Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...248249250251252253254255256257258...LastNext
Current Page: 253 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: October 13, 2019 17:57

Did I not read that he was on $100,000 per show from 2012 - 2014 for just three of four songs....this was his retirement fund ....if he did 50 shows thats a cool 5 million ...................and then he retired.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 13, 2019 18:16

: Mathijs ()
Date: October 13, 2019 11:53

DandelionPowderman
kowalski
I was reading this 10 years old article and was wondering if Mick Taylor and the Stones camp got around some agreement about his royalties from the 5 albums he worked on.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Some say he accepted a lump sum of money in 81/82 when they changed record company, and some say he didn't get anything. Hard to tell what really happened...

Correct. There were two main financial agreements, one in 1975 when he received his share of the Stones trust fund, and in 1981 when they changed record company. Further to this Taylor sold all his mechanical rights back to Promopub. His manager/girl friend keeps screaming that the Stones stole millions of royalties, which is utter bollocks. He recieved all the money he's owed, and spend it all.

Mathijs

How do you know he spent all his money he could of invested some or saved for a
rainy day - These comments about MT's private life are at times always negative and we should just focus on the music, that's what matters yes he is retired, his vibrato will always capture new fans of his musical career.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 14, 2019 00:46

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
kowalski
I was reading this 10 years old article and was wondering if Mick Taylor and the Stones camp got around some agreement about his royalties from the 5 albums he worked on.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Some say he accepted a lump sum of money in 81/82 when they changed record company, and some say he didn't get anything. Hard to tell what really happened...

Correct. There were two main financial agreements, one in 1975 when he received his share of the Stones trust fund, and in 1981 when they changed record company. Further to this Taylor sold all his mechanical rights back to Promopub. His manager/girl friend keeps screaming that the Stones stole millions of royalties, which is utter bollocks. He recieved all the money he's owed, and spend it all.

Mathijs

Thanks for the infos. Never trust the Dailymail.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 14, 2019 00:48

mtaylor
Article in Guardian 10 years ago as well - Wed 16 Sep 2009

[www.theguardian.com]

Guitarist Mick Taylor still a fan of the Rolling Stones. Taylor's manager has denied reports that the musician was planning to sue his former bandmates for unpaid royalties, claiming he has a very good relationship with the Stones

Mick Taylor is rich, happy and loves the Rolling Stones. The manager for the Stones' former guitarist has denied reports Taylor is down on his luck and wants to sue his old band, insisting they have "a very good relationship".

According to manager Jeff Allen, Taylor felt "shock, horror and disbelief" reading a recent article in the Mail on Sunday. The piece depicted Taylor as full of regrets and vitriol, living in a "ramshackle cottage" in Suffolk. Despite playing on albums such as Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St, Taylor had allegedly been denied royalties since 1982. "Hiring a lawyer is probably the only way they'll take me seriously," he was quoted as saying.

But that's simply not true, Allen told the NME yesterday. "He certainly didn't say that he was going to sue the Stones," Allen said. "He doesn't feel any need to sue ... Mick's got a very good relationship with the Stones."

"In fact, the last time we met up with them, him and Keith [Richards] were like long-lost lovers – hugging each other and happy to see each other. When Mick was ill either six or eight weeks ago with some kind of chest complaint, Mick Jagger had his office phone up to see what was going on, and then he phoned up the hospital just to check on Mick because they were worried about him. So there's absolutely no animosity between Mick and the Stones."

Not only are Taylor and his former bandmates best buddies, Taylor is living the life you would expect of the man who plays the guitar solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. "Mick is living in Holland at the moment with his girlfriend," Allen said. Rather than being "some kind of run-down, down-and-out tramp ... Mick's having the house done up."

Bless the Guardian. And glad to learn they were getting along well before his "return" in the band in 2012.

Date: October 14, 2019 01:03

kowalski
mtaylor
Article in Guardian 10 years ago as well - Wed 16 Sep 2009

[www.theguardian.com]

Guitarist Mick Taylor still a fan of the Rolling Stones. Taylor's manager has denied reports that the musician was planning to sue his former bandmates for unpaid royalties, claiming he has a very good relationship with the Stones

Mick Taylor is rich, happy and loves the Rolling Stones. The manager for the Stones' former guitarist has denied reports Taylor is down on his luck and wants to sue his old band, insisting they have "a very good relationship".

According to manager Jeff Allen, Taylor felt "shock, horror and disbelief" reading a recent article in the Mail on Sunday. The piece depicted Taylor as full of regrets and vitriol, living in a "ramshackle cottage" in Suffolk. Despite playing on albums such as Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St, Taylor had allegedly been denied royalties since 1982. "Hiring a lawyer is probably the only way they'll take me seriously," he was quoted as saying.

But that's simply not true, Allen told the NME yesterday. "He certainly didn't say that he was going to sue the Stones," Allen said. "He doesn't feel any need to sue ... Mick's got a very good relationship with the Stones."

"In fact, the last time we met up with them, him and Keith [Richards] were like long-lost lovers – hugging each other and happy to see each other. When Mick was ill either six or eight weeks ago with some kind of chest complaint, Mick Jagger had his office phone up to see what was going on, and then he phoned up the hospital just to check on Mick because they were worried about him. So there's absolutely no animosity between Mick and the Stones."

Not only are Taylor and his former bandmates best buddies, Taylor is living the life you would expect of the man who plays the guitar solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. "Mick is living in Holland at the moment with his girlfriend," Allen said. Rather than being "some kind of run-down, down-and-out tramp ... Mick's having the house done up."

Bless the Guardian. And glad to learn they were getting along well before his "return" in the band in 2012.

This was right after Taylor recorded Plundered My Soul, methinks..

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 14, 2019 01:22

Melody Maker
June 10, 1967
John Mayall is looking for a new guitarist.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 14, 2019 18:11

[www.youtube.com]

British guitarist analyses The Rolling Stones live in 1971 with Mick Taylor!

Someone objective and actually says MT guitar very tastefull and does not get in the way - NO NOODLING LOL

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 14, 2019 19:00

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Someone objective and actually says MT guitar very tastefull and does not get in the way - NO NOODLING LOL

LOL I saw this video and it was raining noodles. Tasty licks but MT needed to pause here and there.I know what Keith means about building a song, the canvas, etc.

Date: October 14, 2019 19:17

osted by: MKjan ()

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

LOL I saw this video and it was raining noodles. Tasty licks but MT needed to pause here and there.I know what Keith means about building a song, the canvas,

My thoughts are is that MT builds the canvas, with his playing and that what sets him apart from all the british guitar gods during that period. MT could play anything during that period and his canvas and landscape were melodic wonderment, I first became aware of MT when I heard IM Free from 1969 and that I was all I needed to become a fan.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 14, 2019 19:29

OpenG
osted by: MKjan ()

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

LOL I saw this video and it was raining noodles. Tasty licks but MT needed to pause here and there.I know what Keith means about building a song, the canvas,

My thoughts are is that MT builds the canvas, with his playing and that what sets him apart from all the british guitar gods during that period. MT could play anything during that period and his canvas and landscape were melodic wonderment, I first became aware of MT when I heard IM Free from 1969 and that I was all I needed to become a fan.

I share your admiration for MT but DF is a great song anyhow, and I actually think the song would be enhanced if he held back a little bit.

Date: October 14, 2019 21:02

[www.youtube.com]

Andy Sharrocks With Mick Taylor YCAGWYW

solo starts at 6.13 - I guess the last time MT played the solo live was 1973 tour?. Nice version in 2015.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: October 16, 2019 01:05

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Andy Sharrocks With Mick Taylor YCAGWYW

solo starts at 6.13 - I guess the last time MT played the solo live was 1973 tour?. Nice version in 2015.

Great find! It was recorded in 2004 and it has that classic MT solo. Wonderfull

Will Jagger ever let Taylor back in as a guest?
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 18, 2019 02:00

Last time Jagger was questioned (Zip Code tour -US) he said: not this tour..
WELL - it's been many years... how about letting him back in for another tour???
and while we're at it - how about doing: TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE - as the last number. One can hope.. MLC

Re: Will Jagger ever let Taylor back in as a guest?
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 18, 2019 03:18

If the “Mick was Keith’s insurance” story is true, then that’s a hard “no.” Keith is in tour shape.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 18, 2019 04:02

I hope so. Bill too.

Bill won’t do it for a song or two though.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 18, 2019 04:12

"Ever" implies there are many more years of touring ahead somehow.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 18, 2019 05:24

Tommy - the Taylor as insurance was BS... bottom-line - Charley,Keith and Ronnie
all wanted Taylor to be included, it was Jagger who said: Stones are a 2-guitar band - period.. would love to see a one night show - recorded - doing all the 70's albums,and include Taylor & Wyman!!!! For us "old" Stones fans!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2019 05:55

Hope it happens, but it's just as likely there will be a new album anytime soon - in other words doubtful.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 18, 2019 06:42

MCDDTLC
...it was Jagger who said: Stones are a 2-guitar band - period.

[timeisonourside.com]

Mick: He's not going to play on this tour. It's just going to be us. We had a great time with him, I really enjoyed it. And we did a load of gigs, we went all around the world. And, you know, we started off in London, it was just going to be one show in London, and we went all around the world together. But this is like the beginning of another tour, so I don't think he's coming on this.

Keith: I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised that was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so has been amazing. He's a lot looser than he was the first time around.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 18, 2019 08:58

MCDDTLC
Tommy - the Taylor as insurance was BS... bottom-line - Charley,Keith and Ronnie
all wanted Taylor to be included, it was Jagger who said: Stones are a 2-guitar band - period.. would love to see a one night show - recorded - doing all the 70's albums,and include Taylor & Wyman!!!! For us "old" Stones fans!!!

I don't know how you can be so sure about that....
...apart from that, as the Stones don't play "road versions" of their songs anymore that allow a bit more jamming and largely stick to their recorded arrangements, Taylor is simply a waste. I think that was the main problem with his "comeback". Apart from Rambler and a small handful of other numbers (Sway/Knocking) he just did not fit in anymore, and that has to do with the Stones' unwillingness or unability to change their routine. Taylor doing a nice lick here and there on Slipping Away or Streets Of Love or playing acoustic guitar on Satisfaction - gimme a break...

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 18, 2019 09:01

It would nice to have him back for another tour AND to play more numbers. It was a dream for me to see him in 2014. I'd love to see him again.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 18, 2019 09:46

If the occasion was big enough, (e.g. 60th anniversary), yes. The question is would Taylor do it? I think he's burnt his bridges with them.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 18, 2019 13:46

Unfortunate to have to say this but I think it has been done and that's it . I feel lucky to have been there for the shows back in 2012-2103 to witness that most amazing work up and down the fretboard and that sweet tone of his on a Sunburst Gibson Les Paul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 18, 2019 14:01

There is something biased in this thread... "Will Jagger ever let Taylor back in as a guest?" ... saying that Mick is in charge and that Mick is the only person saying yes or no. It does not work that way.

Bjornulf

Date: October 18, 2019 14:24

Correct me if I'm wrong, by all means, but - isn't Big Mick in charge?

Date: October 18, 2019 15:03

The issue I have is they didn’t really “take him” across the US, just LA, Chicago, and a few other places that are remote for the vast majority of Americans.

He should have been on the Zip Code tour, and when he wasn’t, I didn’t go.

Date: October 18, 2019 15:16

TravelinMan
The issue I have is they didn’t really “take him” across the US, just LA, Chicago, and a few other places that are remote for the vast majority of Americans.

22 gigs in NYC, New Jersey, Washington, Philly, Chicago, Vegas and several in California. Yeah, one might travel a bit to see them. Same for us (went to London twice). Wasn't too bad for a band that the fans thought were done?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2019 16:59

Yeah, I can't fault them for how much they brought him around. I think it was despicable he didn't get more time, and that he was basically used as a gimmick to sucker people like me in to come back, and I feel bad for fans that didn't get to see it.

Having said that, I always have to come back to the fact that they didn't have to bring him back AT ALL. So while they bungled most of it, the fact that it happened at all is something I do sorta have to give them credit for. It was used as a ploy, but a ploy they didn't have to do.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:48

retired_dog
MCDDTLC

I don't know how you can be so sure about that....
...apart from that, as the Stones don't play "road versions" of their songs anymore that allow a bit more jamming and largely stick to their recorded arrangements, Taylor is simply a waste. I think that was the main problem with his "comeback". Apart from Rambler and a small handful of other numbers (Sway/Knocking) he just did not fit in anymore, and that has to do with the Stones' unwillingness or unability to change their routine. Taylor doing a nice lick here and there on Slipping Away or Streets Of Love or playing acoustic guitar on Satisfaction - gimme a break...

That's absolutely right - unfortunately.

Date: October 18, 2019 19:12

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

22 gigs in NYC, New Jersey, Washington, Philly, Chicago, Vegas and several in California. Yeah, one might travel a bit to see them. Same for us (went to London twice). Wasn't too bad for a band that the fans thought were done?

The Zip Code was on the calendar to fill in the gaps. Most people figured they’d bring him back for that. The lack of clarity is what bothered me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...248249250251252253254255256257258...LastNext
Current Page: 253 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home