Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 18, 2015 01:41

Whatever Taylor has to contribute to the Stones should have been contributed years ago. Unfortunatelly it didn't work out that way. Instead Ronnie took his place. For better or for worse.
Now he's very much a has been, even more so than the band itself. And the band is to old and stale to be able to conform to his insignificant contribution anyway. Time waits for no one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 02:44 by Stoneage.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:05

Stoneburst
71Tele
liddas
71Tele
I differ from some Taylorites in that it is my view that Taylor needed the Stones to shine. Without them he is just one of many very, very good British blues-based guitarists. But the Stones needed him too. On the records, there is an extra sparkle to the tracks he played on, and it's not just soloing - it's musicianship. And live there was something about the combination of him and Keith that was magical, even early on when the rhythm/lead structure they would later develop hadn't happened yet.

I agree (maybe with the only exception of MTs tour with Dylan). The way I see it is that MT when playing alone or with a "normal" second guitar tends to have a "lazy" timing, while with Keith's strong presence in the beat, there is more "tension" in his playing as if he was "pushed forward".

(Note: by "lazy" timing I don't mean to criticize MT at all. It's my way of describing a certain attitude that is common with blues soloist).

C

For the record, I agree about his work with Dylan (both on Infidels and live). Taylor thrives when he has great material to work with from top-flight artists. He is much less interesting playing Stones material with other people or fairly generic blues lead guitar as a solo artist.

Liddas's point is an interesting one, definitely - Taylor is much less prone to doing that Albert King / Clapton thing of dropping slightly behind the beat when Keith is there. I'd never really thought about it like that but it's true.

I was saying a similar thing in a different way: He is better at supporting a song than being another blues guitarist in the Clapton mode. He is certainly a more interesting musician playing with the Stones or Dylan than in a typical blues format.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:06

Stoneage
Whatever Taylor has to contribute to the Stones should have been contributed years ago. Ufortunatelly it didn't work out that way. Instead Ronnie took his place. For better or for worse.
Now he's very much a has been, even more so than the bad itself. And the band is to old and stale to be able to conform to his insignificant contribution anyway. Time waits for no one.
If I felt this way about musicians and artists I loved I'd jump off a cliff. Magic can and does return. Time is relative anyhow. I can play Ya Ya's, Taylor and Keith's greatness doesn't disappear with time. WE saw some amazing moments in 2014, MR as good as anything on Brussels, CYHMK played soulfully with Bobby and Taylor, the greatest Stones moment in 40 years for some. Yes if we listen with our eyes we see a once slim fashionable guitarist looking less than dapper but there are moments that are happening, real Rolling Stone moments. My conjecture on MT is he will return for THe Sticky tributes but be bypassed for the stadium tour. Maybe Ry Cooder will play in LA as well, it's just a shame that Bobby will miss it, still another sad lesson to appreciate what we still have today.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:55

I could live with a special tribute show for Sticky Fingers with MT. That's an interesting compromise to get out of the dilemma of whether to invite him or not. I like it...but would it overshadow the rest of the tour. Well, maybe not...

Date: March 18, 2015 03:04

palerider22
I could live with a special tribute show for Sticky Fingers with MT. That's an interesting compromise to get out of the dilemma of whether to invite him or not. I like it...but would it overshadow the rest of the tour. Well, maybe not...
I was in Brooklyn... MR was the best song of the night and Taylor wasn't there. They can play a great show either way. I wouldn't say Taylor wouldn't be missed in stadiums but in Glaston CYHMK, great as it was it went unnoticed. The bigger the place the more they'll just pound out the warhorses, I think there's a risk they'll revert back to the auto-pilot that turned people off to them before 2013 let's hope they keep the vibe intimate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 03:07 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2015 03:13

DoomandGloom
Dreamer
treaclefingers
DoomandGloom
Stoneburst
I get that Keith's role as a rhythm guitarist is different and much more 'leading' than that of most bands' rhythm guitarists, I just don't think that this makes him a 'lead guitarist' (as that term is normally understood). Lots of Who fans like to claim that John Entwistle was their lead guitarist. He wasn't, he was the bass player, albeit a much more aggressive and melodic bass player than most. We use terms of convenience because they're convenient, you know?

I still don't see what this has to do with Mick Taylor and your claim that he spent entire songs soloing. He didn't. He played solos where he was meant to and played fills around the end of the vocal lines.
Keith is a lead guitarist. His sympathy solo is The Stones most well known solo perhaps. The concept of a guy being a lead or rhythm guitarist is for fans and amateurs.

point taken, so does that make you a fan or an amateur?

>grinning smiley< thumbs up
I had to really consider this as I should be able to back up my statements, even ones I make when hung over, bitter and full of doom... As a guitarist in the classic rock style I know that the line between lead and rhythm changes by the moment on stage. I don't consider myself an amateur although I admittedly am only a professional musician by a stroke of luck. My band and singer are much better than I... Still I am a fan, even working for them when I was a kid hasn't changed my giggly admiration for them. As a fan I guess I'll always consider Keith the lead guitarist. Not because of a count of solos but he is the leader no matter which role he is playing on the guitar.

Wasn't trying to get you to justify yourself...it was more that you indicated that you considered Keith a 'lead guitarist' and in the same paragraph indicated that the difference between lead and rhythm is something only amateurs and fans opine. Not sure if you recognized you did that...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 03:57

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
I don't follow. Doesn't that mean that virtually every song they ever did was a long Keith solo, by your logic?

I mean that Keith's approach to rhythm guitar is different than the traditional term. If you forget the "solo-part" for a second, and start focusing on what really is the leading instrument on tracks like Brown Sugar, JJF, HTW and others, you'll probably know what I mean? The riffing is not just about keeping the rhythm down or the groove, it's a lead guitar on its own, with both melodies and a groove. If you take that away from the songs...

They are the songs.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 04:08

71Tele
I differ from some Taylorites in that it is my view that Taylor needed the Stones to shine. Without them he is just one of many very, very good British blues-based guitarists. But the Stones needed him too. On the records, there is an extra sparkle to the tracks he played on, and it's not just soloing - it's musicianship. And live there was something about the combination of him and Keith that was magical, even early on when the rhythm/lead structure they would later develop hadn't happened yet.

Taylor's solo and collaborative projects don't interest me at all. But neither do the Rolling Stones playing songs without him that he helped define. I am not saying those versions are necessarily bad, I am saying they are never as good. Whereas Taylor took songs he was not on on the record (Gimme Shelter, I'm Free, Love In Vain and many more) and gave them an extra dimension live, Ron Wood has done the opposite with songs in which he was not on the record, often playing parts I would describe as "Taylor-lite". That's the difference between them as musicians, and therefore we cannot help draw comparisons. I don't say that to "bash" Wood, and I don't think it's unfair to compare them. After all, it is the Rolling Stones who have decided to present this material (and charge a lot of money for the privilege of hearing it), so it is perfectly fair to judge the product.

Ron Wood is a great guitarist for a certain Stones sound (I can't imagine the Some Girls period without him), but as long as there are Stones fans with ears and memories, this debate will go on.

Sorry for the edits - hadn't had my coffee yet!

Also very well stated. Ronnie's Stones sound is best heard on Some Girls and the fabulous El Mocambo side (even if some of that is overdubbed). He and KR really had the weave going in that period up through Tattoo You (yes, old tracks) and the fact that the Stones did so well commercially and, I posit, artistically, during the '75-'81 period was quite an accomplishment after losing Mick Taylor and suffering through Keith's most extreme addiction. On the other hand, Ronnie does not make a terrific Mick Taylor substitute playing solos on some of the older tunes. Keith was actually preferable in that role during his guitar hero renaissance post-Steel Wheels but that's no longer in his tool box. That they sound as good as they do today is pretty miraculous.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 18, 2015 07:47

gripweed
The YCAGWYW clip is from the Sutton United Football Club, March 12, 2004

Hey gripweed, do you still run a Mick Taylor fan web site? Curious if you've kept up with it and it so, can you provide a link?

Also curious what you might know about his official web presence, which (if any) Facebook accounts are his, etc. Thanks.

peace

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 18, 2015 17:20

backstreetboy1
anyone who thinks ronnies going to bass is on crack.more taylor i agree,atleast 3 to 4 songs.

I could not resist this, Jo Wood Ronnies ex wife has said in her book that she and Ronnie were pioneers of "crack".

No one wants Ronnie to be regulated to just bass.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 18, 2015 17:46

With thanks to Kleerie for the video, were the Stones to take the time to work with Taylor and let him play on, say, Beast of Burden, here's what it might sound like. We can always dream, right?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 18, 2015 17:47

Well - here's hoping they do include Taylor on some sort of Sticky Fingers tribute show and I hope they release it on DVD - I will pay money for that. I'm not trying to slam Jagger/Richards on this decision to not invite Taylor, just stating my
preference on what I saw from the last tour, Highlight's for me was the numbers with Taylor, and I did like a few others without him, some of the newer numbers, Last Time was good in LA, but to pay te kind of money the Stones are asking for...
For me I want Taylor included, especially on Sticky Finger numbers!!!
MLC

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:17

PhillyFAN

I do.

Date: March 18, 2015 19:23

Stoneburst
With thanks to Kleerie for the video, were the Stones to take the time to work with Taylor and let him play on, say, Beast of Burden, here's what it might sound like. We can always dream, right?

He played BOB with the Stones in Kansas City in 81. He created a melody line toward the ending which was a bit so so for me. Same with Imagination. Black Limousine was cool, though.

Had he been given time to develop something it probably would have worked nicely.

Date: March 18, 2015 19:28

kleermaker
PhillyFAN

I do.

Kleerie, you are irrepressible as always. smileys with beer

Date: March 18, 2015 19:49

Stoneburst
kleermaker
PhillyFAN

I do.

That WOOD be impossible, I'm sure you both know it. When Ronnie played great bass with Jeff Beck he was a youngster and pretty much muscled through it with powerhouse drummers Micky Waller \ Aynsley Dunbar. Bass is physically demanding, the strings are big and it takes developed physical strength in both hands and forearms. Anyhow who's going to hold the guitar section together? Keith and Taylor are very much alike in one aspect, they don't give a damn or an inch. This reckless approach was great when they were great but as a pair now they'd have to show some respect for the song and each other. Jagger has it tough enough entering verses,

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:06

DoomandGloom
Stoneburst
kleermaker
PhillyFAN

I do.

That WOOD be impossible, I'm sure you both know it. When Ronnie played great bass with Jeff Beck he was a youngster and pretty much muscled through it with powerhouse drummers Micky Waller \ Aynsley Dunbar. Bass is physically demanding, the strings are big and it takes developed physical strength in both hands and forearms. Anyhow who's going to hold the guitar section together? Keith and Taylor are very much alike in one aspect, they don't give a damn or an inch. This reckless approach was great when they were great but as a pair now they'd have to show some respect for the song and each other. Jagger has it tough enough entering verses,

Don't worry about Mick, he's got Chuck to keep him on track within the song. I think he quit keying off of Keith long ago.

I'd go one step further and relegate Ronnie to percussion instruments....he's been weaving for so long it would be good for him to re-learn where the beats lay. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:09

DoomandGloom
Stoneburst
kleermaker
PhillyFAN

I do.

Wood played bass on his last album, so he must still be into it.

That said, with the Stones, live, Wood has to play the guitar. Always. No Wood, no Stones!

C

Date: March 18, 2015 20:12

It's a long show..

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:07

Stoneburst

Hey Stonie - I provided this recording to Kleerie - was at the 1st show!! Taylor was on fire!! if you could hear a good recording of SWAY - only one out there is a boot - Carla said she might release the 1st show - some day.. MLC

Date: March 18, 2015 21:27

MCDDTLC
Stoneburst

Hey Stonie - I provided this recording to Kleerie - was at the 1st show!! Taylor was on fire!! if you could hear a good recording of SWAY - only one out there is a boot - Carla said she might release the 1st show - some day.. MLC

Which recording is that? I thought I'd heard all the bootlegged Sways from the Taylor/Olsen shows, they all knock my socks off.

Date: March 18, 2015 21:29

Taylorites are a hardened species it seems. They don't give in that easy. You'll have to give them credit for that...

Date: March 18, 2015 23:17

Stoneage
Taylorites are a hardened species it seems. They don't give in that easy. You'll have to give them credit for that...

This is a thread about Mick Taylor. What were you expecting?

Date: March 18, 2015 23:51

Stoneburst
Stoneage

This is a thread about Mick Taylor. What were you expecting?

Some realism, maybe...

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 18, 2015 23:56

Stoneage

Haha. It is true. We are a "hardened species". But we've been called worse and are immune to criticism. If you're paying any attention you'll have noticed we are very loyal and devoted to our hero. No disparagement of Mick Taylor is tolerated but we do encourage civil discussion, so long as the participants in such an endeavor have a requisite amount of musical knowledge necessary to discuss profound genius.

So, amongst ourselves, we may disagree as to whether it was Tumbling Dice, Dead Flowers or both where Mick Taylor basically invented the whole style of country rock soloing, or, on which version of the latter day Midnight Rambler did Mick Taylor blow away Ron Wood the most? Yes, we are an esoteric breed, but consider that appropriate worship of Mick Taylor demands we be.

Date: March 19, 2015 00:05

Phew, I was worried we might have lost TonyMo's priceless contributions to this forum forever after people here stopped finding his one joke funny.

Date: March 19, 2015 00:30

.video: [www.youtube.com] Let's put a stop to this Mick Taylor invented country rock soloing before Clarence White spins in his grave..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 00:36 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 00:51

DoomandGloom
.video: [www.youtube.com] Let's put a stop to this Mick Taylor invented country rock soloing before Clarence White spins in his grave..

That was my fault - no disrespect intended to Clarence White, Jesse Ed Davis or anyone else: what I meant was more that Taylor was (as far as I know) the first guy to take those steel guitar licks and play them in a rock context without actually being a country player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 00:53 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 19, 2015 01:18

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom

That was my fault - no disrespect intended to Clarence White, Jesse Ed Davis or anyone else: what I meant was more that Taylor was (as far as I know) the first guy to take those steel guitar licks and play them in a rock context without actually being a country player.
I'd think there were plenty of guys that did this before Taylor, including Keith. Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield in Butterfield Blues Band have to be considered too. Bloomfield with Dylan at Newport that's where it really began. He and Taylor have many similarities, Les Paul, great vibrato, fearless improvisors. I bet if we asked Taylor he listened to plenty of Bloomfield. Taylor did take the concept over the top as did The Allman Brothers. Taylor with Duane and Dickey, that would have been something to hear.

Date: March 19, 2015 01:31

DoomandGloom
I'd think there were plenty of guys that did this before Taylor, including Keith. Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield in Butterfield Blues Band have to be considered too. Bloomfield with Dylan at Newport that's where it really began. He and Taylor have many similarities, Les Paul, great vibrato, fearless improvisors. I bet if we asked Taylor he listened to plenty of Bloomfield. Taylor did take the concept over the top as did The Allman Brothers. Taylor with Duane and Dickey, that would have been something to hear.

Best I can do is Taylor doing Spoonful with Dickey Betts (and Jack Bruce for good measure):

I don't hear *that* much Bloomfield in MT's playing, honestly. Which isn't to say that Taylor wasn't a fan - I'm sure they all were. Jimmy Page definitely took a lot from Bloomfield both in terms of tone and phrasing. But to my ear Taylor's playing was usually a good deal more measured, Bloomfield's a lot more wild and unrestrained - more at the Buddy Guy end of the blues spectrum. Not that I could pick one over the other, they're probably my two favourite Les Paul guys from that generation. IMO, Bloomfield at his best:

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home