Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...280281282283284285286287288289290...LastNext
Current Page: 285 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: July 28, 2022 09:26

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

We know the answer to that when listening to Heartbreaker live.

"Adjust his style in the future, late 7-tees". Always quote in the right context please.

We don't know the answer because the 1973 versions were the only ones with Taylor, and also the initial question by 'FP' was hypothetical.

Besides, I don't hear any funk in Heartbreaker at all apart from Billy Preston. Nile Rodgers never played with the Stones. I consider him as funky. But please explain smiling smiley

Then you should listen again, to the live versions - especially to the part that's not on the album version smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-28 09:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2022 11:01

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

"Adjust his style in the future, late 7-tees". Always quote in the right context please.

We don't know the answer because the 1973 versions were the only ones with Taylor, and also the initial question by 'FP' was hypothetical.

Besides, I don't hear any funk in Heartbreaker at all apart from Billy Preston. Nile Rodgers never played with the Stones. I consider him as funky. But please explain smiling smiley

Then you should listen again, to the live versions - especially to the part that's not on the album version smiling smiley

Wrong emphasis imo. I have no doubt that Taylor as the marvelous guitar player he was could have adjusted to a funkier style, but material like Hot Stuff, Miss You, Emotional Rescue, Dance, Undercover (Of The Night) is just one part of the Stones development after he left - the other direction is the return to or better new focus on a seemingly back-to the-basics rougher, raw energy approach that was regarded as an adjustment to the emerging Punk/New Wave scene back then, embodied in material like When The Whip Comes Down, Respectable, Lies, Shattered, Let Me Go, She's So Cold, Summer Romance, Neighbours and what else (not to speak of the stripped-down sound of their 1978 US tour), that was largely absent in their last two albums with Taylor and all in all was musically simpler while Taylor expressed his boredom with the Stones music and seemed to develop into a musically more complex, jazz-rock, fusion style that could not have been further apart from the Stones new direction back then.

I a nutshell - when Taylor said he was musically bored during his last time with the band, I really wonder how much more bored he could possibly have been recording Some Girls and playing live during the 1978 tour?

Not saying he couldn't play the material, far from it, but would his heart really have been into it? I have my doubts and think that just like Taylor was the right guitar player for this band in 1969 and onwards, Ronnie was the right guy for the direction the band took after Taylor left.

Date: July 28, 2022 15:07

The Keyboards and Bass are not bad either, even funky I believe.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 28, 2022 16:37

Of course he could play funky.His bass on Fingerprint File is pretty funky. Ditto his live performances with Preston.Maybe if they gave him writing credits for a funk tune…

Date: July 28, 2022 16:45

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Wrong emphasis imo. I have no doubt that Taylor as the marvelous guitar player he was could have adjusted to a funkier style, but material like Hot Stuff, Miss You, Emotional Rescue, Dance, Undercover (Of The Night) is just one part of the Stones development after he left - the other direction is the return to or better new focus on a seemingly back-to the-basics rougher, raw energy approach that was regarded as an adjustment to the emerging Punk/New Wave scene back then, embodied in material like When The Whip Comes Down, Respectable, Lies, Shattered, Let Me Go, She's So Cold, Summer Romance, Neighbours and what else (not to speak of the stripped-down sound of their 1978 US tour), that was largely absent in their last two albums with Taylor and all in all was musically simpler while Taylor expressed his boredom with the Stones music and seemed to develop into a musically more complex, jazz-rock, fusion style that could not have been further apart from the Stones new direction back then.

I a nutshell - when Taylor said he was musically bored during his last time with the band, I really wonder how much more bored he could possibly have been recording Some Girls and playing live during the 1978 tour?

Not saying he couldn't play the material, far from it, but would his heart really have been into it? I have my doubts and think that just like Taylor was the right guitar player for this band in 1969 and onwards, Ronnie was the right guy for the direction the band took after Taylor left.

Merely pointing out that Taylor d8d more than fine on the funky part of Heartbreaker live.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2022 17:25

The live version of Heartbreaker in 1973 always strikes me as a dry run for Fingerprint File. It's impossible to know if Mick and Keith would have written the same songs had Taylor stayed or how the arrangements would have differed, but had he rejoined the band, he could easily have played the songs and made them "his" the same as he did with Streets of Love or Can't Be Seen when given the opportunity. I've heard Taylor play Start Me Up on a radio broadcast, he could have fit at any period if he was welcomed and if he wanted to do so. As for Nile Rodgers, see SHE'S THE BOSS. Get past anti-Mick bias, and things like Half a Loaf or Turn the Girl Loose aren't far removed musically from Miss You or Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:10

Interesting point everyone!

Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:13

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
S.T.P
FP
Two questions.

Did Mick Taylor ever enjoy being a Rolling Stone? He said in Stones in Exile doc that he found it "fun" but without much conviction and every other interview I read he doesn't seem to give much away, although he does seem to regret leaving.

Second question, if he had not left, would he have been kicked out by Mick or Keith at some point, to be replaced by Ron Wood? Keith rarely seems to have a nice word to say about him in 70s interviews but always raves about him now. However it seems Ron and Keith hit it off so well it seems only a matter of time before Ron got the gig?

I guess there are two ways to fit in being a Rolling Stone. Socially and musically. Ron fit both. MT was stronger musically. All in all their OK with Ronnie...

Taylor seemed to be spiraling a bit, but he was still contributing to their sound, especially live. He hadn't really done anything to get kicked out of the group for. We don't know if Taylor could have adjusted his playing to a funkier/disco style that they moved into with Wood. Who knows? Taylor might have been even better at it. He might have adapted quite well to the jazz infused mid to late 70s.

I do think Taylor could have been better at all styles if you listen precise "between the lines". Just more talent. But also incredibly lazy, and mainly interested in blues, unfortunately. A waste of talent.

Sometimes thinking about how much talent he had and how he really didn't seem to maximise it makes me quite sad. I mean that he played with Dylan, Jack Bruce, John Mayall and The Stones and yet STILL feels like an underachiever is crazy but there it is.

Date: July 28, 2022 20:45

FP

Sometimes thinking about how much talent he had and how he really didn't seem to maximise it makes me quite sad. I mean that he played with Dylan, Jack Bruce, John Mayall and The Stones and yet STILL feels like an underachiever is crazy but there it is.

If you listen to "Red Shoes" -see my post above- you can clearly hear that Taylor is influenced by Jeff Beck. If only....

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:53

His bass on Mr D is funky. Criss Cross as well.

I don’t particularly think the guitars on Miss You are funky at all.

Date: July 28, 2022 21:57

Can you name me more than 1 or 2 funk tracks on the Stones albums during the Wood era. Does not seem there were too many anyway

Date: July 28, 2022 22:42

Taylor1
Can you name me more than 1 or 2 funk tracks on the Stones albums during the Wood era. Does not seem there were too many anyway

I always liked the funky guitar intro of "Hey Negrita", played by Ron Wood.

Date: July 28, 2022 23:31

TravelinMan
His bass on Mr D is funky. Criss Cross as well.

I don’t particularly think the guitars on Miss You are funky at all.

Miss You guitar work and Sugar Blue's harp are bluesy. Charlie, Bill, and Mac are funk.

Ronnie's guitar on Undercover of the Night is funk, but it's also nearly note for note lifted from Sympathy for the Devil which I never think of as funky, but it sort of is.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:11

Taylor1

Hey Negrita
Hot Stuff
Miss You
Dance
Emotional Rescue
Undercover Of The Night
Too Much Blood
Pretty Beat Up
Winning Ugly
Back To Zero
Terrifying
Sex Drive
Rock And A Hard Place
Suck On The Jugular
Anybody Seen My Baby
Rain Fall Down

Date: July 29, 2022 01:56

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Hey Negrita
Hot Stuff
Miss You
Dance
Emotional Rescue
Undercover Of The Night
Too Much Blood
Pretty Beat Up
Winning Ugly
Back To Zero
Terrifying
Sex Drive
Rock And A Hard Place
Suck On The Jugular
Anybody Seen My Baby
Rain Fall Down
My grammar was poor.What I meant to say there wasn’t more than one or two per album.So maybe15 percent of the songs they released during the Wood era?And Rock on a Hard Place,Anybody Seen My Baby and Terrifying are not funk.Isn’t Slave funk?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 02:01 by Taylor1.

Date: July 29, 2022 02:00

Gotcha smiling smiley

Those tunes are funky, albeit perhaps not funk ABC...

Date: July 29, 2022 04:02

Bard, you forgot "Everything is Turning to Gold" and "Tie You Up"

Date: July 29, 2022 13:48

Even ABBA's "Dancing Queen" was funky/disco. End of the discussion to me.

Date: July 29, 2022 22:50

Rocky Dijon
Bard, you forgot "Everything is Turning to Gold" and "Tie You Up"

EITTG is a good one! I love Tie You Up, but it's more of a bluesy rocker to me.

Date: July 30, 2022 01:41

Mick Taylor - what was on your mind...long ago..

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:29

What are my thoughts on Mick Taylor right now? I can't believe that such a musical talent has practically disappeared from the public eye. His guitar playing is unique, not only is he technically brilliant, but he absolutely has his own style. He plays in a league with the greatest! Against this background, his career is modest. I hoped in 2012/13 that the Stones would become a band with three guitarists. Ronnie is just as indispensable, but he sets other musical accents. Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood are also friends and have often performed together. They both have a passion for the blues. They complement each other perfectly. I was hoping that Mick Taylor would at least make guest appearances during the SIXTY tour, but unfortunately I was wrong. Let's hope for the SEVENTY tour.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: July 30, 2022 13:35

The latest public release where he is featured is Little Feat Waiting for Columbus Deluxe edition, 8 discs set, released 2 days ago.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 30, 2022 13:48

I hope he’s well and enjoying life. But yeah I also wish he was in the picture somehow.

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 01:34

Carla Olson has been on a few podcasts recently and she said about Mick "He basically seems to be not really wanting to be on the road or do anything, y'know real real depressing, but this record is one of the things that changed my life." She also said Mick is close to her heart and like a brother to her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 01:35 by Meryl03.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:57

Just came across this and wanted to share. There are more YT of this jazz album.I wanted to share.with yall.He really os an exceptional guitar player that has gone unsung for years. Enjoy.

[youtu.be]

Date: August 1, 2022 20:26

PhillyFAN
Just came across this and wanted to share. There are more YT of this jazz album.I wanted to share.with yall.He really os an exceptional guitar player that has gone unsung for years. Enjoy.

[youtu.be]

Thanks to Mr Parker. Some fine lounge music. thumbs up

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 1, 2022 21:33

Meryl03
Carla Olson has been on a few podcasts recently and she said about Mick "He basically seems to be not really wanting to be on the road or do anything, y'know real real depressing, but this record is one of the things that changed my life." She also said Mick is close to her heart and like a brother to her.

has she said anything else about how he's doing?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 1, 2022 22:29

ProfessorWolf
Meryl03

has she said anything else about how he's doing?

And what has he been doing since the Stones 50th concerts, we know so little, does he still play, is he waiting for the Stones to need his services again, didn't he work with Mick Jagger on some fairly recent tracks.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 1, 2022 23:24

Meryl03

This quote, combined with the lack of public appearances in recent years, makes it seem very much like he has actually retired. If so, then happy retirement. And thank you for the music.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 2, 2022 00:25

billwebster
Meryl03

This quote, combined with the lack of public appearances in recent years, makes it seem very much like he has actually retired. If so, then happy retirement. And thank you for the music.

Its like riding a bike, you don't forget how to play guitar, i still hope for a return some day in some way, i thought MT would get a good band together with a suitable lead singer with the money he got paid for the 50th anniversary shows, but sadly he wasn't motivated i guess, you never know though, i don't think we've heard the last of MT. I wish him good luck and health in whatever he's doing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...280281282283284285286287288289290...LastNext
Current Page: 285 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home