Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...207208209210211212213214215216217...LastNext
Current Page: 212 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor with Grateful Dead '88
Posted by: resotele ()
Date: February 2, 2018 11:47

Maindefender
resotele
I have a bootleg "out of our dead heads" (Grateful dead covers the Rolling Stones; The Rolling Stones Songs Collection by Grateful Dead & related Bands).
Tracklist :
Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
Wild Horses
Gimme Shelter
The Last Time
Connection
Play With Fire
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Moonlight Mile
performed by Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, Phil Lesh and Friends, New Riders of The Purple Sage with Bob Weir

resotele

Wild Horses was most likely Old And In The Way, bluegrass band Garcia was a member. Garcia did LSTNT briefly in '75 when a band that included Hopkins

I looked it up, you are right

resotele

Re: Mick Taylor with Grateful Dead '88
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 2, 2018 14:53

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
The G Dead just aren't my thing at all. But I made myself watch a show the other day. It was from when Pigpen was still around, and the Godcheauxs were also present. (That woman is tone deaf). But I have to say there were some good moments. Garcia and Weir harmonize well together on vocals. For some reason Mickey Hart was not there, and I have to say Kreutzman was also pretty good.

donna in 1976-1979 was much better. supposedly it was an on stage hearing issue that by the mid 70's was fixed.

1968-1972 though are the prime years for the dead

Donna's pitch became a distraction towards the end, she and husband were let go in February '79. Love the '68 thousand miles an hour GD

Did Taylor hint he would leave the Stones before leaving?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 13, 2018 11:46

Unsolved mystery to me.
In 1973, there a 17 old guy in my college in Sceaux (Paris).. Still remember his face.. Teasing me about the Stones, seemingly well informed.. Told me Taylor had hinted publicly he would soon leave the Stones for other musical ventures, and that he was more interested in this or that.. One year after, the prediction came true.. Still wonder were he did get that from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 11:47 by The Joker.

Re: Did Taylor hint he would leave the Stones before leaving?
Date: March 13, 2018 11:57

You better track him down, and ask him to reveal his sources (as a good reporter would) smiling smiley

Date: March 13, 2018 12:36

He might just have smartly guess it.. The guy was much in jazz and blues at it finest, must have been an avid John Mayall's fan, and thought the Stones were unworthy of Taylor.. Yeah, end of mystery.. I see no other explanations.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 13, 2018 12:42

I've read somewhere that he had an argument over songwriting credits with Mick and Keith and when they said no to his demands he began wanting out.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2018 12:53

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2018 12:53

Silver Dagger
I've read somewhere that he had an argument over songwriting credits with Mick and Keith and when they said no to his demands he began wanting out.

Ironically, it was on Till The Next Goodbye he thought he would get songwriting credits..

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 13, 2018 13:17

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

Ironically, it was on Till The Next Goodbye he thought he would get songwriting credits..

Thought this was Carly Simon's song? Nicked by MJ

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 13, 2018 13:33

Don’t remember any public hints - I was pretty young but read everything I could on the Stones. Including articles in microfiche in the local library (remember that?). The Stones themselves weren’t prepared it seems. Could it be that he was BS’ing you and got lucky?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 13:34 by drbryant.

Date: March 13, 2018 14:33

DandelionPowderman
You better track him down, and ask him to reveal his sources (as a good reporter would) smiling smiley

Right on the spot Bård, I saw you are in the trade too...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 13, 2018 17:52

I believe it is quoted in Massimo Bonanno's FIRST THIRTY YEARS book which is largely a collection of newspaper and magazine listings. I don't think it was quitting exactly, I think it was in reference to TUBULAR BELLS stating he needed another musical outlet that was less limiting. I'm going off memory here, but someone likely has the book.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 13, 2018 18:36

In Stone Alone Bill Wyman writes that Taylor's wife at the time told him on a plane that her husband felt frustrated about his work with the Stones and that he was thinking about leaving.

Date: March 13, 2018 21:23

The Joker
Unsolved mystery to me.
In 1973, there a 17 old guy in my college in Sceaux (Paris).. Still remember his face.. Teasing me about the Stones, seemingly well informed.. Told me Taylor had hinted publicly he would soon leave the Stones for other musical ventures, and that he was more interested in this or that.. One year after, the prediction came true.. Still wonder were he did get that from.

I don't know when this interview (1973) was first released, but in hindsight Taylor is pointing in that direction more or less..

Australia '73

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2018 21:48

windmelody
In Stone Alone Bill Wyman writes that Taylor's wife at the time told him on a plane that her husband felt frustrated about his work with the Stones and that he was thinking about leaving.

yeah some Stones insiders whisper that Rose (his then wife) had a huge responsability in pointing him to the "right" (in retrospect "wrong") direction : exiting the band.

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: March 25, 2018 01:23

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 25, 2018 18:45

Whats the best version of Satisfaction from around 2012-14 with Mick Taylor on Electric guitar and audible?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 25, 2018 20:00

Captainchaos
Whats the best version of Satisfaction from around 2012-14 with Mick Taylor on Electric guitar and audible?

Didn't he only play acoustic and inaudible on Satisfaction?

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 25, 2018 23:40

He actually played a stunning solo on Satisfaction in San Jose on the 50th tour. After that he was on acoustic.

Date: March 25, 2018 23:45

No point in beating dead horses but it always makes one think of the possibilities at this late date.

Date: March 26, 2018 21:24

PhillyFAN
He actually played a stunning solo on Satisfaction in San Jose on the 50th tour. After that he was on acoustic.

Great thanks! and so the hunt for a great qual youtube link begins smiling smiley
Speaking of which. i came across a youtube vid where someone had compiled literally just Taylor solos from playing w/stones 2012/14. its about 7 mins long and where i heard a taylor solo in satisfaction id not heard.

Date: March 26, 2018 21:59

Date: March 26, 2018 22:02

one more 1960. [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 26, 2018 22:15

Thanks, those were the days. thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 27, 2018 00:09

Thank you, PhillyFan. I had never seen that and don't recall reading about it at all. There were a number of great moments with the three of them from 2012 - 2014. What a shame we were denied full shows with all three guitarists. It's all speculation, of course, but I think it would have injected the much-missed spontaneity of the past even though no past or present band member is their younger selves any more.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 27, 2018 00:30

Rocky Dijon
Thank you, PhillyFan. I had never seen that and don't recall reading about it at all. There were a number of great moments with the three of them from 2012 - 2014. What a shame we were denied full shows with all three guitarists. It's all speculation, of course, but I think it would have injected the much-missed spontaneity of the past even though no past or present band member is their younger selves any more.

The Sticky Fingers show was absolutely wonderful but its so upsetting to think how much better it could have been with Taylor involved. They murdered it in their current form, so much more than they should have all at 70 plus, so it just hurts that adding Taylor could have made it an even greater performance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2018 02:02

Rocky Dijon

thumbs up

Date: March 27, 2018 19:57

This is from a Jack Bruce tribute thngy. It's "White Room"from 2016. He still has it. Kinda long tho.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 27, 2018 20:25

Hairball
Rocky Dijon

thumbs up

most definitely! even with rare performances on songs like slipping away or streets of love where he just filled in as 'one of the band', it helped elevated the songs musical performances from before, what was happening in these songs really gave me hope and broadened the boundaries of what was possible with the 3 to include sensitive gentle deft touches and musical performances of romance/integrity, compared with the full front power dynamism of your Rambler or CYHMK.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2018 22:14

PhillyFAN

Played it too good and Ronnie got upset.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...207208209210211212213214215216217...LastNext
Current Page: 212 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home