Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...228229230231232233234235236237238...LastNext
Current Page: 233 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:06

TheflyingDutchman
Thanks for posting this HM. Imagine you get a job like that as a 19 years old guitarist.

Indeed. Joining the 2nd biggest band in the world. eye popping smiley

Date: March 15, 2019 16:09

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman
Thanks for posting this HM. Imagine you get a job like that as a 19 years old guitarist.

Indeed. Joining the 2nd biggest band in the world. eye popping smiley

Who was first, the Beatles?

Date: March 15, 2019 16:14

TheflyingDutchman

Of course. grinning smiley

Date: March 15, 2019 16:15

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Auch!! smoking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:21

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Auch!! smoking smiley

I would have guessed the Rolling Stones with Brian Jones!

C

Date: March 15, 2019 17:03

liddas

C

Almost an alt stones here: Taylor, Taylor & Wood. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 17:07 by His Majesty.

Date: March 23, 2019 22:54

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 23, 2019 23:04

With Honk and its Cd with guest performers Im gutted there's nothing with Taylor's multiple slots on there. i wish there was a Midnight Rambler w/Mick Taylor from either Roskilde Festival 03.07.2014, Newark 15.12.2012, or Shanghai 2014(my personal fav).

Date: March 23, 2019 23:48

Captainchaos
With Honk and its Cd with guest performers Im gutted there's nothing with Taylor's multiple slots on there. i wish there was a Midnight Rambler w/Mick Taylor from either Roskilde Festival 03.07.2014, Newark 15.12.2012, or Shanghai 2014(my personal fav).

Well, you got the Rolling Stones and you got Mick Taylor musically spoken (listen to my previous post). I don't believe Taylor nor the Rolling Stones added something refreshing during their last tour (2012-2014).

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 24, 2019 17:35

I say Mick Taylor's 4 songs from staples center 5-20-13 added to the sound and a breath of fresh air - he brought the crowd to its feet on CYHMK not bad after all those years.

[www.youtube.com]

on Midnight Rambler Prudential Center - Taylor's guitar up front and making the sound so much better.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 24, 2019 17:55

His Majesty
liddas

C

[www.youtube.com]

That first pic - it sums up the way the years worked it out. You got Ronnie all tanned, lean, sinewy, beautiful guitar strap, necklaces. Then you got Taylor bloated, working man's guitar strap, no tongue around his neck, LOL

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2019 21:03

TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

Well, you got the Rolling Stones and you got Mick Taylor musically spoken (listen to my previous post). I don't believe Taylor nor the Rolling Stones added something refreshing during their last tour (2012-2014).

The fact alone that Mick Taylor rejoined them at all was refreshing.
And MT bringing it like the band or fans hadn't experienced in many years - totally refreshing.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 24, 2019 22:03

dance little sister
silver train
all down the line
and that's just what's on my mind right Now. (which is a great album).
keeps me busy he does

Date: March 24, 2019 22:03

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

And MT bringing it like the band or fans hadn't experienced in many years - totally refreshing.

Sure Hairball, from a historical point of view - I repeat historical, it was refreshing to see Mick Taylor with his "old friends" again. But when you listen to the Spanish Live version I posted, up the page, and there's more to be found, he's almost like Jeff Beck at times. I hear a different Mick Taylor. As far as feeling , creativity, timing and sound is
concerned he delivers more in 20 bars than he did during his entire last tour with the Stones.
The fact that he played with the Rolling Stones 6 years ago, the band that brought him fame, doesn't change that perception to me, Don't mix up nostalgia and good playing. They are two different things. But then again, enjoy. The Stones with Mick Taylor is always better than no Mick Taylor at all.

Date: March 25, 2019 01:35

TheflyingDutchman
The Stones with Mick Taylor is always better than no Mick Taylor at all.

That's really all that needs to be said. thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 25, 2019 09:38

Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
liddas

C

[www.youtube.com]

That first pic - it sums up the way the years worked it out. You got Ronnie all tanned, lean, sinewy, beautiful guitar strap, necklaces. Then you got Taylor bloated, working man's guitar strap, no tongue around his neck, LOL

it's hard not to take the bait and get into a ron vs. mick t. thing;
which is a dis-service to both guitarists deserved legacy, altho
Ron's is with Faces and Rod Stewart solo as far as his powerful and distinct own stylings. In the early going, and I personally think Ron does fine on Stones records, very many excellent classic tracks I thoroughly enjoy and many wonderful stage moments; he's a lovely and skilled guy after all; with an incredible career with Faces; i can't help but go back to that as I saw Faces live at Fillmore East and it's hard to splain how perfectly supremely kingly wonderful that was; and Ron was every bit the co-lead as far as many were concerned; yes the perfect 'foil' in Stones Mick and Keith or you could even say Everly Brothers or the any two of the three dam front beetles
...for that matter; but it was supreme; and his distinctive leads; and wondeful aoustics including 12 string artfully played on a lot of the Rod stuff; and when he could sing too; i mean he still can in a pop sort of way without that real edge ; he was so great i hate to put him down; and occasionaly still a guilty pleasure; his run at the Top in the early going was earthy and stunning imo; but before Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and by that time, gold lame Rod, i did not. but....

yeh, judge by a still; one guys a millionaire with a fashion consultant and a very entitled lifestyle; i do not begrudge him that btw. enjoy ronnie!!
'against' (which offends fans who love them both) Mick Taylor, who has worked with Knopfler, Bob Dill and done the most incredible classic Brilliant and Original arrangements with some of their best known, most often played (Ron is a total respectful gentleman that is also intelligent as well as gracious; and affords Taylor great homage and always did; to Ron's great credit. a cheap shot at Mick's looks here; well perhaps not intended so; but it seems needlessly disepectful of a classic and in many ways foundation Stone in almost All of their Golden period; or so the public and critics , and Stones themselves, have offered up....yep not on Banquet; yep only a glance on Bleed but jeeze that brown sugar and exiles stuff was pretty good; Ron was excellent at appropriating that and paying his respects. also i get a big thrill when Rolling Stone Ron sits down at that pedal steel; very excellent touch; they shouldn't be afraid of another acousic breakdown now and again. in my classic fave concert; they had aced a couple in '72 and it never slowed the show down in a negative way, in the opinion of many fans. Lay offa taylor's looks; he's super great guy an super original brilliant guy; obviously not a show biz cat from the start; sorta like bill in some ways but less flashy; a perfect Rolling Stone that will always have my great respect and appreciation and prayers, as will Bill.
he's the lead guitarist on Sticky and four sides of exiles; he made stunning work on Goats and IOrr; and they were still mining his tracks i think...
the outtakes sans vocals blow the doors off of many an acts entire produced catalogs...imo. but i'm big fan i guess. i saw him live as a Rolling Stone in differ cities. Along with some The Who shows early on; and a taste of that Faces show i mentioned; and this surpassed those for me personally; well one of them did; one of them was the best rock and roll music live i'd ever heard; barrelhouse bluster; sure stu was there and so was nicky; but it was Mick Taylor; i don't know if they ever would have regained huge popularity; premiere first rate popularity of millions of bands; without Taylor; it certainly would have been something interesting and obviously mmuch different; but it's unimaginable to me personally; even his little accents and rhythm guitar; say on Brown Sugar for pete's sake; i mean he's Mick Taylor., That's awesome; i wish him well. sometimes it takes a non star to show the stars what a star is

Date: March 25, 2019 12:25

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
The Stones with Mick Taylor is always better than no Mick Taylor at all.

That's really all that needs to be said. thumbs up

Wants to be read . winking smiley

Date: March 25, 2019 16:38

MT's debut release 1979 - He clearly has not got over the stones leather jacket has mention of south of france clearly aimed at Jagger and on Spanish A the studio version MT plays at the end some of the guitar lines for TWFNO - So he got another chance in 2012 and added guitar sound to the weavers which is a good thing for all to listen to.

Date: March 25, 2019 17:21

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

I've got to take this on
Shanghai 2014 is unique, its never been played like this before or since - if you have listened to this you wouldn't type 'I don't believe Taylor nor the Rolling Stones added something refreshing during their last tour (2012-2014)' thats just an easy opportunity to type something without knowing what your talking about.. for those that HAVE heard it/seen it they'd look on that particular comment as an ass of a comment.

last comment had its right. 'The fact alone that Mick Taylor rejoined them at all was refreshing.
And MT bringing it like the band or fans hadn't experienced in many years - totally refreshing' if you get a chance find these 3 live takes and (with Shanghai) feel privileged to hear a band jamming and doing unexpected things with dynamism and verve

Anyhow - the POINT i was making was how its a missed opportunity to have both Taylor and Wyman's live playing with the band on this when you consider the guests CD

Date: March 25, 2019 19:42

Captainchaos
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

I've got to take this on
Shanghai 2014 is unique, its never been played like this before or since - if you have listened to this you wouldn't type 'I don't believe Taylor nor the Rolling Stones added something refreshing during their last tour (2012-2014)' thats just an easy opportunity to type something without knowing what your talking about.. for those that HAVE heard it/seen it they'd look on that particular comment as an ass of a comment.

last comment had its right. 'The fact alone that Mick Taylor rejoined them at all was refreshing.
And MT bringing it like the band or fans hadn't experienced in many years - totally refreshing' if you get a chance find these 3 live takes and (with Shanghai) feel privileged to hear a band jamming and doing unexpected things with dynamism and verve

Anyhow - the POINT i was making was how its a missed opportunity to have both Taylor and Wyman's live playing with the band on this when you consider the guests CD

A total missed opportunity, and instead we're gifted with Ed Sheeran whining along to Beast of Burden, and Dave Grohl butchering Bitch.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2019 19:52

OpenG
MT's debut release 1979 - He clearly has not got over the stones leather jacket has mention of south of france clearly aimed at Jagger

Maybe he still resented the fact that he offered to take over the songwriting work with Jagger and Jagger, out of loyalty for Keef, refused...

Said differently Taylor probably had a hunch Keith was physically and creatively declining (due to drugs) and he thought a MJ/MT joint songwriting force was the future of the Stones...?
"Hey Mick let's join forces and we'll make a bunch of great tunes like "Moonlight Mile"! Keith is down, he'ss the next Brian Jones. Ditch him!!".
Okay it certainly never was expressed this clearly but MT probably had this train of thoughts in mind...

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 26, 2019 01:31

dcba
OpenG
MT's debut release 1979 - He clearly has not got over the stones leather jacket has mention of south of france clearly aimed at Jagger

Maybe he still resented the fact that he offered to take over the songwriting work with Jagger and Jagger, out of loyalty for Keef, refused...

Said differently Taylor probably had a hunch Keith was physically and creatively declining (due to drugs) and he thought a MJ/MT joint songwriting force was the future of the Stones...?
"Hey Mick let's join forces and we'll make a bunch of great tunes like "Moonlight Mile"! Keith is down, he'ss the next Brian Jones. Ditch him!!".
Okay it certainly never was expressed this clearly but MT probably had this train of thoughts in mind...

What did Keith once say..."Mick Taylor is a great guitarist, but he found out the hard way that that's all he is."

Date: March 26, 2019 02:21

Captainchaos
TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

I've got to take this on

I wouldn't type this if i hadn't listened to it. Besides, you take my post a bit out of context. The Stones with Taylor are better than no Taylor at all is one of my sincere opinions that I wrote.. And there are Taylor's performances in the eighteen (you should check it out winking smiley ) that -to my ears -have more to offer musically than the the Brussels '73 copy of Midnight Rambler, I'm talking about the entire band here. Besides, I was lucky enough to see the Stones in '73, i think it just sounded better.
But for a younger generation (I guess you're amongst them) I can Imagine that the latter versions are refreshing. Every Stones gig is a unique one.

Date: March 26, 2019 14:26

hopkins
Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
liddas

C

[www.youtube.com]

it's hard not to take the bait and get into a ron vs. mick t. thing;
which is a dis-service to both guitarists deserved legacy, altho
Ron's is with Faces and Rod Stewart solo as far as his powerful and distinct own stylings. In the early going, and I personally think Ron does fine on Stones records, very many excellent classic tracks I thoroughly enjoy and many wonderful stage moments; he's a lovely and skilled guy after all; with an incredible career with Faces; i can't help but go back to that as I saw Faces live at Fillmore East and it's hard to splain how perfectly supremely kingly wonderful that was; and Ron was every bit the co-lead as far as many were concerned; yes the perfect 'foil' in Stones Mick and Keith or you could even say Everly Brothers or the any two of the three dam front beetles
...for that matter; but it was supreme; and his distinctive leads; and wondeful aoustics including 12 string artfully played on a lot of the Rod stuff; and when he could sing too; i mean he still can in a pop sort of way without that real edge ; he was so great i hate to put him down; and occasionaly still a guilty pleasure; his run at the Top in the early going was earthy and stunning imo; but before Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and by that time, gold lame Rod, i did not. but....

yeh, judge by a still; one guys a millionaire with a fashion consultant and a very entitled lifestyle; i do not begrudge him that btw. enjoy ronnie!!
'against' (which offends fans who love them both) Mick Taylor, who has worked with Knopfler, Bob Dill and done the most incredible classic Brilliant and Original arrangements with some of their best known, most often played (Ron is a total respectful gentleman that is also intelligent as well as gracious; and affords Taylor great homage and always did; to Ron's great credit. a cheap shot at Mick's looks here; well perhaps not intended so; but it seems needlessly disepectful of a classic and in many ways foundation Stone in almost All of their Golden period; or so the public and critics , and Stones themselves, have offered up....yep not on Banquet; yep only a glance on Bleed but jeeze that brown sugar and exiles stuff was pretty good; Ron was excellent at appropriating that and paying his respects. also i get a big thrill when Rolling Stone Ron sits down at that pedal steel; very excellent touch; they shouldn't be afraid of another acousic breakdown now and again. in my classic fave concert; they had aced a couple in '72 and it never slowed the show down in a negative way, in the opinion of many fans. Lay offa taylor's looks; he's super great guy an super original brilliant guy; obviously not a show biz cat from the start; sorta like bill in some ways but less flashy; a perfect Rolling Stone that will always have my great respect and appreciation and prayers, as will Bill.
he's the lead guitarist on Sticky and four sides of exiles; he made stunning work on Goats and IOrr; and they were still mining his tracks i think...
the outtakes sans vocals blow the doors off of many an acts entire produced catalogs...imo. but i'm big fan i guess. i saw him live as a Rolling Stone in differ cities. Along with some The Who shows early on; and a taste of that Faces show i mentioned; and this surpassed those for me personally; well one of them did; one of them was the best rock and roll music live i'd ever heard; barrelhouse bluster; sure stu was there and so was nicky; but it was Mick Taylor; i don't know if they ever would have regained huge popularity; premiere first rate popularity of millions of bands; without Taylor; it certainly would have been something interesting and obviously mmuch different; but it's unimaginable to me personally; even his little accents and rhythm guitar; say on Brown Sugar for pete's sake; i mean he's Mick Taylor., That's awesome; i wish him well. sometimes it takes a non star to show the stars what a star is
It was definitely not meant as bait. I have never engaged in any T vs W controversy because I love them both. But you got to be able to get a chuckle out of it sometimes. Where even Taylor himself every once in a while gets those Pete Best Blues, where he just goes "Damn..."
You are so right about the last sentence in your post. IMO this is a huge part why the Stones are what they are; the chemistry of superstars, and then the other side of the coin, which makes it all possible. One won't fly w/o the other.

Date: March 26, 2019 15:20

TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos
TheflyingDutchman
Captainchaos

I've got to take this on

I wouldn't type this if i hadn't listened to it. Besides, you take my post a bit out of context. The Stones with Taylor are better than no Taylor at all is one of my sincere opinions that I wrote.. And there are Taylor's performances in the eighteen (you should check it out winking smiley ) that -to my ears -have more to offer musically than the the Brussels '73 copy of Midnight Rambler, I'm talking about the entire band here. Besides, I was lucky enough to see the Stones in '73, i think it just sounded better.
But for a younger generation (I guess you're amongst them) I can Imagine that the latter versions are refreshing. Every Stones gig is a unique one.

I've highlighted the key quote i don't agree with. Taylor Woods & Richards together created something not done before by the band (except the 80s 1 off gig), this is refreshing, and in the context of the band since the steel wheels tour enormously so.

Yes I've watched all the Midnight Ramblers and all of Taylor's slots he guested on, either at the gig, online or both.

I can't deny the 73 Stones were better, but in the context of where they currently or recently have been they just sounded better/more dynamic with taylor.

Peace

Date: March 27, 2019 20:44

[www.youtube.com]

Vinyl Review: Mick Taylor Solo 1979

I never saw the Vinyl in my life - starts at 3.20

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 27, 2019 21:48

I own that LP. I never play it

Date: March 27, 2019 22:07

ck Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 27, 2019 21:48

I own that LP. I never play it

I recommend you play it great record - broken hands sounds circa stones - I have on CD and never saw it on Vinyl

Date: March 27, 2019 22:44

I still have the Vinyl and turned it grey in the early eighties. From a technical /guitarist point of view, to me the best solo record made by a Rolling Stone. The man could play anything, slide, lead, acoustic, rhythm, at a high i.e. professional level. If only-....

People that know Taylor from his contribution with the Stones have heard 50% of his guitar skills only.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 23:41 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 28, 2019 17:22

ck Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: March 27, 2019 22:44

I still have the Vinyl and turned it grey in the early eighties. From a technical /guitarist point of view, to me the best solo record made by a Rolling Stone. The man could play anything, slide, lead, acoustic, rhythm, at a high i.e. professional level. If only-....

People that know Taylor from his contribution with the Stones have heard 50% of his guitar skills only.

Good point as he was limited to playing in the rock format that's one reason he left to play with Jack Bruce.

Taylor's other records - Stranger In This Town, Coastin Home, and A Stones Throw are good efforts. His collaborations with other artists are impressive and he sure added his touch to those songs.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...228229230231232233234235236237238...LastNext
Current Page: 233 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home