Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...286287288289290291292293294295296...LastNext
Current Page: 291 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 17, 2022 02:26

TravelinMan
TravelinMan
wavelength
there was a great mick taylor site a few years ago. micktaylor.net. there was a lot of great info and interviews on that site. does anyone know what happened to it? has any one archibed it by any chance? thx

Is it possible to use the Wayback Machine or Internet Archive or something?

You can. Check it out!

here's a capture from 2007

[web.archive.org]

not every link works but a lot still do

interesting site thanks for letting me know about it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 02:36 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2022 12:29

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Wrong. He kept doing solo albums and shows, in addition to his day job.

Why are we discussing Ronnie in the Taylor-thread, btw smiling smiley

I have a close friend that was on the road with the Stones in the 90's. I will not go into details, but he was not "doing his day job" very well.

My point was to draw the comparison between Taylor's aggressive output within the comfort of the Stones camp compared to how tough it was outside of it.

It's well known how long Stones albums took to finish. I find it surprising that knowledgeable fans would say the Stones have a hard work ethic. Charlie and Bill pointed it out all the time. It would take them over a year to do what some bands did in less than a month.

Point taken. However, they kept themselves busy outside of the Stones bubble, too. They didn't have to do that, even though it may have been easier with their Stones connections.

In the 80s, during 'WWIII', Ronnie played the clubs, cruise ships and whatever with rather unknown bands, to put it mildly.

My point is that they might perhaps be more active types of musicians than Taylor, zonked out or not.

Perhaps, but I'm thinking they had the luxury of choice. And I want to be clear, Taylor quit the Stones, so he could have continued that luxury if he wanted. I'm in no way blaming the Stones. Taylor also made it clear in an interview he wasn't interested in joining any band inferior to the Stones, so that doesn't leave a lot of options!

I just think he had to do the seemingly endless club tours around the globe just to scrape by. He never had the cult following like Clapton, which would have given him more solo recording opportunities. It was HARD to get a record done back then as an Indy! Pay the studio, pay the engineers, pay the musicians, find an interested label. Now, we can record one in our bedroom and have somebody dub drums on it in theirs from across the country!

My point is -Taylor had all the talent and the big Stones reference to be a prolific session guitarist with all the great bands in this world. As with Wood, the Stones reference opens all the doors for you -if you want it, and if you work hard for it. And even if you are Ron Wood of the Stones you have to arrange the band, and you have to arrange somebody to pick up your amp and guitar. And you have to rehearse, and do the show relatively sober. Taylor just misses all that -he has the talent, he has the references, but he misses the stamina to do the hard work.

There's an interview with Ian McLagan about the Bob Dylan tour, and Dylan himself remarks about Taylor during the Live Aid rehearsals: great guitarist, but difficult to work with as he was always gone, always missing in action, very difficult to communicate with. Never a part of the band, always alone.

Mathijs

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 17, 2022 16:09

Thats it in a nutshell. Recalling from Mac's book that Mick Taylor spent the tour "doctor shopping" to get pain pills (which Mac admitted sharing in) and that one particular evening was so zonked out that they couldnt wake him up for the gig. Dylans management fired him but after a few hours of pondering what the band would sound like with only Dylans distinctive electric guitar syle, Taylor was reinstated. Im sure its not an easy gig but being Dylan's band leader/lead guitarist would have been a nice long term prestige gig for Taylor. His playing on "Infidels" was great and I (for one) enjoy alot of "Real Live". A shame it didnt pan out.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 17, 2022 17:54

roryfaninva
Thats it in a nutshell. Recalling from Mac's book that Mick Taylor spent the tour "doctor shopping" to get pain pills (which Mac admitted sharing in) and that one particular evening was so zonked out that they couldnt wake him up for the gig. Dylans management fired him but after a few hours of pondering what the band would sound like with only Dylans distinctive electric guitar syle, Taylor was reinstated. Im sure its not an easy gig but being Dylan's band leader/lead guitarist would have been a nice long term prestige gig for Taylor. His playing on "Infidels" was great and I (for one) enjoy alot of "Real Live". A shame it didnt pan out.

Have you read the Dylan bio? Dylan apparently was extremely hard to work with. They didn’t know what they were playing every time they walked on stage. It was incredibly stressful for Taylor at the beginning, from what I remember, and that’s when he was fired/quit and brought back.

Also, Nicky Hopkins was supposed to be the keyboard player but Dylan wouldn’t approve an acoustic piano being taken around on tour lol

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: August 17, 2022 18:36

it works thanks!

TravelinMan
TravelinMan
wavelength
there was a great mick taylor site a few years ago. micktaylor.net. there was a lot of great info and interviews on that site. does anyone know what happened to it? has any one archibed it by any chance? thx

You can. Check it out!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 17, 2022 22:16

I always thought Taylor's guitar did not suit Dylan's music well. If Taylor wanted to play with the 3rd legend of the 1960s, he would have with his melodic guitar suited McCartney better. He would have given an edge to the music. He would have been better in Ringo's allstars. I do not like his playing with Dylan.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 17, 2022 22:53

TravelinMan
roryfaninva

Have you read the Dylan bio? Dylan apparently was extremely hard to work with. They didn’t know what they were playing every time they walked on stage. It was incredibly stressful for Taylor at the beginning, from what I remember, and that’s when he was fired/quit and brought back.

Also, Nicky Hopkins was supposed to be the keyboard player but Dylan wouldn’t approve an acoustic piano being taken around on tour lol

Bobby keeping his band on their toes. Not a bad thing. I'd imagine it gets stale playing the same thing the same way every night (although that's what he does now...).

Date: August 18, 2022 15:13

To me this is one of the most beautiful things Taylor ever played.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:00

Not forgetting this perfect little gem- short, tasty, fits the tune video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:08

I love his guitar work with Dylan. He traverses the whole spectrum from the ethereal joy of Jokerman to the downright sinister heard on Watchtower. Pure rock n roll on Highway 61 to dirty swamp slide on Tombstone Blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 19:09 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:11

TravelinMan
I love his guitar work with Dylan. He traverses the whole spectrum from the ethereal joy of Jokerman to the downright sinister heard on Watchtower. Pure rock n roll on Highway 61 to dirty swamp slide on Tombstone Blues.

Jokerman is fantastic. Underrated Dylan tune.

Date: August 18, 2022 22:55

I think Taylor had a great sense of timing and rhythm. It isn't talked about much because he is such an iconic lead player. I was in a studio once where he was overdubbing a lead for someone. And it really didn't sound all that great. Or so I thought. We were hearing only him. when heard in context of the track I was blown away.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 19, 2022 11:32

NashvilleBlues

Jokerman is fantastic. Underrated Dylan tune.

thumbs up

Date: August 19, 2022 14:00

Palace Revolution 2000
I think Taylor had a great sense of timing and rhythm. It isn't talked about much because he is such an iconic lead player. I was in a studio once where he was overdubbing a lead for someone. And it really didn't sound all that great. Or so I thought. We were hearing only him. when heard in context of the track I was blown away.

cool story thanks

could you reveal what track it was?

Date: August 19, 2022 15:27

ProfessorWolf
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
wavelength

You can. Check it out!

[web.archive.org]

Funny. Using this the first "tell me" link goes back as far as 2-02-2001:

[web.archive.org]

Date: August 19, 2022 17:13

TheflyingDutchman
ProfessorWolf
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
wavelength

You can. Check it out!

[web.archive.org]

[web.archive.org]

actually the earliest tell me link there is from dec 5, 2000

[web.archive.org]

however the first capture with a couple threads you can still access is here april 9, 2001

[web.archive.org]

and the earliest capture of the home page is from august 23, 1999

[web.archive.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-19 17:40 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 19, 2022 18:05

I must have overlooked that. Thanks.thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2022 21:02

NashvilleBlues
TravelinMan
roryfaninva

Bobby keeping his band on their toes. Not a bad thing. I'd imagine it gets stale playing the same thing the same way every night (although that's what he does now...).

Maybe, finally, he's got a setlist he adheres to. (Is that true?) At any point I'm sure it's much more peppered with old, newer, and new, as opposed to our favorite band.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 20, 2022 07:30

TheflyingDutchman
ProfessorWolf
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
wavelength

You can. Check it out!

[web.archive.org]

[web.archive.org]
Fun to see i was selling a ticket for the Stones in Groningen 1999, face value was 55 euro smiling smiley compare to these days ticket prices lol [web.archive.org]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 20, 2022 07:31

missing the SW5 mailing list

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: August 20, 2022 20:34

ProfessorWolf
Palace Revolution 2000

cool story thanks

It would have been either Pussy Galore, or Dramarama.

Date: September 4, 2022 15:33

Very good playing , even on the automatic pilot. Enjoy.thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 6, 2022 20:42

TheflyingDutchman
Very good playing , even on the automatic pilot. Enjoy.thumbs up

Thanks for sharing.
MT on fire here.

Date: September 7, 2022 08:26

Palace Revolution 2000
ProfessorWolf
Palace Revolution 2000

cool story thanks

It would have been either Pussy Galore, or Dramarama.

thank you

Date: October 1, 2022 00:35

Highway 61 with Taylor on lead.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: October 17, 2022 06:59

[youtu.be]

This guy posted this video today. He interviewed a Stones recording engineer whose name I couldn’t quite understand. I haven’t had a chance to watch yet but he says he asked lots of questions regarding the Taylor years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-17 07:00 by keefgotsoul.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 17, 2022 13:36

keefgotsoul
[youtu.be]

This guy posted this video today. He interviewed a Stones recording engineer whose name I couldn’t quite understand. I haven’t had a chance to watch yet but he says he asked lots of questions regarding the Taylor years

"Stones recording engineer whose name I couldn’t quite understand "

= Tapani Talo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-17 13:37 by Lien.

Date: October 24, 2022 17:12

Never seen before, this entire video. Thank You Ed thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 17:29 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 7, 2022 17:55

video: [youtu.be]I thought this interview with Keith was interesting because he mentions some Stones songs have as many as 8 guitars on them. I wonder which ones .

Date: November 7, 2022 19:27

Taylor1
video: [youtu.be]I thought this interview with Keith was interesting because he mentions some Stones songs have as many as 8 guitars on them. I wonder which ones .

Like Keith said;"you wouldn't even notice it".winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...286287288289290291292293294295296...LastNext
Current Page: 291 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home