Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Please do not wake up old threads
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:59

Whenever I post a new thread on a topic & it has been addressed in a prior thread, I will get several follow-up posts with links to the prior thread. Even if that prior thread is from 2009. Plus a few smart-a$$ posts about how to use IORR's search function.

But now it sounds like if I bump a prior thread, I'll get slapped down too. I predict this issue will be discussed ad nauseam in the near future.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:00

The only way to make a thread read-only is to manually close it at a certain point. The problem is you never know when a discussion is fading out, and there are hundreds of discussions going on. I just do not have the time for it. I do IORR in my spare time... That is why I rely on common sense from everyone. Makes life easier.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:26

Looks like a new thread with a back-link to the old one is the best bet. But what usually happens if you do that is that people start posting on both the new thread and the old one... You can't win.

Anyway, at least we'll have an answer for the next clever-dick who gets his kicks from telling people they should learn to use the Search function.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:35

At least now no one will have to start a thread with "Apologies if this has been posted here before...."

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 13, 2015 00:00

Green Lady
Looks like a new thread with a back-link to the old one is the best bet. But what usually happens if you do that is that people start posting on both the new thread and the old one... You can't win.

Anyway, at least we'll have an answer for the next clever-dick who gets his kicks from telling people they should learn to use the Search function.

There's a few bossy Betty's that do the same, but maybe it just comes across that way and they are really just trying to be helpful? That's where those emoticons come in handy.

Anyhow, apologies if this has been posted here before.... smiling smiley thumbs up >grinning smiley<

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 13, 2015 00:05

Well said BV totally agree. Smacks of egocentricity.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 13, 2015 00:10

paulywaul
But but but but but ... wot happens if I or anyone else were for example to (heaven forbid) take a BRITISH AIRWAYS flight to any or all of the forthcoming Stones shows, and in keeping with tradition - the world's crappiest airline would ensure they had a thoroughly miserable travelling experience from start to finish ?

Then we'd have to resurrect this thread ...

[www.iorr.org]

... and quite deservedly, tear a strip off BA !!

So BV please, do not consign the BA thread to the trash ... it might be needed over the forthcoming months as members of the Stones public misguidedly jump on British Airways flights to get to America for some of these shows.
JUst book Sir Richards and let it go.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 13, 2015 01:07

stonehearted
At least now no one will have to start a thread with "Apologies if this has been posted here before...."

Probably still best to start all Mick Taylor posts with that winking smiley and pity the poor soul who actually starts a new thread with his name in it.....

peace

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 13, 2015 01:44

Naturalust
stonehearted

Probably still best to start all Mick Taylor posts with that winking smiley and pity the poor soul who actually starts a new thread with his name in it.....

peace

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 13, 2015 01:47

Hey this reminds me to ask, What's the status of Mick and and Chrissy Shrimpton?

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: March 13, 2015 05:35

doubledoor
Hey this reminds me to ask, What's the status of Mick and and Chrissy Shrimpton?

That's totally pre-purge. I think it is fair game.

Date: March 13, 2015 10:31

The old BA thread from 2010 is actually quite charming, sort of emotional, so I have prepared it for a new life in the rare event that BA might still give problems this year. It is a special service and I can't do that with every thread, I hope everone understand that.

Personally, I never fly in on show day if I can avoid it. I was two minutes close of loosing the show start at Wembley 1990 last show, due to cancelled flights, and I arrived into Montreal Canada with an intercontinental LH flight via Frankfurt in 2013 less than one hour before the Stones went on stage, not good for your mental health.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: March 13, 2015 23:24

I too have posted in the past and been bollocked by a forum member saying something along the lines of " this subject was discussed four years ago, how dare you not do your research and post on that thread instead of creating another one"

Date: March 13, 2015 23:34

MrThompsonWooft
I too have posted in the past and been bollocked by a forum member saying something along the lines of " this subject was discussed four years ago, how dare you not do your research and post on that thread instead of creating another one"

Well just do not take it personally, no worries. Nothing wrong about opening a new thread, as long as there is not one already on page one... It is a simple merge for me, no problem.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 13, 2015 23:56

I must say that I don't agree with all this discrimination over old threads. A lot of the threads on IORR have nothing to do with news and are discussions and opinions on songs and issues that are decades old. I often enjoy reading old threads as much or more than the new ones. The rule that I can't contribute to a discussion because it was started over 6 months ago is a bit strange, imo.

I know this is Bjornulf's site and he is big on making this a site for news about the band, their tours and music, but it has obviously become much more than that. Plenty of people who post here probably haven't even been to a Stones show in years, or plan to. They are here to talk about the era of the Stones they love best. I mean how many great discussions have we had about Brian Jones...this certainly isn't in the current events category.

Erasing all the threads over 6 months old like the editor has suggested and even done in the past would not only de-value the IORR site but it seems disrespectful to people who have made contributions, some of whom are no longer with us.

Searching and adding to old threads seems a much better way to keep things organized to me. I understand frustration with things like all the new "MT Please" threads but isn't the effect of combining them in one thread the same as people doing for themselves except less work for the editor? For instance , I would think a database crowded with 100 Altamont threads would be more of a mess that one with a few Altamont threads with lots of new and old posts...but maybe I am missing something.

The fact that the database is so big and varied is one of the best things about IORR and I hope it never gets truncated to new threads and current events only. I am of course still very grateful for the news and appreciate the great format and uncompensated work by our editor.

peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2015 06:56

I think we should wait for this thread to get old and then someone should wake it up.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 14, 2015 16:49

If a thread fades away... it certainly can fade back in. Because, clearly, someone was interested in something and contributed to it. So what how old it is! It was new then! And since there is talk here about albums that are 30 some years old as well as 20 some years old... what's the difference? Perhaps some new info has come out - an interview - that relates or is about that album or song or tour...

If someone brought up a Track Talk song that hasn't been posted on for 2 years, that's the same thing. So what, start a new Track Talk of the same song?

Then why have a search option? Some of it seems strange.

Maybe old threads should be deleted then?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 14, 2015 17:22

Am I the only one who never understands bv's analogies? (old newspaper/old thread)

Date: March 14, 2015 17:30

RomanCandle
Am I the only one who never understands bv's analogies? (old newspaper/old thread)

It's a poor analogy. Old newspapers can't update themselves. Old threads can.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 14, 2015 18:25

And... seriously......... why do we need "" rules "" on a music message board??? I'm not a sociopath FFS!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2015 18:28

71Tele
I think we should wait for this thread to get old and then someone should wake it up.

agitator!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 14, 2015 18:47

GasLightStreet

Maybe old threads should be deleted then?

Don't tempt him.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 14, 2015 19:51

How old is too old?
That's a familiar question...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2015 19:52

Can we wake up old IORR posters?

ah...let them have their nap!

Date: March 15, 2015 00:09

treaclefingers

Sure, StonesTod, MaxsKansasCity, that guy who was obsessed with Super Heavy...wake 'em all up, It's party time!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 15, 2015 01:33

Date: March 15, 2015 01:52

71Tele
treaclefingers

Sure, StonesTod, MaxsKansasCity, that guy who was obsessed with Super Heavy...wake 'em all up, It's party time!

But absolutely - and I mean ABSOLUTELY no waking of JumpinJackPumpkinPatch or JumpinJackOLantern or whatever it was, MightyStonesStillRollin50, TheLoneRangerRidesAgain and all those other ding dong names that that ding dong went under...

Date: March 15, 2015 01:59

GasLightStreet
71Tele
treaclefingers

But absolutely - and I mean ABSOLUTELY no waking of JumpinJackPumpkinPatch or JumpinJackOLantern or whatever it was, MightyStonesStillRollin50, TheLoneRangerRidesAgain and all those other ding dong names that that ding dong went under...

I had almost purged him from memory...Thanks a lot.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 15, 2015 03:11

RomanCandle
And... seriously......... why do we need "" rules "" on a music message board???
I have to agree

Naturalust
I must say that I don't agree with all this discrimination over old threads.... I often enjoy reading old threads as much or more than the new ones.
Agreed...

GasLightStreet
If a thread fades away... it certainly can fade back in. Because, clearly, someone was interested in something and contributed to it. So what how old it is! It was new then! And since there is talk here about albums that are 30 some years old as well as 20 some years old... what's the difference?

and agreed. I really don't see why it matters.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 15, 2015 03:59

LeonidP
RomanCandle
And... seriously......... why do we need "" rules "" on a music message board???
I have to agree

Naturalust
I must say that I don't agree with all this discrimination over old threads.... I often enjoy reading old threads as much or more than the new ones.
Agreed...

GasLightStreet
If a thread fades away... it certainly can fade back in. Because, clearly, someone was interested in something and contributed to it. So what how old it is! It was new then! And since there is talk here about albums that are 30 some years old as well as 20 some years old... what's the difference?

and agreed. I really don't see why it matters.

BV says "People who read the forum do not understand the 'gap in time' between the current posts and the first posts in the thread."

hmmm...I wonder what percentage of people truly are not able to get their heads around that?

I agree with the application of common sense in not "waking up" a thread like "Secret Show in LA Tomorrow!!!" from 2013, but most threads that are continually added to (as we say in the trade, "evergreen content") are not "news" and don't seem to have an expiration date.

- swiss

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home