Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...262263264265266267268269270271272...LastNext
Current Page: 267 of 307
Re: Rolling Stones Rehearsals with Mick Taylor
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2021 07:01

No its Charlie when he
visited the set of A Clockwork Orange ....

ROCKMAN

Re: Rolling Stones Rehearsals with Mick Taylor
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 3, 2021 12:20

Rockman, you are the best
I want to be your friend and colleage

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: March 7, 2021 20:23

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 10, 2021 18:20

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor Q107 Radio interview 1987 December 16 - Toronto

Nice acoustic version on radio of Blind Willie -

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 11, 2021 13:10

[www.mojo4music.com]

Glyn Johns talking about Taylor.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 11, 2021 14:36

“He turned from from being a quiet, softly spoken, charming young man into a raving egomaniac junkie”.

It's been discussed before (the interview is from 2015) but as an outsider honest witness (he never did drugs) GJ may offer a key to understand MT's - rather hard to understand - behaviour in 74.

My take is he had a quite opinion of himself and thefore he thought it was time to move on = the Stones had nothing left to offer him in terms of career evolution. The blues-based rock formula was going stale (acc. to MT) and the new thing was this more musically complex "prog" he was going to play with Jack Bruce.

Another more cynical possibility is MT thought that year 1974 that the band was finished : Keef was going to die from an OD, Mick J was going to go solo and it was time to leave the Titanic before it sank for good.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 11, 2021 15:29

I’d be pissed too if I were a full member of a band and my creativity was stifled at every turn.

He wasn’t a founding member, he was much younger, and ultimately he wanted to play more challenging music at the time.

He should have just made solo albums while he was in the band, but there was an obvious disconnection between he and Jagger after It’ Only Rock N Roll. So why bother stick around? The disconnection with Richards seemed to happen years prior. I really don’t think he was treated very well (various sources confirm this), nothing like the way he was treated in the Bluesbreakers.

Date: March 11, 2021 16:20

TravelinMan
He should have just made solo albums while he was in the band, but there was an obvious disconnection between he and Jagger after It’ Only Rock N Roll.

Imo after the sublime "Moonlight Mile" MT probably dreamt of a creative parternship between he and Jagger (shadowing Keef) but at that time nothing could get between the Twins.

TravelinMan
The disconnection with Richards seemed to happen years prior.
Maybe Keef didn't react well with a true virtuoo in the band and he felt threatened... But he also felt HE was core the band's sound and Taylor should only bring embellishments to MJ/KR tunes, not whole songs by himself.

Date: March 11, 2021 16:55

Keith still doesn't know why Taylor left the band . Jagger still guessing, as does Taylor himself.

Date: March 11, 2021 17:04

<The disconnection with Richards>

There is no evidence whatsoever pointing in a direction of a sour relationship with Keith being a reason for leaving.

This has grown into being one of the "anti-vax theories" of rock'n'roll smiling smiley

Remember Taylor's words (paraphrasing):

"This couldn't be further from the truth. I get upset when people write stuff like that, as I intend to work with these guys again" (which he did).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-11 17:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 11, 2021 18:23

DandelionPowderman

There is no evidence whatsoever pointing in a direction of a sour relationship with Keith being a reason for leaving.

This has grown into being one of the "anti-vax theories" of rock'n'roll smiling smiley

"This couldn't be further from the truth. I get upset when people write stuff like that, as I intend to work with these guys again" (which he did).

I didn’t say that’s why he left, I said there was a disconnection there. Which there is evidence of coming from Jagger himself, and Andy Johns, and Jimmy Miller, and others.

I think the disconnection with Jagger that occurred post-IORR had an impact on Taylor. You can tell by his disappointment in the Nick Kent article when the album was coming out.

I don’t believe there was one single event. I think it was inevitable considering all the factors I mentioned in my previous post.

Date: March 11, 2021 18:35

DandelionPowderman

Jagger once said that "Taylor found it difficult to get along with Keith" was likely one of the reasons that Taylor left the Stones.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 11, 2021 18:36

If true - Keith coming in late at night for IORR sessions and erasing Taylor parts, you can call that what you want but clearly there some resentment etc.

Date: March 11, 2021 19:00

OpenG
If true - Keith coming in late at night for IORR sessions and erasing Taylor parts, you can call that what you want but clearly there some resentment etc.

But erasing parts is a producer's job, and Keith was the producer smiling smiley

Date: March 11, 2021 19:01

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Jagger once said that "Taylor found it difficult to get along with Keith" was likely one of the reasons that Taylor left the Stones.

Do you have a link to where he says Taylor was leaving because of that?

Date: March 11, 2021 19:42

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Ask and ye shall receive: www.rollingstone.com/feature/mick-jagger-remembers-92946/amp/

Date: March 11, 2021 21:41

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

No I don't have that article Bård, but I'm 100% sure he said /I read that at some point. I think you can even google it.

Voila: Jagger told Rolling Stone he thought friction between Taylor and Richards was a prime motivator: "He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith."

Read More: The Day Mick Taylor Quit the Rolling Stones | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-11 22:41 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 11, 2021 23:12

It was a terrible move by Taylor.He could of done side projects and solo recordings and still remained in the band.And given his unfortunate substance abuse after he left the band,I doubt the proliferation ofdrugs around the Stones was the reason.He was young and maybe got mad about writing credits so he split.He was pretty arrogant about his guitar talents with good reason,so maybe he just reacted without thinking.There is a story that he would have rejoined the band if asked as soon as the summer of1975.But it’s obvious the Glimmer Twins were not desperate to bring him back.Otherwise they would have held his spot open for more than a few months in 1975 , or asked him if he wanted to rejoin in July 1975 when the Jack Bruce ,Carla Bley band ended.Unlike when Wyman left and did notreplace him for 3 years, and held his spot open

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 12, 2021 01:08

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

No I don't have that article Bård, but I'm 100% sure he said /I read that at some point. I think you can even google it.

Voila: Jagger told Rolling Stone he thought friction between Taylor and Richards was a prime motivator: "He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith."

Read More: The Day Mick Taylor Quit the Rolling Stones | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

From the actual Rolling Stone interview posted above by TravelinMan, appears Jagger was simply speculating without any absolute or definitive answers, and was just giving his impression of the situation:

Why did Mick Taylor leave?
I still don’t really know.

He never explained?
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.

On musical issues?
Everything. I’m guessing.

--------------------------------

Here's a proper link, and it's quite a nice, lengthy interview: Mick Jagger, 1995

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 01:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 01:20

The period of time from whenTaylor left the band until they chose Wood as his permanent replacement was only months not years.Much shorter time per than when Mick may have left the band in the late 80s.If Mick and Keith really wanted him back they could have asked him if he wanted to rejoin in July1975 when the Jack Bruce project ended.If he said unequivocally then he still wanted out,then yeah that would show Mick and Keith wanted him back but he did not want back in.But they never did that.

Date: March 12, 2021 08:56

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

From the actual Rolling Stone interview posted above by TravelinMan, appears Jagger was simply speculating without any absolute or definitive answers, and was just giving his impression of the situation:

He never explained?
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.

On musical issues?

Here's a proper link, and it's quite a nice, lengthy interview: Mick Jagger, 1995

What is proper? They adjust their opinions over the years. Besides there is not very much importance of the subject in hindsight .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 12, 2021 10:32

TheflyingDutchman

What is proper? They adjust their opinions over the years. Besides there is not very much importance of the subject in hindsight .

Words of wisdom!

C

Date: March 12, 2021 14:57

Taylor1
It was a terrible move by Taylor.
And given his unfortunate substance abuse after he left the band, I doubt the proliferation of drugs around the Stones was the reason. He was young and maybe got mad about writing credits so he split.
He was pretty arrogant about his guitar talents with good reason,so maybe he just reacted without thinking. There is a story that he would have rejoined the band if asked as soon as the summer of 1975.

What I'v heard is he asked to come back before the 1975 TOTA. My guess is Jagger would have said "yes" but Keef was already having so much fun with Ron that the door remained closed.
And quitting the Stones because of the drug atmosphere to join Jack Bruce who was a full-blown heroin addict, well...

It may sound strange today but in the 70's a cocaine addiction was not something to be cured through rehab it was like being part of an secret elite club. And remember the general consensus was it was a great creativity booster and it was not addictive! (sic).
This very belief almost killed Marty Scorcese who was a huge cokehead...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 15:10 by dcba.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:02

Talking about "varying stories", does anyone else remember reading/hearing Taylor saying circa 2012/2013 that what he didn't realize when he left is that the Stones were his friends and that he should have stuck with his friends ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 12, 2021 22:15

Haven't heard the the story about the Stones as his friends, but I guess there are many aspects to the story about why he quit. Anyhow, the reason I post is because I'm curious about why some artists are so badly represented on streaming services like Spotify? I search for Mick Taylor and only his first solo record is available. Why? I miss both "Stranger In This Town" and "A Stones Throw". Also there are som really great shows from both the 80's and the 90's on YouTube. Why haven't he released more live shows..? Your'e welcome to discussthumbs up

Date: March 12, 2021 22:37

He had a couple of shows on Spotify earlier, but they were taken down for some reason.

Date: March 12, 2021 23:18

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He never explained?

On musical issues?

I was only referring to the link itself being proper as in a properly working link that you only have to click on vs. what TravelinMan had posted which was the entire page address which needed to be copied and pasted.
That said, the original 1995 Rolling Stone interview puts the quote in proper perspective and not taken out of context and reinterpreted by a writer from Ultimate Classic Rock in 2015 to make it sound more sinister.

Date: March 12, 2021 23:50

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He never explained?

On musical issues?

I was only referring to the link itself being proper as in a properly working link that you only have to click on vs. what TravelinMan had posted which was the entire page address which needed to be copied and pasted.
That said, the original 1995 Rolling Stone interview puts the quote in proper perspective and not taken out of context and reinterpreted by a writer from Ultimate Classic Rock in 2015 to make it sound more sinister.

Weird. I can click on the link I posted just fine.

Date: March 13, 2021 00:12

Hmm...yeah, that is weird TravelinMan. All I see is www.rollingstone.com/feature/mick-jagger-remembers-92946/amp/ which I then have to copy and paste...
Maybe because I'm using a laptop? I don't know, but thanks for the link anyways...it was a nice lengthy interview that covers alot of ground. thumbs up

Date: March 13, 2021 00:48

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He never explained?

On musical issues?

I was reacting on Bård's request and provided a link for him were Jagger made statements about Taylor's relationship with Keith and Taylor's departure as a consequence. That's all. "The Ultimate Classic Rock" link in 2015 and your link are providing the same information more or less, nothing taken out of context, just quotes. Besides Taylor has made statements earlier on several times including "substance abuse, wanting more musical challenge, being bored to tears and wanting to protect his family". He never talked about his relationship with Keith specifically apart from saying :"We used to argue and fight all the time";very likely Keith-included. This Taylor talk goes wayback to the early 8-tees or even late 7-tees already.Conclusion: Both our links were yesterday's papers even before they got published and like I wrote in an earlier post: a futility in hindsight.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...262263264265266267268269270271272...LastNext
Current Page: 267 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home