Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...279280281282283284285286287288289...LastNext
Current Page: 284 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:20

Some cool fottage I've never seen before
«The Rolling Stones - Live in Amsterdam (October 9th, 1970) - 16mm film» på YouTube
[youtu.be]

Date: July 4, 2022 18:41

Great, thanks, more please!! thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 5, 2022 13:17

Here’s a video from Riff Station File- Brown Sugar- Mick Taylor’s isolated guitar with Mick Taylor’s guitar on the Sticky Fingers Brown Sugar :video: [youtu.be]The alternate version has him playing some similar lines:[video]youtube/[youtu.be]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 01:39 by Taylor1.

Date: July 18, 2022 00:22

That's what you get when you have played with the Stones for 5 years. Play it loud. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 18, 2022 10:00

<Mick Taylor’s isolated guitar with Mick Taylor’s guitar on the Sticky Fingers Brown Sugar>

There is no Mick Taylor-guitar on BS on Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 18, 2022 14:27

DandelionPowderman

Both guitars played by Keith?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 18, 2022 16:19

DandelionPowderman

Has anyone categorized the versions out there in any particular order? A guy that owns the Muscle Shoals tapes said that version is the one from the Gimme Shelter movie. I don’t hear Taylor on that one, but he supposedly played on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-18 16:20 by TravelinMan.

Date: July 18, 2022 17:56

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

All three guitars were played by Keith.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 19, 2022 21:25

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

I always felt there were more guitars layered on BS for that fat sound. I also felt Taylor plays the chords on the intro (after the riff) and then on the bridge after the chorus. There is a standard tuned guitar playing those chords blended into the open G parts. I also hear these on some of the rough mixes, although it is harder to pick out the parts. I don't really care whether MT is on BS or not and I tend to listen to live versions these days but I think he is in there if not playing a major part. I partially think Keith mixed in a few bits to throw him a bone as the new boy. Also he is credited on the liner notes to my LP version on guitar.

Date: July 19, 2022 21:29

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Has anyone categorized the versions out there in any particular order? A guy that owns the Muscle Shoals tapes said that version is the one from the Gimme Shelter movie. I don’t hear Taylor on that one, but he supposedly played on it.

Yes I would like to hear all the working versions. I imagine there is some bootleg with about 100 rough mixes out there! I have heard about three or four versions on Youtube, most are bootleg quality so difficult to assess who is doing what really.

I think two have just rhythm guitar parts behind a Jagger guide vocal, one has a MT solo and a final one has an arpeggio guitar in the verses, no idea who plays this. Also then the Gimme Shelter version which is the final version I think but with more Keith lead parts.

It would be interesting to know if MT played in standard or open G for the basic tracking session.

Date: July 20, 2022 14:31

<It would be interesting to know if MT played in standard or open G for the basic tracking session>

But did he play on the backing track session at all? He's not on the early Gimme Shelter-version. If he played, though, he would most likely have played in standard tuning.

Both of Keith's electric tracks are in open G.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 14:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 20, 2022 14:40

DandelionPowderman

But did he play on the backing track session at all? He's not on the early Gimme Shelter-version. If he played, though, he would most likely have played in standard tuning.

The engineer said he played a Strat.

Date: July 20, 2022 21:03

DandelionPowderman

I have to relisten but I hear a standard tuned guitar doubling the chords at some points. Also I think there are more guitars than three, probably layered. Taylor was at the session, we have evidence from the engineer. It would be odd for them to record this tune and tell Taylor to go to get some ciggys while they played so he must have been in the room when they jammed it out. I would imagine due to studio bleed even with baffles some of his guitar is there but them layered over by Keith.

I wish I could find the quote but Keith has said (I think referring to Soul Survivor) that there were always more guitars on the tunes that people thought. Similar with Jimmy Page and his famous guitar army, for example there are about 5 guitars doubling the riff to Black Dog.

It's pretty standard practice these days to stack guitar parts, played with different instruments and tones and Page and Richards I think are pioneers of this.

Date: July 20, 2022 21:06

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I think Jimmy Johnson confused a Strat with a Telecaster. Taylor said he used a Tele for the slide on You Gotta Move and can be seen with it in picture below at the session. Both Fender so an easy mistake. Btw the credit on the pic says it is Keith's Tele but this is not true, Mick had his own which he used.

[www.pinterest.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 21:07 by FP.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:09

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

The both electric guitars, and the acoustic one, too?

Date: July 20, 2022 23:05

FP
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I think Jimmy Johnson confused a Strat with a Telecaster. Taylor said he used a Tele for the slide on You Gotta Move and can be seen with it in picture below at the session. Both Fender so an easy mistake. Btw the credit on the pic says it is Keith's Tele but this is not true, Mick had his own which he used.

[www.pinterest.co.uk]

Hey look, it’s Mick Taylor warming up for a take of Brown Sugar!

Date: July 21, 2022 00:57

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

The both electric guitars, and the acoustic one, too?

Yes

Date: July 21, 2022 01:02

FP
DandelionPowderman

I have to relisten but I hear a standard tuned guitar doubling the chords at some points. Also I think there are more guitars than three, probably layered. Taylor was at the session, we have evidence from the engineer. It would be odd for them to record this tune and tell Taylor to go to get some ciggys while they played so he must have been in the room when they jammed it out. I would imagine due to studio bleed even with baffles some of his guitar is there but them layered over by Keith.

I wish I could find the quote but Keith has said (I think referring to Soul Survivor) that there were always more guitars on the tunes that people thought. Similar with Jimmy Page and his famous guitar army, for example there are about 5 guitars doubling the riff to Black Dog.

It's pretty standard practice these days to stack guitar parts, played with different instruments and tones and Page and Richards I think are pioneers of this.

No, it's the same open G-track that is not playing the opening riff.

They didn't have many tracks to work with, so your puzzle won't add up.

Taylor played on BS at some point, we know that from the bootlegs. However, his lead/licks-guitar was replaced by Keith's second guitar where he played rhythm/licks/Berry-licks.

Date: July 27, 2022 20:53

DandelionPowderman
FP
DandelionPowderman

No, it's the same open G-track that is not playing the opening riff.

They didn't have many tracks to work with, so your puzzle won't add up.

Taylor played on BS at some point, we know that from the bootlegs. However, his lead/licks-guitar was replaced by Keith's second guitar where he played rhythm/licks/Berry-licks.

Interesting points thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 20:54 by FP.

Date: July 27, 2022 20:58

Two questions.

Did Mick Taylor ever enjoy being a Rolling Stone? He said in Stones in Exile doc that he found it "fun" but without much conviction and every other interview I read he doesn't seem to give much away, although he does seem to regret leaving.

Second question, if he had not left, would he have been kicked out by Mick or Keith at some point, to be replaced by Ron Wood? Keith rarely seems to have a nice word to say about him in 70s interviews but always raves about him now. However it seems Ron and Keith hit it off so well it seems only a matter of time before Ron got the gig?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: July 27, 2022 21:14

FP
Two questions.

Did Mick Taylor ever enjoy being a Rolling Stone? He said in Stones in Exile doc that he found it "fun" but without much conviction and every other interview I read he doesn't seem to give much away, although he does seem to regret leaving.

Second question, if he had not left, would he have been kicked out by Mick or Keith at some point, to be replaced by Ron Wood? Keith rarely seems to have a nice word to say about him in 70s interviews but always raves about him now. However it seems Ron and Keith hit it off so well it seems only a matter of time before Ron got the gig?

I guess there are two ways to fit in being a Rolling Stone. Socially and musically. Ron fit both. MT was stronger musically. All in all their OK with Ronnie...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 27, 2022 22:10

S.T.P
FP
Two questions.

I guess there are two ways to fit in being a Rolling Stone. Socially and musically. Ron fit both. MT was stronger musically. All in all their OK with Ronnie...

Taylor seemed to be spiraling a bit, but he was still contributing to their sound, especially live. He hadn't really done anything to get kicked out of the group for. We don't know if Taylor could have adjusted his playing to a funkier/disco style that they moved into with Wood. Who knows? Taylor might have been even better at it. He might have adapted quite well to the jazz infused mid to late 70s.

Date: July 27, 2022 22:40

24FPS
S.T.P
FP
Two questions.

Taylor seemed to be spiraling a bit, but he was still contributing to their sound, especially live. He hadn't really done anything to get kicked out of the group for. We don't know if Taylor could have adjusted his playing to a funkier/disco style that they moved into with Wood. Who knows? Taylor might have been even better at it. He might have adapted quite well to the jazz infused mid to late 70s.

I do think Taylor could have been better at all styles if you listen precise "between the lines". Just more talent. But also incredibly lazy, and mainly interested in blues, unfortunately. A waste of talent.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 27, 2022 22:55

From the Steve Hoffman Forum:

About 15 years ago I interviewed Mick Taylor and I asked him what he was most proud of in his career, his work with John Mayall, The Stones, or his solo work. He said none of them, the highpoint for him was the 1984 tour with Dylan!

posted by voice with restraint, Today at 11:23 AM

Date: July 27, 2022 23:14

FP
Two questions.

I definitely don’t think they would have ever kicked him out. Jagger tried to give him time off to think about it when he quit.

Funny enough, in an interview before IORR came out, Richards said he was really excited watching Taylor develop!

Date: July 27, 2022 23:15

MrEcho
From the Steve Hoffman Forum:

About 15 years ago I interviewed Mick Taylor and I asked him what he was most proud of in his career, his work with John Mayall, The Stones, or his solo work. He said none of them, the highpoint for him was the 1984 tour with Dylan!

posted by voice with restraint, Today at 11:23 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor was more of a Dylan fan than a Stones fan. Taylor didn't think that much of the Stones when he joined them, he liked the Beatles better. Maybe he was only in the Stones for the money, and his pension grinning smiley

Date: July 28, 2022 00:53

<We don't know if Taylor could have adjusted his playing to a funkier/disco style >

We know the answer to that when listening to Heartbreaker live.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 28, 2022 01:14

TravelinMan
FP
Two questions.

I definitely don’t think they would have ever kicked him out. Jagger tried to give him time off to think about it when he quit.

Funny enough, in an interview before IORR came out, Richards said he was really excited watching Taylor develop!
Ironically in a Crawdaddy Magazine interview in1974, months before Taylor quit, Keith was asked about comments in Anthony Scadutos biography of Jagger about Brian writing songs , he saidBrian never wrote a complete song in his life.But that he and Mick we’re working with Taylor because he thought he could be a really good writer.Of course that did not work out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-28 01:16 by Taylor1.

Date: July 28, 2022 01:21

DandelionPowderman
<We don't know if Taylor could have adjusted his playing to a funkier/disco style >

We know the answer to that when listening to Heartbreaker live.

"Adjust his style in the future, late 7-tees". Always quote in the right context please.

We don't know the answer because the 1973 versions were the only ones with Taylor, and also the initial question by 'FP' was hypothetical.

Besides, I don't hear any funk in Heartbreaker at all apart from Billy Preston. Nile Rodgers never played with the Stones. I consider him as funky. But please explain smiling smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 28, 2022 05:41

Taylor played guitar for Preston when he opened the 73 shows. The guy is/was a virtuoso. Of course he could play that way. He also played some funky stuff on Herbie manns 'london underground' LP.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...279280281282283284285286287288289...LastNext
Current Page: 284 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home