Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...278279280281282283284285286287288...LastNext
Current Page: 283 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: bitman ()
Date: June 26, 2022 16:21

Mick's longtime girlfriend said on facebook that he has nothing to do with the livestream and that "sway" album. Someone just using his name.

Date: June 26, 2022 17:25

bitman
Mick's longtime girlfriend said on facebook that he has nothing to do with the livestream and that "sway" album. Someone just using his name.

Looks like Mick Taylor is on the Album. He must have something to do with it then.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: June 30, 2022 13:20

Amusing to hear Ron Wood totally butcher Taylor's classic solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking at London Hyde Park show. Plays about three notes and hits a massive clam! I love Ron but think he should stay away from this tune...Good show otherwise...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-30 13:21 by FP.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2022 22:54

FP
Amusing to hear Ron Wood totally butcher Taylor's classic solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking at London Hyde Park show. Plays about three notes and hits a massive clam! I love Ron but think he should stay away from this tune...Good show otherwise...

Yes, whenever Ronnie attempts that solo it always results in a disaster.
Whether the longer versions of the past, or the mini/shortened version from Hyde Park - it always sounds like brash and annoying caterwauling.
Can't really fault Ronnie too much though as he's clearly not as good of a guitar player as Mick Taylor, and tasteful/soulful guitar solos aren't his forte.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 1, 2022 00:21

I prefer MT, but RW played CYHMK very well in 2002-03. RW's more recent attempts have been more inconsistent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 20:49 by bam.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 1, 2022 00:46

bitman

Probably a Facebook live scam

[www.scamnet.wa.gov.au]

Date: July 1, 2022 00:55

Lien
bitman

Probably a Facebook live scam

[www.scamnet.wa.gov.au]

People "taking advantage of Mick Taylor" has often been the big complaint coming from Taylor's management over the last 10 years.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2022 15:28

Complaining is one thing...It's a shame "Taylor's management" hasn't bothered to come up with anything of interest for Mick and his fans for the past 8 years !

There were comments during/after his stint with the Stones that touring alone was not an option as it was just too tiring (hectic schedule required not to lose money) but surely he could have played some one-offs or found some guest spots here and there ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 1, 2022 15:52

Yes he could. My guess is that Taylor just had enough of playing on stage and has retired since 2016.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 1, 2022 17:08

He said he had another album in the can when Stone's Throw was released. Hell, I'll mix and master it for free and they can release it on streaming platforms. There is so little cost in getting your music out there these days.

Date: July 1, 2022 19:11

TheflyingDutchman
Yes he could. My guess is that Taylor just had enough of playing on stage and has retired since 2016.

On grueling club tours, yeah of course, but again, it seems it would have been so easy to guest on projects, in the studio or live, this remains a mystery to me...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 19:46

Yes the people making the Nicky Hopkins documentary said on Twitter that they didn't get a response from Mick T. I wonder if he even knows he was asked to take part?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 1, 2022 19:59

Hairball
FP

Whether the longer versions of the past, or the mini/shortened version from Hyde Park - it always sounds like brash and annoying caterwauling.
Can't really fault Ronnie too much though as he's clearly not as good of a guitar player as Mick Taylor, and tasteful/soulful guitar solos aren't his forte.
I disagree at all, in my opinion now Can't You Hear Me Knocking is playing it much better than in 2003.
Comparing two so different guitarists is impossible for me, Taylor is much more melodic than Ronnie, but no worse or better, I love the version at the Fonda theater, it's fantastic.

Date: July 1, 2022 20:37

gotdablouse
TheflyingDutchman

On grueling club tours, yeah of course, but again, it seems it would have been so easy to guest on projects, in the studio or live, this remains a mystery to me...

I think he remains a mystery to everyone.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2022 20:53

A mystery indeed. I think he gave up regular playing a long time ago. He WAS a much better guitar player than Ronnie, but let his chops rust. His appearances for a couple songs on the Stones tour almost a decade back was nice, but he wasn't the soaring lead guitarist from the 70s,

Date: July 1, 2022 21:11

Taylor inspired a lot of guitar players all over the world.smiling smiley

The guitarist below gives an interesting insight on Taylor's way of playing after a few minutes of fan-talk..

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 22:13

24FPS
A mystery indeed. I think he gave up regular playing a long time ago. He WAS a much better guitar player than Ronnie, but let his chops rust. His appearances for a couple songs on the Stones tour almost a decade back was nice, but he wasn't the soaring lead guitarist from the 70s,
Maybe, but it’s hard to play as well as he did in the 70s when the guitarist he was playing off on then has deteriorated as well.Maybe if Keith could still play as well as he did then Taylor might have played better. Not that he or Keith were bad, my feeling is age catches up with everybody. On those shows with Taylor2012-2014, the guitarists still played pretty good, especially given their ages

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 2, 2022 01:30

bitman

Again the same old bullshit from Taylor and/or his so-called "management"! Years ago, when asked by an interviewer about his "Stranger In This Town"-album, he replied: "It's a bootleg. I've got nothing to do with it." Yeah, a worldwide release by Maze Records and he claimed that it was a "bootleg"!

There's obviously a pattern here - he always feels cheated, betrayed, used by whomever. He always was and probably still is a great guitar player, but a professional musician? Obviously not. As a professional, you'd better add some at least basic business skills to your abilities.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 2, 2022 01:46

Testify
Hairball
FP

I disagree at all, in my opinion now Can't You Hear Me Knocking is playing it much better than in 2003.
Comparing two so different guitarists is impossible for me, Taylor is much more melodic than Ronnie, but no worse or better, I love the version at the Fonda theater, it's fantastic.

Correction, Taylor IS a better player.

Date: July 2, 2022 02:01

retired_dog
bitman

Again the same old bullshit from Taylor and/or his so-called "management"! Years ago, when asked by an interviewer about his "Stranger In This Town"-album, he replied: "It's a bootleg. I've got nothing to do with it." Yeah, a worldwide release by Maze Records and he claimed that it was a "bootleg"!

There's obviously a pattern here - he always feels cheated, betrayed, used by whomever. He always was and probably still is a great guitar player, but a professional musician? Obviously not. As a professional, you'd better add some at least basic business skills to your abilities.

I think you’re confused here. He was extremely excited about the original release and talked it up in interviews. I believe the comment you’re referring to is based on a reissue by a different company and he wasn’t involved.

It’s hard being an instrumentalist that writes incredibly memorable parts and not receiving credit. His original second album was bootlegged. A ton of his concerts were bootlegged. He doesn’t receive anything, not hard to feel a little jaded I’m sure.

Date: July 2, 2022 02:56

TravelinMan
retired_dog
bitman

I think you’re confused here. He was extremely excited about the original release and talked it up in interviews. I believe the comment you’re referring to is based on a reissue by a different company and he wasn’t involved.

It’s hard being an instrumentalist that writes incredibly memorable parts and not receiving credit. His original second album was bootlegged. A ton of his concerts were bootlegged. He doesn’t receive anything, not hard to feel a little jaded I’m sure.

No, I'm not "confused" here. As far as I recall, the interview appeared in the early 90's, not all too long after the original release. There was no talk about a specific dubious "reissue", the interviewer just asked him about the album that was still in the shops almost everywhere, just like you would ask the Stones about their opinion about "Blue And Lonesome" one or two years after its release. I clearly remember that Taylor claiming the album allegedly being "a bootleg" made me scratch my head...

Famous musicians always had to live with the fact that they are targets of bootleggers. Some are annoyed by that, and others feel honoured in a way. Usually it's not a major or even existential problem when you have your official recording, merchandise and touring business arranged in a way that generates income for you. With two solo studio albums in more than 40 years and pretty unimaginative live shows of mostly the same old song material it's certainly no wonder that Taylor's commercial value tends to "NIL" nowadays.

Whatever, I think it's pretty obvious that something went wrong with his solo career. The only question is: "WHO'S TO BLAME?"

Date: July 2, 2022 07:02

retired_dog
TravelinMan
retired_dog
bitman

No, I'm not "confused" here. As far as I recall, the interview appeared in the early 90's, not all too long after the original release. There was no talk about a specific dubious "reissue", the interviewer just asked him about the album that was still in the shops almost everywhere, just like you would ask the Stones about their opinion about "Blue And Lonesome" one or two years after its release. I clearly remember that Taylor claiming the album allegedly being "a bootleg" made me scratch my head...

Famous musicians always had to live with the fact that they are targets of bootleggers. Some are annoyed by that, and others feel honoured in a way. Usually it's not a major or even existential problem when you have your official recording, merchandise and touring business arranged in a way that generates income for you. With two solo studio albums in more than 40 years and pretty unimaginative live shows of mostly the same old song material it's certainly no wonder that Taylor's commercial value tends to "NIL" nowadays.

Whatever, I think it's pretty obvious that something went wrong with his solo career. The only question is: "WHO'S TO BLAME?"

I didn’t mean to offend you by saying you’re confused. Poor choice of words on my part. I respect your knowledge, but I don’t think he was referencing this album, or he mistakenly was. Shadow Man and some other bogus records did come out in the 90’s that definitely used his name.

I recently read an article from the late 80’s where he was talking about the live recordings and he was excited for its release. I can’t imagine he would call it a bootleg after that interview.

As far as a his solo career… I have to say what do you expect from a blues band on a budget for live presentation? A quick peek on setlistfm shows he’s played 154 different songs during his solo career. Even if some of those are repeats, I’d say that’s pretty varied for a maybe 30 year solo career.

Date: July 2, 2022 18:52

---===

Date: July 3, 2022 00:02

TravelinMan
retired_dog
TravelinMan
retired_dog
bitman

I didn’t mean to offend you by saying you’re confused. Poor choice of words on my part. I respect your knowledge, but I don’t think he was referencing this album, or he mistakenly was. Shadow Man and some other bogus records did come out in the 90’s that definitely used his name.

I recently read an article from the late 80’s where he was talking about the live recordings and he was excited for its release. I can’t imagine he would call it a bootleg after that interview.

As far as a his solo career… I have to say what do you expect from a blues band on a budget for live presentation? A quick peek on setlistfm shows he’s played 154 different songs during his solo career. Even if some of those are repeats, I’d say that’s pretty varied for a maybe 30 year solo career.

Certainly no fireworks and other extravaganza... But the question at stake is why a guitar player of his magnitude who's right up there with the other british blues legends released only 2 studio albums in more than 40 years and used to play the tiniest shitholes while someone like Joe Bonamassa can play the Royal Albert Hall? Just a better management or does it have anything to do with Mick Taylor himself?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2022 00:23

We'll never know exactly what went wrong, but in the 1980s when Taylor was recording and touring with Dylan and getting name-checked by DJs when they played Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You;" any decent manager should have been able to parlay that into a real career even as a hired gun who did the odd vanity project so he could write songs and have something approaching creative autonomy. He should have done the interview circuit after his induction in the Hall of Fame using a Where Are They Now? slant. If he had kept his profile, imagine him guesting with the Stones at Atlantic City or Miami on STEEL WHEELS or VOODOO LOUNGE. His last 35 years should have been filled with high points other than the odd electrifying club gig. He's a sad story and seems to have been surrounded by people who gave him bad advice while he made one poor choice after another.

As for Hyde Park last weekend, I thought Ronnie did his best "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" yet. Sure he needed Mick to wake him up to start and when the big solo came, he stumbled a bit - but he actually played instead of relying on volume to cover up the absence of notes as at the Fonda Theater. Taking a page from The Edge isn't the way to approach the song. As for Keith, he was great last Saturday considering his age and condition. Keeping the song tight rather than stretching out without Taylor or Bobby and when time is no longer on their side was likely the wise choice.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 3, 2022 10:43

Meryl03
Yes the people making the Nicky Hopkins documentary said on Twitter that they didn't get a response from Mick T. I wonder if he even knows he was asked to take part?

not even a response?

hope he's ok

Date: July 3, 2022 12:28

retired_dog
Certainly no fireworks and other extravaganza... But the question at stake is why a guitar player of his magnitude who's right up there with the other british blues legends released only 2 studio albums in more than 40 years and used to play the tiniest shitholes while someone like Joe Bonamassa can play the Royal Albert Hall? Just a better management or does it have anything to do with Mick Taylor himself?

Exactly, how could this have happened. Surely some enterprising souls would have gotten in touch with him and made these suggestions. Did ne not listen, were their approaches "filtered" and never got to him ?

I remember this article around 2010 in one of the UK tabloids where the journalist had paid him a visit and found him living in an unkempt shack with piles of unopened mail and a broken down car. He's lucky the Stones reached out for Exile Deluxe and took him on the road for a couple of years. Without that it's anyone's guess what would have happened to him...

--------------

Date: July 3, 2022 17:20

gotdablouse
retired_dog

Exactly, how could this have happened. Surely some enterprising souls would have gotten in touch with him and made these suggestions. Did ne not listen, were their approaches "filtered" and never got to him ?

I remember this article around 2010 in one of the UK tabloids where the journalist had paid him a visit and found him living in an unkempt shack with piles of unopened mail and a broken down car. He's lucky the Stones reached out for Exile Deluxe and took him on the road for a couple of years. Without that it's anyone's guess what would have happened to him...

I thought that was debunked for being blown out of proportion.

Date: July 3, 2022 18:16

TravelinMan
gotdablouse
retired_dog

Even if there was just a grain of truth in it (and I believe it was) it would add to the general picture of a sad, sad story.

Date: July 3, 2022 18:39

retired_dog
TravelinMan
gotdablouse
retired_dog

Even if there was just a grain of truth in it (and I believe it was) it would add to the general picture of a sad, sad story.

It had a happy ending playing with the Stones again and hearing roaring crowds for his guest spots.

I recall reading that the Stranger album was sort of an attempt at garnering major label interest to fund a studio album. I suppose it didn’t accomplish that, and sure that’s sad, but there wasn’t much you could do back then without major distribution. I would have loved to see him get on a smaller blues label and pump out his version of standards. He did an excellent job with Freddie King’s Boogieman, for instance. If he does indeed have a bunch of music in the can, there isn’t a better time than now to release stuff independently because digital distribution is so easy and you can keep the royalties.

I don’t think Mick Taylor’s story is nearly as sad as many others in the blues/rock genre. He may have gone through some rough patches but any career playing with The Rolling Stones (as a member and then as a guest) and Dylan can’t be that sad.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...278279280281282283284285286287288...LastNext
Current Page: 283 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home