Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223...LastNext
Current Page: 218 of 307
Re: What's Mick Taylor been up to?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2018 20:36

Well, he certainly doesn't look like a healthy chap. Maybe he's relaxing and dealing with life at his pace.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2018 20:39

Well, he is a senior citizen and can do whatever he likes. Of course. The extra money surely came in handy. Good for him.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 11, 2018 20:51

Stoneage
A new set of teeth, cutting the grass and mending the Vauxhall?

Yeah i remember that news article with the beaten up Vauxhall just before the Stones invited him to play, i wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as Taylor did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.
Another theory of mine is that Mick brought him along in case Ronnie messed up, it certainly kept Ronnie sober at the time, Jagger's a genius in the way of manipulating and controlling people and situations.

I can never work out Mick Taylor, he was playing so well with the Stones 50th, he had lost weight and was looking strong, with the money they paid him and the attention playing with the Stones gave him, he could have financed a decent tour of his own and got a decent singer to accompany him.

I guess money and fame are not on his agenda, nothing wrong with that, maybe being out of the limelight is good for his health.

Hope he is doing well, love the man and what he has given us through his playing, those years he was in the Stones touring and making albums was unsurpassable, no band has or ever will reach those heights, Taylor is part of the glue that made the best rock and roll band in the world.
In that respect i view Ronnie as a freeloader when he was so out of it and ruining most Stones performances. For two decades i felt they should have got Taylor back to replace him, it would have been justified, watching Ronnie play now, finally focused, it's obvious he was more interested in getting loaded than playing to the people. At least when Keith was drunk, high or both he still managed to do his gig between 89' to 06'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 21:05 by keithsman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 11, 2018 20:59

keithsman
Stoneage

Yeah i remember that news article with the beaten up Vauxhall just before the Stones invited him to play, i wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as he did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.
Another theory of mine is that Mick brought him along in case Ronnie messed up, it certainly kept Ronnie sober at the time, Jagger's a genius in the way of manipulating and controlling people and situations.

I can never work out Mick Taylor, he was playing so well with the Stones 50th, he had lost weight and was looking strong, with the money they paid him and the attention playing with the Stones gave him, he could have financed a decent tour of his own and got a decent singer to accompany him.

I guess money and fame are not on his agenda, nothing wrong with that, maybe being out of the limelight is good for his health.

Hope he is doing well, love the man and what he has given us through his playing.
I don't think it ever was about money and fame and how else would you explain when he walked away at the end of 1974 except for the often cited creative/artistic differences

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 21:00 by TheGreek.

Date: July 11, 2018 21:09

TheGreek
keithsman
Stoneage

Yeah i remember that news article with the beaten up Vauxhall just before the Stones invited him to play, i wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as he did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.

Hope he is doing well, love the man and what he has given us through his playing.
I don't think it ever was about money and fame and how else would you explain when he walked away at the end of 1974 except for the often cited creative/artistic differences

Yes but come on, he obviously lived to regret that decision.
He grew out of his shyness and loved playing with the Stones more recently, he's whole personality has changed, i just stated above that they should have asked him to come back when Ronnie sucked the big one for two decades.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2018 21:16

TheGreek
keithsman
Stoneage

Whatever the reasons, thank my lucky stars he rejoined them for the 50 and Counting tour as they were some of the best Stones shows I've ever seen, and the Staples Center 2 show easily ranks at the top (along with a couple other personal favorites). Having seen him with the Bluesbreakers reunion at the L.A. Roxy in '82, as well as a solo show at the 100 Club in between Stones show in London '03, it was always a dream to see him grace the stage with his virtuosity at a Stones show. Having seen six shows during the 50 and Counting tour, that dream came true six times over.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2018 22:08

playin' on the slide …………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 11, 2018 23:38

Mick's been up to
... his neck

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 12, 2018 00:02

triceratops
keithsman
jazzbass
Any news on Mick? He's been quiet since the 50 and counting shows. Is he playing at all, anywhere?

He retired on £500k he got for touring with the Stones 50th anniversary tour.winking smiley

My guess is got one million dollars. A nice round number. I hope the Rolling Stones office gave him sound advice on the taxes paid.

I hope Ol Mick had a good time during the tour. Seeing all these different cities.

He used on Euro JackPot and lost it all.....smileys with beer

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 12, 2018 00:41

When he stayed on after the 50 and counting tour i had high hopes. then they shat on him.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2018 00:43

all these recent documentaries on various performers..

there ought to be one on Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 12, 2018 00:47

Captainchaos
When he stayed on after the 50 and counting tour i had high hopes. then they shat on him.

hopes for what?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 12, 2018 00:50

Whilst I agree that he was never after money and fame as such, the irony seems to be that his involvement with the group initially and then the 50 tour has left him with enough dosh never to be a "working musician".
He must/or did get plenty of offers but chooses to let them pass.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: July 12, 2018 02:50

Cooltoplady
Captainchaos

hopes for what?
Depending on who you are either pointless noodling or brilliant solos

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2018 04:41

keithsman
I wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as Taylor did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.

While it's speculation only on either of our part, I think Ronnie is more supportive of Mr. Taylor than not. He shared the stage with Mick for the "Save the 100 Club" show in December 2010 and the "Boogie for Stu" shows at the Ambassadors Theatre in March 2011. Mick played on Ronnie's solo session when Ronnie cut a track for "CSI:MIAMI" in 2012 and in June of that year, Mick joined "Ronnie Wood & Friends" for "BluesFest" at the Hammersmith Apollo. He joined "Ronnie Wood & Friends" again the following year to play "BluesFest" at the Royal Albert Hall in November 2013 and then followed it with three club dates in New York together. Mick attended Ronnie's art exhibition in Stockholm in June 2014 and they played the benefit for the London Roundhouse together in March 2015.

All told, I would say they enjoy playing with one another and get along quite well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 12, 2018 11:00

keithsman
i wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as Taylor did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.

Btw where's the bozo who claimed Taylor was hired as an "insurance" because at that time Ron and/or Keef were just about to die mid-tour... drinking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 12, 2018 11:31

Correction: The teeth implant was done before the 2012 tour. According to the news paper article it did cost £10,000 and was allegedly paid for by Sir Michael.
The car was not a Vauxhall - it was a late 90s VW Passat. White.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:15

TheGreek
Drugs.
He's acknowledged that his drug use and that of the bands, was a key factor in his getting out.

Date: July 12, 2018 17:35

dcba
Btw where's the bozo who claimed Taylor was hired as an "insurance" because at that time Ron and/or Keef were just about to die mid-tour... drinking smiley

I don't recall anyone here saying Ronnie or Keith were going to die. It's unlikely the shows would have gone forward at all if that was the case. I do think the "insurance" theory that was proposed likely had some truth in it as did the presence of other guest guitarists at so many of those shows. No, I'm not suggesting any of them were ready to step in and replace anyone -- no one else was rehearsing the setlist with them -- but their presence helped ease up the pressure while Keith was still potentially rusty or limited. Go back to Keith at the Apollo in 2012 and see how out of shape he seemed (he was far, far better at the rehearsal). All of them, even Mick at the White House, seemed to need to work harder at getting back in shape in 2012 than ever before. Hardly surprising considering they practically retired after 2007.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:38

Rocky Dijon
dcba

I don't recall anyone here saying Ronnie or Keith were going to die. It's unlikely the shows would have gone forward at all if that was the case. I do think the "insurance" theory that was proposed likely had some truth in it as did the presence of other guest guitarists at so many of those shows. No, I'm not suggesting any of them were ready to step in and replace anyone -- no one else was rehearsing the setlist with them -- but their presence helped ease up the pressure while Keith was still potentially rusty or limited. Go back to Keith at the Apollo in 2012 and see how out of shape he seemed (he was far, far better at the rehearsal). All of them, even Mick at the White House, seemed to need to work harder at getting back in shape in 2012 than ever before. Hardly surprising considering they practically retired after 2007.
^
and, *cough cough
we’re all old (er)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2018 20:25

Stoneage
Correction: The teeth implant was done before the 2012 tour. According to the news paper article it did cost £10,000 and was allegedly paid for by Sir Michael.
The car was not a Vauxhall - it was a late 90s VW Passat. White.

Mistakenly thought you were referring to Keith's new set of choppers, and was wondering why Mick would pay for them - but now I see it was regarding Taylors teeth. But regarding Keith, he seems to get a new set of teeth every few years - must suck to go to the dentist so often - I have a hard time sitting through one visit for a simple checkup/cleaning. This most recent set for Keith looks good though compared to a previous set which seemed too large...or maybe Keith's mouth grew bigger since then making the teeth look more natural.

Date: July 12, 2018 21:07

Look at you with your face all shining
Got some new work done and some realigning
Now that your nose got some redefining
You look like a million bucks

copyright (c) 2010 PromoPub

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 12, 2018 21:12

MT's beautiful slide on Never Fall in Love from A Stones Throw. Maybe someday he will release other outtakes he said he had from the Stones Throw Sessions

[www.bing.com]

Date: July 12, 2018 21:14

Hairball

But regarding Keith, he seems to get a new set of teeth every few years - must suck to go to the dentist so often - I

Keith goes for a complete knock out, no worries.

Date: July 13, 2018 11:40

dcba
keithsman
i wonder if they felt for him, he was completely broke at the time, i can imagine Keith or Charlie suggesting it, maybe not Ronnie as Taylor did tend to blow him off the Stage at the time.

What i said was this

Another theory of mine is that Mick brought him along in case Ronnie messed up, it certainly kept Ronnie sober at the time, Jagger's a genius in that way.

i don't think Taylor could replace Keith, completely different players, sorry if i have taken your post wrong.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2018 16:20

S.T.P
Yeah, I loved that one! Reminded me of Brians guitar playing on Beggars... -Made a huge differencedrinking smiley

Indeed it did...

[www.youtube.com]

smoking smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 13, 2018 16:55

I’ll never forgive myself for missing Taylor with the Stones in Chicago sad smiley I figured they’d be back closer the next time and I was so wrong!!

Date: July 13, 2018 17:08

MisterDDDD
TheGreek
Drugs.
He's acknowledged that his drug use and that of the bands, was a key factor in his getting out.
And to me reading in between the lines is that he was pissed at not getting any songwriting/publishing credits where the real money lies , not as getting paid salary as a sideman like for instance what Chuck or Darryl or any of the others that are in the "touring " band are paid. To be fair to the Glimmer Twins after all the debacles about how they were getting ripped off by everybody including Allen Klein I can understand where they are coming from with every composition of there's being credited to Jagger/Richards.

smiling smileyRe: What's Mick Taylor been up to?
Date: July 13, 2018 17:21

Rocky Dijon
dcba

I was at the Apollo and he was a shadow of himself and I did not have any good sense that it would ever be the same again for the Mighty Riffmaster .Then fast forward to Barclays Center 12/8/12 and that was not the same person on the Butterscotch Tele and I was relieved with joy and ecstasy that Keef was back .Looking back on that Saturday night in Brooklyn was such a miracle for me because I thought the Stones were done as it had been 5 years from the last Euro ABB shows and then there was nothing until the Howling for Hubert Tribute at the Apollo on that cold damp February night in 2012 ,which Eric Clapton opened the show with an acoustic rendition of Keys to the Highway and then later in the show layed down one of his trademark blazing solos up and down the scale of the fingerboard of his Gibson ES 350 guitar . Now in 2018 Keith is showing he has plenty of fuel left in the tank and good for him and GREAT for us fans and God Bless Him everyday for all the joy he has given us for over 56 years and counting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-13 21:29 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:33

At the time there was a lot of heat to Taylor being 'insurance' for Keith. I'd never see him as replacement - Keith is irreplaceable. but i did get it that both Taylor & Woods could 'cover' for him. I've always felt Woods was always a more richards (i.e. riff rhythm) type of player rather than a taylor (virtuoso lead player). so it kinda made sense to have a super sub able to step in if needed.

Midnight Rambler and CYHMK are lead slots for taylor and i did love that, BUT i loved the potential showed when he just played as part of the band on stuff like Streets of Love, Slipping Away and the parts he played here, they weren't show stealing things but they added nice touches of class and elegance (when audible), and thickend/phattened up the band sound.

I preferred Taylor fattening up the band in these songs rather than Chuck doing it with keys. with a guitar adding the weight rather than keys, for me it still made the band sound rock and roll, rather than vegas, which whether you like it or not with Chuck, a lot on here feel that the extra (helping hand) keys did bring in a touch too much vegas.

Having said that, Keith's gone from strength to strength and seems to have recovered as best he will from 'that fall' whatever that fall was.

But yeah its the missed boat of the being part of the band potential of taylor in the 'SOL, SA' however fleeing a glimpse that was. The recent demos we've heard makes me miss that 'Je ne sais pas pourquoi' Taylor adds

That ships well and truly sailed but its a shame, for both sides too

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223...LastNext
Current Page: 218 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home