Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...211212213214215216217218219220221...LastNext
Current Page: 216 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor...is he in
Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:14

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
Can't see it myself, Keith clearly loves Mick Taylor being on-board but i don't get that vibe from Mick and Ron.

Jagger seemed annoyed at waiting for Taylor to finish his solo's when he guested before, i mean its ridiculous, being impatient with an amazing solo so that Mick can sing more . Like we don't get enough of Mick singing.confused smiley

Why not from Ron?
Ron should play bass

Date: April 19, 2018 03:16

Rocky Dijon
I do think Ronnie was nervous some of the time when Taylor played solos onstage with the Stones. Ronnie's nervous when he plays his own solos, but Mick went off script (which was delightful) and that meant the tightly rehearsed parts for Chuck or lighting or the cameras went from flowing smoothly to the potential for mess-ups. That made Jagger uncomfortable since people who depend on predictability were now tense. It's hard to lead a band onstage, let alone steer a production when you have a musician who goes rogue - no matter how good he plays. Mick and Keith sometimes seemed to be smiling in amusement over Taylor losing himself on stage just as he did in 1973. It's not their comfort level as performers though Keith certainly extends solos and numbers to Jagger's irritation as well. I don't believe there's anything more to it than that. They knew what they were getting when they reached out to Taylor.
Nailed it

Date: April 19, 2018 03:19

BluzDude
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, they're two different persons and musicians, so there is a difference smiling smiley

Love the short and sweet Sticky Fingers Live-version, btw. Glastonbury not so much. Staples Center was way better, imo.

I will always be grateful that I got to experience it live. I did get the feeling that Mick was trying to rush Taylor and Keys along during their solos, but that could have been Mick's way of moving about the stage, he almost seemed lost when he has to stand on stage for 3 or 4 minutes and not doing anything. Personally, if the stretched it into 15 minutes, I would have been totally fine with it. Also being there is a little different experience than watching it on the television screen.
SC best gig of the tour

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:42

diverseharmonics
BluzDude
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, they're two different persons and musicians, so there is a difference smiling smiley

Love the short and sweet Sticky Fingers Live-version, btw. Glastonbury not so much. Staples Center was way better, imo.

I will always be grateful that I got to experience it live. I did get the feeling that Mick was trying to rush Taylor and Keys along during their solos, but that could have been Mick's way of moving about the stage, he almost seemed lost when he has to stand on stage for 3 or 4 minutes and not doing anything. Personally, if the stretched it into 15 minutes, I would have been totally fine with it. Also being there is a little different experience than watching it on the television screen.
SC best gig of the tour

It was almost a 'holy grail' type show for me, and he played a stunning solo on Sway as well for a total of four tunes....almost had tears in my eyes...winking smiley
They also played All Down the Line that night, and had Taylor played on that I might have died and gone to heaven right then and there.
And not forgetting Ronnie (which is sometimes easy to do), but he shined on lap pedal when they played Faraway Eyes.
He's no expert on the lap pedal by a longshot, but his ragtag style is what makes it unique.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 19, 2018 05:14

Captainchaos
i wanted to hear Taylor on the boot of the 2002 sessions. impossible for oooooooodles of reasons, but he would improve all the tracks with counter point playing

Yeah - what a missed opportunity. Still, we heard CYHMK played proper and MR played like a monster. all the songs he played on live 2012 - 2014 sounded better for him being in amongst it, even as a sideman ala streets of love, slipping away
Satisfaction doesn't count as in audible

Think live, it made Ronnie uncomfortable, and possibly may have disrupted the established recording pattern they've had for the last 40 years (which for me would been a jolt they needed)

play CYHMK live with ronnie (pro recorded/post mixed mind)and straight after play CYHMK live @ Glastonbury. Difference is night and day to surely any decent musician.

Now finally someone dares to speak out what were (one of my) thoughts while listening to these tracks...

They're just sounding so incredibly one-dimensional, one could feel and hear why the "modern" Stones are missing a touch of Taylor (and Wyman) magic so much...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 19, 2018 05:37

Hairball
diverseharmonics
BluzDude
DandelionPowderman

SC best gig of the tour

It was almost a 'holy grail' type show for me, and he played a stunning solo on Sway as well for a total of four tunes....almost had tears in my eyes...winking smiley
They also played All Down the Line that night, and had Taylor played on that I might have died and gone to heaven right then and there.
And not forgetting Ronnie (which is sometimes easy to do), but he shined on lap pedal when they played Faraway Eyes.
He's no expert on the lap pedal by a longshot, but his ragtag style is what makes it unique.

*You need a Ron Wood magic marker shellacked setlist of this show to hang on your wall!!
Hairball I’m gonna get that book and look up yer show. I’ll let you know if Taylor’s guitar is drawn in next to ‘Sway’.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 05:46 by 35love.

Date: April 19, 2018 06:11

I'd much prefer a Mick Taylor handwritten setlist lol, but this will do just fine :

The Rolling Stones - Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA , May 20, 2013

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 19, 2018 06:31

Hairball
I'd much prefer a Mick Taylor handwritten setlist lol, but this will do just fine :

Wow, that IS an amazing show. You know I don’t look closely at these shows
too touchy
I did not realize ‘Get Off My Cloud’ open
‘Sway’ with Mick Taylor is dizzying agree
‘One More Shot’ (I dig this tune)
and of course, CYHMK.
Dude I could not believe I got CYHMK and Moonlight Mile my 1st show
cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 06:32 by 35love.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 19, 2018 06:59

35love
Hairball

Wow, that IS an amazing show. You know I don’t look closely at these shows
too touchy
I did not realize ‘Get Off My Cloud’ open
‘Sway’ with Mick Taylor is dizzying agree
‘One More Shot’ (I dig this tune)
and of course, CYHMK.
Dude I could not believe I got CYHMK and Moonlight Mile my 1st show
cheers

I went to this show with Justin (who use to post on here), we had whatever they use to call lucky dips, we were at the very top of Staples (and its very high), the worst seats in the house. We complained (about the sound) to several AEG people and by the 3rd song we got upgraded to the lower level, mid court.
....yes it was the best show I saw of the 50 and counting tour.

Date: April 19, 2018 07:40

diverseharmonics
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
Can't see it myself, Keith clearly loves Mick Taylor being on-board but i don't get that vibe from Mick and Ron.

Jagger seemed annoyed at waiting for Taylor to finish his solo's when he guested before, i mean its ridiculous, being impatient with an amazing solo so that Mick can sing more . Like we don't get enough of Mick singing.confused smiley

Why not from Ron?
Ron should play bass

He can also play harp and sax...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 19, 2018 10:45

Rocky Dijon
matxil
Taylor 2012-2014 was a special case, just like with Wyman.
The chance that they will invite one of the former singers from ABBA on stage are higher than inviting Taylor back.

And with that, you won the debate. I concede everything to you. How could I possibly argue otherwise?

Cheers smiling smiley
Since this thread is basically all about wishful thinking, I wanted to put some wishful thinking in too. They could play Heaven together. Or give a new twist to Miss You.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 19, 2018 11:15

DandelionPowderman
keithsman

Why not from Ron?

Just body language, I'm sure Ronnie thinks the world of Mick Taylor and has the upmost respect for him and involves him on various solo projects, but here we have Taylor on stage with the Stones playing Ronnie's parts (Taylor's parts) like they are supposed to be played. This is a bit different, how would you feel Dande ?
It's going to make Ronnie feel insecure, plus i also think Mick Jagger brought Taylor along in case Ronnie messed up and started boozing etc, this was 2012, Ronnie was still on and off with his addictions up to that point.
It was a clever move from Jagger because it really upped Ronnie's game, Ronnie never looked back. He new at his age if he fell off the wagon again he wouldn't have been able to do his gig, and there is Taylor waiting in the wings just in case. Obviously this is my view and i have no proof the Jagger was hedging his bets but with a lot of money at stake it makes sense, Jagger sensibly covering all outcomes as any good businessman and professional would with hundreds of millions on the table.

Date: April 19, 2018 11:22

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman

Why not from Ron?

Just body language, I'm sure Ronnie thinks the world of Mick Taylor and has the upmost respect for him and involves him on various solo projects, but here we have Taylor on stage with the Stones playing Ronnie's parts (Taylor's parts) like they are supposed to be played. This is a bit different, how would you feel Dande ?
It's going to make Ronnie feel insecure, plus i also think Mick Jagger brought Taylor along in case Ronnie messed up and started boozing etc, this was 2012, Ronnie was still on and off with his addictions up to that point.
It was a clever move from Jagger because it really upped Ronnie's game, Ronnie never looked back. He new at his age if he fell off the wagon again he wouldn't have been able to do his gig, and there is Taylor waiting in the wings just in case. Obviously this is my view and i have no proof the Jagger was hedging his bets but with a lot of money at stake it makes sense, Jagger sensibly covering all outcomes as any good businessman and professional would with hundreds of millions on the table.

Well, firstly Taylor didn't play his parts like they were supposed to be played. He was winging it and played something entirely else. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Like a Stone should smiling smiley

Secondly, I don't think Ronnie cared about Taylor getting a piece of the limelight at all. If I'm not mistaken, he also was instrumental in getting Taylor for the guest spot in the first place.

I've never seen a less insecure person on stage than Ronnie Wood. He just doesn't care about prestige, recognition or how to impress. He's totally within the music and the band's sound (not forgetting the audience here) smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2018 11:32

Mick Taylor is out. Just be happy he got to play with them recently. I remember on this board there were 4 wishes everyone wanted:

1) Mick Taylor to play again with the Stones
2) Stones to play Sway
3) YCAGWYW with choir

All of them happened.

Number 4 (Playing Gomper) will be fullfiled this tour.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 19, 2018 11:37

Don't forget:

5. The Scarf gets to cameo on Scarf Me Up - goal achieved at Hyde Park 2013!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2018 11:39

Ronnie and Mick T did the Jimmy Reed shows together in 2013 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 19, 2018 11:40

Rockman
Ronnie and Mick T did the Jimmy Reed shows together in 2013 ....

thumbs up

Date: April 19, 2018 12:07

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman

Why not from Ron?

Well, firstly Taylor didn't play his parts like they were supposed to be played. He was winging it and played something entirely else. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Like a Stone should smiling smiley

Secondly, I don't think Ronnie cared about Taylor getting a piece of the limelight at all. If I'm not mistaken, he also was instrumental in getting Taylor for the guest spot in the first place.

I've never seen a less insecure person on stage than Ronnie Wood. He just doesn't care about prestige, recognition or how to impress. He's totally within the music and the band's sound (not forgetting the audience here) smiling smiley

That's one way of looking at it winking smiley although a bit shallow, let me just say that Ronnie is a deeply insecure man, as are most driven people in this industry, sure it doesn't show, but i think all Ronnie's lost years to booze were triggered by his insecurity, most alcoholics are very insecure people, as are a lot of showman and comedians etc.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:09

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman

Why not from Ron?

That's one way of looking at it winking smiley although a bit shallow, let me just say that Ronnie is a deeply insecure man, as are most driven people in this industry, sure it doesn't show, but i think all Ronnie's lost years to booze were triggered by his insecurity, most alcoholics are very insecure people, as are a lot of showman and comedians etc.

But now he's sober. And we can tell by his presence (and playing).

Date: April 19, 2018 12:36

Absolutely Dande smiling smiley, he turned the corner, didn't think he had it in him but since he left his ex wife Jo he hasn't looked back, i think he felt trapped in that relationship, he needed to be free. Sally and the twins are the icing on the cake, good luck to Ronnie , a true survivor along with Keith and the rest of them.

These guys were built to last smoking smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 19, 2018 19:09

Often times I am bored with little else to do except follow FB pages and other sites. There was talk of RW bad mouthing MT in a foreign magazine - something about him being a handful but put a guitar in his hands and he's fine. There was also a recording of KR and RW chatting about MT. RW said " His guitar playing intimidates me". I wish I could find the links to share. When I find them I will post for the board. I think MT wished he never joined the Stones. He is a brilliant player and anyone that plays a guitar knows that. He did solo a great deal but KR said in interviews "and rightly so he was that kind of player it gave me the room to sit down on those riffs" Keith has given MT many compliments about his playing. However, I don't think we will ever see him with the band again. It's fun to speculate and assume on this board but none of us knows the real truth unless we are band members or MT. He was simply a guest on the 2012-2013 shows. I think KR would like it very much if he were back but MT probably does not want to do that again,

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: April 19, 2018 21:01

keithsman

Keith certainly does love him.

Date: April 19, 2018 21:04

PhillyFAN
Often times I am bored with little else to do except follow FB pages and other sites. There was talk of RW bad mouthing MT in a foreign magazine - something about him being a handful but put a guitar in his hands and he's fine. There was also a recording of KR and RW chatting about MT. RW said " His guitar playing intimidates me". I wish I could find the links to share. When I find them I will post for the board. I think MT wished he never joined the Stones. He is a brilliant player and anyone that plays a guitar knows that. He did solo a great deal but KR said in interviews "and rightly so he was that kind of player it gave me the room to sit down on those riffs" Keith has given MT many compliments about his playing. However, I don't think we will ever see him with the band again. It's fun to speculate and assume on this board but none of us knows the real truth unless we are band members or MT. He was simply a guest on the 2012-2013 shows. I think KR would like it very much if he were back but MT probably does not want to do that again,

I agree , i think Taylor did it because he was broke, but he looked bemused at being used so little, most nights just on Rambler.

The look on his face when he came on all those nights to Satisfaction and had no sound coming from his guitar and not allowed to do the tiniest solo spot.

Why did they not play CYHMK and Sway more times to showcase his talents, i got the impression Jagger didn't want him there for some reason, so why bring him ?
Well i explained that on another post.

Date: April 19, 2018 21:05

Suddenly can't post images. Damn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 21:05 by GAFF.

Date: April 19, 2018 21:07

keithsman
PhillyFAN

I agree , i think Taylor did it because he was broke, but he looked bemused at being used so little, most nights just on Rambler.

The look on his face when he came on all those nights to Satisfaction and had no sound coming from his guitar and not allowed to do the tiniest solo spot.

Why did they not play CYHMK and Sway more times to showcase his talents, i got the impression Jagger didn't want him there for some reason, so why bring him ?

At Staple Center 2 in 2013, we got him on Sway, Rambler, CYHMK, and Satisfaction (the last one made no sense to me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 21:19 by GAFF.

Date: April 19, 2018 21:37

GAFF
keithsman
PhillyFAN

At Staple Center 2 in 2013, we got him on Sway, Rambler, CYHMK, and Satisfaction (the last one made no sense to me).

I know and it was fantastic, but why only play Sway and CYHMK a few times when it went down so brilliantly with the crowd, its as if Mick J didn't enjoy not getting all the limelight all the time. He thinks he has to command the stage at all times but that makes it boring, for me anyway, Jagger constantly fast walking all over the place and waving all the time pisses me off. Less is more sometimes.
I love how Mick J performed before it became an aerobic workout.
Actually when Mick J performed last year he didn't move so much ( due to age, understandably so ) and concentrated on his singing more and it was so much better. This might indicate that as Mick J gets older and slows down more we will get better vocals from him. I just love Mick when he does his moves in front of the mic stand, he is incredible. Keith said that Mick can work that coffee table, and he really can, no need to go slow jogging all over the stage.

Date: April 19, 2018 21:46

keithsman
Jagger constantly fast walking all over the place and waving all the time pisses me off.

Lol...I can hear the Mick brigade sharpening their spears at this comment.
Be careful keithsman! winking smiley

Date: April 19, 2018 21:55

Hairball
keithsman
Jagger constantly fast walking all over the place and waving all the time pisses me off.

Someone needs to admit it, its true, his stage movements are so rehearsed i know exactly what he will do and where he will go on every song.
The one that pisses me off the most is Miss You. OMG how can you keep playing that one and leave great songs like Memory Motel out, just because it gives Mick his chance to show his aerobics workout.

Keith gets plenty of flak on here from posters with no trouble, why is it Mick and Ronnie are a protected species.

Date: April 19, 2018 22:37

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman

Someone needs to admit it, its true, his stage movements are so rehearsed i know exactly what he will do and where he will go on every song.
The one that pisses me off the most is Miss You. OMG how can you keep playing that one and leave great songs like Memory Motel out, just because it gives Mick his chance to show his aerobics workout.

Keith gets plenty of flak on here from posters with no trouble, why is it Mick and Ronnie are a protected species.

IMO the only one deserving of zero criticism is Charlie.

Date: April 20, 2018 00:12

GAFF
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman

IMO the only one deserving of zero criticism is Charlie.

My only criticism of Charlie would be that due to age he has slowed the tempo of the Stones down a bit of late, it really shows at the start of these mini tours on tracks like Brown Sugar and JJF, but after half a dozen shows Keith seems to push him on and up to speed. Some would say this slow tempo is to help Keith along but i'm not buying into that one. Keith ends up driving the band along and up to speed imho.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...211212213214215216217218219220221...LastNext
Current Page: 216 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home