Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...287288289290291292293294295296297...LastNext
Current Page: 292 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: November 7, 2022 23:14

Taylor1
video: [youtu.be]I thought this interview with Keith was interesting because he mentions some Stones songs have as many as 8 guitars on them. I wonder which ones .

Dance would be a contender.

Date: November 7, 2022 23:38

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
video: [youtu.be]I thought this interview with Keith was interesting because he mentions some Stones songs have as many as 8 guitars on them. I wonder which ones .

I wonder if Keith in the interview is referring to these kind of Rolling Stones' guitar recordings. The overdubs here are quite obvious.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 7, 2022 23:51

Moonlight Mile? It has Taylor, Jagger and Keith said in an interview he plays on it on the abbreviated end. I read where Moonlight Mile was cut down from like 8 minutes

Date: November 8, 2022 01:25

He said he made the riff, not that he played on the recording.

Date: November 8, 2022 03:58

DandelionPowderman
In a2015 interview Jagger said Keith and Taylor added overdubbed guitars to the song after the initial recordings at Stargroves.This quote can be found on the Time is on Our Side website,under the database track talk for Moonlight Mile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-08 04:13 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2022 04:23

Honestly, I wasn’t really thinking about whether the song’s opening would be Japanese or Indian. Obviously, the tones or scales I used gave it an Oriental flavor, which is echoed later in the string writing. Most of the song is more Indian to me. I listened to a lot of Indian music then, and little bits rubbed off on me. These things were hinted at when the song goes into the B section, where the beat comes in [sings]: Oh I’m sleeping under strange, strange skies - when it goes into that. Then it’s kind of left behind and it goes into something else. The verses are also slightly Indian in their inception.

Charlie’s use of the mallets was remarkable and let him dispense with the big offbeat. So you get this rhythmic subtlety that goes along with the guitar lines. It’s so moody. But nothing was planned. It was all spur of the moment, which is the beauty of the song. Of course, some of the things we added later were there to enhance the mood we had come up with - like overdubbed guitars by Keith and Mick, Bill’s bass, Jimmy Price’s piano and Paul Buckmaster’s strings. It was a question of building the song and then bringing down the dynamic and how you use the instrumentation to do that.

Later, I added a bit of double-tracking to fill out my vocal, but not much. I actually do that quite a lot on recordings. Sometimes you don’t hear it or you’re not even aware of it. On Moonlight Mile, I double-tracked the odd lines just for emphasis. On some records I’ll double-track the lead vocals and then do harmonies up and harmonies down to give them a stronger feel. In this case, we mixed the song so the double-track sound was just marginally there.

--------------------- Mick Jagger, 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: November 8, 2022 06:02

Perhaps the melody of 'Song of India' rubbed off on MJ and MT

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-08 06:02 by Zotz.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2022 06:28

Taylor1
Moonlight Mile? It has Taylor, Jagger and Keith said in an interview he plays on it on the abbreviated end. I read where Moonlight Mile was cut down from like 8 minutes

A lot of songs were cut down from 8 minutes or longer.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2022 06:44

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

He was talking about BEGGARS-FINGERS. BEGGARS and BLEED were recorded with 8 multi-track. So the only way to have as many as 8 guitars on any of those tracks... a lot of bounce mixing would have to be going on.

Very unlikely.

All one has to do is listen and... nothing has 8 guitar tracks on it. Same with FINGERS. A lot of bouncing (stacking) going on but no 8 guitars on anything.

EXILE was their first 16 multi-track recording.

Leave it up to Keith to just zing some bullshit out there.

For EMOTIONAL RESCUE or UNDERCOVER? Absolutely. But not the late 1960s-mid 1970s.

Date: November 8, 2022 13:27

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
In a2015 interview Jagger said Keith and Taylor added overdubbed guitars to the song after the initial recordings at Stargroves.This quote can be found on the Time is on Our Side website,under the database track talk for Moonlight Mile

I know, but it's not consistent with what Keith is saying:

The only thing in Sticky Fingers I don't have anything to do with is Moonlight Mile, 'cause I wasn't there when they did it. It was great to hear that because I was very out of it by the end of the album and it was like listening, really listening. It was really nice.
- Keith Richards, 1971

I thought I wasn't on Moonlight Mile but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out.
- Keith Richards, 1971

Date: November 8, 2022 13:35

If it exists they should have released the long version on Sticky Fingers Deluxe like the Beatles did with some of their songs like Helter Skelter

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 8, 2022 14:56

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

The only thing in Sticky Fingers I don't have anything to do with is Moonlight Mile, 'cause I wasn't there when they did it. It was great to hear that because I was very out of it by the end of the album and it was like listening, really listening. It was really nice.
- Keith Richards, 1971

I thought I wasn't on Moonlight Mile but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out.
- Keith Richards, 1971

To further muddy the waters (pun intended) didn’t Taylor say he wrote the riff the strings are based upon?

Date: November 8, 2022 16:06

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1971

- Keith Richards, 1971

To further muddy the waters (pun intended) didn’t Taylor say he wrote the riff the strings are based upon?

Yep, they both claimed they wrote the riff. It's time for Keith to sift through those early tapes winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 8, 2022 20:25

I return to this when it resurfaces to see if Mick Taylor himself has resurfaced. Nothing. Crickets. Before 2012/2013 stage work, he would appear in much lower level venues to scrape together a few bucks. He even appeared on a TV show or two, at least in America. Now he hasn't been seen for almost a decade. Could he really have made enough from touring with the Stones to get by the rest of his life? He's 73, and hasn't looked healthy for a long time, including the tour. When was his last public appearance?

Date: November 8, 2022 20:42

Date: November 8, 2022 22:41

DandelionPowderman

What was the event?

Date: November 8, 2022 22:48

This: Tribute to the late Jack Bruce.Taylor's last public guitar solo started at 4.10.

Date: November 9, 2022 00:26

TheflyingDutchman
This: Tribute to the late Jack Bruce.Taylor's last public guitar solo started at 4.10.

smileys with beer

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 9, 2022 03:57

Sometimes rock stars just want to retire peacefully rather than go out in a blaze of glory.

Date: November 13, 2022 19:12

Kleermaker's upload:

Posted by: FP ()
Date: November 15, 2022 18:13

Anyone got any pics of Mick Taylor smiling? Serious question, his time in the Stones is always portrayed as misery but he must have enjoyed some of it surely! Although maybe not when anyone was taking a photosmiling smiley

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 15, 2022 18:24

Date: November 15, 2022 18:57

FP
Anyone got any pics of Mick Taylor smiling? Serious question, his time in the Stones is always portrayed as misery but he must have enjoyed some of it surely! Although maybe not when anyone was taking a photosmiling smiley

Even footage. smoking smiley

Date: November 18, 2022 15:18

Mick Taylor in Chile.

Date: December 9, 2022 00:55

Could be MT on rhytm guitar . cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-09 00:59 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 9, 2022 10:40

FP

Basically he is a very friendly person but at the same time he's very shy and a bit timid. But it it very interesting talkig with him because he appears to be very sophisticated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-09 10:41 by saltoftheearth.

Date: December 9, 2022 13:03

Keith didn’t smile that much until the late 1970s in a lot is photos , maybe as part of his image of disrespectful menace

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2022 13:08

Taylor1
Keith didn’t smile that much until the late 1970s in a lot is photos , maybe as part of his image of disrespectful menace

It’s true that he didn’t smile, particularly, once Andrew Loog Oldham had moulded their image – none of them did, of course -, yet he was quite smiley in some of those very early promo shots from 1963, if I recollect.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 9, 2022 17:03

There aren't that many happy-go-lucky junkies. Keith's image, until he settled into the Merry Pirate, was of a dangerous criminal guitarist. Some of it was just image and some of it wasn't. Either way, he wasn't likely to smile for the press. These were the same people waiting for him to overdose or go to prison.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2022 13:46

Rocky Dijon
There aren't that many happy-go-lucky junkies. Keith's image, until he settled into the Merry Pirate, was of a dangerous criminal guitarist. Some of it was just image and some of it wasn't. Either way, he wasn't likely to smile for the press. These were the same people waiting for him to overdose or go to prison.

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...287288289290291292293294295296297...LastNext
Current Page: 292 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home