Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...245246247248249250251252253254255...LastNext
Current Page: 250 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: July 8, 2019 20:59

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
There's an article in a magazine in the early eighties -I wish I could dig it up-
writing that Taylor was driving in his car with his then wife Valerie and Taylor heard WAOF on a local radios station. Taylor's reaction was :" WtF, that's me playing". Hence the settlement , Tops included in the early 8-tees.

A little mixup here. It was performing credits on Tops he reacted on. Which settlement, btw, the lump sum for performing on Tops that he got? He didn't get that for WOAF.

That's painfull then, I always thought he got payed for both. Indeed no settlement, just a lump sum. Is this one song subject documented somewhere ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 21:05 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:13

Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...

...Nothing.
Nothing about Mick Taylor is on my mind right now.

The Rolling Stones are on tour in 2019 yet some seem committed to the agenda of keeping this thread at the top of page 1 every single day.
Whatever...

Date: July 8, 2019 21:16

Kurt
Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...

...Nothing.
Nothing about Mick Taylor is on my mind right now.

The Rolling Stones are on tour in 2019 yet some seem committed to the agenda of keeping this thread at the top of page 1 every single day.
Whatever...

Thanks for helping us with that. thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:17

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 9, 2019 04:42

If you can’t hear an acoustic on WOAF then you just can’t hear it. It’s there.

Date: July 9, 2019 04:43

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
There's an article in a magazine in the early eighties -I wish I could dig it up-
writing that Taylor was driving in his car with his then wife Valerie and Taylor heard WAOF on a local radios station. Taylor's reaction was :" WtF, that's me playing". Hence the settlement , Tops included in the early 8-tees.

A little mixup here. It was performing credits on Tops he reacted on. Which settlement, btw, the lump sum for performing on Tops that he got? He didn't get that for WOAF.

Tops wasn’t played over the airwaves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 04:43 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 9, 2019 06:08

He was on Tops and Waiting On A Friend I always heard.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 9, 2019 07:19

TravelinMan
Tops wasn’t played over the airwaves.

It wasn't a single, but the entire album was played on the radio in many markets prior to its release over a single weekend. This was a common practice with major artists. It was promotion that the stations would claim was a leaked copy being played heavily over the weekend (usually one song an hour) and then claim to have received a cease and desist from the record label by Monday morning. In 1981, it helped rock radio to uphold a bad boy image and claim to be giving loyal listeners exclusive contraband goods when in fact it was just great exclusive promotion to the major station in the market who usually would also help to promote the act's next show in town.

Date: July 9, 2019 12:56

RollingFreak

There's this "Ask Keith" link on his site, i don't know if it's still there, anyway.
Keith told that you can hear a guitar track and think it's only one guitar, "but it could be 5 or 6 guitars, and you wouldn't even notice it". God knows what Richards, Taylor, Jagger and their producers have cemented together back in the days, hence the unsolved questions about who played what.

Date: July 9, 2019 13:13

TheflyingDutchman
RollingFreak

There's this "Ask Keith" link on his site, i don't know if it's still there, anyway.
Keith told that you can hear a guitar track and think it's only one guitar, "but it could be 5 or 6 guitars, and you wouldn't even notice it". God knows what Richards, Taylor, Jagger and their producers have cemented together back in the days, hence the unsolved questions about who played what.

Did he talk about WOAF in particular, or their overdubbing in general? smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 13:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 9, 2019 14:21

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
RollingFreak

Did he talk about WOAF in particular, or their overdubbing in general? smoking smiley

Nobody in Stones-land talks about WAOF, not even Keith. He was talking about the (early) 7-tees. Point with TTY is that no one is credited, if I'm not mistaken ?

Date: July 12, 2019 01:27

I listened to Separately today and I got a Waiting On A Friend vibe. Taylor may have played the electric on this song with Jagger on the acoustic.

I'm wondering who plays what on Separately. Seems to be two acoustics and one electric? The lead sounds like Richards compared to the version Taylor released later.

Date: July 12, 2019 08:39

Still not convinced whether there is an acoustic on WOAF at all. I've checked umpteen times, both the studio version and the outtakes..

Sounds like something else, imo.

Date: July 12, 2019 11:37

DandelionPowderman
Still not convinced whether there is an acoustic on WOAF at all. I've checked umpteen times, both the studio version and the outtakes..

There's is no acoustic on WAOF and the other outtakes contain exactly the same track although differently edited, sound wise. For the 100the time.smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2019 12:00

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

There's is no acoustic on WAOF and the other outtakes contain exactly the same track although differently edited, sound wise. For the 100the time.smiling smiley

Exactly. But people keep on claiming it.. smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2019 16:19

If you can’t hear an acoustic at 2:16 (most obvious spot) you can’t hear. It’s all over once you tune-in to it.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:59

It's the piano on my headphones.

Date: July 12, 2019 17:59

Towards the left channel. It’s a quick double strum of a steel string acoustic.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:07

All the talk about the intro had to be Taylor and not Keith - I am not sure because the intro walking down the C chord( b and c notes) to the b note is second nature to Keith and then to the suspended F is something Keith would play. Yes separately is similar but its all a guess.

Date: July 12, 2019 22:51

OpenG
All the talk about the intro had to be Taylor and not Keith - I am not sure because the intro walking down the C chord( b and c notes) to the b note is second nature to Keith and then to the suspended F is something Keith would play. Yes separately is similar but its all a guess.

To me, it could be either of them. Taylor could have certainly picked up some techniques from Richards after being in a band with him for three years (at that time).

Is it out of the question Taylor plays the bass? There is a quote somewhere that says his guitar part made it to the overdub sessions, but I can’t find the source. Taylor himself just said he played on those two songs, correct?

Date: July 12, 2019 23:24

Yes I think he did say he played on the song - but playing suspended chords that is something Taylor rarely did ever and that was Keith's gold mine.

Date: July 13, 2019 02:08

Listen to "Morning Story" with Jack Bruce in Gothenburg 1975. Same impact.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:41

[www.youtube.com]

On a youtube journey and kleermaker's video stopped me in my tracks.

Much love to him and hope he is doing well. I quite regret being so harsh towards him in our many IORR interactions.

Date: July 20, 2019 22:48

Is that kleerie playing and singing? thumbs up

He's missed here.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:51

DandelionPowderman
Is that kleerie playing and singing? thumbs up

He's missed here.

Singing over this [www.youtube.com]

Note his comment in there.

"So few who have listened to this beautiful song ?!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-20 22:54 by His Majesty.

Date: July 20, 2019 22:56

[www.youtube.com]

kleermaker sings Jagger - Sway - The Rolling Stones

yes he is missed

Date: July 21, 2019 01:29

Cheers to KLeerie thumbs up

Mick Taylor-Red House.

Date: July 31, 2019 19:37

[www.youtube.com]

ROLLING STONES - Montreux Rehearsals Pt. 3 (1972)

You gotta love MT just sitting down and laying down that intro chord progression.
MT always gets criticized for just strumming the chords barely and not grooving along here on the board.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 1, 2019 14:13

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

The basic track from Kingston 1972 contains Charlie's drums, Bill's bass, Richards rhythm guitar and Nicky Hopkins on piano.

They took this version for overdub sessions in Paris in June 1981, and overdubbed all the percussion. There's about 10 different versions from these sessions, some with percussion by (probably) Jagger, then by professionals (Mike Carabello and Kasper Winding). There's a take with an overdubbed acoustic guitar, which was later removed on the released version, there's a take with an overdubbed piano track, and some takes with different lead and backup vocals, and a take with Henry Rollins blowing away. I am not sure which tapes have been released on boots lately.

Rollins' clearly follows Jagger's vocal line, and makes up the melody as he does the overdub. From what we have available, it is highly doubtful the melody started as a guitar riff. And as it is virtually impossible to remove a guitar track from these early 1970's recordings, which were mostly done live, if Taylor would have played on it it would have been an overdub he did lately, which would be strange as they didn't do overdubs on WOAF in 1972 or 1973, as far as we know.

Mathijs

Date: August 1, 2019 14:19

Sonny Rollins smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...245246247248249250251252253254255...LastNext
Current Page: 250 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home