Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: August 1, 2019 15:14

Mathijs
And as it is virtually impossible to remove a guitar track from these early 1970's recordings, which were mostly done live.

Mathijs

Depends on the amount of tracks they used. I'm still not convinced it's Richards on guitar.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 2, 2019 00:03

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
And as it is virtually impossible to remove a guitar track from these early 1970's recordings, which were mostly done live.

Mathijs

Depends on the amount of tracks they used. I'm still not convinced it's Richards on guitar.

It's hard to say, it could be either really. I can't tell who plays bass for that matter.

I ran the 1972 version through Pro Tools and hi-passed the track around 620 Hz, made a wide boost at 2.25 kHz, and there is obviously an acoustic guitar. It's not even the same rhythm as the electric. Could be Jagger, which is my guess.

Anybody have the 1993 interview where Taylor said he plays on both tracks from Tattoo You? I can't find the source of that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2019 01:16

Whether or not there's an acoustic guitar on the studio version is not so clear to my ears, but one thing's pretty certain is that every live version has Mick Jagger playing acoustic, but I could be wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-02 01:17 by Hairball.

Date: August 2, 2019 01:23

Hairball
Whether or not there's an acoustic guitar on the studio version is not so clear to my ears, but one thing's pretty certain is that every live version has Mick Jagger playing acoustic, but I could be wrong?

Except for the doctored No Security-version, where they replaced Mick's acoustic. Sounds a bit like Keith, but I was told the Stones didn't do overdubs for this live album. However, it's easy to hear the difference between the St. Louis-version and the released version.

Date: August 2, 2019 01:34

TravelinMan

I ran the 1972 version through Pro Tools and hi-passed the track around 620 Hz, made a wide boost at 2.25 kHz, and there is obviously an acoustic guitar. It's not even the same rhythm as the electric. Could be Jagger, which is my guess.

Do me a favour and post the WAV/AIF export of your Pro Tools File. This sounds almost like rocket science to me.smileys with beer

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 15, 2019 19:16

[www.planetmusic33.com]

I found my copy and forgot about this import - The Stumble with Mayall is just awesome.

May I Have A Record Contract, Mick Taylor - Import LP w/Mint

Description
Rare 1984 Italian vinyl import LP on Kay Records label. Very clean vinyl and frame-ready LP cover. Nine-track compilation of live tracks and studio work that showcase Mick Taylor and testify why he's been ranked #37 among the top 100 guitarists of all time. Taylor, at the age of 16, substituted for Clapton (see note below) during a 1965 live performance of the Bluesbreakers. He eventually joined the band to replace Peter Green, who replaced Clapton when he left the Bluesbreakers for Cream. Tracks here are from gigs with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (2), Rolling Stones (1970 rendition of Love in Vain, Hamburg, Germany), Alvin Lee (1981), Bob Dylan (1983), Alexis Kornery, and with the Jack Bruce band (1975). Taylor did eventually get a record contract; see our listings for Taylor's solo LPs :>)
About Mick Taylor
In 1965, at age 16, Taylor went to see a John Mayall's Bluesbreakers performance at "The Hop" Community Centre, Welwyn Garden City.
It was after John Mayall had finished his first set without a guitarist that it became clear that for some reason Eric Clapton was not going to show up.
Taylor himself has said after seeing that Clapton hadn't appeared, but that his guitar had already been set up on the stage, he approached John Mayall during the interval to ask if he could play with them. Taylor mentioned that he'd heard their albums and knew some of the songs, and after a moment of deliberation, Mayall agreed. Taylor amended, "I wasn't thinking that this was a great opportunity... I just really wanted to get up on stage and play the guitar."
Taylor played the second set with Mayall's band, and after winning Mayall's respect, they exchanged phone numbers. This encounter proved to be pivotal in Taylor's career when Mayall began to look for a guitarist to fill Peter Green's vacancy the following year. Mayall contacted Taylor, and invited him to take Green's place. Taylor made his debut with the Bluesbreakers at the Manor House, an old blues club in north London. For those in the music scene the night was an event... "Let's go and see this 17-year-old kid try and replace Eric". Taylor toured and recorded the album Crusade with Mayall's Bluesbreakers. 1966 to 1969, Taylor developed a guitar style that is blues-based with Latin and Jazz influences. He is the guitarist on the Bluesbreaker albums Diary of a Band, Bare Wires and Blues from Laurel Canyon. He left John Mayall to join the Rolling Stones after Brian Jone's death. Later on in his career, he further developed his skills as a slide guitarist.

Date: August 15, 2019 19:42

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

Do me a favour and post the WAV/AIF export of your Pro Tools File. This sounds almost like rocket science to me.smileys with beer

Haha, okay. I can probably do that tomorrow if I remember.

Date: August 22, 2019 19:28

By this time, Taylor’s reputation as a lead guitarist was spreading, presenting him with more recognition – and opportunities. In November of ’69, Clapton told Melody Maker, “I saw John Mayall in America, and we jammed… Mick Taylor is very good – frightening.” Further session work came in the form of accompanying pianist Champion Jack Dupree on a few tracks for Scooby Dooby Doo, as well as a single recorded by the Irish singer/songwriter Jonathan Kelly. “Make A Stranger Your Friend” featured Taylor along with a cast of thousands, most notably Beatles’ associate Klaus Voorman on bass and guitarist Albert Hammond.

Always was shocked when Clapton said of MT he was very good and frightening sort of like when Clapton saw Hendrix for first time and his jaw dropped.

[www.vintageguitar.com]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 23, 2019 09:46

I miss the last 45 years of Stones records without MT on lead guitar.

MT is a genius. Every guitar player from my era (I started playing in 1972)
that I know and respect thinks he is a genius.

On a side note, the never talked about guitarist these days is Robin Trower.If
you learned to play in the 1970's he was a household name among guitar players.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2019 10:09

Midnight Toker
..On a side note, the never talked about guitarist these days is Robin Trower.If
you learned to play in the 1970's he was a household name among guitar players.

Robin Trower , a legend amongst players...

...but never joined a big enough band and hadn't the personality or image for solo stardom .

The same story as for quite a number of great players down the years.

Could arguably have been a similar tale for MT had he not received the call...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-23 12:24 by Spud.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2019 12:37

Spud

Could arguably have been a similar tale for MT had he not received the call...

There is only what happened of course. He received the call for various reasons, one being how good he was. He more than had the musicianship to answer it.

They were on a path of greatness regardless though, but he was a much needed addition who boosted morale and their playing levels.

They could work once again as a fully functioning band.

Date: August 23, 2019 12:58

OpenG

..Always was shocked when Clapton said of MT he was very good and frightening sort of like when Clapton saw Hendrix for first time and his jaw dropped.

and Hendrix felt the same about Rory grinning smiley

Date: August 23, 2019 15:03

Spud
OpenG

..Always was shocked when Clapton said of MT he was very good and frightening sort of like when Clapton saw Hendrix for first time and his jaw dropped.

I have never tracked down the origin of this supposed quote

Date: August 23, 2019 15:18

OpenG

When did he say that, and why were you shocked?

Clapton said something similar about Francis Rossi, too. A gentleman smiling smiley

Date: August 23, 2019 16:02

TravelinMan
Spud
OpenG

I have never tracked down the origin of this supposed quote

Me neither with any certainty.

I don't think anybody would now know for sure whether it was truth or embellishment ...but Jimi's great admiration of Rory's playing was well known & reported.

Date: August 23, 2019 18:25

The quote from EC is from Melody Maker .

By this time, Taylor’s reputation as a lead guitarist was spreading, presenting him with more recognition – and opportunities. In November of ’69, Clapton told Melody Maker, “I saw John Mayall in America, and we jammed… Mick Taylor is very good – frightening.” Further session work came in the form of accompanying pianist Champion Jack Dupree on a few tracks for Scooby Dooby Doo, as well as a single recorded by the Irish singer/songwriter Jonathan Kelly. “Make A Stranger Your Friend” featured Taylor along with a cast of thousands, most notably Beatles’ associate Klaus Voorman on bass and guitarist Albert Hammond.

Date: August 23, 2019 18:29

OpenG

thumbs up

Date: August 23, 2019 19:40

[www.youtube.com]

Adam Bomb with Mick Taylor - Heaven Come To Me

Rolling Stone's guitarist Mick Taylor recording Heaven Come To Me with Adam Bomb and producer Jack Douglas in New York - 1990.

MT adding his magic to the track.

Date: August 23, 2019 19:52

[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones - Hillside Blues 1969 Let It Bleed Outtake with Mick Taylor (2019)

great quality

The Rolling Stones - Hillside Blues (I Dont Know The Reason Why) 1969 Let It Bleed Outtake with Mick Taylor (2019) from The Best Studio Album The Stones Never Released. March 13, 2012; First published February 2008 Hillside Blues – Vinyl Gang Productions VGP 214 2CD set (1999)
For the true Stones obsessive (and we are many) it is extremely frustrating that Mick Jaggers obsession with proving the Stones continued relevance appears to preclude any reappraisal of their glorious past. Their peers seem to manage it with the Beatles, Who and Led Zeppelin all exhuming their vaults to both critical acclaim and financial benefit.
Where Jagger does have a point is that few bands current output could withstand comparison to the golden era of Beggars Banquet. Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exiles on Main Street. All four were released between December ‘68 and May ‘72, a period of unparalleled creativity for the band. Along the way much good studio material was recorded but not released and it is this treasure trove that VGP have investigated with Hillside Blues. The 30 tracks here are not quite definitive – an inexplicable omission is Did Everybody Pay Their Dues? (an early version of Street Fighting Man) and there are some interesting alternate versions not represented here such as the version of You Got The Silver with Jagger on lead vocals (Keith’s is better). However Hillside Blues represents the most compact and concise over-view of this era to date, and all in stunning sound quality. It certainly dwarfs authorised Rolling Stones collections as Metamorphosis and Rarities, the latter being so uninspired it could be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act.
CD1 is a re-release of the Trident Mixes collection and thus features new-boy Mick Taylor extensively and to great effect. He is all over opening track Jiving Sister Fanny and the guitar interplay on I’m Going Down and Stevie Wonder’s I Don’t Know Why is first rate. The latter has a particular place in Stones history as it is the track that the band were recording at Olympic Studios in Barnes when word came through of Brian Jones death. The other stone-classic on this disc is a 9.46 slow blues version of Two Trains (aka Still A Fool). Originally written by Muddy Waters in 1951 the band turn in a great two-guitars-one-harmonica performance along the lines of Little Red Rooster and too few others. “Essential” opines Martin Elliott in his definitive study ‘The Rolling Stones – Complete Recording Session’ (Cherry Red, 2002). The rest of the disc is largely instrumental, with occasional guide vocals from Jagger on Travellin’ Man. These tracks allow Mick Taylor to stretch out and he is excellent throughout – the track Leather Jacket later popped up again on his solo studio album.
CD2 is a collection of out-takes and alternate versions associated with the Exiles LP. Your companion to untangling the history of these tracks should be John Perry’s essential book in the Schirmer Books Classic Rock Albums series (1999). In general the versions here are simpler and less overdubbed than the tracks that were officially released. The demo for All Down the Line is just Keith Richards acoustic with an occasional guide vocal from Jagger and it totally rocks. Good Time Woman is an early version of Tumbling Dice taken at a faster pace with new lyrics. Loving Cup is a revelation – an exuberant vocal from Jagger (who actually sounds pissed) and terrific interplay between the two lead guitars and Nicky Hopkins sparkling piano. This track really swings. The previously unreleased tracks Hillside Blues, Highway Child and I Ain’t Lying do not disappoint in such illustrious company.
Stones fans should not be denied material of this calibre. We’ve all paid through the nose for records, gigs, travel and (in some cases) ludicrous baseball caps – now is the time for a sensitive re-release programme which pairs each official LP with a companion CD of out-takes and alternates. Get Rhino to do it. I’ll do it. But this stuff demands to be heard.

Date: August 23, 2019 22:27

DandelionPowderman
OpenG

thumbs up

There is another article, I believe also Melody Maker: After Hendrix blew Clapton off the stage in the Marquee club with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, Hendrix asked Clapton afterwards: "How come you cannot play the rhythm guitar?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-23 22:36 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: August 23, 2019 23:10

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

thumbs up

There is another article, I believe also Melody Maker: After Hendrix blew Clapton off the stage in the Marquee club with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, Hendrix asked Clapton afterwards: "How come you cannot play the rhythm guitar?"

Couldn't or wouldn't? winking smiley

He said that publicly?

Date: August 23, 2019 23:16

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

thumbs up

He said that publicly?

Face to face, maybe a few insiders also there. Wouldn't could also have been an option, but as I remember it: cannot. Maybe someone can dig up the article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-23 23:18 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: August 24, 2019 15:14

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

thumbs up

He said that publicly?

Face to face, maybe a few insiders also there. Wouldn't could also have been an option, but as I remember it: cannot. Maybe someone can dig up the article.

Clapton, and his hero BB King, never was too fond of rhythm playing.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 24, 2019 15:39

OpenG

Melody Maker August 23, 1969.
[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 15:39 by Deltics.

Date: August 24, 2019 17:19

Deltics
OpenG

Melody Maker August 23, 1969.
[www.45worlds.com]

Just bought the Dupree Blue Horizon Sessions. Taylor, Kossoff, and Webb played with him evidently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 17:19 by TravelinMan.

Date: August 24, 2019 19:25

TravelinMan

I have that somewhere you motivated me to go through boxes, we moved to Portland Oregon to downsize and I still have not found the time to set up my music room with all my music - just have the guitars at arms length at all times.

Date: August 24, 2019 19:39

OpenG
TravelinMan

I have that somewhere you motivated me to go through boxes, we moved to Portland Oregon to downsize and I still have not found the time to set up my music room with all my music - just have the guitars at arms length at all times.

smileys with beer

Date: August 24, 2019 20:07

Paul Kossoff - what a player and the band Free with Rogers and fraser - Paul died way to young and sadly at 26.

Date: September 11, 2019 18:04

[www.youtube.com]

Key To The Highway - Keith Richards & Mick Taylor

[soundaboard.blogspot.com]

The CYHMK was the only time MT and Keith played the song live without RW.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:26

By chance, I stumbled on this Mick Taylor interview in Classic Rock Magazine.
It's great and focuses mostly on his time with the Stones 1969-1974.

[www.loudersound.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home