Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...266267268269270271272273274275276...LastNext
Current Page: 271 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 23, 2021 00:45

[www.youtube.com]

Terry Reid & Mick Taylor White Room 25.10.2016

from five years ago - 10-25-16 - Mick Taylor sure nails the long solo starting at
5.00 till end.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2021 00:53

Testify
24FPS
Testify
Mick Taylor is part of the history of the Stones, certainly an important story, but we fans should in my opinion be a little more realistic.
Taylor and Bill were invited as GUESTS to celebrate the Stones' anniversary on that 2013 tour.
There is a big difference between being in a band and just being a guest.
I have a high esteem for Taylor as well as for Bill, however it was immediately clear to how the Stones themselves behaved on that occasion, that there was no chance for them to join the band permanently.

No one expects them to return permanently, but is there really anything that prevents them from contributing to a track or two? How hard is that? And it would be most gratifying for the hard core fans. The last studio track with Wyman and the Stones was Watching the River Flow. It didn't have a cohesive sound because all five just phone their parts in.
In my opinion it is more likely to happen with other musicians, as has already happened with Clapton for example.
The reasons are easily imaginable, Taylor is part of the past, when he used himself as a guest in 2012, controversy was read every day about whether they should give him more space and this could change the internal balance of the band.
I think anyone who has played in a band understands what I'm talking about ... so no, I think it's highly unlikely that they will do it again.

Look what they did with Bill. No wonder he jumped off early. Put him on Honky Tonk Women and It's Only Rock and Roll. One song he didn't have a lot to do, and the other he wasn't on the studio version. They wouldn't put him on something he shined on like Miss You or Start Me Up.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:10

Bill was on stage as a guest, but he didn't actually play on the songs. On Miss You, that would have been quite obvious for the audience, so I guess he was okay with the songs. His appearance was only out of courtesy and he wouldn't travel to the states for just that.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:19

Nikkei
Bill was on stage as a guest, but he didn't actually play on the songs. On Miss You, that would have been quite obvious for the audience, so I guess he was okay with the songs. His appearance was only out of courtesy and he wouldn't travel to the states for just that.

Having just watched the excellent Peter Green tribute, it's very obvious that Bill still has chops (or at least he did when it was filmed). It was a joy to watch and hear.

Bill expressed disappointment with how he was treated when asked back for the 50th.

“The nice thing was that my kids saw me on stage with the Stones,” he said. “They’d asked me the December before, and I had to jam with them for three days. I was under the impression I was going to get really involved, but when it came to it, they only wanted me to do two songs, which was very disappointing.”

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:21

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Terry Reid & Mick Taylor White Room 25.10.2016

from five years ago - 10-25-16 - Mick Taylor sure nails the long solo starting at
5.00 till end.

Thanks for that, hadn't seen it before, he sounded incredible and looked really good too, if he can play that better than Clapton he can play Stones songs, it's not rocket science.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:30

Taylor was always a better guitarist than Clapton.At his peak in 1973, he would have blown Clapton off the stage.Clapton is the most overrated guitarist in rock history

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:41

Taylor1
Taylor was always a better guitarist than Clapton.At his peak in 1973, he would have blown Clapton off the stage.Clapton is the most overrated guitarist in rock history

Clapton would probably agree with you. I've seen interviews where he's said "I see better guitarists than me playing in clubs and bars all the time."

Would be great if Taylor wrote a book. Imagine the chops it took to take over for Brian with the Rolling Stones at that age, and play to 400,000 people on your first gig.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:53

Taylor1

I agree in 73' Taylor was in a world of his own the way he played and the Stones never come close to Sticky Fingers without him.

Love Taylor, love Clapton, i can show solos from Clapton that take you to the heavens, it's not a dick waving contest, it's playing from the heart and channelling genius and the world is a better place for both of them, remember Clapton sings great and writes too, he had it all before he got old.

Date: June 23, 2021 10:52

Taylor1

Always is a strong word...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 23, 2021 14:48

24FPS
Testify
24FPS
Testify
Mick Taylor is part of the history of the Stones, certainly an important story, but we fans should in my opinion be a little more realistic.
Taylor and Bill were invited as GUESTS to celebrate the Stones' anniversary on that 2013 tour.
There is a big difference between being in a band and just being a guest.
I have a high esteem for Taylor as well as for Bill, however it was immediately clear to how the Stones themselves behaved on that occasion, that there was no chance for them to join the band permanently.

No one expects them to return permanently, but is there really anything that prevents them from contributing to a track or two? How hard is that? And it would be most gratifying for the hard core fans. The last studio track with Wyman and the Stones was Watching the River Flow. It didn't have a cohesive sound because all five just phone their parts in.
In my opinion it is more likely to happen with other musicians, as has already happened with Clapton for example.
The reasons are easily imaginable, Taylor is part of the past, when he used himself as a guest in 2012, controversy was read every day about whether they should give him more space and this could change the internal balance of the band.
I think anyone who has played in a band understands what I'm talking about ... so no, I think it's highly unlikely that they will do it again.

Look what they did with Bill. No wonder he jumped off early. Put him on Honky Tonk Women and It's Only Rock and Roll. One song he didn't have a lot to do, and the other he wasn't on the studio version. They wouldn't put him on something he shined on like Miss You or Start Me Up.
What is not clear for many fans is very clear for the Stones.
Here we all know them, we have read books etc. and I am amazed that we still don't understand how the Stones work.
If the Stones still exist it is thanks to this way of "protecting" each other, like a real band. Mick will never ask Darryl Jones or anyone else in the band to give up a solo of him, Miss You has become Darryl moment and it won't be sold to anyone, not even an ex.
Bill has never been a solo bassist, he has never done it, indeed when there was some virtuoso work to do, he would hand over his bass to Keith or Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 14:49 by Testify.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 23, 2021 14:57

Listened to the bootleg instrumental Aladdin Story and it sounds like Mick Taylor on bass. There are a lot of runs and fills going on.

It seems odd because I thought it was recorded at Olympic during the Sticky Fingers sessions, but perhaps it was an overdub during Exile. That seems more likely.

Date: June 23, 2021 15:07

TravelinMan
Listened to the bootleg instrumental Aladdin Story and it sounds like Mick Taylor on bass. There are a lot of runs and fills going on.

It seems odd because I thought it was recorded at Olympic during the Sticky Fingers sessions, but perhaps it was an overdub during Exile. That seems more likely.

Could be Taylor, could be Keith. However, it's definitely a guitarist playing smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2021 18:39

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Could be Taylor, could be Keith. However, it's definitely a guitarist playing smiling smiley

I agree. I’m wondering when the bootleg was first leaked. Jimmy Miller said he brought out 30 older songs or so for the band to listen to and work on during Exile. They probably worked on it a bit with overdubs and then just let it fall to the side.

Date: June 23, 2021 23:33

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor takes the song and again puts his touch on Peter's song. The note he hits a 4.41

Date: June 23, 2021 23:45

[www.youtube.com]

Andy Sharrocks With Mick Taylor

Mick still nails the YCAGWYW solo at 6.15 probably the few times or only time he played the solo live after leaving the stones. Very fluid lines.

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: June 24, 2021 13:59

24FPS

It shows the duplicitous and petty ways of MJ. MT got a version of the same treatment.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 24, 2021 16:22

Taylor1

this is what I call fanaticism

Date: June 25, 2021 16:22

wavelength
24FPS

It shows the duplicitous and petty ways of MJ. MT got a version of the same treatment.
Mick J. might say it's more duplicitous to walk away overnight leaving the band in shit.

Date: June 25, 2021 19:57

Testify
wavelength
24FPS

Mick J. might say it's more duplicitous to walk away overnight leaving the band in shit.

Nah, they obviously didn’t need him because he didn’t contribute to the songwriting——in their opinion. So how did that leave them in shit? According to Keef, he wasn’t any good in the studio. Which of course is Complete BS.

So no I don’t feel bad for the poor Stones. Had they given him more credit and recorded a few of his tunes he might still be in the band.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 25, 2021 20:37

Taylor1

Come on, Taylor1. I never liked "this band is better than that band". Different, yes.
Same with guitarists like Mick Taylor, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mark Knopfer, Brian May, Jimmy Page, etc., etc.,
They all had/have great contributions to great songs. Their styles of playing is simply different. Put them (great solo's) next to eachother and you find that each of them is great in its own way, in all honesty, you can't compare them with eachother.
I would never add Keith to the above list of guitarists, but just listen to Sympathy FTD ... Keith's sharp edged licks are brilliant. And how about his contribution to "Gimme Shelter"? Wow!
Mick Taylor is, and will be remembered as the guitarist who lifted the "new" Rolling Stones to great highs with his unique way of playing, but the Stones were already there when he joined. I doubt if he would ever have reached the fame that he got without the Stones. I saw Taylor solo half a dozen times and thoroughly enjoyed his playing, but with a realistic mind. As an old diehard I am glad he was there at the right time. But life goes on and I would feel a bit lonely with the Stones without Ronnie. He is unique in his own way.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 25, 2021 21:05

Jan Akkerman's comment on Clapton's playing made sense in a way. I would love to hear Taylor's take on this comment. He must have seen this since he has a Dutch GF who's quite aware of Akkerman's playing. In Dutch:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-25 21:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 25, 2021 22:10

Testify
wavelength
24FPS

So why treat Bill that way? He let them know years ahead of time he was leaving. Was it their petty way of getting back at him for being happy?

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: June 26, 2021 00:49

24FPS
Testify
wavelength
24FPS

So why treat Bill that way? He let them know years ahead of time he was leaving. Was it their petty way of getting back at him for being happy?

Notwithstanding that both MT and BW left the band there is a pattern. Clearly MJ felt obliged to invite them but it was not done in a spirit of generosity. Invite them for the appearances but then go off on some power trip and curtail their participation out of insecurity and vindictiveness. Same with MT's Exhibitionism invitation. Invite him the day before the opening thus ensuring he can't be present. "Of course we invited him...". I don't have the whole picture but I find it mean spirited.

Date: June 26, 2021 02:19

24FPS
Testify
wavelength
24FPS

It was ironic ... which was more about Taylor than Bill.
In the case of the 50th anniversary, the band asked the exes if they wanted to join on stage as guests.
Let's be honest ... when did you hear Bill Wyman's bass solo? To me it never seems to have been his specialty, so the songs chosen were IORR and HTW, what's wrong with these songs?
To Mick Taylor who is instead a guitar soloist, they made him play in MR (mainly), precisely because he is a soloist.
It seemed like a logical choice to me, every time the Stones did a song with a virtuoso bass, it was played by others!
Nothing wrong with that ... but it denotes that Bill is not a bassist who particularly loves solos. Would the same thing have happened if it were Charlie, when you listened to Charlie's drum solo?
So what is there to complain about? Surely Mick J. only made a logical argument.
I suspect that his is just envy for those who are there today to replace him and the sentence said by Bill testifies to it.
We do not know the whole story, but only what Bill told ... in my life I understood that there are two versions of all stories.

Date: June 26, 2021 10:43

Bill played on Miss You, though. That's your example.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: June 26, 2021 16:46

Although obviously not a full Stones album, Bill has a great bass solo on Jamming with Edward. Charlie has a drum solo on the same album as well.

Date: June 26, 2021 17:42

DandelionPowderman
Of course he is credited with the bass, personally I find it a style far from his, but when I read that the bass was originally played by Billy Preston, I got a clear idea of the matter.
But beyond that, Bill has never done solos on Miss You, so I think Mick J. thought it was for him to play M.Y. or HTW or IORR would have made no difference. It was an evening to celebrate the 50th anniversary, not an evening to prove something ...

Date: June 26, 2021 20:37

Testify
DandelionPowderman
Of course he is credited with the bass, personally I find it a style far from his, but when I read that the bass was originally played by Billy Preston, I got a clear idea of the matter.
But beyond that, Bill has never done solos on Miss You, so I think Mick J. thought it was for him to play M.Y. or HTW or IORR would have made no difference. It was an evening to celebrate the 50th anniversary, not an evening to prove something ...

Yes, but they put Taylor on Midnight Rambler to highlight him. Of course Bill never had a bass solo. That would have been silly to do in the Stones. But he did excel on Miss You. He is the most important instrument on Harlem Shuffle. Charlie never did a drum solo, either, but he is certainly very important on certain numbers.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 27, 2021 01:47

Miss You - Naples ‘82 - Bass solo by Bill Wyman

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 27, 2021 03:47

24FPS
Testify
DandelionPowderman

Yes, but they put Taylor on Midnight Rambler to highlight him. Of course Bill never had a bass solo. That would have been silly to do in the Stones. But he did excel on Miss You. He is the most important instrument on Harlem Shuffle. Charlie never did a drum solo, either, but he is certainly very important on certain numbers.
I don’t know how much Taylor was highlighted on Midnight Ramber.Yes, he was given the opportunity for a nice first solo, but Wood took the end solo, Jagger hogged a lot of the song with his harp. During the breakdown it’s mostly silly call and respond yells by Jagger and the audience with very little guitar work from Taylor.His best moment was on Can’t You Hear Knocking at Glastonbury

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-27 04:10 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...266267268269270271272273274275276...LastNext
Current Page: 271 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home