Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...242243244245246247248249250251252...LastNext
Current Page: 247 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:28

HMS
PhillyFAN
MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

And the band imo rolls better without him, in hindsight MT became more and more a brake pad for the band, one can hear soome fine examples for that on GHS/IORR. Maybe yet another album with MT would have killed the band. He literally sucked the energy out of the band. The energy returned with Ronnie´s arrival.
This is complete nonsense, he “literally sucked the energy out of the band”?? Maybe someone else’s heroin addiction was having a good crack at that.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:51

That was a big problem indeed - the Riffmaster not at the height of his abilities and a non-Stones-like sounding smooth and fluid playing guitarrero trying to take over the band. Had taylor stayed, the band would have crashed within a year or two, maybe earlier.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:02

HMS
That was a big problem indeed - the Riffmaster not at the height of his abilities and a non-Stones-like sounding smooth and fluid playing guitarrero trying to take over the band. Had taylor stayed, the band would have crashed within a year or two, maybe earlier.

Although I think you are some what mentally unhinged... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ... there is something to what you say here.

If not crashed, then perhaps mutated in to something unrecognisable.

Post 74 Jaggers jet setting and trend chasing combined with Taylors tentative steps in to jazz rock fusion creates scenarios for some horrific music. hot smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:02

HMS
Had taylor stayed, the band would have crashed within a year or two, maybe earlier.

Not too sure about that... Creatively Mt and MJ would have joined forced (and put the Rifmeister aside...) and would have given us a string of soft melodic rock albums. Think "sons of TWFNO" eye popping smiley
I'm on the side of those of think SG could have never existed if MT had stayed in the band.

Date: June 22, 2019 23:39

Taylor composed and arranged Dirty Work for Keith and Mick.Top secret.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:47

Mick Taylor’s solo albums have plenty of blues and rock. He never strayed away from his roots. So much of this anti-Taylor stuff is garbage.

If Jeff Beck joined the Stones they would have crashed and burned like a Stone Zeppelin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 23:47 by TravelinMan.

Date: June 22, 2019 23:54

Jeff Beck would never have joined the Stones, even if he was welcome.

Date: June 22, 2019 23:55

TheflyingDutchman
Jeff Beck would never have joined the Stones, even if he was welcome.

Good for both that it didn't happen. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 23:58 by His Majesty.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:59

TravelinMan
Mick Taylor’s solo albums have plenty of blues and rock. He never strayed away from his roots. So much of this anti-Taylor stuff is garbage.

If Jeff Beck joined the Stones they would have crashed and burned like a Stone Zeppelin.

MT has made more than one solo-album?

Jeff Beck & MT should have joined forces. They are two of a kind noodlers. Another similarity: Like MT back in the 70s Jeff Beck tried to talk Mick into breaking up the band in the 80s - --

Date: June 23, 2019 00:09

HMS

Jeff Beck & MT should have joined forces. They are two of a kind noodlers. Another similarity: Like MT back in the 70s Jeff Beck tried to talk Mick into breaking up the band in the 80s - --

Rubbish. Mick Jagger wanted to pay Beck "a Tip", like Jeff put it, to go on tour with Jagger.

Jeff and Taylor? Would have been nice. For obvious reasons it never happened,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 00:23 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 23, 2019 00:27

HMS
TravelinMan

MT has made more than one solo-album?

Yeah, he has three. Lots of great playing to be found on them, check 'em out! In fact, buy them new, help out a Stone!

As far as Taylor and Beck trying to break-up the Stones, source? Can you please provide an actual source for your garbage? Otherwise, it's your opinion and you shouldn't state it like historical fact.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 23, 2019 01:27

I read after MT left Jeff Beck was to be auditioned. I read he didn't want to join the Stones and declined. He said he was not into chaos. He also said he and Keith would have punched each other out. MT did audtion and stayed as long as he could. He was an amazing guitarist but with Jeff Beck he realized his stellar guitar style would not fit in
band like the Stones. MT found out the hard way and left. MT has said he is asked does he regret leaving the Stones he said the hard question is did he regret joining the Stones?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 23, 2019 01:36

His Majesty
HMS

Although I think you are some what mentally unhinged... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ... there is something to what you say here.

Post 74 Jaggers jet setting and trend chasing combined with Taylors tentative steps in to jazz rock fusion creates scenarios for some horrific music. hot smiley

Chasing trends is exactly what they did after MT left. However, we can see that they survived and can't know what would have happened had Wood not joined. Probably more mindless records like Black And Blue. On the other hand, I don't think MT had anything to say in the band, just as Wood doesn't have a say. Fact is, we have to make do with the Stones not having a talented guitarist, better deal with it. I don't expect them to suddenly change and sound like 1972 again, even though Jagger tried to do so on Wandering Spirit. They just don't have the personnel for it.

Date: June 23, 2019 01:45

SomeGuy

Chasing trends is exactly what they did after MT left.

Yes, so mixing that with Taylors jazz fusion aspirations = yuk.

Date: June 23, 2019 01:51

I take it that you don't like jazz fusion smiling smiley Elsewhere on this forum I was more or less reprimanded for not mentioning Chicago as the best American band. I'm glad we can establish here that tastes are allowed to differ.
I'm not sure anyone in the band would have let MT pursue that direction though.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:01

His Majesty
SomeGuy

Chasing trends is exactly what they did after MT left.

Yes, so mixing that with Taylors jazz fusion aspirations = yuk.

This is a common misconception. What are you considering jazz fusion on any Stones record? I'm sorry, but the harmony was never complex enough to be considered jazz. lol

Date: June 23, 2019 02:02

SomeGuy
I take it that you don't like jazz fusion

Magic and mysterious during it's early embryonic phase, but it got ghastly rather quickly as the 70's progressed.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:06

There is no jazz fusion or whatever in MT's playing on Stones records. The closest thing to jazz if you will is Keith's crooning on albums from 1980 onwards.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:11

TravelinMan

This is a common misconception. What are you considering jazz fusion on any Stones record? I'm sorry, but the harmony was never complex enough to be considered jazz. lol

eye rolling smiley

One musician having particular aspirations does not mean the band as a whole is playing that music. His next step after the stones confirms where his head was at. His aspirations found a more suitable home.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:12

SomeGuy
There is no jazz fusion or whatever in MT's playing on Stones records.

Nonsense.

There is a clear and obvious influence and aspiration to go in to that territory and he did.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:19

Any examples?

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 23, 2019 02:23

champ72
HMS
PhillyFAN
MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

And the band imo rolls better without him, in hindsight MT became more and more a brake pad for the band, one can hear soome fine examples for that on GHS/IORR. Maybe yet another album with MT would have killed the band. He literally sucked the energy out of the band. The energy returned with Ronnie´s arrival.
This is complete nonsense, he “literally sucked the energy out of the band”?? Maybe someone else’s heroin addiction was havingh a good crack at that.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 02:25 by PhillyFAN.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:43

SomeGuy
Any examples?

You have ears and there are many recordings from 1973 - 1974 from which to pick out some phrasing and approaches to playing that show where he was heading and why he was suitable for The Jack Bruce Band in 1975.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 02:57 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 23, 2019 03:01

SomeGuy
That's just too easy.

It is. So no need to ask for examples.

Date: June 23, 2019 03:21

You're funny.

Date: June 23, 2019 10:54

SomeGuy
His Majesty
HMS

Chasing trends is exactly what they did after MT left. However, we can see that they survived and can't know what would have happened had Wood not joined. Probably more mindless records like Black And Blue. On the other hand, I don't think MT had anything to say in the band, just as Wood doesn't have a say. Fact is, we have to make do with the Stones not having a talented guitarist, better deal with it. I don't expect them to suddenly change and sound like 1972 again, even though Jagger tried to do so on Wandering Spirit. They just don't have the personnel for it.

They were chasing trends with Buttons, Satanic, Beggars, Bleed, SF and Exile, too.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 23, 2019 11:11

Doxa
HMS

Humbuggrinning smiley
At least in terms of money the golden years started in 1989!smiling smiley

Musically the Wood-era has no less highlights to offer than the Taylor-years. I could give you a detailed list anytime. Once again, the Taylor years showed the (temporary) decline of the band: IORR worse than GHS, GHS worse than EOMS, EOMS worse than SF. So what´s so golden about it after all. Two superb albums - LIB & SF (on one of them almost NO Taylor), one album that could have been a masterpiece it they had shortened it (EOMS) plus two mediocre tired-sounding and overall rather boring albums (GHS/IORR).

Musically, the golden years are the period when they released their incredible string of iconic singles. More golden than any other period (sorry all you Taylorites, but there can´t be any doubt about it).

Taylor was lucky to be around when the Glimmers wrote some of their best songs (EOMS, especially SF) and Wood is not responsible for seemingly weak albums like SW, VL, B2B, ABB. It´s not unusual that the latter day-output of an artist/a band is not as strong as the output of earlier years.

To understand stuff like this one needs to be more a psychologist than knowing anything of music. What HMS says is extreme and troll-like, but it still reflects not so uncommon agenda here. I find it odd, honestly. I guess the angst against Taylor, a guitarist they used to have when they were still creating their legacy big time, stems from some sort of him being recognized too good, an incredible lead guitarist and a musician by any means, and that is not done just by some 'Taylorities' but by a major rock history literature. That recognition, if not even a common truth, hurts some sensitive souls. A bit similar like the common notion that 'Brian Jones was the best of musician of all of them', which seems to make some Stones fans discomfortable. 'What about Keef, ugh?' (no one actually care about Ronnie per se, his apologism stems purely from Keefism) .

So there are people who do their their best to downplay and belittle anything Taylor (or Jones) have contributed to the Stones. Be that trying to show that no way those guys had any contribution is shaping the songs, they didn't play in 'that and that' tune, 'Stones in not about solos', etc. etc. It's almost gestapo-like how certain members here are acting here in details like that - to show how little use of those guys had in some bloody particular tracks or something. If they weren't there (best scenario), they at least did something anyone could have done in a template like that (so, no reason to get excited), or, typical especially with Taylor, destroyed it by their 'Non-Stonesy' means (what a bastard). And in reality - these views are missing the big picture big time.

Sometimes I cannot but feel ashamed for belonging to this so called Ronnie Wood era fan generation, hooked once by that bloody "Start Me Up". The most idiotic and musically one-sided of any Stones fan generations. I was born way tool late to understand anything really.

- Doxa

'.

+1 on all yer posts Sir.

Date: June 23, 2019 13:57

DandelionPowderman
They were chasing trends with Buttons, Satanic, Beggars, Bleed, SF and Exile, too.

In 1965 - 1967 atleast they were bound up and part of those trends. Direct influence and influenced. Drugging up their blues pop music and being part of the creation of freakbeat and psychedelia. Not by intention, just a by product of who they really were. Which was not black guys in the delta or Chicago, but young white guys with money in swinging London.

That's not quite the case with reggae, disco and punk. Which mostly evolve outside of their direct influence and involvement. The stones influence on punk, is more historical rather than who and what they were at the actual time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 15:00 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: June 23, 2019 14:22

DandelionPowderman

I don't see Exile as chasing any trend prevalent at the time. What did Mick once say...Exile was a 'hangover from the 60's'. I always liked that phrase. It kind of explains the whole rock scene in the early '70's. Wait a minute...is that a trend then afer all, lol...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...242243244245246247248249250251252...LastNext
Current Page: 247 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home