Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...271272273274275276277278279280281...LastNext
Current Page: 276 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor - one of the best guitar players of all time AND one book about him?
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 9, 2021 20:05

[www.youtube.com]

here you go part 5 goes into part 6

On the road with Mick Taylor part 5/6 (a/v in sync)

Re: Mick Taylor - one of the best guitar players of all time AND one book about him?
Date: August 9, 2021 20:17

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

here you go part 5 goes into part 6

On the road with Mick Taylor part 5/6 (a/v in sync)

"Sensible music", sounds great, 1998. Thanks. thumbs up

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 9, 2021 20:56

I thought he said he was working on a book at some point? I would imagine he could get a book deal pretty easily.

I hope he releases the album he has “in the can” from the Stones Throw sessions. C’mon, Mick!

Date: August 9, 2021 21:27

He did his last performance at 25.10.2016, almost 5 years ago. I doubt we'll ever hear from him.

Date: August 9, 2021 22:15

[www.youtube.com]

Terry Reid & Mick Taylor White Room 25.10.2016

here it is - at least he went out in fine form with a great solo.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 10, 2021 06:00

TheflyingDutchman
He did his last performance at 25.10.2016, almost 5 years ago. I doubt we'll ever hear from him.

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Terry Reid & Mick Taylor White Room 25.10.2016

here it is - at least he went out in fine form with a great solo.

I was there. “An Evening for Jack” at Shepherd’s Bush Empire, the all-star tribute concert for the late bassist’s second anniversary of his passing. Have never realized it was Mick Taylor’s last public performance so far...he hasn’t played for, what, five years? @#$%&’ hell...

[www.jazzwise.com]

One curious point about this event is that it wasn’t advertised, even mentioned, on the official Jack Bruce website [www.jackbruce.com]. Jack’s second wife and widow, Margrit Seyffer, had already planned and executed a similar tribute event, “Sunshine of Your Love”, at the Roundhouse on October 24, 2015, the first anniversary of Jack’s demise. I was there, too. The lineups of the two events were completely different but Ginger Baker as the only name who appeared on both. Ginger, however, abandoned the playing in the middle of We’re Going Wrong, the closing number of the first anniversary event, and left the stage. He didn’t come back for the encore by all the performers, Sunshine of Your Love. His behaviour of the night caused widespread repercussions and conjectures.
Jack left a number of offsprings who became musicians in their own right, and seemingly every one of them appeared and performed on either of the two events but none did both. Another source of speculation.

...sorry for sidetracking.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 10, 2021 06:06

I am writing a short essay about his first Recording work as a Stone. Live With Me, I think.
Here it is in full:
Wow, Holy Shite. Wow. Whoa!!
Are you kidding me!?
Whoa.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: August 10, 2021 11:22

The was a privately published book on MT called 'Unknown Stone: The Mick Taylor Story', written by Al Lewis, who also published the Mick Taylor 'Blues Man'-fanzine for many years. But this is very hard to find nowadays.

N

Date: August 10, 2021 12:23

At least I found this:

[www.vintageguitar.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 10, 2021 17:33

He left the Stones nearly 50 years ago and unfortunately, he hasn't made much of his solo "career", so for the general music audience he began slipping into obscurity since at least the 80's, and that's reflected in the number of books about him imo, unlike Clapton for example. It's a pity.

Date: August 10, 2021 21:31

retired_dog
He left the Stones nearly 50 years ago and unfortunately, he hasn't made much of his solo "career", so for the general music audience he began slipping into obscurity since at least the 80's, and that's reflected in the number of books about him imo, unlike Clapton for example. It's a pity.

Funny enough, I’ve met more people that know him recently than 10/15/20 years ago. When I was in high school and mentioned Mick Taylor, people said “you mean Mick Jagger.” I think YouTube has spread his name and work out there so that younger generations are hip to who he is.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:59

He played for John Mayall. Then he played with the Stones for five years. During that time he was quieter than Bill Wyman. He had drug problems. The end.

Date: August 11, 2021 01:29

24FPS
He played for John Mayall. Then he played with the Stones for five years. During that time he was quieter than Bill Wyman. He had drug problems. The end.

There was a war. We won. Let’s eat.

Thanks for your contribution to this topic.

Sway: The Best Of Carla Olson & Mick Taylor
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 14, 2021 12:59

Only available on vinyl...

Sway: The Best Of Carla Olson & Mick Taylor (OPAQUE RED VINYL)

Limited to 2000 copies and not available on CD or Digitally. In 1988 former ROLLING STONES guitarist Mick Taylor began what was to be a significant series of collaborations with L.A. based Carla Olson, first with their "Live at the Roxy" album Too Hot For Snakes, the centrepiece of which is an extended seven-minute performance of “Sway” included on this album. It was followed by Olson's Within An Ace, which featured Taylor on seven songs. He appeared on three songs from Reap The Whirlwind and then again on Olson's The Ring of Truth, on which he plays lead guitar on nine tracks, including a twelve-minute version of the song "Winter". This is the best of their collaborations.

1.1 SWAY - LIVE AT THE ROXY THEATRE
1.2 SEE THE LIGHT - LIVE AT THE ROXY THEATRE
1.3 SWAY/Mick Taylor Guitar Solo - LIVE AT SLIM’S - Unreleased
2.1 JUSTICE - FROM THE ALBUM WITHIN AN ACE
2.2 WITHIN AN ACE - FROM THE ALBUM WITHIN AN ACE
2.3 KINDERWARS - FROM THE ALBUM REAP THE WHIRLWIND
2.4 LOSERVILLE - FROM THE ALBUM RING OF TRUTH

Order here: [www.amazon.com]

Sway: The Best Of Carla Olson & Mick Taylor Trailer

Re: Sway: The Best Of Carla Olson & Mick Taylor
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 14, 2021 13:02

Fabulous Flip Sides of The Rolling Stones with Carla Olson & Mick Taylor

Carla Olson discusses her work with the former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor and celebrates the release of their red vinyl album “Sway” on Sunset Blvd Records

Dec 14, 2020
Carla Mick Sway

GOLDMINE: Congratulations on Sway: The Best of Carla Olson & Mick Taylor. It is good year for Mick on vinyl.

CARLA OLSON: Thank you. Yes. The Rolling Stones’ Goats Head Soup deluxe package was released this year, too.

GM: It was the Mick Taylor era of The Rolling Stones that I grew up with in Cleveland. I was twelve years old and their live version of Chuck Berry’s “Carol” was played on our AM rock station in Cleveland. I bought The Rolling Stones’ live album Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out, which was their final album on the London label. I loved it and bought the sheet music book too. Then the following year, the same AM station was promoting the album Sticky Fingers with Mick Jagger on a radio ad that was humorously inaudible, sounding like, “Sti-ee Fin-gah” repeatedly. That was their first album on their own label and it arrived just as FM rock was beginning to take off in Cleveland. So those two albums became my introduction to Mick Taylor as a guitarist. How did the two of you meet?

CO: I was a Mick Taylor fan prior to his Rolling Stones days, when he was in John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers. I followed all of The Bluesbreakers guitar players. It was a real neck and neck tie for me between Peter Green and Mick Taylor. Then when Mick Taylor joined the Rolling Stones, I thought he added muscle to the group. Mick is a muscular player, bringing power to anyone he plays with, although he is shy on stage. When I was performing with The Textones, Bob Dylan’s road manager was a big fan, so he came to a number of shows, bringing Bob Dylan, Mick Taylor and others. When it came time to make a video for a song from Bob’s 1983 album Infidels, they suggested that I be in the video, stating that Mick Taylor, who played on the album, wouldn’t be around, and that I play a similar style of music. I was just a pantomime, but I did have to learn Mick’s parts on “Sweetheart Like You” and I learned them as good as possible. You couldn’t hear me, but it was convincing. When Mick came to one of our Textones shows, he said that he would like to do some recording with me on any project that I was working on. I invited him to come to L.A. to work on an album that I was doing with Gene Clark, but unfortunately Gene passed away before we could finish the album. This evolved into Mick coming and playing on a couple of my songs, and this probably would not have happened had that guy not asked me to be in Bob Dylan’s video.

GM: That is wonderful that your playing together and friendship has gone on for years. Going back to Sticky Fingers, the first single from the album was “Brown Sugar” with “Bitch” as its flip side, both exciting songs. Then the next single from the album was the softer “Wild Horses” on the A side and “Sway” on its flip side. Please tell me about the wah-wah guitar solo powerfully featured on your version of “Sway” with Mick.

CO: That is Mick, going on forever. We did concerts where he did the song with and some without the wah-wah and I love it both ways. Side one of this album, which is from our live shows, has it both ways, one as the opening number and one closing the first side.

GM: In the middle of the first side is “See the Light,” which I think is a very good match for “Sway.”

CO: “See the Light” is an early Textones song from 1984’s Midnight Mission album and it is a Stonesy-like ballad. I thought it would be good to include in our concert. I wanted to do a project that let Mick stretch out. When I hear the studio version of “Sway” from Sticky Fingers, for example, it sounds like it fades when Mick was about to take off and I didn’t want to stifle him.

Carla Mick Textones

GM: There is a link between The Rolling Stones and Faces with Ron Wood stepping in after Mick left. You have combined these British bands by having Faces’ keyboardist Ian McLagan join you.

CO: Mac was one of the last great piano players. We dedicate the album to him. Very few people play like that anymore. He hit those keys pretty hard to be heard among our electric guitars. I saw Faces a bunch of times in the 1970s and Ron Wood is great, but Mac was the soloist.

GM: He really comes through on “See the Light” along with Tom Jr. Morgan on saxophone.

CO: I will tell Tom you said that. That will really make his day. That solo is what helped get us our record company deal. For many years, when we play the song live, that is the solo that Tom performs.

GM: Side two is a studio side, opening with a great up-tempo number, “Justice.”

CO: “Justice” is a pretty topical song in 2020. It began with words from a Howard University poet and I was able to put music to the words, about what was going on in the south in the 1800s. Mick and Mac are just monsters on that song and George Callins plays a great rhythm guitar part and Rick Hemmert, from The Textones, comes through on drums. Jesse Sublett is on bass. Jesse and I were in a band in the 1970s called The Violators in Austin, with Kathy Valentine.

GM: “Within an Ace” comes next and is bluesy and slower and the layered guitar parts remind me of one my wife Donna’s favorite songs, Derek and The Dominos’ “Bell Bottom Blues.”

CO: George and I would come up with these melodic lines and Mick would soar over the top. At the end of the song, Mick just kept on going, which is why there is this extended bit, which is just him, until we faded him out.

GM: On “Kinderwars” there is Mikael Rickfors, who I heard with The Hollies on their Romany album with “Magic Woman Touch,” which my friend Mark owned and shared with me in 1973.

CO: Yes, Mikael was in The Hollies, doing vocals, when Allan Clarke first wanted to go solo. Prior to that Mikael was in a Swedish band named Bamboo.

GM: I also enjoy the slide guitar on the song.

CO: That is Jim Lacey-Baker. He was a kid who came to one of our shows in San Diego and asked if Mick and I would produce some songs for him in a studio and gave us a cassette of a song he wanted to record. He had booked studio time for a day that we were coming back from San Francisco. I felt wiped out from the trip, but Mick said that he would go, so Mick and Jim recorded a few songs together and became really good friends through the years and still are. Mick’s part on “Kinderwars” is a John Coltrane-like solo and I had never heard a slide guitar played like that before.

GM: The album ends with an edgy finale, “Loserville,” very up-tempo, and Barry Goldberg’s organ comes through nicely.

CO: Mick plays a great slide guitar part on it, too. This is from an album with Mick, which came out in August 2001 and much like now, we weren’t able to tour to support it. The rest is history.

GM: I remember the aftermath of September 11. For a six month period I had a whole row of seats to myself on flights. So few people were getting out and traveling. Gia Ciambotti is among the harmony vocalists on that song. I know of her through her work with The Graces, and their song “Lay Down Your Arms.”

CO: Her dad John Ciambotti was in the band Clover with Huey Lewis. John was a great bass player.

GM: You also have some upcoming releases early next year. Ladies Sing Lightfoot includes one of my favorite people, Susan Cowsill. Americana Railroad includes Paul McCartney’s guitarist Brian Ray, who was wonderful in this year’s concert film The Doors: Break on Thru – A Celebration of Ray Manzarek, which I reviewed, playing “Back Door Man.” You are also included on the flip side of Brian’s new orange vinyl single “Got a New Thing,” performing a cover of Procol Harum’s “Whiskey Train.”

CO: “Whiskey Train” might just curl your hair. Brian was supposed to sing that one, but he insisted that I sing it. I am a Procol Harum fan, but I had never sung that song before. It is really powerful and will also be on Americana Railroad, which will be in a double vinyl format along with a single CD format. I certainly appreciate all the coverage that you and Goldmine give us. We will get through this lockdown, get over it, and take our music back on the road.

[www.goldminemag.com]

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 14, 2021 13:17

GREAT.

Thanks a bundle, exilic Stone.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 14, 2021 14:00

You can buy the digital album here

[carlaolsonmicktaylor.bandcamp.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 14, 2021 18:47

Been out for a while now. Nice album. Wish it had the 12-minute Winter. That version is sublime. I used to listen to it with the lights off and just lay there with my eyes closed. Musically, it's even better than the Stones version. That solo just goes on and on and on.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 14, 2021 19:06

Outstanding, spine tingling, just wish Taylor had found himself a better singer.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: September 14, 2021 23:13

thanxs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 15, 2021 09:52

Mick Taylor - a genius ... nothing more to say ...

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: October 24, 2021 16:28

Probably his last great melodic guitar solo. Why the heck did he retire ??

Recent upload by Kleermaker, improved sound quality:

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 24, 2021 16:49

24FPS

And made a bigger mark on the band than a guitarist who has been in the band for 40+ years...think that is pretty impressive

Date: October 24, 2021 17:07

Eleanor Rigby
24FPS

And made a bigger mark on the band than a guitarist who has been in the band for 40+ years...think that is pretty impressive

From a musical point of view I agree. I wonder if the younger generation even know who Mick Taylor is.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 25, 2021 08:37

TheflyingDutchman
Eleanor Rigby
24FPS

From a musical point of view I agree. I wonder if the younger generation even know who Mick Taylor is.

I know most of the crowd had no idea who he was when Mick Jagger introduced him at their L.A. concert in 2013. Most people have a skin deep relationship with the group. We're the sick ones. Gloriously ill.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2021 10:28

TheflyingDutchman
Probably his last great melodic guitar solo. Why the heck did he retire ??

Recent upload by Kleermaker, improved sound quality:

I remember that after his stint with the Stones in 2012/2014 his entourage explained that it was hard to tour small clubs at his age, which makes sense, and he probably didn't need the money anymore, thanks to the tour and/or arrangements made over past activities. Still he could have stayed available to guest on various projects if/when he felt like it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:49

I have that best of Carla Olson and Mick Taylor LP, its glorious! I just wish it were a double and had that tremendous version of Winter.

Date: October 26, 2021 17:26

[www.youtube.com]
MT handling Clapton very fluid

After having left The Rolling Stones Mick Taylor joined The Jack Bruce Band. They played at The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975 and in the same year they toured through Europe and the UK. This is the song Sunshine Of Your Love from the concert they gave in Manchester, at The Free Trade Hall, June 1. This is a short version, the complete song can be found elsewhere on this channel. The audio quality is stellar. Personnel: Jack Bruce (vocals, bass guitar, piano); Mick Taylor (guitar); Carla Bley (keyboards); Ronnie Leahy (keyboards); Bruce Gary (drums). Sunshine Of Your Love, written by Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton and Pete Brown.

Date: October 26, 2021 17:37

Very subtle approach indeed.thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2021 23:01

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...271272273274275276277278279280281...LastNext
Current Page: 276 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home