TSMR is a very poor album with some excellent songs on it. That's why it sucks as an album. It's too weighed down by the poor songs on it. It's nothing to do with making them better or sound better later. It's just how it turned out. There was definitely a maturation musically after BTButtons with some of what was done on TSMR (2000 Light Years, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, Citadel - astounding that the album before this is a completely different band when compared to those tracks).

That's where it ends. The rest of the songs, as experimental as they are being moot, must've been recorded before they decided to musically mature because they're very... dumb. Like a young band full of kids that want to create mystical settings in their music with whacky songs and sounds.

On the contrary, the utterly experimental SATANIES MAJESTIES REQUEST is greater than the sum of its parts to a larger degree than any other Stones-album, despite the fact that there are more to so many of these parts than their reputation. It is an entity. The outcome of all this is that this album is on par with and in consequently in the class of the never contested greatness of their four studio albums '68-'72.

There are only a couple of complete duffs on TSMR, as CREEM magazine once opined on the track Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together..."because it's so fecking stoopid!"

Date: March 16, 2015 16:58

"Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together and See What Happens" is even 3 times worse than the regular "Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together".

Date: March 16, 2015 17:02

There is obviously a '60's bias with this list.

'Undercover' and 'A Bigger Bang' are both much better than the 1967 albums.

'Between the Buttons' is overrrated. "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" versus "Laugh,I Nearly Died" ????? Seriously no comparison.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 16, 2015 17:37

Winning Ugly VXII
There is obviously a '60's bias with this list.

'Undercover' and 'A Bigger Bang' are both much better than the 1967 albums.

'Between the Buttons' is overrrated. "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" versus "Laugh,I Nearly Died" ????? Seriously no comparison.

The bias is to a great extent a logic consequence of their output. I don't agree to your views on what is supposed to be overrated.

I for one operate with approximately 12 great albums, without ranking between them any longer:
ROLLING STONES (VOL 1)
[I include the German Decca compilation ] AROUND AND AROUND¨
AFTERMATH
BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
SOME GIRLS
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
UNDERCOVER

I consider
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
A BIGGER BANG
to be verging on the semi-great, but distinctly not living up to be outright great. As to verging on semi-great, that can also be said about GOATS HEAD SOUP. By the way, I guess that I am more pro of their latest two studio albums than most posters. For instance, I argue that "Sweet NeoCon" is an important Stones song.

I agree that "Laugh, I Nearly Died" is a great song (I listened to it yesterday, in fact, not because of threads here.). But so is "Who's Been Sleeping Here" in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 17:38 by Witness.

Date: March 16, 2015 17:49

Winning Ugly VXII
"Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together and See What Happens" is even 3 times worse than the regular "Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together".

only cuz it's longer.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 16, 2015 21:26

I also like ABB and Undercover overall better than the 1967 albums. Though there are a few classics like 2000 LYFH, She's A Rainbow, Connection and She Smiled Sweetly.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: March 16, 2015 22:52

Reading the lists above, I come to think that I'm really far from being an "orthodox" RS fan (or maybe I ain't a fan at all winking smiley), as my list differs from others immensely (from best to worst):

Sticky Fingers
Steel Wheels
It's Only R'n'r
Goats Head Soup
Dirty Work
Tattoo You
Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet
Black And Blue
Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo Lounge
Some Girls
Aftermath
Exile on Main Street (hey, this one is just TOO LONG, has anybody noticed this?)
Rolling Stones I
Bigger Bang
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Out of Our Heads
Rolling Stones II
Between the Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request

(have I missed anything?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 22:53 by tomekdp.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 16, 2015 23:41

RomanCandle
Can't choose between Exile, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed, or between Aftermath/Goats Head Soup. That is like choosing between Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane, Wagner and Brahms, or between your right ball and your left ball I guess.

Your wife and the lady next door grinning smiley

Date: March 17, 2015 04:01

tomekdp
Reading the lists above, I come to think that I'm really far from being an "orthodox" RS fan (or maybe I ain't a fan at all winking smiley), as my list differs from others immensely (from best to worst):

Sticky Fingers
Steel Wheels
It's Only R'n'r
Goats Head Soup
Dirty Work
Tattoo You
Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet
Black And Blue
Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo Lounge
Some Girls
Aftermath
Exile on Main Street (hey, this one is just TOO LONG, has anybody noticed this?)
Rolling Stones I
Bigger Bang
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Out of Our Heads
Rolling Stones II
Between the Buttons

(have I missed anything?)

Only a true fan would have Dirty Work at number 5. We may question your taste, but never your enthusiasm or courage.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 17, 2015 05:29

Dirty Work is clearly their worst album. The album that everybody seems to not like is It's Only Rock 'N' Roll I love that album!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: March 17, 2015 06:40

Witness
GasLightStreet

On the contrary, the utterly experimental SATANIES MAJESTIES REQUEST is greater than the sum of its parts to a larger degree than any other Stones-album, despite the fact that there are more to so many of these parts than their reputation. It is an entity. The outcome of all this is that this album is on par with and consequently in the class of the never contested greatness of their four studio albums '68-'72.

Late edit: An extra superfluous and misplaced "in" taken away.

What Witness said...

Date: March 17, 2015 11:38

slew
Dirty Work is clearly their worst album. The album that everybody seems to not like is It's Only Rock 'N' Roll I love that album!

Obviously, it's not clearly their worst album, if you look at all the posters's lists smiling smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 17, 2015 12:02

(from best to good)

Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Black And Blue
Tattoo You
Rolling Stones I
It's Only Rock'n'roll
Bridges to Babylon
A Bigger Bang
Aftermath
Out of Our Heads
Emotional Rescue
Steel Wheels
Between the Buttons
Voodoo Lounge
Undercover
Rolling Stones II
Dirty Work

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 17, 2015 13:26

The best albums, ever, which I can listen to every day, at any time and still marvel:

Exile On Main St.
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Beggars Banquet
Tattoo You
Some Girls

Very good albums, which I don't listen to a lot, but when I do, I enjoy them:

Goats Head Soup
Aftermath
England's Newest Hit Makers
Out Of Our Heads
Emotional Rescue

Ok albums, with some good to great stuff on it, but also songs I rather skip:

Now!
Bridges To Babylon
It's Only Rock'n Roll
12 x 5
Black And Blue
December's Children
Steel Wheels
Undercover

Albums I never listen to, although they might contain 1 or 2 songs which are great:

Voodoo Lounge
Between The Buttons
A Bigger Bang
Dirty Work

Date: March 17, 2015 15:07

The history of The Rolling Stones albums are the most transcending and ever-evolving collection of music recorded. While not all were "masterpieces",
their lower favored albums are certainly more listenable than so many other acts from the 60's, 7o's, 80's... ever. I've always preferred to include the "live" albums in Stones favorites, because so many of the live recordings capture more than just a collection of songs, but a re-invention of the wheel, a "vibe" of the time, plus cover songs and guest performers not included on the studio versions.
My rankings of the album collection does change from month to month. From best to pretty damn good:

Sticky Fingers/Exile on Mainstreet/Some Girls/Let It Bleed (All tied for #1)
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Beggar's Banquet/Tattoo You (tied #3)
Goats Head Soup/Emotional Rescue
Aftermath/Between The Buttons/Satanic (these 3 are ranked in mood phases - sometimes I MUST listen to these 3 on repeat for several days in a row)
IORR/Black & Blue
Love You Live
England's Newest Hit Makers/12x5/Now!/Out Of Our Heads/December's (another great batch that I must enjoy together. Once I start one album, I usually get stuck in the era. What a great era!)
Stripped
In no paticular order:
Dirty Work (the production held this collection back more than the band's effort. Bad move on not including Memphis. Winning Ugly = Mick solo, & Hold Back should have been held back)
Bridges To Babylon (too much "B-side" stuff over-shadowed a great collection of songs. Saint Of Me and Out of Control were great songs!)
Undercover
A Bigger Bang (I love this album, except I hate Sweet Neocon and Infamy)
Voodoo Lounge (too much)
Steel Wheel (could have been mixed better- but I like these songs)
Honorable mention batch #1: No Security, Still Life... most all the "live collections make my rotation regularly minus Got Live...)
Honorable Mentions #2: The compilations - most of these are nicely assembled. Includes High Tide, Through The Past, Sucking In The 70's, Made In The Shade and many more. Hot Rocks is by far the GREATEST "Best Of" collection of any band ever.
Honorable Mentions #3: Metamorphosis and Flowers - not my favorites on any day, but they do include some great music.
Bottom of the list: Got Live If You Want It - This one is hard to listen to. I wish they had released a better quality of live from this era - I listen to my Live Hawaii when I go to this era.
Bonus Goodies: The Bonus deluxe material from the last few years: Some Girls/Exile
So that's me - tough to rate such an outstanding collection.
Now what about the video collections?

- Doggy

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 17, 2015 15:32

Would be a waste of time to compile the list: it changes every second minute.

The only thing I can say is that if Exile (often on top of my list) is worth 100, Voodoo (always on the lowest spot) would be 90!

C

Date: March 17, 2015 15:37

DandelionPowderman
slew

Obviously, it's not clearly their worst album, if you look at all the posters's lists smiling smiley

If some people lack clarity though, his statement could still be true.

Date: March 17, 2015 15:44

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
slew

It's not transparent enough to see...

Date: March 17, 2015 16:41

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
slew

It's not transparent enough to see...

the sun ain't yellow it's chicken.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 17, 2015 18:28

charlie once rated Stripped as their second best album. Bridges has a lot of variety and if Undercover had a successful Angie style ballad people would hold it up and wave it around a lot more.
always loved the "sound" of Emotional & Black n Blue.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 17, 2015 19:05

Ranked Best to Worst...

1. LET IT BLEED
2. EXILE ON MAIN STREET
3. BEGGARS BANQUET
4. STICKY FINGERS
5. GOATS HEAD SOUP
6. SOME GIRLS
7. TATTOO YOU
8. AFTERMATH
9. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
10. VOODOO LOUNGE
11. BRIDGES TO BABYLON
12. EMOTIONAL RESCUE
13. UNDERCOVER
14. STEEL WHEELS
15. IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL
16. THE ROLLING STONES
17. 12 x 5
18. NOW
19. OUT OF OUR HEADS
20. DECEMBER'S CHILDREN
21. BLACK AND BLUE
22. A BIGGER BANG
23. DIRTY WORK
24. SATANIC MAJESTIES

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-17 19:05 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: March 17, 2015 19:45

sundevil
charlie once rated Stripped as their second best album. Bridges has a lot of variety and if Undercover had a successful Angie style ballad people would hold it up and wave it around a lot more.
always loved the "sound" of Emotional & Black n Blue.

Won't, Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) work in a pinch?

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: March 18, 2015 13:35

slew

You see - nothing is "clear" when it comes to individual tastes or feelings.
So I'd rather say it's not "clearly their worst" album, but rather "most disliked".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:27

RaahenTiikeri
Bridges to babylon as second worst?????
Never...

My thought as well.

The Rolling Stones Live Albums Ranked
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: February 27, 2017 01:35

Another fun list...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones Live Albums Ranked
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2017 03:23

They got # 1 right, but the rest of the list is way out of order.
Shine a Light at #4...? eye rolling smileythumbs down

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home