Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...267268269270271272273274275276277...LastNext
Current Page: 272 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 27, 2021 11:15

After watching this i have to think is there a better guitarist in the world, i don't think so, and had he been touring with the Stones at this time their shows might have been unequalled.
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 27, 2021 11:54

Rocktiludrop
After watching this i have to think is there a better guitarist in the world, i don't think so, and had he been touring with the Stones at this time their shows might have been unequalled.
[m.youtube.com]
I don't think this has ever been important to the band. The Stones were never a band of great musicians, but of musicians who together produced something exceptional.
Otherwise after the best guitarist, how about hiring the best drummer and the best bassist? and the best singer?
... all nice, but they wouldn't be the Rolling Stones anymore!
Taylor worked with the Stones for a few years, but Taylor felt suffocated there, because in a band you don't have much space and in the Stones only Jagger-Richards were really fundamental and they decide.

Date: June 27, 2021 12:33

Testify
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]
I don't think this has ever been important to the band. The Stones were never a band of great musicians, but of musicians who together produced something exceptional.
Otherwise after the best guitarist, how about hiring the best drummer and the best bassist? and the best singer?
Taylor worked with the Stones for a few years, but Taylor felt suffocated there, because in a band you don't have much space and in the Stones only Jagger-Richards were really fundamental and they decide.

I think the real reason he left the band was because Mick and Keith were too greedy when it came to song writing credits, it's obvious that while Taylor was in the band he was inspirational and helped to create their best albums, the albums that followed after he left proves that.

While i agree the Stones are greater than the sum of their parts they really needed a guitarist who was on his game every night, tours that followed Taylor's departure were spasmodic from show to show, nights where it almost falls to pieces. it's the nights where neither Keith or Ronnie cover each other that were the problem, and how good was it when Keith and Taylor didn't seem to need any cover, it just gets too sloppy at times with Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 27, 2021 17:29

Rocktiludrop
Testify
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

I think the real reason he left the band was because Mick and Keith were too greedy when it came to song writing credits, it's obvious that while Taylor was in the band he was inspirational and helped to create their best albums, the albums that followed after he left proves that.

While i agree the Stones are greater than the sum of their parts they really needed a guitarist who was on his game every night, tours that followed Taylor's departure were spasmodic from show to show, nights where it almost falls to pieces. it's the nights where neither Keith or Ronnie cover each other that were the problem, and how good was it when Keith and Taylor didn't seem to need any cover, it just gets too sloppy at times with Keith and Ronnie.

I dunno but I always thought of Taylor as not the greatest creator but more as the greatest embellisher, just like Brian Jones. They needed people like Keith and Mick to come up with a song idea or even a rough scetch that they could work on and, yes, shine.

Just like Joe Cocker - not a songwriter at all, but he could turn a nice little ditty like With A Little Help From My Friends into something else... But it's still a Lennon/McCartney song!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 27, 2021 17:37

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Testify
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

I dunno but I always thought of Taylor as not the greatest creator but more as the greatest embellisher, just like Brian Jones. They needed people like Keith and Mick to come up with a song idea or even a rough scetch that they could work on and, yes, shine.

Just like Joe Cocker - not a songwriter at all, but he could turn a nice little ditty like With A Little Help From My Friends into something else... But it's still a Lennon/McCartney song!
Charlie and Bill were the best rhythm section in rock .Of course they were great musicians.A d Keith at his best is a unique great rock guitarist.

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: June 27, 2021 18:00

The difference between MT and othe guitarists is that his playing, in addition to being incredibly executed, is also often beautifully melodic.

He can play in so many different subtle styles and variations. One just has to listen to the progression in Winter. Speed has never been for me a measure of guitar acumen. I really like Jimi Hendrix and appreciate his innovative style but his playing doen't really affect me emotionally. Save perhaps Little Wing. With MT you can feel every note. The phrasing on his solo on Angie (Brussels Affair Bootleg) is an excercise in minimalist perfection. Every aspect of every note has it's purpose in creating a perfect musical sentence. Sometimes his playimg takes you in some unexpected directions then brings you back again.

Date: June 28, 2021 00:46

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Testify
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

Taylor not the greatest creator you say, agreed but would it have hurt to give him a couple writing credits to keep him happy, those songs Mick Jagger takes credit for when Keith wasn't around, that he obviously couldn't write without Taylor, if he could have wrote like that on his own where is the proof since Taylor's departure or before he joined.
Songs like Sway, Winter, and Time Waits For No One, Can You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile, man he deserves a credit for Winter and Moonlight Mile if nothing else, all he got for all his inspiration was Ventilator Blues WTF.
On some of these tracks Taylor's solo's span half the songs, the best bits..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-28 00:53 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: June 28, 2021 01:07

wavelength

The phrasing on his solo on Angie (Brussels Affair Bootleg) is an excercise in minimalist perfection. Every aspect of every note has it's purpose in creating a perfect musical sentence. Sometimes his playing takes you in some unexpected directions then brings you back again.

That's why I liked him better than Clapton.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 29, 2021 12:29

Rocktiludrop

Taylor not the greatest creator you say, agreed but would it have hurt to give him a couple writing credits to keep him happy, those songs Mick Jagger takes credit for when Keith wasn't around, that he obviously couldn't write without Taylor, if he could have wrote like that on his own where is the proof since Taylor's departure or before he joined.
Songs like Sway, Winter, and Time Waits For No One, Can You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile, man he deserves a credit for Winter and Moonlight Mile if nothing else, all he got for all his inspiration was Ventilator Blues WTF.

Why should Taylor deserve more credit than Charlie Watts or Bill Wyman? And what should Nicky Hopkins say?

And in any case, as a matter of fact, the Stones made Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman multi-millionaires.

If you are a multi-millionaire, does it really matter if you have a million more or a million less?

C

PS: all members of the Rolling Stones were / are superb musicians!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-29 12:30 by liddas.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 29, 2021 12:38

The three tracks Mick Taylor says he co-wrote and was promised credit for:
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 29, 2021 13:55

terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

Well, that happen to be 3 fantastic, sensitive and straight out of the heart songs.

By the way, I saw him on his bike during the Easter weekend, enjoying his ride and the Dutch sunshine !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 29, 2021 14:34

rollingrichard
terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

Well, that happen to be 3 fantastic, sensitive and straight out of the heart songs.

MM is sublime but th two others have aged badly and reek of the 70's in their worst aspects.
Otoh FF still sounds fresh, tight, and mean.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 29, 2021 17:58

terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

He’s said a few different songs in different interviews over the years, and it’s not limited to what you’ve written.

Sway
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (Coda)
Moonlight Mile
Ventilator Blues
Hide Your Love
Time Waits For No One
Tops

Till the Next… I haven’t read he actually said he helped write that, just that he contributed to it. He never specifically mentioned it like the others.

Date: June 29, 2021 18:01

liddas
Rocktiludrop

Why should Taylor deserve more credit than Charlie Watts or Bill Wyman? And what should Nicky Hopkins say?

And in any case, as a matter of fact, the Stones made Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman multi-millionaires.

If you are a multi-millionaire, does it really matter if you have a million more or a million less?

C

Why should Taylor deserve more credit? Well, that’s easy. Because Mick Jagger specifically told him that he’d receive credit. When that didn’t happen, he left the band not too long after. It isn’t a big mystery.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 29, 2021 18:07

TravelinMan
liddas
Rocktiludrop

C

Why should Taylor deserve more credit? Well, that’s easy. Because Mick Jagger specifically told him that he’d receive credit. When that didn’t happen, he left the band not too long after. It isn’t a big mystery.

And how do you know?

C

Date: June 29, 2021 18:30

TravelinMan
terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

He’s said a few different songs in different interviews over the years, and it’s not limited to what you’ve written.

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Ventilator Blues
Hide Your Love
Time Waits For No One
Tops

Till the Next… I haven’t read he actually said he helped write that, just that he contributed to it. He never specifically mentioned it like the others.

The only song I've read he expected songwriting credits for is Till The Next Goodbye. So did Carly Simon, btw.

Date: June 29, 2021 19:45

liddas
TravelinMan
liddas
Rocktiludrop

C

And how do you know?

C

He has never really been all that explicit as far as specific titles go. He refers to the fact that KR was not present during the initial recording of certain songs, or that some songs would not have existed without him. He remains vague. He never has come out and said "Sway was written by MJ and I and I deserve credit". If anyone has any specific links to interviews I would be curious to see. On going debate that has been going on for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-29 19:50 by wavelength.

Date: June 29, 2021 19:54

If MickTaylor had dived into Jazz Rock and a bit more of a sober lifestyle, he would have forgotten about the Stones for 40 years already. He could have become another Jeff Beck, who isn't a "songwriter" in the traditional sense either.

Date: June 29, 2021 20:06

wavelength
liddas
TravelinMan
liddas
Rocktiludrop

C

And how do you know?

C

He has never really been all that explicit as far as specific titles go. He refers to the fact that KR was not present during the initial recording of certain songs, or that some songs would not have existed without him. He remains vague. He never has come out and said "Sway was written by MJ and I and I deserve credit". If anyone has any specific links to interviews I would be curious to see. On going debate that has been going on for years.

That’s not true. He has said that there are about five songs he should have received some credit for. He specifically mentioned five of the songs I listed. On another occasion it was a few others. Interviews are all over the web.

Date: June 29, 2021 20:07

liddas
TravelinMan
liddas
Rocktiludrop

C

And how do you know?

C

Because he said so in an interview before the album dropped.

Date: June 29, 2021 20:08

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Ventilator Blues
Hide Your Love
Time Waits For No One
Tops

The only song I've read he expected songwriting credits for is Till The Next Goodbye. So did Carly Simon, btw.

Where did you read that?

Date: June 29, 2021 20:24

TheflyingDutchman
If MickTaylor had dived into Jazz Rock and a bit more of a sober lifestyle, he would have forgotten about the Stones for 40 years already. He could have become another Jeff Beck, who isn't a "songwriter" in the traditional sense either.

I agree. Had he had a successful career after the Stones he would not be complaining about credits on a few songs 40 years after the fact. He fell prey to his addictions. His life and career could have taken a completely different course. He could have joined other high profile bands or formed one himself and had a career à la Joe Walsh. Though he did guest with Jack Bruce and Bob Dylan, I wonder why he did not do it with so many others in the upper echelons of rock. People like like David Bowie. I agree as well that his musical interests did not evolve that much. He did not really explore other guitar genres and stuck to blues.

Date: June 29, 2021 20:27

It’s funny because there was an interview with Keith in which he said Brian never wrote a song in his life.He wrote bits and pieces of songs but was too paronoid to present it to the band.Keith then said in the interview he and Mick we’re working with Taylor because, this is an exact quote, “Taylor has the makings of a great writer”.This interview was a couple of months before Taylor quit. Keith also said in the interview some people thought the Stones in 1964, were betterbecause they were screwing some chick in the back of a car with TEll ME on the radio

Date: June 29, 2021 21:08

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Ventilator Blues
Hide Your Love
Time Waits For No One
Tops

Where did you read that?

I believe the Taylor-quote was in Nick Kent's book (not that he's especially trustworthy).

The Carly Simon-quote has been discussed here before.

It's from the book REBEL, ROCK STAR, RAMBLER, ROGUE by Marc Spitz (on p. 191) the following quote by Carly Simon about Mick:

CARLY SIMON: "We wrote a song together that became a song on the Stones' next album called TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE. I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them>

Date: June 29, 2021 21:24

wavelength
TheflyingDutchman

I agree. Had he had a successful career after the Stones he would not be complaining about credits on a few songs 40 years after the fact. He fell prey to his addictions. His life and career could have taken a completely different course. He could have joined other high profile bands or formed one himself and had a career à la Joe Walsh. Though he did guest with Jack Bruce and Bob Dylan, I wonder why he did not do it with so many others in the upper echelons of rock. People like like David Bowie. I agree as well that his musical interests did not evolve that much. He did not really explore other guitar genres and stuck to blues.
. Taylor would have been great in one of Paul McCartneys bands

Date: June 29, 2021 23:25

DandelionPowderman

CARLY SIMON: "We wrote a song together that became a song on the Stones' next album called TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE. I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them>

Interesting. Thanks for pulling the quotes, adds substance to otherwise baseless claims such as those I make. There is an element of self-interest on Simon's part in claiming she co-wrote though it's impossible to substantiate. She increases her currency and book slaes if she can associate herself with MJ.

Did she wake up one morning after a night of hot romance to find Mick curled in her wicker couch and basking in a stream of sunlight, strumming away at a new song. After sleepily kissing him good morning she cuddles up and sings along, offering some suggestions. Looking at his watch he realizes it is almost noon and has to go. "Carly darling, thanks so much for the wonderful evening but my wife Bianca is waiting for me. She gets very angry and jealous if I am away too long. Til the next time we say good-bye." Smooch, smooch.

It's a little rich to make authorship claims decades after the fact. If you really think you are entitled you should make your claim during the fact.

Same for Taylor. If not getting a credit Midnight Mile was such an issue and he felt ripped off why would he go on to make 3 more albums with the band?

Yoko had the song Imagine co-credited to her 45 years after the fact despite getting 10's of millions of dollars from John Lennons estate. Talk about vanity publishing!

Clare Tory successfully sued EMI, Pink Floyd and Richard Wright in 2004, 36 years after the fact, for co-authorship of The Great Gig in the Sky (Dark Side of the Moon). Times must have tough for her when she did.

Date: June 29, 2021 23:50

wavelength
DandelionPowderman

Interesting. Thanks for pulling the quotes, adds substance to otherwise baseless claims such as those I make. There is an element of self-interest on Simon's part in claiming she co-wrote though it's impossible to substantiate. She increases her currency and book slaes if she can associate herself with MJ.

Did she wake up one morning after a night of hot romance to find Mick curled in her wicker couch and basking in a stream of sunlight, strumming away at a new song. After sleepily kissing him good morning she cuddles up and sings along, offering some suggestions. Looking at his watch he realizes it is almost noon and has to go. "Carly darling, thanks so much for the wonderful evening but my wife Bianca is waiting for me. She gets very angry and jealous if I am away too long. Til the next time we say good-bye." Smooch, smooch.

It's a little rich to make authorship claims decades after the fact. If you really think you are entitled you should make your claim during the fact.

Same for Taylor. If not getting a credit Midnight Mile was such an issue and he felt ripped off why would he go on to make 3 more albums with the band?

Yoko had the song Imagine co-credited to her 45 years after the fact despite getting 10's of millions of dollars from John Lennons estate. Talk about vanity publishing!

Clare Tory successfully sued EMI, Pink Floyd and Richard Wright in 2004, 36 years after the fact, for co-authorship of The Great Gig in the Sky (Dark Side of the Moon). Times must have tough for her when she did.

Maybe there were more 'mornings'? smiling smiley

"Preceding the above quote, Spitz writes about their writing TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE: "She and Mick worked on another song in the studio that night, fooling around at the piano between takes, and nearly came up with another duet".

Date: June 30, 2021 04:32

dcba
rollingrichard
terraplane
Moonlight Mile
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One

MM is sublime but th two others have aged badly and reek of the 70's in their worst aspects.
Otoh FF still sounds fresh, tight, and mean.

what do you mean by "reek of the 70's in their worst aspect" can you please describe the reek and explain what aspect of it smells the worst.

is there something universally wrong with music produced in the 70's ?

TTNG is a pretty straightforward ballad. TWFN kind of defies categorizatin, it is more of a lyrical song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-30 06:03 by wavelength.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2021 10:47

You know it's when rock'n roll started to lose its balls, and became too melodic too soft, too shallow. The kind of rock that prompted some people to (kick)start the punk movement.

TWFN belongs fully to that category, it's a good song but I much prefer FFile, and I think the latter aged much better than the former.

And - I've written it before - had Taylor stayed in the band, he would have certainly took over a declining Keef in the songwriting dpt... and the sequel to IORR (the album) would have been made of 4 or 5 super-long songs à la TWFN (yawn!).

And of course the 1978 SG album would have never existed in the form we know.

Date: June 30, 2021 11:34

wavelength
liddas
TravelinMan
liddas
Rocktiludrop

C

And how do you know?

C

It's just not Mick Taylor to be like that, the very reason he was taken advantage of in the first place is the reason he doesn't belly ache over being robbed of credits.. He's a brilliant guitarist not a brilliant businessman, that's clear when you look back at his life, i doubt he's ever had the money or inclination to take things to courts etc.
The difference between Taylor and Wyman for instance is that Taylor left the band over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-30 11:37 by Rocktiludrop.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...267268269270271272273274275276277...LastNext
Current Page: 272 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home