Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...206207208209210211212213214215216...LastNext
Current Page: 211 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 2, 2018 11:18

Well if you listen to MT solo live recordings (where he was free to do whatever he wanted) you realize that, more often than not, he's not improvising, he's meandering (imo).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 2, 2018 11:45

In retrospect...all the overplaying and "noodling" were a fair price to pay for the many moments of inspiration & genius.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 16:36 by Spud.

Date: January 2, 2018 16:01

dcba
Well if you listen to MT solo live recordings (where he was free to do whatever he wanted) you realize that, more often than not, he's not improvising, he's meandering (imo).

Indeed, but that's what most blue/rock players do: relying on trademark licks etc. Most are ok, some are really good at it. If you want to hear real surprising improvisations you end up listening to jazz players, and even then...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 16:02 by TheflyingDutchman.

Mick Taylor with Grateful Dead '88
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 31, 2018 23:15

He still has the hair in '88!!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 23:18 by Maindefender.

Re: Mick Taylor with Grateful Dead '88
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 31, 2018 23:58

Damn, Jerry sounding pretty ragged. Takes them a little while to get Taylor's sound right but once they get it he goes off as usual and sounds great. Not like its one of the greatest Taylor appearances or anything, but he's his usual good self. Still looked great in 88, but then I remember that from their Hall Of Fame induction that he was still looking long haired and lean. All in all, I feel like it never quite gets going the way it maybe should, but this is late 80s Dead.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 1, 2018 00:42

Funny thing is, the Dead and the Stones have covered lots of the same songs: Little Red Rooser, It's All Over Now, Around and Around...I'm prolly forgeting some!

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 03:26

FrogSugar
Funny thing is, the Dead and the Stones have covered lots of the same songs: Little Red Rooser, It's All Over Now, Around and Around...I'm prolly forgeting some!

Bob Weir once said " We wanted to be the best Rolling Stones cover band in the Bay area."

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 1, 2018 07:12

I was there!
Thanks for the memories.
smileys with beer

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 1, 2018 07:14

FrogSugar

Dont forget Not Fade Away thumbs up

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 1, 2018 07:48

I was at this show too. It was the last of a nine show MSG residency and was a benefit for the Rainforest Action Network. Mick Taylor was the only guest during the first set. Garcia's voice was shot and would give out completely a couple of songs later. The second set vocals were handled by Bob Weir, Brent Mydland and more guests, including Suzanne Vega and Hall & Oates. Jack Casady was there too, although not singing.

smiling smileyRe: Mick Taylor with Grateful Dead '88
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:10

I love Jerry and his MXR Distortion tone thru his Doug Irwin guitar "Tiger" I love the Grateful Dead , nothing like it and nothing ever will come close .Captain Trips who gave me so much joy and happiness thru his guitar and angelic voice .This is a real boost for me seeing this with Mick Taylor which I have seen this and heard this before but yet still gives me a jolt of lighting into my blood making me oh so happy just when I needed it the most .A very big Thank You to Maindefender for posting this and to everyone remember Jerry Loves you

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:29

Mathijs, it looks like Mick Taylor is playing thru a Brownface Fender Twin Reverb with the Oxblood grille cloth .Does it look like this to you ? I am not sure if this Twin has reverb as the reverb was introduced to the Fender amp lineup late Brownface era on the Vibroverb if I remember correctly because it certainly was in the Fender amp family when the lineup went to the Blackface era shortly after .Love to know your thoughts on this please ? I do have a Fender Brownface Super amp with 2x10 with Tremelo and with the Wheat grill cloth.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:43

Mick Taylor played with so many big and not so big names (Mayall, Dylan, Jack Bruce, Grateful Dead, Alvin Lee, Mike Oldfield, Carla Olson, Jimmy Wood etc.) and nothing came of it. Somehow only made a long lasting impression with The Rolling Stones. His solo albums are mostly forgettable, I hardly listen to them. (I probably like A Stone's Throw with the bonus tracks the most.)
Just sad... A lost soul.

Date: February 1, 2018 13:47

FrogSugar

plus
not fade away
you win again
dancing in the streets (well mick did this one)
I'm a king bee
walkin the dog
I just want to make love to you

did both bands to johnny b goode and roll over Beethoven?

Date: February 1, 2018 13:57

frenki09
Mick Taylor played with so many big and not so big names (Mayall, Dylan, Jack Bruce, Grateful Dead, Alvin Lee, Mike Oldfield, Carla Olson, Jimmy Wood etc.) and nothing came of it. Somehow only made a long lasting impression with The Rolling Stones. His solo albums are mostly forgettable, I hardly listen to them. (I probably like A Stone's Throw with the bonus tracks the most.)
Just sad... A lost soul.

There came brilliant live albums out of it (Dylan's Real Live and Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 13:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: February 1, 2018 17:51

Sing me Back Home: [www.youtube.com] ( I know the Stones never did it but Keith has done some great solo versions)- This GD version from the infamous Venetta, OR creamery benefit in 1972 is just gorgeous

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 1, 2018 18:55

frenki09
Mick Taylor played with so many big and not so big names (Mayall, Dylan, Jack Bruce, Grateful Dead, Alvin Lee, Mike Oldfield, Carla Olson, Jimmy Wood etc.)

Little Feat too.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: February 1, 2018 19:46

I have a bootleg "out of our dead heads" (Grateful dead covers the Rolling Stones; The Rolling Stones Songs Collection by Grateful Dead & related Bands).
Tracklist :
Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
Wild Horses
Gimme Shelter
The Last Time
Connection
Play With Fire
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Moonlight Mile
performed by Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, Phil Lesh and Friends, New Riders of The Purple Sage with Bob Weir

resotele

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 1, 2018 19:49

Who or what was the connection that got Mick Taylor invited to the Rainforest Action Network benefit? Sam Cutler?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 1, 2018 19:59

Connection might have just been that Taylor was in NYC at the time. He guested with a few other acts both before and after the Dead MSG show.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: February 1, 2018 20:38

The G Dead just aren't my thing at all. But I made myself watch a show the other day. It was from when Pigpen was still around, and the Godcheauxs were also present. (That woman is tone deaf). But I have to say there were some good moments. Garcia and Weir harmonize well together on vocals. For some reason Mickey Hart was not there, and I have to say Kreutzman was also pretty good.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 1, 2018 20:43

Palace Revolution 2000
The G Dead just aren't my thing at all. But I made myself watch a show the other day. It was from when Pigpen was still around, and the Godcheauxs were also present. (That woman is tone deaf). But I have to say there were some good moments. Garcia and Weir harmonize well together on vocals. For some reason Mickey Hart was not there, and I have to say Kreutzman was also pretty good.

Mickey Hart left the band in February 1971, extricating himself after his father (who briefly managed the group) embezzled $70,000 from the band. He returned in October 1974.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 20:44 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 22:33

In 1988 Jerry hadn't fully recovered his skills after the coma but by summer 1989 he was firing on all cylinders. Some of my favorite dead shows are from 1989 and 1990.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 1, 2018 23:14

FrogSugar

A real dichotomy there. The Stones were perhaps the best cover band of all time, reshaping barely known blues and r&b recordings into something more palatable, without losing the original spirit of the song. On the bottom end of the scale were the Grateful Dead.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: February 1, 2018 23:34

Garcia and the GD did Dylan better than Dylan ever did- if Garcia's backing vocals and following guitar solo starting at the 5:20 mark don't give you goosebumps then we'll just agree to disagree

Desolation Row, Alpine Valley 1989; [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 23:42 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 1, 2018 23:46

resotele
I have a bootleg "out of our dead heads" (Grateful dead covers the Rolling Stones; The Rolling Stones Songs Collection by Grateful Dead & related Bands).
Tracklist :
Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
Wild Horses
Gimme Shelter
The Last Time
Connection
Play With Fire
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Moonlight Mile
performed by Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, Phil Lesh and Friends, New Riders of The Purple Sage with Bob Weir

resotele

Wild Horses was most likely Old And In The Way, bluegrass band Garcia was a member. Garcia did LSTNT briefly in '75 when a band that included Hopkins

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 2, 2018 00:11

Palace Revolution 2000

Obviously you don't have to, but if you're not a fan I always recommend The Grateful Dead Movie. They do the impossible and make a Grateful Dead show look like the most fun concert ever. It does a really good job IMO of trimming the fat from their shows and getting even casual fans really into it. Again, just a suggestion if anyone was trying to get into them. I feel thats a good barometer. If it does nothing for you then nothing probably will.

Re: The Grateful Dead Movie
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 2, 2018 00:20

RollingFreak

Obviously you don't have to, but if you're not a fan I always recommend The Grateful Dead Movie. They do the impossible and make a Grateful Dead show look like the most fun concert ever.

Nice dose of that fun here > "US Blues"

Date: February 2, 2018 06:46

mnewman505
In 1988 Jerry hadn't fully recovered his skills after the coma but by summer 1989 he was firing on all cylinders. Some of my favorite dead shows are from 1989 and 1990.

agreed

Date: February 2, 2018 06:47

Palace Revolution 2000

donna in 1976-1979 was much better. supposedly it was an on stage hearing issue that by the mid 70's was fixed.

1968-1972 though are the prime years for the dead

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...206207208209210211212213214215216...LastNext
Current Page: 211 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home