Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...283284285286287288289290291292293...LastNext
Current Page: 288 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 15:36

With Ronnie for sure ..

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 11, 2022 15:54

powerage78
With Ronnie for sure ..

Ronnie? confused smiley

What about

Paint It, Black
19th Nervous Breakdown
Have You Seen Your Mother...
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Stray Cat Blues
Street Fighting Man
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

These songs are not good because they don't have a guitar solo? Really? Come on!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 16:12

You're right about all those DP tracks of course. But with Ronnie there is no good live solo, no matter what period the Stones are in, you have to forget the solo of the studio version or the Taylor years! And of course the song loses its magic (unless a solo is useless only since Ronnie is here).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 11, 2022 16:18

TheflyingDutchman
gotdablouse
PhillyFAN
This shows his playing was still incredible at his last public performance. The band applauded him and the audience was knocked out. I don't think he has had a public performance since. If he had been rehearsed and played entire shows doing the 50th annie we would still be talking about it today.

[www.youtube.com]

Soloing starts at 4:11

But yes, why, oh why has he not been seen live again ? Surely the guy must love to play and bring joy to people who enjoy music and beautiful guitar playing ! Like I posted previously I can understand he wouldn't want to go through the grind of small club shows like he had to do before 2012 (paraphrasing his "manager") but one offs are nothing like that.

Could it be that he hardly plays the guitar at home (paraphrasing his manager) and just has retired ? Sometimes enough is enough. Or maybe even his health doesn't allow it anymore. Who knows ?

Yes that would have to be the only possible explanation, so what does he do ? I seem to remember a post where she said he'd gone on a bike ride ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 11, 2022 17:06

I saw The Faces decades ago in Philly. I believe RW was great in The Faces. He was his own man and not left to try to play what MT created. He seemed more creative. He was writing songs and creating his own solos.I often wonder how far they would have gone if Rod Stewart didn't go solo and treated The Faces like his touring band and session musicians.Howeve RW joining.the Stones made the Stones a different band.They actually became silly IMO humble. Blow up dolls. Huge inflatable penises popping out of the stage.Gimmics. Even MJ vocals during the 1975 tour seems to be barking out the lyrics. However they remained a top band. MJ was once said "people thought MT version of the Rolling Stones was the best version". He was asked what did he think. He said I can't answer that because it would trash the current version of the band. Honestly I am happy they are still touring and pray.they continue.I realize these are now older people and not 1973. God bless them.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 11, 2022 17:13

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Their peak in the studio is generally seen as 1968-1972. I don't necessarily agree with that, but Taylor was only instrumental in making two of those albums.

He was still a member during that time, I never said it was their peak because of him. Somebody said “he was never a Rolling Stone.” C’mon now.

I thought it's common knowledge that he was a paid employee?

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 18:15

silkcut1978_
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Their peak in the studio is generally seen as 1968-1972. I don't necessarily agree with that, but Taylor was only instrumental in making two of those albums.

He was still a member during that time, I never said it was their peak because of him. Somebody said “he was never a Rolling Stone.” C’mon now.

That isn't true and I don't know where it keeps coming from. Here's an interview with Nick Kent and Mick Jagger from 1974 where Mick says Mick T was a proper member of the band -

Nick Kent: "What about the ugly rumours about Taylor being placed on a wage? though Mick? Elucidate if you could."

Mick J: "Couple of months or so - sure, he was on a wage. And that was simply because we were trying him out then obviously to see if he was in fact going to fit in. After that though...well he was getting exactly the same as me. It's split five ways - the tour money, the record royalties. There's absolutely no preferential treatment there whatsoever".

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 11, 2022 18:37

Meryl03

Mick J: "Couple of months or so - sure, he was on a wage. And that was simply because we were trying him out then obviously to see if he was in fact going to fit in. After that though...well he was getting exactly the same as me. It's split five ways - the tour money, the record royalties. There's absolutely no preferential treatment there whatsoever".

Surely it's not that way now with Daryl and Steve. Wonder what changed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 22:01 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2022 18:40

silkcut1978_
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

That would have been Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, and Jim Price. Back when the band was an 8-piece on stage.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 18:41

NashvilleBlues
Meryl03

Surely it's not that way now with Darryl and Steve. Wonder what changed?

Nothing changed. Mick Taylor was "hired" with the idea of making him a full fatched Rolling Stone (like Ronnie later on). Daryl and Steve are hired as supporting musicians during the Stones during tours, just like Bernard, Chuck, etc.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: August 11, 2022 18:57

georgie48
NashvilleBlues
Meryl03

Nothing changed. Mick Taylor was "hired" with the idea of making him a full fatched Rolling Stone (like Ronnie later on). Daryl and Steve are hired as supporting musicians during the Stones during tours, just like Bernard, Chuck, etc.

Not making an essential member a permanent member apparently HAS changed.

Daryl and Steve ARE essential. Bass and drums are essential (more than backup singers, keyboards, etc.) parts of a rock band, to me, and I'd guess most people. They absolutely have to have a drummer and a bass player. If Ronnie is an official member and Daryl isn't after all these years, something has changed. Taylor wasn't an original member but he became an official member, too. Please don't act like you don't know what I'm trying to convey. Please let me know if I misunderstood your message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 22:01 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 11, 2022 19:28

silkcut1978_
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

From what I have read when the Stones left Abkco to form Rolling Stones Records, Taylor was given a 20% share in the company just like the others. They wouldn't have done that if he wasn't a proper member. My understanding was that he was on salary during the 1969 tour to see if he would work out with band before they made him a member.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 11, 2022 19:55

A little fuzzy on exact dates but I believe (someone feel free to correct me) that The Stones kept paying Taylor for several years after he left and only when they moved to Columbia in the mid-Eighties did he finally get cut off financially.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 21:33

NashvilleBlues
georgie48
NashvilleBlues
Meryl03

Surely it's not that way now with Darryl and Steve. Wonder what changed?

Darryl and Steve ARE essential. Bass and drums are essential (more than backup singers, keyboards, etc.) parts of a rock band, to me, and I'd guess most people. They absolutely have to have a drummer and a bass player. If Ronnie is an official member and Darryl isn't after all these years, something has changed. Taylor wasn't an original member but he became an official member, too. Please don't act like you don't know what I'm trying to convey. Please let me know if I misunderstood your message.

I understand what you say, but ... to start with Daryl, when he was hired, the other Stones were still thinking in terms of "we leave the place open, to let Bill Wyman know that he could come back". Then Ronnie Wood. Many guitar players were invited, among them several Americans. Were they tested or was it to complete Black & Blue because Mick Taylor having left had created a crisis. Apparently the issue "we, after all, are an English band, so ..." was also a discussion so Ronnie Wood became the man as soon as his obligations toward the Faces were finished.
It could still very well be "we're an English band" and then Daryl and Steve, being Americans, are not in the picture, despite the fact that they are very essential. I don't think an English drummer would be approached to replace (terrible word) Charlie, because Keith would oppose simply because he has worked with Steve for decades. So again, I don't think anything has changed, really.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2022 21:48

PhillyFAN
I saw The Faces decades ago in Philly. I believe RW was great in The Faces. He was his own man and not left to try to play what MT created. He seemed more creative. He was writing songs and creating his own solos.I often wonder how far they would have gone if Rod Stewart didn't go solo and treated The Faces like his touring band and session musicians.Howeve RW joining.the Stones made the Stones a different band.They actually became silly IMO humble. Blow up dolls. Huge inflatable penises popping out of the stage.Gimmics. Even MJ vocals during the 1975 tour seems to be barking out the lyrics. However they remained a top band. MJ was once said "people thought MT version of the Rolling Stones was the best version". He was asked what did he think. He said I can't answer that because it would trash the current version of the band. Honestly I am happy they are still touring and pray.they continue.I realize these are now older people and not 1973. God bless them.

From Rolling Stone magazine, 1995:

“He (Mick Taylor) was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don’t have now… Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed.”
Asked if he agree with those people, Jagger replied: “I obviously can’t say if I think Mick Taylor was the best, because it sort of trashes the period the band is in now.”

A couple of quotes from Keith:

“We did the most brilliant stuff together, some of the most brilliant stuff the Stones ever did.
Everything was there in his playing — the melodic touch, a beautiful sustain and a way of reading a song.”

“He’d get where I was going even before I did. I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor, especially on that slide – try it on ‘Love in Vain."

And one from Charlie:

"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility"

We know Ronnie worships Taylor having recruited him for various tributes, etc.

And I would imagine Bill has similar praise as well.

Date: August 11, 2022 22:00

georgie48
NashvilleBlues
georgie48
NashvilleBlues
Meryl03

Darryl and Steve ARE essential. Bass and drums are essential (more than backup singers, keyboards, etc.) parts of a rock band, to me, and I'd guess most people. They absolutely have to have a drummer and a bass player. If Ronnie is an official member and Daryl isn't after all these years, something has changed. Taylor wasn't an original member but he became an official member, too. Please don't act like you don't know what I'm trying to convey. Please let me know if I misunderstood your message.

I understand what you say, but ... to start with Daryl, when he was hired, the other Stones were still thinking in terms of "we leave the place open, to let Bill Wyman know that he could come back". Then Ronnie Wood. Many guitar players were invited, among them several Americans. Were they tested or was it to complete Black & Blue because Mick Taylor having left had created a crisis. Apparently the issue "we, after all, are an English band, so ..." was also a discussion so Ronnie Wood became the man as soon as his obligations toward the Faces were finished.
It could still very well be "we're an English band" and then Daryl and Steve, being Americans, are not in the picture, despite the fact that they are very essential. I don't think an English drummer would be approached to replace (terrible word) Charlie, because Keith would oppose simply because he has worked with Steve for decades. So again, I don't think anything has changed, really.

Makes sense. thumbs up

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:04

silkcut1978_
I guess you guys simply don't get it. Not everybody is impressed with Mick T. way of playing and "noodling".
When GHS got it's re-release I dug more deeper into the record than ever before and found out that all the stuff that kept me away from this record for decades was delivered by Mick T and/or Billy Preston.
Best example for me is 100 Years Ago - a lovely tune but in the end when the soloing is starting I'm stepping out. I can't stand the sound of the guitar and the clavinet - for me it destroys the song.

Ronnie inferior? Maybe yes. But he IS rock'n roll and he IS a Rolling Stone. Two things Mick Taylor never managed to be. And now that he's gone for almost 50 years people are wanting him back? A rather infantile wish, isn't it?

I agree with this. Full respect for MT's talent, but the noodling on some songs doesn't feel like a part of the song, but something separate. Almost like photo bombing a picture.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:24

MKjan
silkcut1978_
I guess you guys simply don't get it. Not everybody is impressed with Mick T. way of playing and "noodling".
When GHS got it's re-release I dug more deeper into the record than ever before and found out that all the stuff that kept me away from this record for decades was delivered by Mick T and/or Billy Preston.
Best example for me is 100 Years Ago - a lovely tune but in the end when the soloing is starting I'm stepping out. I can't stand the sound of the guitar and the clavinet - for me it destroys the song.

Ronnie inferior? Maybe yes. But he IS rock'n roll and he IS a Rolling Stone. Two things Mick Taylor never managed to be. And now that he's gone for almost 50 years people are wanting him back? A rather infantile wish, isn't it?

I agree with this. Full respect for MT's talent, but the noodling on some songs doesn't feel like a part of the song, but something separate. Almost like photo bombing a picture.

No, but his noodling often lifted a song to a higher level Keith couldn't take them to.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:38

24FPS
MKjan
silkcut1978_

No, but his noodling often lifted a song to a higher level Keith couldn't take them to.

Lifted a song until his noodling ruined it. Keith has a much better understanding of what a song should be.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:49

MKjan
24FPS
MKjan
silkcut1978_

Lifted a song until his noodling ruined it. Keith has a much better understanding of what a song should be.
This noodling stuff is bullshit.He is always playing off what Keith is doing. He perfectly complimented Keith’s guitar.Take a song like Brussels Midnight Rambler.Keith is playing more thanTaylor.His solos are brief.This just sounds like the Stones PR office line.

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: August 12, 2022 00:26

Yes, but I think he was playing off Mick J more than Keith. As Mick says -

"It was rather difficult for us to find another guitar player. I mean Keith is always going on in all these interviews that for him Mick Taylor was difficult, but for me he was really great 'cause he was so melodic to follow what I did vocally."

"I do like performing or working with guitar players that also work around lead lines a lot – like Eric [Clapton] or Mick Taylor"

"We made [tracks] with just Mick Taylor, which are very good and everyone loves, where Keith wasn't there for whatever reasons... People don't know that Keith wasn't there making it. All the stuff like Moonlight Mile, Sway. These tracks are a bit obscure, but they are liked by people that like the Rolling Stones. It's me and [Mick Taylor] playing off each other - another feeling completely, because he's following my vocal lines and then extemporising on them during the solos...a guitar player that just plays very careful lead lines and listens to what his vocalist is doing."

"It was very good for me working with him. Charlie and I were talking about this the other day, because we could sit down – I could sit down – with Mick Taylor, and he would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting, and he was very pretty, and it gave me something to follow, to bang off. Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed."

"What do you think?"

"They’re all interesting periods. They’re all different. I obviously can’t say if I think Mick Taylor was the best, because it sort of trashes the period the band is in now."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 00:27 by Meryl03.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 12, 2022 00:36

A Rolling Stone is, who is pictured on an Stones-album-cover. Thank you, that's all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2022 02:00

deardoctor
A Rolling Stone is, who is pictured on an Stones-album-cover. Thank you, that's all.

So when Bill has been photoshopped/deleted off of album covers, he's no longer a Rolling Stone? Even when he's playing bass on the album?

SAD, SAD, SAD

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 12, 2022 12:11

Meryl03
Yes, but I think he was playing off Mick J more than Keith. As Mick says -

"It was rather difficult for us to find another guitar player. I mean Keith is always going on in all these interviews that for him Mick Taylor was difficult, but for me he was really great 'cause he was so melodic to follow what I did vocally."

"I do like performing or working with guitar players that also work around lead lines a lot – like Eric [Clapton] or Mick Taylor"

"We made [tracks] with just Mick Taylor, which are very good and everyone loves, where Keith wasn't there for whatever reasons... People don't know that Keith wasn't there making it. All the stuff like Moonlight Mile, Sway. These tracks are a bit obscure, but they are liked by people that like the Rolling Stones. It's me and [Mick Taylor] playing off each other - another feeling completely, because he's following my vocal lines and then extemporising on them during the solos...a guitar player that just plays very careful lead lines and listens to what his vocalist is doing."

"It was very good for me working with him. Charlie and I were talking about this the other day, because we could sit down – I could sit down – with Mick Taylor, and he would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting, and he was very pretty, and it gave me something to follow, to bang off. Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed."

"What do you think?"

"They’re all interesting periods. They’re all different. I obviously can’t say if I think Mick Taylor was the best, because it sort of trashes the period the band is in now."

Sounds to me like MJ is admitting he should have gave song writing credits to Taylor, and how silly of MJ not to have asked Taylor to work on tracks with him throughout the years when he couldn't / wouldn't work with Keith.

Date: August 12, 2022 15:46

MKjan
24FPS
MKjan
silkcut1978_

I’m sorry but just because you can’t grasp something musically doesn’t mean it’s noodling.

Date: August 12, 2022 15:49

deardoctor

Interesting. What does the Sticky Fingers cover guy play?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 15:49 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 12, 2022 18:46

To all you noodling experts , please tell me where the noodling is here.Sounds to me like Taylor is following Keith’s playing and complimenting him brilliantly.He is pushing the song down the tracksvideo: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 18:49 by Taylor1.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: August 12, 2022 20:27

Ron Wood fanboys discussing MT noodling...isn't that hilarious.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I love Ron Wood, esp his Faces and Rod Stewart work...but he ain't no MT. His playing with the Stones is the definition of noodling.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2022 20:28

Taylor1
To all you noodling experts , please tell me where the noodling is here.Sounds to me like Taylor is following Keith’s playing and complimenting him brilliantly.He is pushing the song down the tracksvideo: [youtu.be]

I repeated the noodling idea facetiously. I don't know if Mick Taylor was perfectly 'weaved-in' with Keith but he added to the songs, especially live. I don't think he ever made a song worse. They may have had him tone it down a bit to keep a song from becoming an extended jam.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 12, 2022 21:21

I’ve just re-watched that clip of Taylor performing the Shine A Light solo on telly, circa 2012. OMG! He still, then, had all the chops. Okay, so he’s say on a stool, but the fluidity, precision... it’s tremendous. I’m sure this has been discussed through the pages of this thread, but wowza, what a guitarist!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...283284285286287288289290291292293...LastNext
Current Page: 288 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home