Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2017 21:55

PhillyFAN
Not really fresh but this is from a year ago. He still can play incredibly.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, never seen this before!

It starts a bit shakely, and made me wonder if that's really Mick Taylor, but once one gets to the solo part, damn he starts flying. I am not usually a big fan of extended solos, or of those old school guitar hero things, but Taylor has always been an expection to a rule (of course, not only him but I think one really has to have some point and personality in doing that - as far as I am concerned, the value of guitar soloing has always been a bit over-estimated - and over-done - business in rock music). There is just something in his fluidity and touch and musical imagination/story telling abilities that gets me every time, and I could go on listening for hours him doing that. 'Play that guitar boy' indeed!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 21:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 7, 2017 23:08

Doxa, I was at that show. The best bit (in my opinion) was not actually this, but the Crossroads encore - a bit shambolic overall, but MT walked on halfway through with Terry Reid, plugged his Les Paul in and took a quick solo that killed everyone dead - twelve bars and out, but worth every note (about three minutes in):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 23:08 by Stoneburst.

Date: November 7, 2017 23:46

Stoneburst
Doxa, I was at that show. The best bit (in my opinion) was not actually this, but the Crossroads encore - a bit shambolic overall, but MT walked on halfway through with Terry Reid, plugged his Les Paul in and took a quick solo that killed everyone dead - twelve bars and out, but worth every note (about three minutes in):

Oh cheers! Yeah, short and sweet. And also a nice small speech by Taylor after the song. It must've been a great night!

Since I've not followed Taylor's latest doings, or heard anything, was this his latest public performance? A year ago?!

- Doxa

Date: November 8, 2017 00:14

OpenG
Yeah Rocks Off has those bluesy ending licks way to short.Also MT's way to short studio solo on heartbreaker. That solo along with little wing have to be up there as the greatest short solos on record.

True that "Rocks Off" is not probably the best Mick Taylor showcase, but I still think generally EXILE and particularly "Rocks Off" is such a perfect - funny word to describe that musical chaos!grinning smiley - thing that I cannot really critizise any production-or arrangement decision. As far as "Rocks Off" - for me one of the best rock and roll recordings they or anyone ever put on tape - go, I think the whole musical landscape that goes through the song is such a rich and tasty cake that I don't hear 'anything' missing/cooked wrongly. I think it was Mathijs who said a long time ago, that once one thinks that all is heard and done, comes in that Taylor solo in the very beginning of the song, like adding one dimension more (and leaves the desire to want all that more...). To me that's 'icing the cake' at its best, and I can only salute the master minds behind the mixing desk.

Anyway, over-all it is an interesting question if Taylor was 'under-used' in the studio (at least if we look at the finished deals). As far as the ultimate masterpieces he was heavily involved - STICKY FINGERS and EXILE - go, I can't really complain. And as far as the two others go, in GOATS HEAD SOUP and IT'S ONLY R&R one can hear him there playing quite a lot of trademark fluidy taylorian solos and things like that. Of course, nothing compared to the extent we can 'hear' him doing such things in the concerts (think of especially 1973 European Tour), but I take studio things and concerts being two different animals, and to be judged by a different criterion.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 00:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 8, 2017 00:39

On the other hand - the glimmers cut loose taylor in the studio or they just did not care and let him do his outro solos on sway, his epic looping outro solo on MM and his outro solo on CYHMK and outro wah wah on 100 years ago, and on winter.

With Keith MIA on sway and moonlight I guess it was the right time to showcase MT.

I think MT worked well with MJ on GHS

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 8, 2017 15:07

I personally believe Mick Taylor is one of the most brilliant guitarists and in a class with Jimi Hendrix. His talent always stands out and he is still a brilliant player. I think he probably has had enough of "show business" and wants to enjoy his senior years.He has never made the money that made touring life easy and at his age climbing in and out of vans and hauling your own equipment from gig to gig is not worth it for him.I hope he made enough money from the 50 and counting tour to enjoy his life in quiet retirement and maybe playing an occasional gig because he wants to play.Many old bluesman had to play until their 80's because they never made enough money to retire comfortably despite being brilliant as well.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 8, 2017 15:29

What a f-ckin good player he is. Hats off. Brilliant fantastic Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 8, 2017 15:30

why on earth is this man not playing with the band he helped shape and recreate.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 8, 2017 15:38

Redhotcarpet
why on earth is this man not playing with the band he helped shape and recreate.

he did help shape, but the 'recreate' part, not too sure about that..

Date: November 8, 2017 15:43

OpenG
On the other hand - the glimmers cut loose taylor in the studio or they just did not care and let him do his outro solos on sway, his epic looping outro solo on MM and his outro solo on CYHMK and outro wah wah on 100 years ago, and on winter.

With Keith MIA on sway and moonlight I guess it was the right time to showcase MT.

I think MT worked well with MJ on GHS

Well, it worked pretty nicely on tracks where Keith played, too, like on All Down The Line, If You Can't Rock Me, Time Waits For No One, If You Really Want To Be My Friend and Through The Lonely Nights smiling smiley

Date: November 8, 2017 16:09

I certainly agree with you. It seems the tracks with Keith was not able to been on are more melodic and creative then the usual rock n roll. Somewhat adventurous for the Stones and those songs were brilliant. It makes one wonder what the music could have evolved into if he did not leave. I am sure the would always be a rock n roll band but put out a few brilliant master pieces here and here like Moonlight Mile.

Date: November 8, 2017 16:19

Not sure if that's why, as Keith played important parts on (and co-wrote) songs like TWFNO, Let It Loose and If You Really Want To Be My Friend.

But Taylor certainly shone on melodic songs. Then again, he probably would have killed it on stuff like Paint It Black and Ruby Tuesday, too, had he played on them. They're great as they are, though - my point was that lots of old Stones-tunes are melodic as well, albeit different.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 8, 2017 16:33

PhillyFAN
I personally believe Mick Taylor is one of the most brilliant guitarists and in a class with Jimi Hendrix.

Imho the Hendrix comparison is ill-advised. Live Hendrix never played a song the same way while MT tended to rely on the same licks same solo night after night.

Listen to the 73 live recordings. It can get slightly predictable at times like ; "well it's 2.52 into "Gimme Shelter" Taylor is just about to play his solo. He'll start on the ninth position and plays there for 8 seconds, then go up the neck etc etc". Like clockwork.

Hendrix never was predictable.

Date: November 8, 2017 16:36

«Never» is a strong word, though. I bet you'll find Hendrix bending the same b-string at the very same point (in the e minor pentatonic scale) in Little Wing, for instance smoking smiley

Date: November 8, 2017 17:53

MT's Tone to die for - Carla Olson - with an ace and the lady is gone.

MT body of work with his collaborations are what we have and his two solo records when he left the stones.

[www.youtube.com]

What a tone - melodic wonderment

Date: November 9, 2017 00:13

DandelionPowderman
«Never» is a strong word, though. I bet you'll find Hendrix bending the same b-string at the very same point (in the e minor pentatonic scale) in Little Wing, for instance smoking smiley

smileys with beer

Date: November 9, 2017 12:23

DandelionPowderman

That's a moot point your Honor!
Seriously now : when I listen to all the live tapes from Europe 73 I sometimes feel a bit of fatigue with Taylor's solos. They're brilliant for sure but they have a slight repetitive thing to them.
Maybe it was a good thing MT left in 1974... Otherwise the 1975 TOTA would habe sounded like the 72-73 tours only with longer solos.

Date: November 9, 2017 12:33

dcba
DandelionPowderman

That's a moot point your Honor!
Seriously now : when I listen to all the live tapes from Europe 73 I sometimes feel a bit of fatigue with Taylor's solos. They're brilliant for sure but they have a slight repetitive thing to them.
Maybe it was a good thing MT left in 1974... Otherwise the 1975 TOTA would habe sounded like the 72-73 tours only with longer solos.

I see your point, of course, and you're not wrong, imo – although there will always be exceptions (which was my point smiling smiley )

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 9, 2017 16:21

In '75 we would have been able to hear Taylor on Wild Horses, If You Can't Rock Me, Get Off My Cloud, and It's Only Rock n Roll... sad smiley

...and not just for solos.

Date: November 9, 2017 18:10

TravelinMan
In '75 we would have been able to hear Taylor on Wild Horses, If You Can't Rock Me, Get Off My Cloud, and It's Only Rock n Roll... sad smiley

Sure but would they have played these songs for US audiences or would they have finished "milking" the GHS material? Imho the setlists for the 75 tour would have been "73 pt.II" with a few songs from IOOR added.

Said differently : the shape and setlists of the 75 tour were in great part adapted for the new band configuration : If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud you Gotta Move were tailor-made for Ron Wood.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 9, 2017 18:58

dcba
TravelinMan

Imho the setlists for the 75 tour would have been "73 pt.II" with a few songs from IOOR added.

In 75 they played the complete 73 set - less dancing with mr d - plus the 2 Preston songs and 3 IORR songs added.

C

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 14, 2017 17:07

I'm sure it would have altered slightly, but I don't see how IORR songs would be omitted, especially the title track and If You Can't Rock Me. Jagger is widely known to change things up.

Date: November 15, 2017 21:51

Mick Taylor - Stranger in Town

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 15, 2017 21:58

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor with Chuck St Troy - Somebodys Enjoying my Home

Date: November 15, 2017 22:02

[www.youtube.com]

West La Fadeaway - Gratful Dead

Date: November 17, 2017 20:12

[www.youtube.com]

Adam Bomb - Jammin' with Rolling Stone Mick Taylor

Date: November 17, 2017 20:18

[www.youtube.com]

MT Jamming

Date: November 19, 2017 04:02

Reeling and Rocking.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 31, 2017 17:28

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 2, 2018 10:25

dcba
PhillyFAN
I personally believe Mick Taylor is one of the most brilliant guitarists and in a class with Jimi Hendrix.

Imho the Hendrix comparison is ill-advised. Live Hendrix never played a song the same way while MT tended to rely on the same licks same solo night after night.

Listen to the 73 live recordings. It can get slightly predictable at times like ; "well it's 2.52 into "Gimme Shelter" Taylor is just about to play his solo. He'll start on the ninth position and plays there for 8 seconds, then go up the neck etc etc". Like clockwork.

Hendrix never was predictable.

The Hendrix comparison is ill-advised because he was a star with a band while Mick Taylor was the lead guitarist who played Jagger/Richards Songs. He could not have improvised like it was expected from Jimi Hendrix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home