Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...229230231232233234235236237238239...LastNext
Current Page: 234 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2019 17:55

OpenG
ck Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: March 27, 2019 22:44

I still have the Vinyl and turned it grey in the early eighties. From a technical /guitarist point of view, to me the best solo record made by a Rolling Stone. The man could play anything, slide, lead, acoustic, rhythm, at a high i.e. professional level. If only-....

People that know Taylor from his contribution with the Stones have heard 50% of his guitar skills only.

Good point as he was limited to playing in the rock format that's one reason he left to play with Jack Bruce.

Taylor's other records - Stranger In This Town, Coastin Home, and A Stones Throw are good efforts. His collaborations with other artists are impressive and he sure added his touch to those songs.

But prior to the Stones he was playing with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers which was somewhat limited in itself. Sure he evolved after he left the Stones, but the fact remains some of his greatest playing was when he was in the Stones (imo). If he had disappeared off the face of the earth when he left the Stones, his legacy would have been intact forever, whereas his output since leaving the Stones is all sort of diluted - again imo.
Not many people can name a single solo song of his, or a song he collaborated on with others, and while they might only know 50% of his guitar skills, I'd say the 50% they do know is really what matters.
Unlike Jeff Beck after the Yardbirds who went on to have an enormous solo career and who continues to record and tour under his own name, Mick Taylor sort of floundered about without any absolute identity post-Stones.

edit: *And also unlike Clapton of course - post Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers, went on to many more highly successful adventures, including his long lasting solo career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-28 18:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 28, 2019 18:26

osted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2019 17:55

OpenG
ck Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: March 27, 2019 22:44

I still have the Vinyl and turned it grey in the early eighties. From a technical /guitarist point of view, to me the best solo record made by a Rolling Stone. The man could play anything, slide, lead, acoustic, rhythm, at a high i.e. professional level. If only-....

People that know Taylor from his contribution with the Stones have heard 50% of his guitar skills only.

Good point as he was limited to playing in the rock format that's one reason he left to play with Jack Bruce.

Taylor's other records - Stranger In This Town, Coastin Home, and A Stones Throw are good efforts. His collaborations with other artists are impressive and he sure added his touch to those songs.

But prior to the Stones he was playing with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers which was somewhat limited in itself. Sure he evolved after he left the Stones, but the fact remains some of his greatest playing was when he was in the Stones (imo). If he had disappeared off the face of the earth when he left the Stones, his legacy would have been intact forever, whereas his output since leaving the Stones is all sort of diluted - again imo.
Not many people can name a single solo song of his, or a song he collaborated on with others, and while they might only know 50% of his guitar skills, I'd say the 50% they do know is really what matters.
Unlike Jeff Beck after the Yardbirds who went on to have an enormous solo career and who continues to record and tour under his own name, Mick Taylor sort of floundered about without any absolute identity post-Stones.

edit: *And also unlike Clapton of course - post Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers, went on to many more highly successful adventures, including his long lasting solo career.

Hairball - I agree MT was his worst own enemy with his solo career. But some of my favorite post stones solos that truly showed his greatness was with his solo material and when he collaborated with other artists. Those solos separate himself from the stones - I can name many of them but as you say most fans are not familiar with that body of work.

Date: March 28, 2019 18:35

[www.youtube.com]

Slow Blues - Pure Perfection -

There is no way that MT could of played this with the Stones - Keith and Ronnie play stones blues and would not fit into that format.

Perfect with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers

Date: March 28, 2019 18:38

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor & Jack Bruce - Band intro & Spirit

Date: March 28, 2019 18:49

Hairball

That's true. From Blow by Blow and onwards - maybe even earlier- Jeff Beck became almost a different player. The way he turned into JazzRock is great, and he keeps up the level, till date.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2019 18:51

Yes all excellent stuff OpenG, but sort of all falls in to the "esoteric" realm where only connoisseur's of his work would know or care about. For those who don't know or care about all of that, are they missing something?
Some of us would say yes absolutely, but in the big picture if they only know his work with the Stones that's probably good enough - that's when he shined his brightest imo.
Like Picasso, his earlier work is what he is best known for, while his later work mostly only the "diehards" care about. Are those who only know and admire his early work missing something?
Perhaps, but the earlier era is really the most important in the big picture of things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-28 18:53 by Hairball.

Date: March 28, 2019 19:43

My Mick Taylor benchmark is I can listen to him all day and never get bored with his playing. I get bored listening to Jeff Beck after some time - I must admit I like RW guitar tone better then Jeff Beck if you can understand what I mean. same with Clapton is tone on the strat at times is to thin for my ears - and my opinion does not mean anything and I do not wish to cause anyone any harm - music is so subjective to the listener.

Date: March 31, 2019 20:08

I just noticed after all these years Mick Taylor's song in 1990 Stanger in This Town has the same opening lyrics as Hide Your Love from Goats Head Soup. I wonder if Taylor had more input on that song
[www.youtube.com]

Hide Your Love

The Rolling Stones
Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down
Sometimes I'm fallin' on the ground

Date: March 31, 2019 20:21

Maybe Mick Taylor just borrowed the lyrics.

Date: March 31, 2019 20:22

If Mick's condition is due to some bone fracture that would limit is onstage performance then the doctors are correct and need to recover and heal. I would not want to see the stones if Mick was sitting down in a chair that would ruin the whole performance for me. Other artists have sat down in a chair on stage to keep the gigs alive - David Grohl and Axl Rose come to mind the last few years.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 31, 2019 20:49

OpenG
If Mick's condition is due to some bone fracture that would limit is onstage performance then the doctors are correct and need to recover and heal. I would not want to see the stones if Mick was sitting down in a chair that would ruin the whole performance for me. Other artists have sat down in a chair on stage to keep the gigs alive - David Grohl and Axl Rose come to mind the last few years.

He just stood around playing before anyway. Shouldn't make much difference if he is sitting down. Besides, I don't think it was a bone fracture. I think it's more likely he had another falling out with Jagger.

winking smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 31, 2019 21:13

For those of you talking about Taylor's post-Stones career: I have read and heard that he battled addiction on and off for many years. I don't think his lack of production came from not caring or not having material, I just think he was not in a great state and could not or did not want to create music.

I always hoped Taylor recorded an album of blues or roots music like Clapton did with Robert Johnson and JJ Cale stuff. It may not be original material, but Taylor's guitar work is extremely recognizable and his personal touch would be the highlight.

Here's holding out hope a Mick Taylor biography will be written and we'll hear his story. He is the most authentic bluesman out of Britain, besides maybe Peter Green.

Date: March 31, 2019 22:39

Sipuncula
OpenG

He just stood around playing before anyway. Shouldn't make much difference if he is sitting down. Besides, I don't think it was a bone fracture. I think it's more likely he had another falling out with Jagger.

winking smiley

cool smiley

Date: April 6, 2019 19:39

[www.youtube.com]

Los Ratones Paranoicos & Mick Taylor Ritmo de la Noche, Argentina TV Show 1993

Not sure how and why MT played this gig. MT slide at 2.44 and single note solo at 4.10 - and 7.20 slide

Date: April 7, 2019 19:39

ASKMick: micktaylorwemissyou says: Mick, did you or Jimmy Page do the lead guitar on the Stones' Through The Lonely Nights? (b-side to It's Only Rock'n'Roll)
MickTaylor: No, I actually played guitar on that song. That's actually not a very well known song... it was the B-side of a single. I played the lead guitar on that...and also sang back up vocals.

I did not know MT sang backup vocals - I can only hear Keith - I read somewhere Jimmy Page played acoustic guitar

Taylor on Bass Question
Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: April 11, 2019 04:56

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've searched around and haven't come across anything. It's been well established that Taylor played bass on a number of tracks, but does anyone have any further info on what bass/gear he tended to use, or any photos of him playing bass from that era? I know the band had a Fender P-Bass around that Keith used in the Beggar's sessions, but I've never known if that was owned by them or just rented.

Re: Taylor on Bass Question
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 11, 2019 13:16

automaticchanger
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've searched around and haven't come across anything. It's been well established that Taylor played bass on a number of tracks, but does anyone have any further info on what bass/gear he tended to use, or any photos of him playing bass from that era? I know the band had a Fender P-Bass around that Keith used in the Beggar's sessions, but I've never known if that was owned by them or just rented.

Leased with an option to buy. Not sure if they ever coughed up the dough though.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 11, 2019 13:19

I think Taylor played on TD,FF and some a few more. Which is a pity because Bill is the greatest bass player in rock. What an integral part of their songs he really is.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 11, 2019 13:51

Think Taylor played a Fender Mustang Bass on Nellcote. But you be the judge.
At least two images exist with him on bass from that basement. Drop me a mail and I´ll send them to you.
Probably used Bills amp, since he was on vacay when Taylor stepped up on bass.

Date: April 11, 2019 14:45

I don't know what Bass Taylor used. I always liked his light-footed, almost sneaky and funky / melodic bass lines on Fingerprint File though. He played the last note, or was it Jagger saying it? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-11 14:59 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2019 16:19

TheflyingDutchman
I don't know what Bass Taylor used. I always liked his light-footed, almost sneaky and funky / melodic bass lines on Fingerprint File though. He played the last note, or was it Jagger saying it? winking smiley

didn't know that was Taylor...love that.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 11, 2019 16:29

I suspect that MT would either have used one of bill's basses or Keith's precision, depending on what was to hand at the time.

To Bill's credit , he never appeared precious about Keith or MT's bass lines being left on some tracks if they were deemed fit for purpose.

[He probably preferred to stay in bed rather than have to turn up and O/D the bassline winking smiley]

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: April 11, 2019 17:44

Mick told me that he played bass on "Dancing With Mr. D."

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 11, 2019 18:00

jiggysawdust
Mick told me that he played bass on "Dancing With Mr. D."

would love to hear more about this conversation! he also played bass on 'Coming Down Again' didn't he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-11 18:01 by duke richardson.

Date: April 11, 2019 18:17

Taylor melodic bass line on Coming Down Again. His bass playing is an extension of his vibrato. Same with TD and FPF.

Date: April 11, 2019 18:21

RobberBride
Think Taylor played a Fender Mustang Bass on Nellcote. But you be the judge.
At least two images exist with him on bass from that basement. Drop me a mail and I´ll send them to you.
Probably used Bills amp, since he was on vacay when Taylor stepped up on bass.

I sent you an email, thanks. The Mustang Bass makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of that (especially considering I have one myself, haha). He may have used the Dan Armstrong bass as well.

Does anyone know if Bill tended to use flatwound strings? Whenever I listen to Keith or Taylor's basslines around that era it always sounds like they're playing with flats, but that could just be down to eq and how the parts sit in the mix.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: April 11, 2019 23:15

Bill has always used flatwounds, as did most bass players in the sixties.

Date: April 12, 2019 03:07

I was pretty sure about it but thanks for the confirmation.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 12, 2019 10:09

We ought to remember as well that bill is perhaps more of an electric bass player than a bass guitarist.

For many years in the studio he continued to use his old bass that he himself had made fretless ...and whatever instrument he used, he would bias the EQ towards that more traditional "bass" sound.

edited to add :-

I wonder if back in the 80's, when "slap bass" and more trebly balanced EQ settings for bass were in fashion, Bill was ever pressured by the engineers and producers of the day to "modernise" his sound ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-12 14:17 by Spud.

Date: April 12, 2019 13:13

Not related to topic - just to OP: great name!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...229230231232233234235236237238239...LastNext
Current Page: 234 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home