Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...263264265266267268269270271272273...LastNext
Current Page: 268 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2021 00:55

Much ado about nothing really - as Mick clearly stated regarding the reason for Taylor's departure: "I still don’t really know".

Date: March 13, 2021 01:09

I even wonder if Taylor himself actually knows it. He walked home after a gig with Keith who asked Taylor in'86 : "Why the @#$%& did you do that"? (leaving). Taylor: "If I could answer that one Keith".

Date: March 13, 2021 01:12

One of life's greatest mysteries....

Date: March 13, 2021 01:16

"Get over it" - Mick Taylor -2011.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 13, 2021 06:40

I absolutely don’t think Richards and his behavior were the catalyst for Taylor’s departure. But for people to act like Richards wasn’t “possibly” hard to get along with is absolutely absurd.

Date: March 13, 2021 20:29

In the past, Mick Jagger has said that Keith has been difficult to work with, even to the point of vetoing some of Mick's song ideas just for the sake of it.
Imagine all the possible masterpieces the Stones could have released had Keith been more ready and willing and open to new ideas from Mick!
Then again, many of those unused ideas were probably devoted to Micks solo albums and/or singles (see Getta Grip), so maybe Keith had good reason to be difficult.
Not sure what type of problems there were between Keith and Mick Taylor (if any), but surely there could have been some minor ego clashes and/or various musical disagreements involved.
Was that friction alone enough to make Mick Taylor quit the band, or as the Ultimate Classic Rock writer put it "a prime motivator" for Taylor leaving the band? Highly doubtful.

Date: March 13, 2021 21:20

One of the main issues between Keith and Taylor was that Keith didn't think that much of Taylor playing in the studio."You're no good in the studio", or "you're too @#$%& loud". We only have to look at the Montreux-rehearsals when Taylor played some up the neck chords while Keith just sticked to his basic riffs. I wonder what Jagger was thinking. He was clapping his hands and watching Taylor when he played it. A complete mistmatch at that point and a perfect example of the musical miscommunication between Richards and Taylor in the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 21:26 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 13, 2021 21:36

Band member disagreements aside, seems the results of the much of the studio work that involved both Taylor and Keith is evidence they were a perfect match together.
And then there's all the live performances. There's reasons why the band was at it's zenith during this period, and seems all the greatness heavily outweighed any bad vibes between Keith and Taylor.
Hard to think otherwise as the harmony and teamwork between the two is clearly heard on most if not all live recordings. To think they were near enemies filled with hatred sounds ludicrous.

Date: March 13, 2021 21:45

I only wanted to point out a musical example were it went "wrong". I doubt they ever recorded together at the same time in the studio. To Richards Taylor was a melodic player, he never complimented him for his other musical efforts. Apart from that I think Taylor and Richards were one of the best guitar duos in rock history,on stage in particular. There are however no pictures where Taylor and Richards looked or laughed at each other. Maybe one or two. There was hardly any eye-contact on stage. Only by ear. Compare this to Richards and Wood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 21:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 13, 2021 21:53

: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: March 13, 2021 21:45

I only wanted to point out a musical example were it went "wrong". I doubt they ever recorded together at the same time in the studio. Apart from that I think Taylor and Richards were one of the best guitar duos in rock history,on stage in particular. There are however no pictures where Taylor and Richards looked or laughed at each other. Maybe one or two. There was hardly any eye-contact on stage. Only by ear. Compare this to Richards and Wood.

I have seen one but I do not have time to go through YT videos - Keith was in front of Taylor and they were both happy not the 50th tour - in 72/73 .

Date: March 13, 2021 22:00

The best musicians don't really need eye contact or laughing and looking at each other while performing on stage, especially when focusing on the task at hand while creating great music.
I don't recall Miles Davis for example laughing and clowning around with any of his fellow musicians - on the contrary he was dead serious with the focus on his music.
Let the music do the talking, and the results will speak for themselves, and thats why the Stones during the Taylor years were at their very best.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2021 22:00

Hairball
In the past, Mick Jagger has said that Keith has been difficult to work with, even to the point of vetoing some of Mick's song ideas just for the sake of it.
Imagine all the possible masterpieces the Stones could have released had Keith been more ready and willing and open to new ideas from Mick!

But Keef said that Mick is a sponge and a brand new song idea might in fact be a copy of a tune he heard on the radio the week before.
"Anybody..." from 1997 comes to mind.

Mick and Keef are like the Young Brothers : one brings the quantity (Angus or Mick J.) one brings the quality (Keef of Malcolm).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 22:01 by dcba.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:03

OpenG

I have seen one but I do not have time to go through YT videos - Keith was in front of Taylor and they were both happy not the 50th tour - in 72/73 .

Yup, there is a a greyscale picture, you can see Keith see smiling at Taylor's guitar neck from behind. Must have been '73. Taylor very likely didn't even notice it. grinning smiley The recent performances to me don't count.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:06

dcba
Hairball

But Keef said that Mick is a sponge and a brand new song idea might in fact be a copy of a tune he heard on the radio the week before.
"Anybody..." from 1997 comes to mind.

As I said in my original unedited post, maybe Keith had good reason to be difficult. He might have sincerely disliked the ideas Mick presented,
or to your point he might have got tired of hearing recycled ideas that Mick "the sponge" had heard on the radio.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:09

Hairball
The best musicians don't really need eye contact or laughing and looking at each other while performing on stage, especially when focusing on the task at hand while creating great music.
I don't recall Miles Davis for example laughing and clowning around with any of his fellow musicians - on the contrary he was dead serious with the focus on his music.
Let the music do the talking, and the results will speak for themselves, and thats why the Stones during the Taylor years were at their very best.

In case of Taylor and Richards it likely came from a different angle, that's my intuition . . Miles Davis had a big ego, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucia looked at each other like lovers on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 22:12 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:20

Lots of speculation and intuition going on here, and it makes you wonder why Keith had Mick Taylor guest on his solo album if they truly disliked each other.
Not to mention how much Keith enjoyed Taylor being involved in the 50 and Counting tour, even to the point of pondering how far they could have taken it as a three guitar band had Taylor continued on with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 22:22 by Hairball.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:27

I agree with you that the Taylor years were the best,(matter of taste).
Taylors contribution on "I could have stood you up" and his playing with the Stones in 2014 etc is not very much the Mick Taylor like he played back in the days. Imo he even completely lost it.I don't know what Keith thought about it, he never would say it in public. I start to repeat myself. I'm sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 22:30 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:40

No matter what the results sounded like to you, the fact is they played together again on Keith's solo album as well as the entire 50 and Counting tour.
Keith seemed to enjoy it all given the fact he said in a public interview it might have been interesting to see how much further they could have taken it, but for whatever reason it was not meant to be.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:50

Hairball

Keith seemed to enjoy it all given the fact he said in a public interview it might have been interesting to see how much further they could have taken it, but for whatever reason it was not meant to be.

I'm not going to repeat myself on that subject either. Maybe some other poster here has the guts.

Date: March 13, 2021 22:56

Not sure if you bought the Talk is Cheap Deluxe, but aside from "I Could Have Stood You Up", there's several other previously unreleased tracks that feature Mick Taylor.
Sounds like they were having a grand old time throughout the sessions, and it was great to see them all officially released. Maybe not up to your standards, but that's besides the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 22:58 by Hairball.

Date: March 13, 2021 23:13

Hairball
Not sure if you bought the Talk is Cheap Deluxe, but aside from "I Could Have Stood You Up", there's several other previously unreleased tracks that feature Mick Taylor.
Sounds like they were having a grand old time throughout the sessions, and it was great to see them all officially released. Maybe not up to your standards, but that's besides the point.

I would never make a fool out of me and try to play like Taylor. Always grow your own.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 13, 2021 23:14

Taylor played great on the Glastonbury Can’t You Hear Me knocking.He also had some good Midnight Ramblers.It would have been interesting to see him play a whole set for say 10 shows in a row.Yeah in someways he wasn’t as good as1973 but neither is Keith.And Keith ‘s playing on the Taylor performances in 2013-2014 effected the whole band.It’s ridiculous to say Taylor doesn’t play like 1973.Does Keith?No one in their 70s will be as good as in their 30s.I just enjoyed those 2013- 2014 shows

Date: March 14, 2021 00:49

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

I would never make a fool out of me and try to play like Taylor. Always grow your own.

The point was, there was camaraderie and chemistry between them during those sessions, just as there was during the 50 and Counting tour. As Keith had stated in an interview,
he would have liked to see how much further they could have taken it. The reasons why that never happened is another story, but the fact is Keith had to have enjoyed it to say such positive things.
If he didn't like it, no doubt he would have made that clear by saying something like "it was a shitty experience, didn't work, and will never happen again", but he basically said the complete opposite.

Meanwhile, millions of fans were in heaven while Taylor temporarily rejoined the live shows during the 50 and Counting tour, and while a small few thought differently, many including myself were clamoring for more.
Fortunately at one of the six shows I saw that tour (Staples #2), he played on four tunes instead of the standard three including Sway, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house when he let it loose.
He was as good (if not better) during that tour as he was when I saw him during the Bluesbreakers reunion tour at the Roxy in L.A. in '82, and based on all of the live recordings I've heard of the Stones golden era,
he really hadn't lost much at all unlike a guitar player like Keith who had clearly lost some of his punch. Taylor was back in a very big way to the delight of millions of fans across the land - wish he would have played more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 00:50 by Hairball.

Date: March 14, 2021 01:19

That's all great to read Hairball. Merry Xmas. thumbs up

Date: March 14, 2021 02:02

His solo on the Can’t You Hear Me Knocking Glastonbury was as good as any he did when he was with the Stones.Charlie was smiling throughout as was Keith when Taylor does that great run towards the end of his solo.Jagger says at the end”@#$%& great”.Some of the Midnight Ramblers aren’t to the level of Brussels, but Keith isn’t propelling the song performances the same as he did in 1973.Still they are really good.Ronnie and Taylor really are excellent on some of them like the one from Newark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 02:03 by Taylor1.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 14, 2021 03:06

TheflyingDutchman
I only wanted to point out a musical example were it went "wrong". I doubt they ever recorded together at the same time in the studio. To Richards Taylor was a melodic player, he never complimented him for his other musical efforts. Apart from that I think Taylor and Richards were one of the best guitar duos in rock history,on stage in particular. There are however no pictures where Taylor and Richards looked or laughed at each other. Maybe one or two. There was hardly any eye-contact on stage. Only by ear. Compare this to Richards and Wood.

They recorded all the time together in the studio. This was an era where bands recorded the basic tracks together.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2021 03:18

KeithNacho
I want to be your friend and colleage ....

Okay Natcho friend but i do me best i work alone ... hhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2021 12:40

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman

They recorded all the time together in the studio. This was an era where bands recorded the basic tracks together.
. Why do they need to look at each other on stage? Maybe they were looking at their guitars to concentrate on playing great .What about the Its Only Rock nRoll video where they dressed up as sailors.weren’t they smiling. To me it looks like Keith’s persona pre 1975 was he hardly ever smiled between 1967 -1974.Look at him at the Rock n Roll Circus.He never smiles.Look at him at the press conferences for the Australia 1973 tour.He never laughs or even smiles .In those years the Stones had that whole bad boy satanic stuff going.It wasn’t till really the last 25 years where he is always smiling and laughing on stage and in interviews.

Date: March 14, 2021 13:17

This subject is pulled completely out of context grinning smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 16, 2021 10:44

Get Mick T into the studio with the boys once this pandemic has blown over.Do some acoustic stuff.Ronnie can colour in his set lists whilst Mick T is shinning his brilliance.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...263264265266267268269270271272273...LastNext
Current Page: 268 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home