Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...243244245246247248249250251252253...LastNext
Current Page: 248 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 23, 2019 14:28

ThePaleRider
DandelionPowderman

They were chasing trends with Buttons, Satanic, Beggars, Bleed, SF and Exile, too.

I don't see Exile as chasing any trend prevalent at the time. What did Mick once say...Exile was a 'hangover from the 60's'. I always liked that phrase. It kind of explains the whole rock scene in the early '70's. Wait a minute...is that a trend then afer all, lol...

Well, there was a lot of rock-soul-blues type bands or probably better to just call it Americana bands in 1969 - 1972.

Date: June 23, 2019 14:53

His Majesty
SomeGuy
That's just too easy.

It is. So no need to ask for examples.

Here are three 'Jazzy' similar licks played by Taylor. Twice with the Stones, one with Jack Brruce, Pinkpop '75.: There are more examples of course.

I’m free Oakland 1969 : 2:55

TWFNO : 4:08

Morning Story Pinkpop 1975 with Jack Bruce. :0:15

Date: June 23, 2019 14:58

Sounding part Jerry Garcia part Frank Zappa in those. smoking smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 23, 2019 16:30

Tony Iommi 1972, 5:17:

[www.youtube.com]

drinking smiley

Date: June 23, 2019 16:41

His Majesty

What I do remember from that Pinkpop '75 festival-I was there myself- is that most of the spectators didn't know what to think about the music, but Taylor got a lot of recognition after almost every guitar solo he played. Probably because a lot of Stones fans wanted to see and hear him.

Date: June 23, 2019 18:06

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty

What I do remember from that Pinkpop '75 festival-I was there myself- is that most of the spectators didn't know what to think about the music, but Taylor got a lot of recognition after almost every guitar solo he played. Probably because a lot of Stones fans wanted to see and hear him.

Quite a contrast to the rough blues rocking band on the footage, although perhaps unintentional, they are seemingly a sign of where popular music was about to go. They sound very pub rock which was part of the foundations from which Punk, atleast here in UK, emerged.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 18:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 23, 2019 18:35

Ain't I glad I missed all that.

Date: June 23, 2019 18:39

SomeGuy
Ain't I glad I missed all that.

Indeed. grinning smiley

It was needed though.

Date: June 23, 2019 18:50

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty

Quite a contrast to the rough blues rocking band on the footage, although perhaps unintentional, they are seemingly a sign of where popular music was about to go. They sound very pub rock which was part of the foundations from which Punk, atleast here in UK, emerged.

At least as far as the the drummer of the Jack Bruce Band, Bruce Gary, is concerned. He joined the Knack, and scored a hit with My Sharona in the late 7-tees. Those guys had a nose for fashionable music. A killer drummer he was btw, passed away too early.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 23, 2019 20:11

HMS
PhillyFAN
MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

And the band imo rolls better without him, in hindsight MT became more and more a brake pad for the band, one can hear soome fine examples for that on GHS/IORR. Maybe yet another album with MT would have killed the band. He literally sucked the energy out of the band. The energy returned with Ronnie´s arrival.

The problem was not with Taylor, it was with Keith not contributing as much. Keith has even admitted he missed some sessions and has said some of the seventies albums feature too much input from the sidemen instead of the band. I wonder if he was referring to Billy Preston as one example.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 20:21 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 23, 2019 20:36

[www.youtube.com]

Bare Wires - Taylor at 18 - Mayall experimenting with the blues in many ways and has the musicians to attempt this masterpiece.

Date: June 23, 2019 20:59

Thanks for posting this. Is that Taylor on the Dobro as well-if it's a dobro? I like this stuff.thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2019 21:36

boogaloojef

The problem was not with Taylor, it was with Keith not contributing as much. Keith has even admitted he missed some sessions and has said some of the seventies albums feature too much input from the sidemen instead of the band. I wonder if he was referring to Billy Preston as one example.

Yup. Around the SG release Keef gave an interview to a French mag and he explained why they got rid of Billy Preston : "he would turn our basic song ideas into fully formed tunes faster than we could!". Maybe Billy got the habit of doign this during the IORR B&B sessions where Keef was a bit "under the weather" (to use a giant understatement).

Date: June 23, 2019 22:03

dcba

Yup. Around the SG release Keef gave an interview to a French mag and he explained why they got rid of Billy Preston : "he would turn our basic song ideas into fully formed tunes faster than we could!". Maybe Billy got the habit of doign this during the IORR B&B sessions where Keef was a bit "under the weather" (to use a giant understatement).

Ha, that's Keith's big ego of course. I personally feel that Preston was one of the best things that happened to the Stones at the time. He made it sound very professional.

Date: June 23, 2019 22:25

Ego perhaps, but also identifying a defining feature of The Rolling Stones. It's creative process was one that was drawn out, playing things through until they hit upon the magic.

Intuitive and organic, it's right when it feels right.

Not some virtuoso, one take theory head coming in and knowing what to do before a note is even played. That obviously has it's place, but it's not what The Rolling Stones were about.

Someone who isn't really a fan of the band, but instead prefers a CD full of Mick Taylor guitar solos, might wonder why that could be an issue. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 22:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 23, 2019 23:39

[www.youtube.com]

I Believe To My Soul_ Al Kooper with Mick Taylor

Date: June 23, 2019 23:58

His Majesty
Ego perhaps, but also identifying a defining feature of The Rolling Stones. It's creative process was one that was drawn out, playing things through until they hit upon the magic.

Intuitive and organic, it's right when it feels right.

Not some virtuoso, one take theory head coming in and knowing what to do before a note is even played. That obviously has it's place, but it's not what The Rolling Stones were about.

Someone who isn't really a fan of the band, but instead prefers a CD full of Mick Taylor guitar solos, might wonder why that could be an issue. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I am trying to point out that Keith was diminishing the musical things Preston did for the Stones in the past. .That's a bit below the belt. Wasn't it Mick Jagger who said at the beginning of Midnight Rambler (Brussels'73) "Very fast, can we?" Or did Preston say that?grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 00:02

They increased the MR-tempo before Preston joined them smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 00:08

DandelionPowderman
They increased the MR-tempo before Preston joined them smiling smiley

Thanks,that makes Keith's statement even more ridiculous. Besides, the slowest MR version i ever heard is Essen '70.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:12

Keith was pointing out how Preston took over the band a bit too much.

Nicky had the right balance. Ace playing, but still letting the band be itself.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:31

His Majesty

I have to admit that Taylor had a very good rhythm player between 1969-1974.tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 00:35

TheflyingDutchman

I have to admit that Taylor had a very good rhythm player between 1969-1974.tongue sticking out smiley

That about sums up this so called Rolling Stones.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:38

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

That about sums up this so called Rolling Stones.

Pretty one-dimensional indeed.angry smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 00:45

1969? Keith did the main solos on SFTD (save NYC), HTW, LQ, C, GS, LWM and even on BS. And the solo set on PS and YGM, of course.

Pretty even back then smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 00:50

Correct. Keep in mind that HM and me are just having fun here; at least that's how I feel it. smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 01:02

TheflyingDutchman
Correct. Keep in mind that HM and me are just having fun here; at least that's how I feel it. smiling smiley

Of course. smileys with beer

It's not The Rolling Stones so it's all good. grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 01:03

DandelionPowderman
1969? Keith did the main solos on SFTD (save NYC), HTW, LQ, C, GS, LWM and even on BS. And the solo set on PS and YGM, of course.

This must be why I still like the rolling mutations in 1969. hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 01:10 by His Majesty.

Date: June 24, 2019 01:19

TheflyingDutchman

You must have missed my smiley winking smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 01:39

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

You must have missed my smiley winking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 24, 2019 03:07

DandelionPowderman

Wow. I didn"t realize KR did rhe solo on BS in 1969 umless it was Altamount. I would love to hear that if other versions are around.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...243244245246247248249250251252253...LastNext
Current Page: 248 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home