Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: October 22, 2017 15:38

Masters of War. Great guitar.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 22, 2017 16:31

Any news about Mick Taylor?

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: October 22, 2017 16:57

There is a FB group for Mick Taylor " Time waits for no one".t
This is from Rolling Stone magazine interview Jagger Remembers.

What about the contribution of Mick Taylor to the band in these years?
I think he had a big contribution. He made it very musical. He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don't have now. Neither Keith nor [Ronnie Wood] plays that kind of style. It was very good for me working with him. Charlie and I were talking about this the other day, because we could sit down – I could sit down – with Mick Taylor, and he would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting, and he was very pretty, and it gave me something to follow, to bang off. Some people think that's the best version of the band that existed.

What do you think?
They're all interesting periods. They're all different. I obviously can't say if I think Mick Taylor was the best, because it sort of trashes the period the band is in now.

Why did Mick Taylor leave
I still don't really know.

He never explained?
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.

On musical issues?
Everything. I'm guessing.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2017 17:47

PhillyFAN

I think he had a big contribution. He made it very musical. He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don't have now. Neither Keith nor [Ronnie Wood] plays that kind of style. It was very good for me working with him. Charlie and I were talking about this the other day, because we could sit down – I could sit down – with Mick Taylor, and he would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting, and he was very pretty, and it gave me something to follow, to bang off. Some people think that's the best version of the band that existed.

What do you think?
They're all interesting periods. They're all different. I obviously can't say if I think Mick Taylor was the best, because it sort of trashes the period the band is in now.

Why did Mick Taylor leave
I still don't really know.

He never explained?
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.

On musical issues?
Everything. I'm guessing.

No mention of drugs or health issues then.
No mention of not receiving composer credits, then.

Obviously the CEO didn't conduct a proper 'Exit interview' with his departing employee.

Date: October 22, 2017 21:52

True. I have read he is owed money as well It is only what I have read.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 22, 2017 22:05

Me for exemple sir Jagger.

PhillyFAN

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2017 00:26

PhillyFAN

What do you think?

Mick's detailed answer to question number one answers number two as to who he really thinks was the best (without actually saying it)...I can't imagine him ever saying anything like that about Ronnie.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 1, 2017 20:33

Back to the title of the post
"Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now"
What is doing MT in the present time?
He gives shows? Or stop touring?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2017 00:58

Man, talk about falling off the face of the earth. You would have thought Mick Taylor would have parlayed his short stint re-united with the Stones to advance his career. Do a few shows, open up for big acts. He was on TV BEFORE he hooked up with the Stones again. You'd think he would have shown up AFTER. To be honest he didn't look all that healthy. The sylph from the early 70s morphed into a lump. I hope he's okay. But how would we know?

Date: November 2, 2017 02:07

Seriously...he could have cashed in on his stint during the 50 and Counting Tour...touring as the Mick Taylor Band in venues larger than the usual dive bars.
Maybe even land a major record deal?! smiling smiley Perhaps he doesn't have a manager to take care of these things? Or he simply doesn't care any more?
Hope he's healthy and happy whatever he's doing...as long as it's not eating donuts and drinking gallons of ale while sitting on his couch watching videos of his glory years.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 2, 2017 18:18

I think we've seen the last of him. He's probably retired (fed up) from the show biz industry. Good for him. He deserves every penny from the reuion tour. Hope he lives to see the release of more live recordings from the Stones in '69-'73.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 2, 2017 18:27

It is a little bit sad, an ingenious musician with extraordinary guitar player skills, acknowledged by his colleagues all over, but only three (3) studio albums since he left the Stones, i.e. in 43 years. Unfortunately he wasn't engaged in Sticky Fingers Live, too. His revival with the band didn't continue, it is a shame ...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 2, 2017 18:32

Yeah but not surprising. He was barely doing too much beforehand. All these guys are 70 now. Unless you're making money, or really love it, it makes sense you wouldn't continue. This thrust back into the spotlight was the first 90% of people had seen of him since he left the band. In all honesty, he never seemed THAT interested in continuing for the last 30 years. He hasn't done all that much since Bob Dylan's tour to my knowledge. It made perfect sense to me that he crawled out of his hole for this thing then crawled right back in. I agree its sad for a man of his talent but not unexpected. At least he even came back at all is the way I see it.

Date: November 2, 2017 18:57

There is plenty post Stones/Dylan stuff from Taylor where he played really good. The great names didn't necessarily get the best out of him.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 2, 2017 19:49

he really did turn his back on the Stones, out of resentment, and to try his luck on his own.

Rather than go for it, he chose to lay back and see what happened.

he peaked in the Stones, then got mad, and went on to ..not much, but his sporadic
collaborations with other artists are good.

just not up there with his Stones years

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 2, 2017 23:40

For what it worth..
The Brian Jones-Mick Taylor-Ronnie Wood spot seems the most difficult one in the five-piece band which was originally the Stones until Bill Wyman left (and before Ian Stewart had to quit as official sixtieth member).
BJ died after seven years
MT gave up after five years
RW was the only one who made it on the long run.
All musical skill aside,being Keith Richards counterpart adds another challenge.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 3, 2017 00:31

I don't think so. Obviously its easy to say with hindsight but its a variety of things. Brian was a lost soul. Same as the Syd Barretts, Peter Greens, those types of guys from that era. Very talented, too far out and it consumed them. Thats not really on the Stones in my opinion, thats them.

Taylor, on top of the fact that he was very young, was also the first replacement member. They basically stifled him. Granted, his work post Stones maybe shows he didn't have much to give, but he claimed and I feel its accepted he did write things and didn't get credit. He could have left well enough alone but he wanted more. Thats more than understandable.

Ronnie on the other hand is a completely different case. He was a known name already AND already fine to take that sideman position like he did in Rod's case. Ronnie was the best of all worlds for them. I don't think he was EVER intimated about being Keith's counterpart, he just enjoyed being along for the ride. Again, he already had that role in other bands and was definitely treated way nicer because of it. I think on a level they saw him as a peer, not an employee. Very similar to Joe Walsh's situation in the Eagles, almost to a tee. They admired him but brought him in as an employee. He was an asset to them but hopefully wouldn't challenge them. And he didn't, he goes with whatever they want, which is a godsend for them and not a sure thing. Same for Ronnie with the Stones. He doesn't ruffle feathers but they also gave him a much longer leash. Taylor, for lack of a better term, was basically a young boy they lured in and used up. Maybe unintentionally, but I believe they saw Ronnie as more of a peer than they ever saw Taylor cause Ronnie already came in with outside success. I don't think that role's difficult, I think they got very lucky with the third person they found in it. Also, you could argue Ronnie knew a good thing and sacrificed possible success on his own for being a cog in a machine that'll last forever.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 3, 2017 00:48

...really ,nobody can give us fresh news of him...!!

Date: November 3, 2017 03:12

Not really fresh but this is from a year ago. He still can play incredibly.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 3, 2017 10:24

RollingFreak
I don't think so. Obviously its easy to say with hindsight but its a variety of things. Brian was a lost soul. Same as the Syd Barretts, Peter Greens, those types of guys from that era. Very talented, too far out and it consumed them. Thats not really on the Stones in my opinion, thats them.

Taylor, on top of the fact that he was very young, was also the first replacement member. They basically stifled him. Granted, his work post Stones maybe shows he didn't have much to give, but he claimed and I feel its accepted he did write things and didn't get credit. He could have left well enough alone but he wanted more. Thats more than understandable.

Ronnie on the other hand is a completely different case. He was a known name already AND already fine to take that sideman position like he did in Rod's case. Ronnie was the best of all worlds for them. I don't think he was EVER intimated about being Keith's counterpart, he just enjoyed being along for the ride. Again, he already had that role in other bands and was definitely treated way nicer because of it. I think on a level they saw him as a peer, not an employee. Very similar to Joe Walsh's situation in the Eagles, almost to a tee. They admired him but brought him in as an employee. He was an asset to them but hopefully wouldn't challenge them. And he didn't, he goes with whatever they want, which is a godsend for them and not a sure thing. Same for Ronnie with the Stones. He doesn't ruffle feathers but they also gave him a much longer leash. Taylor, for lack of a better term, was basically a young boy they lured in and used up. Maybe unintentionally, but I believe they saw Ronnie as more of a peer than they ever saw Taylor cause Ronnie already came in with outside success. I don't think that role's difficult, I think they got very lucky with the third person they found in it. Also, you could argue Ronnie knew a good thing and sacrificed possible success on his own for being a cog in a machine that'll last forever.

I think the main difference between Ronnie and his predecessors is personality. He is easy to work with.

Date: November 7, 2017 16:10

Nice article about Mick Taylor's guitar playing.

[songmango.com]

Date: November 7, 2017 16:13

Ha! I just read (and commented on it) on Facebook. Nice article indeed, although I would have chosen If You Can't Rock Me instead of Rocks Off, where we barely hear him.

Date: November 7, 2017 16:44

I agree1

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 7, 2017 17:31

it is a good piece, but no mention of his playing on Get Your Ya Yas out.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2017 18:44

PhillyFAN

[songmango.com]

MT was a great guitarist, but to say that

"when Taylor was on the stage or in the studio, the band’s musical IQ went up by a factor of two"

or

"MT left The Rolling Stones and with him went much of the band’s instrumental depth – its blues-infused texture and flare"

is just a huge load of Bull S..

The credits explain a lot

"Peter Wendel is a journalist ... He's ridden legendary Grateful Dead runs"

C

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 7, 2017 19:38

Others worthy of mention:

Slow Blues
Stranger In This Town
Stray Cat Blues - One of the best live solos in rock history
Within An Ace
Heartbreaker - London 73
Cant stop - with Alvin Lee 1981
Masters Of War - Live 1984
Angie - 1973 Brussels
YCAGWYW - Philly Special - Great Solo and Brilliant Octave Riff Over Chorus

Date: November 7, 2017 19:44

[www.youtube.com]

can stop starts at 17.10 with Alvin Lee.

Date: November 7, 2017 19:49

Yeah Rocks Off has those bluesy ending licks way to short.Also MT's way to short studio solo on heartbreaker. That solo along with little wing have to be up there as the greatest short solos on record.

Date: November 7, 2017 19:52

PhillyFAN

[songmango.com]

Nice article, thanks. thumbs up

"The Stones never sounded quite the same, or quite as great after he left".

"The cake remained, but all that tasty icing was gone".

"when Taylor was on the stage or in the studio, the band’s musical IQ went up by a factor of two".

"he’s responsible for spinning out much of the gold contained in the band’s “Golden Era” – a sublime period of output that ran from ’68 through ’72 ".

"Taylor’s smooth and technically precise lyrical touch...provided the perfect contrast to Keith’s jagged, slash-and-burn style of play".

Hard to argue with any of that.

The Tumbling Dice version from '72 is truly mesmerizing, as is pretty much every single tune he ever graced with the Stones - be it studio or live.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: November 7, 2017 20:14

"The cake remained, but all that tasty icing was gone".

I love Taylor's soloing when it's actually time for a solo. But it became too much icing for my taste... Sometimes you need to not play any fancy licks at all for five minutes, otherwise those licks will lose their effect.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home