Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T. Cricket: An American in India trying to understand it!
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 12, 2015 14:42

I have been in India for 9 days and, understandably, seeing lots of cricket in TV. I have a couple of questions (well, I have many but I'll keep it to two):
Doesn't the bowler get quite worn out with all the sprinting prior to realeasing the ball?

Secondly, are the World Cup matches shown live? It seems that after the "batter" does whatever he does, that there is a fast-forward to the next bowl.

Thanks. By the way, I am actually enjoying it (I am a life-long baseball fan)

Re: O.T. Cricket: An American in India trying to understand it!
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 12, 2015 14:56

DaveG
I have been in India for 9 days and, understandably, seeing lots of cricket in TV. I have a couple of questions (well, I have many but I'll keep it to two):
Doesn't the bowler get quite worn out with all the sprinting prior to realeasing the ball?

Secondly, are the World Cup matches shown live? It seems that after the "batter" does whatever he does, that there is a fast-forward to the next bowl.

1. No, they are very fit
2. Don't know

Just in case you've beeen having any problems with the rules, here's a quick rundown,,,,

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 14:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:39

EddieByword
DaveG

1. No, they are very fit
2. Don't know

Just in case you've beeen having any problems with the rules, here's a quick rundown,,,,

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

speaking as an outsider, it's great to get the inside scoop.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:53

In the World Cup which is 50 overs a side, a bowler can only bowl 10 overs maximum which are usually split up, so i wouldn't imagine they would get too fatigued. It's different in Test matches though where a side could potentially be bowling for two or more days. Usually a fast/medium bowler gets about ten overs or so before being taken out of the attack and then brought back when the other bowlers have had a bowl. Spin bowlers though generally bowl much longer 'spells' due to, i'm guessing the comparative lack of physical excertion.

Regarding tv, all the matches are being shown live here (uk), mostly in the early hours of the morning. After each ball you get a replay of something that has happened or analysis from one of the commentators. There is a highlights show later where that is mostly cut out.

Date: March 12, 2015 17:13

Nice one Eddie, that is indeed the standard explanation of the game. Nothing else to add, although 'Silly Mid Off' may take some explaining......

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 12, 2015 17:16

still ill
In the World Cup which is 50 overs a side, a bowler can only bowl 10 overs maximum which are usually split up, so i wouldn't imagine they would get too fatigued. It's different in Test matches though where a side could potentially be bowling for two or more days. Usually a fast/medium bowler gets about ten overs or so before being taken out of the attack and then brought back when the other bowlers have had a bowl. Spin bowlers though generally bowl much longer 'spells' due to, i'm guessing the comparative lack of physical excertion.

Regarding tv, all the matches are being shown live here (uk), mostly in the early hours of the morning. After each ball you get a replay of something that has happened or analysis from one of the commentators. There is a highlights show later where that is mostly cut out.
is your username a Smiths' song?

Date: March 12, 2015 17:28

RomanCandle
still ill

Yep, one of their very best, maybe the best full stop.

Date: March 12, 2015 20:40

still ill
RomanCandle
still ill

thumbs up

The Smiths' debut album is underrated: clever lyrics and A F-UCKING GREAT BASSLINE on "This Charming Man"!

Very sensitive guitar playing:

I hate the Hatful of Hollow version, though.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 12, 2015 21:17

Since you are in India, why not go to a game? Any level will do. Even without being fully conversant in the rules, you will enjoy the festive atmosphere. India is probably the financial hub of cricket, somewhat controversially. And your experience will earn you major props next time you meet an expat Indian.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 12, 2015 21:39

Reminds me of my one and only trip to India, backpacking for 6 weeks with an Indrail card which was used at times on steam trains.

Cricket was played everywhere , on any patch of grass or land.

Ian Botham, our great English cricketer was very popular at that time,and they were forever asking me if I knew Iron Bottom. I had to say no, never have met him. Lovely country and lovely people. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 21:44 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:27

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:31 by colonial.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:29

I'm out...........

Date: March 12, 2015 23:14

RomanCandle
still ill
RomanCandle
still ill

thumbs up

The Smiths' debut album is underrated: clever lyrics and A F-UCKING GREAT BASSLINE on "This Charming Man"!

Prefer the debut album version as well, same with Hand in Glove. Reel Around The Fountain is better on Hatful though.

Did Rourke ever play a bassline that was any less than great? Very underrated.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:41

I spent a summer in Oxford and had the good fortune to watch cricket with some gents who kindly explained the rules to me. Once I finally had a clue, I loved it. I think the multi-day test matches where you end up playing for a draw -- i.e. playing not to lose isn't too exciting, but I think the game is very cool.

T@3

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:52

When I was in India the locals used to be playing very early in the morning, mainly due to the heat, but it is like a religion for them.

I think it's a fantastic game.

Date: March 13, 2015 03:19

DeanGoodman
Since you are in India, why not go to a game? Any level will do. Even without being fully conversant in the rules, you will enjoy the festive atmosphere. India is probably the financial hub of cricket, somewhat controversially. And your experience will earn you major props next time you meet an expat Indian.

Dean, good idea! If I were staying longer or if I had thought of it sooner, I would definitely make the effort to attend a match. I am departing India tonight.

Thanks everyone for the comments. The concept of the game is beginning to develop in my mind. However, in a week's time I'll be back in the US and my mind will irresistibly migrate towards baseball, as it has every year for as long I can remember. The season begins in a few weeks. But, I do enjoy watching cricket!

Date: March 13, 2015 03:40

DaveG
I do enjoy watching cricket!

So did Abraham Lincoln, apparently. (According to the Donald Bradman Museum in Bowral)

Date: March 13, 2015 03:42

DeanGoodman
DaveG
I do enjoy watching cricket!

So did Abraham Lincoln, apparently. (According to the Donald Bradman Museum in Bowral)

Maybe he should have gone to a cricket match rather than The Ford Theater!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2015 05:16

Forget it, it's utterly incomprehensible.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 13, 2015 06:22

71Tele

>grinning smiley< hahaha >grinning smiley<

a couple years ago when I was in Australia and New Zealand, when I would get back to my hotel or B&B room late in the evening, I would turn on the television and cricket would be on almost every night. I was determined to figure out the game. I would say that after hours and hours of intense watching, all I can say is, I still don't understand any of it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 13, 2015 09:46

still ill
RomanCandle
still ill
RomanCandle
still ill

thumbs up

Prefer the debut album version as well, same with Hand in Glove. Reel Around The Fountain is better on Hatful though.

Did Rourke ever play a bassline that was any less than great? Very underrated.

This is a perfect illustration of cricket, where things chug along so slowly there's plenty of time for detours into the considerations of the quality of the Smiths' bassist--I expect you were both enjoying a cream tea while you discussed that--before getting back to the action, which will be along sometime soon and will briefly knock you for six, prompting you to shout OWZAT!,before subsiding back into a comparative consideration of Stones' guitarists, possible show dates/venues, etc.

Date: March 13, 2015 10:16

[/quote]

This is a perfect illustration of cricket, where things chug along so slowly there's plenty of time for detours into the considerations of the quality of the Smiths' bassist--I expect you were both enjoying a cream tea while you discussed that--before getting back to the action, which will be along sometime soon and will briefly knock you for six, prompting you to shout OWZAT!,before subsiding back into a comparative consideration of Stones' guitarists, possible show dates/venues, etc.[/quote]

Ha ha very true!

Date: March 13, 2015 12:24

Currently listening to Hatful of Hollow. "Hand in Glove", "Handsome Devil", "Girl Afraid"... Stunning tracklist! Did the Smiths ever release a bad song? And this is not even their best compilation/album. I don't know why die-hard fans think Hatful is the best Smiths' "album".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-13 12:25 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 13, 2015 12:44

crawdaddy
Reminds me of my one and only trip to India, backpacking for 6 weeks with an Indrail card which was used at times on steam trains.

My that sounds like a great time!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 13, 2015 14:28

71Tele

its easy :-)

Think of it like a Stones tour with mick taylor playing acoustic guitar on satisfaction.
makes sense to some people...and utterly incomprehensible to others..

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 13, 2015 15:02

An important rule to remember is you can't bowl under arm,the infamous incident from 1981 is still fresh in the memories of some kiwis.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 13, 2015 15:09

klrkcr
An important rule to remember is you can't bowl under arm,the infamous incident from 1981 is still fresh in the memories of some kiwis.

back then you could....

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 13, 2015 15:13

Eleanor Rigby
klrkcr

back then you could....

Yes you could,but didn't they have the rule changed before the Chappell's were off the ground?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2015 22:15

Eleanor Rigby
71Tele

its easy :-)

Think of it like a Stones tour with mick taylor playing acoustic guitar on satisfaction.
makes sense to some people...and utterly incomprehensible to others..

Then count me in the latter category...I did enjoy touring Lord's Cricket Grounds last year though.

Date: March 13, 2015 23:27

71Tele

It's a bit more complicated than rounders baseball, I admit.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home