Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 9, 2015 12:20

DandelionPowderman
<if Keith and Ronnie's playing from 2012 to 2014 was a dramatic improvement on 2007, that might have had something to do with Taylor being there>

MR is always great, always has been. You mean they put on a better show and played better on the other songs because Taylor was there?

I don't know myself, just trying to understand your theory. I think «the dramatic improvement» is there for the fans who thought Keith wasn't able to play at all on these tours. The improvement has just as much to do with Keith's ability to limit himself this time. He played a lot of bullshit in 2005-2007. Same with Ronnie.

Maybe the overall sound is a bit of a letdown for the fans who want the Stones to be guitar heavy, but I think the more modest approach makes the shows better and it's easier to appreciate what they're actually playing. It wouldn't surprise me a lot if Mick Jagger had something to do with this (the arranging).

It doesn't qualify as a theory, but yes, I meant that they played better shows altogether, not just better Ramblers. I certainly think Ronnie played better for having Taylor around. You listen to his solos on stuff like Worried About You and he sounds like a guy who knows he has to step up. Of course, he was newly sober, had recently put out a good album of his own and was clearly enjoying playing again even before the Stones regrouped in 2012. But I'm totally sure Taylor had something to do with it as well.

Keith is harder to understand because MT was never going to be challenging him for his place in the lineup. He certainly knew he needed to get his shit together regardless. But there was a fire and commitment in his solos over the past few years that seems to be almost totally gone now. I don't know why, but I find it much harder to imagine Keith playing any of his current Satisfaction solos were MT on stage with him.

Date: June 9, 2015 12:34

I don't hear the distinct difference winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 12:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 12:39

Honestly i think the slowing down of the tempo of these songs is the biggest factor impacting how we hear them differently and probably how the musicians play them.

Date: June 9, 2015 12:40

So you'd agree about Ronnie, then?

Date: June 9, 2015 12:47

Stoneburst
So you'd agree about Ronnie, then?

Yes, I do.

But I think the main reason has to do with sobering up. I really don't think having a friend along on tour brought out any extra prestige or need to play better solos. I could be wrong, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 12:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 9, 2015 14:02

So, am wondering what Mick taylor is doing now...
Maybe he should play his own shows, and play the sticky fingers album in its whole.
That would be something. Maybe he could do it, at the end of july and ronnie could show up.
jeroen

Date: June 9, 2015 14:04

corriecas
Maybe he should play his own shows, and play the sticky fingers album in its whole.
That would be something. Maybe he could do it, at the end of july and ronnie could show up.
jeroen

I think the best thing he can do is to write some new songs, find a good band and play shows for his fans. I will go see him surely.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 9, 2015 14:07

corriecas
jeroen

So, lets see, how would Sticky Fingers work with Mick Taylor as frontman?
Brown Sugar -- major lack of Mick & Keith
Sway -- would be interesting, as long as the vocals are handled well
Wild Horses -- could work
CYHMK -- he's already played that one okay
You Gotta Move -- same as above
Bitch -- difficult without Mick J
Sister Morphine -- could work
Dead Flowers -- could work
I Got the Blues -- vocals are a bit difficult, but otherwise no prob
Moonlight Mile -- same as above

Overall, the lack of Mick Jagger would be the biggest issue if Mick T would assemble a good band and try to do SF on his “own”.

Date: June 9, 2015 14:09

LieB
corriecas
jeroen

So, lets see, how would Sticky Fingers work with Mick Taylor as frontman?
Brown Sugar -- major lack of Mick & Keith
Sway -- would be interesting, as long as the vocals are handled well
Wild Horses -- could work
CYHMK -- he's already played that one okay
You Gotta Move -- same as above
Bitch -- difficult without Mick J
Sister Morphine -- could work
Dead Flowers -- could work
I Got the Blues -- vocals are a bit difficult, but otherwise no prob
Moonlight Mile -- same as above

Overall, the lack of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would be the biggest issue if Mick T would assemble a good band and try to do SF on his “own”.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 9, 2015 14:12

I rather visit a pure Sticky fingers Concert with Ronnie as frontman...I like his voice and playing...

Mick Taylor on vocal....sad smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: June 9, 2015 14:26

If you think about it, it's not so difficult to find someone playing Keith-inspired rhythm guitar and a good country-rock vocalist and Mick T could put on a great SF themed show. He needs to find good people with high musical standards and not do the lead vocals himself. Somebody like Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes could be rhythm guitarist. On lead vocal, why not find somebody within the country or blues genre, like Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, ... there's tons of good people who would probably love to play with Mick T as lead guitarist. Heck, maybe he could even persuade Bill Wyman to play bass on a few shows. The key to it would be to not try to imitate the Stones too much, but also not sound like a second rate bar band either.

Date: June 9, 2015 15:11

In my view, MT playing Sticky Fingers in its entirety with his own band would be a bad idea, for several reasons:

1) As others have pointed out, too many of the songs would either feel wrong or simply not work without the rest of the Stones.
2) In the context of the current Stones tour it would look like a slightly childish gesture, like he was doing it to get back at the Glimmers rather than because he actually wanted to play Sticky Fingers songs.
3) It would give the impression that he remains beholden to the Stones, depends upon them for his musical credibility and is basically unable to do anything of real artistic merit by himself. He'd look like Jimmy Page with a grudge.

Whatever he does next, he has to do it as Mick Taylor, not Mick Taylor, that guy who quit the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 15:12 by Stoneburst.

Date: June 9, 2015 15:18

Stoneburst
In my view, MT playing Sticky Fingers in its entirety with his own band would be a bad idea, for several reasons:

1) As others have pointed out, too many of the songs would either feel wrong or simply not work without the rest of the Stones.
2) In the context of the current Stones tour it would look like a slightly childish gesture, like he was doing it to get back at the Glimmers rather than because he actually wanted to play Sticky Fingers songs.
3) It would give the impression that he remains beholden to the Stones, depends upon them for his musical credibility and is basically unable to do anything of real artistic merit by himself. He'd look like Jimmy Page with a grudge.

Whatever he does next, he has to do it as Mick Taylor, not Mick Taylor, that guy who quit the Rolling Stones.

+1

Date: June 9, 2015 15:45

Yeah, I agree totally, actually.
Whatever he does, I think it's time he finds a great band where he can be co-frontman or something, and create some good new and old music.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 9, 2015 15:54

In the past, MT has not been very good in keeping a band together for long...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 9, 2015 15:55

Stoneburst

Agreed!!!smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:14

He could play his own album 'Mick Taylor'. Plenty of fine songs on it.

Playlist:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:15

Of course he could add Sway, Knocking, Winter and Time Waits FNO.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:29

DandelionPowderman
corriecas
jeroen

I think the best thing he can do is to write some new songs, find a good band and play shows for his fans. I will go see him surely.

That would be nice but clearly he can't be arsed. I think that ambivalent attitude is reflected in Keith's "shadow" comment in the Rolling Stone article. For all we know, maybe Taylor thought "eh, I could go and play a solo on Rambler for a few weeks, or I could stay here and have a cuppa and read the paper".

Date: June 9, 2015 17:30

andrewt
DandelionPowderman
corriecas
jeroen

That would be nice but clearly he can't be arsed. I think that ambivalent attitude is reflected in Keith's "shadow" comment in the Rolling Stone article. For all we know, maybe Taylor thought "eh, I could go and play a solo on Rambler for a few weeks, or I could stay here and have a cuppa and read the paper".

To be honest, faced with that choice I'd probably stay home with my PG Tips and the Guardian.

Date: June 9, 2015 17:37

kleermaker

Playlist:
[www.youtube.com]

Indeed, and tunes like Giddy Up, Spanish/A Minor and Slow Blues (later Blues In The Morning) are great live showcases for him:

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:39

Stoneburst
andrewt
DandelionPowderman
corriecas
jeroen

To be honest, faced with that choice I'd probably stay home with my PG Tips and the Guardian.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:19

has anyone considered starting a kickstarter campaign to help fund a new album and/or tour by taylor?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:30

Turner68
has anyone considered starting a kickstarter campaign to help fund a new album and/or tour by taylor?

Hhhhm...think he'd made some nice dosh during his reunion with the Stones so he does not really need money from fans to finance his business activities.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 9, 2015 19:58

kleermaker

Playlist:
[www.youtube.com]

It's a very fine album.Always good listening to
it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:00

SOMEBODY HAS TO HAVE THE CARLA OLSON/MICK TAYLOR COVER OF ROCKS OFF!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 20:00 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:25

Delete

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 20:38 by DoomandGloom.

Date: June 9, 2015 20:37

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
I don't hear the distinct difference winking smiley

I disagree 1000%I can hear every note Mick Taylor is playing the tempo is much steadier because of him there's even a really cool harmony happening behind the rif. Keith doesn mockup first hole instead MT supported it with a big low open E.a rhythm part I suppose but that is what guitar is all about everything at any time to keep it fresh and rolling along. certainly he didn't calculate any of that he was just playing to what he heard. I had not seen this before but what MT is adding and the spontaneous stuff he is trying to innitiate, no one could do a finer job in the 3 guitar situation. Listen, really listen. Makes any guitarist say that guy has a clue, this is what he always added to our band.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 9, 2015 21:11

[www.youtube.com]

Listen to what MT adds to MR- His licks throughout under both guitars not just his extended solo.

play the guitar goy

Date: June 9, 2015 21:37

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Listen to what MT adds to MR- His licks throughout under both guitars not just his extended solo.

play the guitar goy
there's a certain way he performs, he takes each song through a journey, you are actively involved in the momentum, rooting for a perfect finish, Page, Betts, Frampton, MT they keep you on the edge of your chair, which you should not sit in according to some fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 21:39 by DoomandGloom.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home