Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...281282283284285286287288289290291...LastNext
Current Page: 286 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 02:18

keefriffhards
billwebster
Meryl03
Carla Olson has been on a few podcasts recently and she said about Mick "He basically seems to be not really wanting to be on the road or do anything, y'know real real depressing, but this record is one of the things that changed my life." She also said Mick is close to her heart and like a brother to her.

This quote, combined with the lack of public appearances in recent years, makes it seem very much like he has actually retired. If so, then happy retirement. And thank you for the music.

Its like riding a bike, you don't forget how to play guitar, i still hope for a return some day in some way, i thought MT would get a good band together with a suitable lead singer with the money he got paid for the 50th anniversary shows, but sadly he wasn't motivated i guess, you never know though, i don't think we've heard the last of MT. I wish him good luck and health in whatever he's doing.
I always thought he would sound good with Paul McCartney

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2022 02:37

Would be a great surprise if MT shows up at the grand finale Waldbühne show tomorrow in Berlin.
Might be unrealistic to think it could ever happen, but it would definitely be a highlight of these recent shows; I'd say the biggest highlight.
Even though they titled the tour Sixty, there has been no real celebration with these current shows - bring on MT (and even Bill) to take it to another level.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 2, 2022 07:47

keefriffhards
billwebster
Meryl03
Carla Olson has been on a few podcasts recently and she said about Mick "He basically seems to be not really wanting to be on the road or do anything, y'know real real depressing, but this record is one of the things that changed my life." She also said Mick is close to her heart and like a brother to her.

This quote, combined with the lack of public appearances in recent years, makes it seem very much like he has actually retired. If so, then happy retirement. And thank you for the music.

Its like riding a bike, you don't forget how to play guitar, i still hope for a return some day in some way, i thought MT would get a good band together with a suitable lead singer with the money he got paid for the 50th anniversary shows, but sadly he wasn't motivated i guess, you never know though, i don't think we've heard the last of MT. I wish him good luck and health in whatever he's doing.

Lack of motivation? Considering his age and the current climate of the music industry, his decision to use the money he got paid for the Stones 50th anniversary shows for a quiet and worry-free retirement life is probably the wisest career move he's ever made.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 2, 2022 17:44

Hairball
Would be a great surprise if MT shows up at the grand finale Waldbühne show tomorrow in Berlin.
Might be unrealistic to think it could ever happen, but it would definitely be a highlight of these recent shows; I'd say the biggest highlight.
Even though they titled the tour Sixty, there has been no real celebration with these current shows - bring on MT (and even Bill) to take it to another level.

This is as realistic as for drumming and bass-playing Paul and Ringo will unite with the Stones tomorrow.

Date: August 5, 2022 20:25

Sail away.

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: August 7, 2022 17:49

ProfessorWolf
Meryl03

has she said anything else about how he's doing?

No, unfortunately. I hope he's ok.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 7, 2022 19:34

Mick Taylor is 73-year-old pensioner. He isn’t Mick Jagger. I suspect he’s near-fully retired and just living-out his finds years in peace. Whilst it’ll forever be a joy to look back and appreciate his career, that was very much yesterday. He probably noodles casually on his guitar, whilst pottering around. In the summer, he may sit in his garden; if he has one. Good for him.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 7, 2022 20:01

I would love to see him with the 3 Stones doing an unplugged session covering stuff like TWFNO,Sway,Winter etc.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2022 21:04

Did anyone listen to Mick Taylor when he reunited with the Stones? What was left of his shredded talent was long gone. I'm not sure what would even be left if he ever did anything with what's left of the Stones.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 7, 2022 21:07

Meryl03

What record is she referencing? Does Carla have a new album coming out on which Mick plays, or was she talking about one of their older projects?

Date: August 7, 2022 21:27

24FPS
Did anyone listen to Mick Taylor when he reunited with the Stones? What was left of his shredded talent was long gone. I'm not sure what would even be left if he ever did anything with what's left of the Stones.
That is such a false statement,IMO. He was great on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Go and listen to what Jagger says at the end of his solo on the song. He says”@#$%& great, love you”. He was good on Midnight Rambler at Hyde Park and other venues.But not maybe at his level in1973.If he had no talent left then Wood and Keith have had no ability to play in 30 years. You think Woods playing on the 50 and Counting tour was better than Taylor?Youthink Wood has played well on this tour?Point to a song on the 50 and Counting Tour cwhere Wood and Keith are playing better than Taylor.The answer is zero

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-07 21:30 by Taylor1.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 7, 2022 22:50

24FPS I know a good ear cleaner in Connaught Place,Delhi I suggest u visit him

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 8, 2022 07:25

stargroover
24FPS I know a good ear cleaner in Connaught Place,Delhi I suggest u visit
him

I heard him live, with perfectly clean ears in 2013 in Los Angeles. Yes, he can still play at a certain level. He also did a good job on the playout on Plundered My Soul. But he's not THE Mick Taylor anymore. Just like Keith is long past his peak. (Though he's sounded pretty good lately). The point is people are nostalgic for the Taylor of the early 70s. That guy doesn't exist.

Date: August 8, 2022 10:53

Taylor1
24FPS
That is such a false statement,IMO. He was great on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury.Go and listen to what Jagger says at the end of his solo on the song. He says”@#$%& great, love you”. He was good on Midnight Rambler at Hyde Park and other venues.But not maybe at his level in1973.If he had no talent left then Wood and Keith have had no ability to play in 30 years. You think Woods playing on the 50 and Counting tour was better than Taylor?Youthink Wood has played well on this tour?Point to a song on the 50 and Counting Tour cwhere Wood and Keith are playing better than Taylor.The answer is zero

There is no right or wrong when it comes to taste. And there are many who didn't like the calypso-ish direction Taylor took CYHMK to, even though he performed it good.

That's Stones fans for you smiling smiley

The only valid comparison for the band's guitarists are with themselves, imo. Taylor is a very active lead guitarist. IMO, he was lightyears below the standards we were used to when he was in the band. If Keith was hired by another band to play soaring leads all the time he was on stage, he would have gotten the same criticism from me. However, that's not his role in The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 8, 2022 12:01

Big Al
Mick Taylor is 73-year-old pensioner. He isn’t Mick Jagger. I suspect he’s near-fully retired and just living-out his finds years in peace. Whilst it’ll forever be a joy to look back and appreciate his career, that was very much yesterday. He probably noodles casually on his guitar, whilst pottering around. In the summer, he may sit in his garden; if he has one. Good for him.

Yes he has. He lives in a small town (population approx 2700) half an hour drive from where I live. I don't think this is his only house. Otherwise, gardening is not one of his hobbies spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 12:05 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 8, 2022 12:27

Meryl03
ProfessorWolf
Meryl03

has she said anything else about how he's doing?

No, unfortunately. I hope he's ok.

me too

but if he has retired from music maybe he's writing a book

that's one i'd like to read!smiling smiley

Date: August 8, 2022 12:42

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

There is no right or wrong when it comes to taste. And there are many who didn't like the calypso-ish direction Taylor took CYHMK to, even though he performed it good.

The only valid comparison for the band's guitarists are with themselves, imo. Taylor is a very active lead guitarist. IMO, he was lightyears below the standards we were used to when he was in the band. If Keith was hired by another band to play soaring leads all the time he was on stage, he would have gotten the same criticism from me. However, that's not his role in The Rolling Stones.
Baloney.His playing on that tour was not light years below what he played.Why did Jagger yell @#$%& great after his solo at Glastonbury.Please reply to that, you cannot. And why is it you never critique Ron Wood ‘splaying.Why don’t you comment on Wood’s playing.Because it has been crap for yearsAnd Keith is a shell of his greatness. You sound like a bot for the Stones PR office with your constant attacks and diminishing of Taylor.Give it a rest dude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 13:03 by Taylor1.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 8, 2022 13:07

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

Baloney.His playing on that tour was not light years below what he played.Why did Jagger yell @#$%& great after his solo at Glastonbury.Please reply to that, you cannot. And why is it you never critique Ron Wood ‘splaying.It’s been crap for yearsAnd Keith is a shell of his greatness. You sound like a bot for the Stones PR office with your constant attacks and diminishing of Taylor.Give it a rest dude.

Saw him in Rome and Vienna 2014 and he was easy to ignore.
Obviously he was allowed to earn a little money through Mick Jagger's mercy.
But you have a point - a great solo in a span of 20 years (Glastonbury) - that's him. Still waiting for his solo career to take off again. 1 LP in more than 40 years is quite little.
Ronnie? He IS Rock'n Roll dude, no need for arguing smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 13:07 by silkcut1978_.

Date: August 8, 2022 13:14

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

Baloney.His playing on that tour was not light years below what he played. Why did Jagger yell @#$%& great after his solo at Glastonbury.Please reply to that, you cannot. And why is it you never critique Ron Wood ‘splaying.Why don’t you comment on Wood’s playing.Because it has been crap for yearsAnd Keith is a shell of his greatness. You sound like a bot for the Stones PR office with your constant attacks and diminishing of Taylor.Give it a rest dude.

Yes, it was. Firstly, his sound was different. With a cleaner sound he didn't get the brilliant sustain he had 1969-1973. The fluent playing we all loved so much wasn't there either.

Wood, like Richards, has a different role. Very few extended solos. So, a comparison is a moot point, as they do different things. Is Wood's playing so much worse that that of 1982? Perhaps a bit, but we have to expect that (From Taylor as well). They are old men now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 13:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 8, 2022 13:28

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

Baloney.His playing on that tour was not light years below what he played. Why did Jagger yell @#$%& great after his solo at Glastonbury.Please reply to that, you cannot. And why is it you never critique Ron Wood ‘splaying.Why don’t you comment on Wood’s playing.Because it has been crap for yearsAnd Keith is a shell of his greatness. You sound like a bot for the Stones PR office with your constant attacks and diminishing of Taylor.Give it a rest dude.

Yes, it was. Firstly, his sound was different. With a cleaner sound he didn't get the brilliant sustain he had 1969-1973. The fluent playing we all loved so much wasn't there either.

Wood, like Richards, has a different role. Very few extended solos. So, a comparison is a moot point, as they do different things. Is Wood's playing so much worse that that of 1982? Perhaps a bit, but we have to expect that (From Taylor as well). They are old men now.
Oh , please.Keith cannot play anywhere near as fast or with the rhythmic power and precision of 1975 or even 1990, understandable given his age.And that has been true for over 20 years.Wood did some great playing up until about 1994.Since then his solos and the rest of his playing have been crap. Taylor was given one song a night basically to play on.Kinda of hard to warm up. That’s why these celebrity guests who come on for one song always sound subpar.Abd Taylor had to play off Keith , who wasn’t playing that great.Not saying Taylor was like he was in1973, but his playing was good

Date: August 8, 2022 13:37

<Wood did some great playing up until about 1994.Since then his solos and the rest of his playing have been crap>

I don't agree with that. He did some cool things in 1989. By 1994 his playing had detoriated a bit. Then came 9 years with boozing that effected his playing a lot. When the 50 & Counting-tour started I thought he was brilliant.

He might have been a tad weaker this tour, but considering what he has been through (something I know a lot about), I think you should look in the mirror and ask yourself if your criticism of him is in place.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 8, 2022 14:45

silkcut1978_
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

Baloney.His playing on that tour was not light years below what he played.Why did Jagger yell @#$%& great after his solo at Glastonbury.Please reply to that, you cannot. And why is it you never critique Ron Wood ‘splaying.It’s been crap for yearsAnd Keith is a shell of his greatness. You sound like a bot for the Stones PR office with your constant attacks and diminishing of Taylor.Give it a rest dude.

Saw him in Rome and Vienna 2014 and he was easy to ignore.
Obviously he was allowed to earn a little money through Mick Jagger's mercy.
But you have a point - a great solo in a span of 20 years (Glastonbury) - that's him. Still waiting for his solo career to take off again. 1 LP in more than 40 years is quite little.
Ronnie? He IS Rock'n Roll dude, no need for arguing smileys with beer

All you have to do is watch the Jimmy Reed concerts with both of them up there to understand their capabilities. Maybe ask Gary Clark Jr?

If you think the only thing Taylor has done the last 20 years is take one solo you’re sorely missing out on a lot of great concerts. He is a TRUE bluesman, traveling from town to town playing from his heart.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 8, 2022 14:46

DandelionPowderman

I don't agree with that. He did some cool things in 1989. By 1994 his playing had detoriated a bit. Then came 9 years with boozing that effected his playing a lot. When the 50 & Counting-tour started I thought he was brilliant.

He might have been a tad weaker this tour, but considering what he has been through (something I know a lot about), I think you should look in the mirror and ask yourself if your criticism of him is in place.

Do you ever come to Taylor’s defense?

Date: August 8, 2022 14:53

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Do you ever come to Taylor’s defense?

I saw a glimpse of old greatness on MR in Roskilde in 2014. That was really brilliant, albeit in fragments smiling smiley

I mentioned his (imo) wrong tone and his age as factors that could have hindered optimal performances earlier, though.

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 17:22

VoodooLounge13
Meryl03

What record is she referencing? Does Carla have a new album coming out on which Mick plays, or was she talking about one of their older projects?

She was talking about their live album, nothing new.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:01

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
24FPS

This nails it. Glastonbury often gets mentioned in his defense, but it was only one show. His regular guest spot was MR, and I recall being disappointed by what he did. His sound was too clean, he didn't get his former brilliant sustain, and the fluency left a lot to be desired. The parts he played over MR often felt unconnected in themselves, but also strangely unconnected with the band and in particular with the lead vocals.

I know I was very disappointed back then, and repeated listening to the available recordings didn't change my perception in the meantime. And I say this as a huge fan of Taylor's work 1969-1973 who often prayed for his return prior to "50 ...and counting" due to the obvious and ever-increasing flaws in the Stones guitar department since at least the mid-90's.

Date: August 8, 2022 21:33

Comparisons are inevitable, especially when discussing songs that MT originally played on such as Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Sway.

While MT might not be the same as he was in his prime (none of them are), it's almost depressing to hear Ronnie attempting to play Taylor's guitar solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking.
Aside from Keiths great opening riff, one of the only other bright sides of the recent abbreviated/shortened version of CYHMK, is that Ronnie wasn't allowed to contribute an extended cacophony of noise.
In contrast, Mick Taylor was the highlight of every show he performed at during his guest appearances (at least at the shows I attended), even if he wasn't at his vintage peak of the golden era.
Staples Center #2 - May 20th, 2013 included an amazing Sway, a glorious CYMK, and a virtuoso MR...a show for the ages, and one of the best of the latter era. Keith and Ronnie would probably agree.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 21:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 9, 2022 00:04

All this chat about his diminished playing. I believe his last live performance was White Room. A tribute to Cream? Judging from that his playing was impressive. We all know Time waits for no kne but mo one on here has heard him play since then. I could.be wrong.Has anyone heard him playing?

Date: August 9, 2022 00:40

PhillyFAN
All this chat about his diminished playing. I believe his last live performance was White Room. A tribute to Cream? Judging from that his playing was impressive. We all know Time waits for no kne but mo one on here has heard him play since then. I could.be wrong.Has anyone heard him playing?

Not recently, but generally speaking, I'd say that his playing ability is actually more intact than both Keith and Ronnie if we were to compare each of them and their given strengths.
Keith can still play an occasional nice riff (for his age), and even Ronnie has his occasional moments (few and far between), but both are so far removed from their glory days it's impossible not to notice.
Mick Taylor on the other hand still showed many signs of being a virtuoso, and while not as consistently great as c. '73, he sill displayed far more skill, focus, and concentration than the other two.
Even Keith noticed, and after the reunion shows he thought out loud publicly about the possibility of the Stones being a three guitar band, but then thought twice, and was probably vetoed by the boss.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 9, 2022 00:45

PhillyFAN

He certainly was in good form here in 2016, no reason to believe he still can't play like that if the Stones ever need him, can't see how a few weeks of rehearsals wouldn't do the trick.
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...281282283284285286287288289290291...LastNext
Current Page: 286 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home