Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...284285286287288289290291292293294...LastNext
Current Page: 289 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 13, 2022 01:50

Wow. I am a little confused. This is thread created by the owner for Mick Taylor chat. There are fans that really enjoy his playing.and discussing his music Unfortunately many posters come to this thread.to negatively comment on his playing. I was lucky enough to see and hear MT when he was in the band. He was a Rolling Stone. I.saw them in 1969 and 1972. The band.was amazing. They played like they had something to prove and prove it they.did. MT playing was absolutely amazing. He and Keith were dynamic together. No other band came close. After BJ died they were a new band. Most fans on this board never had that experience. MT years are my favorite and IMO the most creative. All-in all comparing the entire concerts when MT was in the band those years were musically brilliant. MT will never return but those of us that appreciate him use this thread to discuss his music.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 13, 2022 03:23

Don't worry, a negative review of Mick Taylor's playing calls for 50 of Ronnie's one.. Unless you're deaf.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 13, 2022 18:20

I think there is more chance of him appearing on a new Stones album than on a future tour.Pretty sure it will happen.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 14, 2022 02:00

Strange how such a «fantastic» guitar player more or less never really achived anything after leaving Stones. Well…he did that Dylan tour in 84 and sounded awful….and some other less known stuff for the average rock music fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-14 02:01 by bobo.

Date: August 14, 2022 02:31

You might as well say that the rest of the Stones achieved something
because they stayed in the band for the average rock music fan. Matter of taste.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 14, 2022 02:39

bobo
Strange how such a «fantastic» guitar player more or less never really achived anything after leaving Stones. Well…he did that Dylan tour in 84 and sounded awful….and some other less known stuff for the average rock music fan.
What did Keith achieve with his solo albums?I would not say Taylor is a great singer or songwriter but a great guitarist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-14 02:40 by Taylor1.

Date: August 14, 2022 02:41

Taylor1
bobo
What did Keith achieve with his solo albums?

You should be sleeping already, Taylor 1 grinning smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 14, 2022 03:45

Taylor1
bobo
What did Keith achieve with his solo albums?I would not say Taylor is a great singer or songwriter but a great guitarist

3 great solo albums is what

your right about taylor though and i love his solo work too

Date: August 14, 2022 04:34

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bobo

3 great solo albums?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2022 06:03

Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bobo

3 great solo albums?

One maybe. The first one.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2022 08:04

24FPS
Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bobo

3 great solo albums?

One + two = three.
All three are great.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2022 16:01

bobo
Strange how such a «fantastic» guitar player more or less never really achived anything after leaving Stones. Well…he did that Dylan tour in 84 and sounded awful….

Well MT did great on the 83 "Infidels" sessions. His slide work on the electric "Blind Willie Mc Tell" ranks among the top 10 works of his whole career.

But yeah to quote Keith : after leaving the Stones MT discovered he was a great lead player... and not much else.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 14, 2022 16:36

bobo

The Dylan tour sounds fantastic. He played in front of crowds that dwarfed the crowds he played with during his Stones period. And guess what? They LOVED it!

Date: August 14, 2022 16:41

Taylor’s debut album is great and it actually received favorable reviews when it was released. He didn’t tour and promote it for some reason though and I believe that created a contemptuous view of the music industry. Without that early momentum his solo career didn’t take off. Stone’s Throw is really good as well.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t release a bunch of the stuff he has “in the can” digitally. I’m also sure an Indy label would sign him in a heart beat. I have to think he’s just over it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-14 16:42 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 14, 2022 17:31

Taylor wanted to tour behind his first solo LP but the record company would only cover a promotional tour of radio stations- which he declined to do. The fact that his LP was completed/delivered years late and massively overbudget probably soured them although musical tastes were shiting at that time so that might have been anothr factor...it just might be my favorite Stones solo LP.

Date: August 14, 2022 18:24

Spanish A Minor is great

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: August 14, 2022 21:05

Love Taylor on Dylan’s “Real Live” listened to the whole thing on a recent road trip. Some of his best guitar playing and he’s doing most of the actual work onstage. Had he stayed with the stones they wouldn’t have evolved to be quite as lazy of a guitar band as they are now. However, since Jagger’s Voice is a little less melodic these days, Taylor’s playing is not as fitting as it once was.

Date: August 14, 2022 23:38

PhillyFAN
Wow. I am a little confused. This is thread created by the owner for Mick Taylor chat. There are fans that really enjoy his playing.and discussing his music Unfortunately many posters come to this thread.to negatively comment on his playing. I was lucky enough to see and hear MT when he was in the band. He was a Rolling Stone. I.saw them in 1969 and 1972. The band.was amazing. They played like they had something to prove and prove it they.did. MT playing was absolutely amazing. He and Keith were dynamic together. No other band came close. After BJ died they were a new band. Most fans on this board never had that experience. MT years are my favorite and IMO the most creative. All-in all comparing the entire concerts when MT was in the band those years were musically brilliant. MT will never return but those of us that appreciate him use this thread to discuss his music.

Always nice to read these memories from those who were there. Wish I could have had those experiences of seeing the Stones in their golden era prime, but alas I was only nine in '72, and unable to attend!
However, I do have some very fond memories of my own regarding Mick Taylor - with and without the Stones.....

The first time I ever saw Mick Taylor was at the very small Roxy nightclub in L.A. in 1982 during the John Mayall/Bluesbreakers reunion shows. With a capacity of only 500, needless to say it was amazing in every way...
I was almost literally standing on the low stage during the entire show directly in front of MT. In contrast, I saw the Stones for the first time the year before at the massive L.A. Coliseum w/capacity of nearly 100,000!
Fast forward to the summer of 2003 to London when I was lucky to see Mick Taylor at the very small 100 Club with a capacity of only 350. Again, nearly standing on the low stage directly in front of MT - simply amazing.
It happened the night after the Stones Astoria show which followed the Twickenham show, and was then followed by the Wembley Arena show. From Aug. 24-29; three Stones shows and an MT bonus show! Very lucky.
Fast forward to 2013; every show I saw that tour with MT are amongst the best Stones shows I've seen. It's been an incredible journey, and can only wish that MT would appear again with the Stones at least one more time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-14 23:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 15, 2022 00:11

Yes! I was also at that Mick Taylor gig at The 100 Club, the Twickenham gig and the Wembley Arena gig way back in 2003.
Great time's and all of them great gigs.

No luck for the Astoria gig, but so many of us who were in the line for a couple of days just didn't get lucky.
Nothing was available and always remember an American girl there who bought a ticket off a tout, and it was a dud.
We all felt so sorry for her, as she paid him a huge amount for it. confused smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 15, 2022 00:30

crawdaddy
Nothing was available and always remember an American girl there who bought a ticket off a tout, and it was a dud.
We all felt so sorry for her, as she paid him a huge amount for it. confused smiley

"a dud" what a gentle way of putting it

Date: August 15, 2022 01:10

I have been disappointed in Taylor’s solo career.His emphasis on playing mostly Chicago blues the last 30 years is just not that stimulating.Instead of 20 minute version of It Hurts Me Too , I wish he had donesomething more experimental, like working with a Brian Eno. Or doing something with a Paul McCartney. I think his melodic guitar would have fit McCartney’s music while giving it a bluesy edge.And he and Wood should have done a rock n roll album together

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 01:13 by Taylor1.

Date: August 15, 2022 02:16

crawdaddy
Yes! I was also at that Mick Taylor gig at The 100 Club, the Twickenham gig and the Wembley Arena gig way back in 2003.
Great time's and all of them great gigs.

No luck for the Astoria gig, but so many of us who were in the line for a couple of days just didn't get lucky.

Wow...sadness for the girl....

A couple of people I knew without tickets waited outside starting the day prior to the show in the hopes of getting a ticket somehow, someway, and from someone.
They made a party out of it by drinking through the day and night, and when I went to get in line the next day one of them had given up and passed out back at his hotel room.
The other one actually managed to get a ticket by paying an arm and a leg, but was so completely worn out and tattered from partying nearly 24 hours straight he could barely stand.
My friend Ed and I stumbled in to him once inside the Astoria (or he stumbled in to us ha), and needless to say he was a wreck. Ultimately he remembered nothing, but always insisted it was a great show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 02:19 by Hairball.

Date: August 15, 2022 04:07

Taylor1
I have been disappointed in Taylor’s solo career.His emphasis on playing mostly Chicago blues the last 30 years is just not that stimulating.Instead of 20 minute version of It Hurts Me Too , I wish he had donesomething more experimental, like working with a Brian Eno. Or doing something with a Paul McCartney. I think his melodic guitar would have fit McCartney’s music while giving it a bluesy edge.And he and Wood should have done a rock n roll album together

Well, he could have gone the Clapton route and recorded an album of blues legend songs. Albert King songs with a who's who of backing musicians would have been perfect. He needed a producer to see the potential in something like that.

Date: August 15, 2022 04:24

Something happens with Clapton's amp, and Mick steps in! First and only time he took a solo on this song the whole tour. (Second break not where he jumps in on the first break. Strangely Santana didn't solo on this)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 04:27 by TravelinMan.

Date: August 15, 2022 04:32

Can't imagine him with McCartney, but could have imagined him recording with someone more soulful and bluesy like Steve Winwood...or Dr. John...or Leon Russell....all great musicians and songwriters....
Or maybe some standard blues covers with Chuck Leavell. Too late for Dr. John (RIP) and Leon (RIP), but might not be too late for a collaboration of some sorts with either Winwood or Chuck L....maybe both.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2022 05:31

Its a shame he didnt record with The Ramones .....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 09:04 by Rockman.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 15, 2022 08:54

Hairball
24FPS
Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bobo

3 great solo albums?

One + two = three.
All three are great.

+ one great live album = fourwinking smiley

Date: August 15, 2022 11:18

ProfessorWolf
Hairball
24FPS
Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
bobo

3 great solo albums?

One + two = three.
All three are great.

+ one great live album = fourwinking smiley

Two great live albums = Five winking smiley

Ronnie is excellent. But Mick Taylor brought the band to the highest level they ever reached.
Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:10

Ronnie is excellent. But Mick Taylor brought the Stones to the highest level they ever reached. Absolutely brilliant. Still during the 2013/2014 tours his performanes with the Stones were the absolute highlights for me. And I love the Jimmy Reed album Ronnie and Mick did together!

Date: August 15, 2022 12:28

Hairball
Can't imagine him with McCartney, but could have imagined him recording with someone more soulful and bluesy like Steve Winwood...or Dr. John...or Leon Russell....all great musicians and songwriters....
Or maybe some standard blues covers with Chuck Leavell. Too late for Dr. John (RIP) and Leon (RIP), but might not be too late for a collaboration of some sorts with either Winwood or Chuck L....maybe both.
I actually would like to have seen him do less electric blues albums .And I think he would have fit McCartney’s music way more than he did with Dylan.McCartneymelodies with Taylor’s melodic guitar would have been interesting. He once had a guitarist, not as good as Taylor, Jimmy McCulloch, who played a little like Taylor.Taylor would have given abluesy edge to a song like Back in the USSR or his solo song More blues albums I find boring.Some more experimental stuff, maybe Brian Eno produced album.And he and Ronnie doing a rock nroll album.Maybe an acoustic blues album without drums, horns,keyboards would have been interesting

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 13:51 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...284285286287288289290291292293294...LastNext
Current Page: 289 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home