Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...202203204205206207208209210211212...LastNext
Current Page: 207 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: June 16, 2017 10:30

PaintMonkeyManBlack
PhillyFAN

I don't think younger Stones only know the Ron Wood-version at all. I'm pretty sure the Brian era is the one they know best, though, as most of the material they play comes from that era.

People have the internet, remember smiling smiley

Most of material played is from the Taylor/Wood era.

Jones Era
Jumping Jack Flash
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Satisfaction

Taylor Era
All Down The Line (by request)
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

Wood Era
Out Of Control
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Miss You
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Start Me Up

In between Jones/Taylor
Gimme Shelter
You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)

True, but what I meant was that the era with most songs in the setlist is Brian's smiling smiley YCAGWYW was performed (with Brian) in 1968, so I'd say that's a Brian era song. Same with You Got The Silver, which he played on on LIB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 10:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 16, 2017 16:11

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
PhillyFAN

I don't think younger Stones only know the Ron Wood-version at all. I'm pretty sure the Brian era is the one they know best, though, as most of the material they play comes from that era.

Jones Era
Jumping Jack Flash
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction

Taylor Era
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

Wood Era
Out Of Control
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

In between Jones/Taylor
Gimme Shelter

True, but what I meant was that the era with most songs in the setlist is Brian's smiling smiley YCAGWYW was performed (with Brian) in 1968, so I'd say that's a Brian era song. Same with You Got The Silver, which he played on on LIB.

You are right Dandy. I always tend to forget about the Brian Jones era because I have never seen them live with Brian. i was speaking from that context. The Ronnie Wood era is great as well. I'm just daydreaming of all Stones playing together again. Nice daydream tho!

Date: June 16, 2017 16:16

PhillyFAN
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
PhillyFAN

Jones Era
Jumping Jack Flash
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction

Taylor Era
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

Wood Era
Out Of Control
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

In between Jones/Taylor
Gimme Shelter

You are right Dandy. I always tend to forget about the Brian Jones era because I have never seen them live with Brian. i was speaking from that context. The Ronnie Wood era is great as well. I'm just daydreaming of all Stones playing together again. Nice daydream tho!

Keep on dreaming! thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 16, 2017 19:30

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
I want him back as much as you, but his soloing on Sway probably impressed 5% at most of the audience in LA. To the other 95%, it wouldn't have mattered to them if it was Ronnie playing it. They wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Again ridiculous and false - no offense.

Lol I mean I don't even have a response. Its neither but ok. Just chalk it up to another thing we simply disagree on grinning smiley . I'm as baffled by your comment as you are of mine. The Eagles prove, even though its been clear for decades, that today's audiences don't care who's in a band! They care about a name, they care about the hits, they care about a good nostalgic time. Thats why Stones fans get annoyed with the Stones, Springsteen fans get annoyed with Springsteen, Tom Petty fans get annoyed with Tom Petty. Because they cater to the 90% and not the 10% of hardcores. But hey, it sells so I don't judge them for not changing. Its on the stupid concert public that has gotten stupider with each passing day.

Just my two cents though. I'm not as angry as I seem.

No you don't sound angry, just a bit misguided. winking smiley

Again, the tickets were selling poorly at the recent Las Vegas shows (and Desert Trip). Yes they were overpriced, but also many people were either bored and/or weren't willing to see the same old Stones show again.

Having some "Fresh blood" ala Mick Taylor back with the Stones is what the Stones world needs (casual fan or not), and dropping prices back to normal might also be of help.

How do you know that? I haven't seen any indications of many people being bored, and never have I heard that specified from the masses as a reason for not going to a Stones-show.

Didn't the cancellation have anything to do with the ONE Vegas show that sold poorly?

I was implying that people were bored with the thought of seeing the Stones again based on what everyone I know had told me prior to the shows. My sister, bro-in-law, cousins, niece, many friends- young and old alike, and a few who might be considered diehards (but not in comparison to most on this board) - aka the general masses/casual fans. To paraphrase what I was hearing "Way too expensive"..."Same old song and dance"..."didn't they just play here"?..."no Mick Taylor"?!!!..."WTF"?!!!...etc., etc., etc. Normally, they would all see the Stones when in town (and some would even travel to Vegas), but not at those prices and not for the same "boring" show. And that recent mini tour wasn't the first time I've heard all of the above.

Tickets were selling poorly for both Vegas shows prior to the first show cancellation and you would know that if you were looking at the sales map the way I was on a daily basis hoping for price drops - many sections were still available for both shows. In fact tickets were selling so poorly for the second show, I was able to pick up a pair of floor seats for apprx. $250 each - a fraction of the original $800 face value per ticket. Might have been due to the prior show cancelling, but usually scalpers sell tickets to make a profit, and it seemed the secondary market was flooded. As for Desert Trip - while no fault of the Stones alone- it was such a poor seller that they were practically giving tickets away in the week prior to the shows...as low as $275 for a 3 day PIT pass.

**edit: The tour prior (Zip Code), everyone I know in the L.A. area wasn't even willing to make the short drive down to San Diego to see the Stones - the only show in all of California. I have a few friends who did go to the show, but they all live down in that area. As for the people I know that didn't go, the thought of the same old show, overpriced tickets, and no Mick Taylor were all contributing factors in their decision to basically "boycott" the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 19:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 16, 2017 19:43

Hairball
I was implying that people were bored with the thought of seeing the Stones again based on what everyone I know had told me prior to the shows. My sister, bro-in-law, cousins, niece, many friends- young and old alike, and a few who might be considered diehards (but not in comparison to most on this board) - aka the general masses/casual fans. To paraphrase what I was hearing "Way too expensive"..."Same old song and dance"..."didn't they just play here"?..."no Mick Taylor"?!!!..."WTF"?!!!...etc., etc., etc.

I'm fascinated by what "the general masses/casual fans" think of the band today. Do you think, for example, that most of them even know enough about Mick Taylor and his contributions to the band decades ago to make his appearing with them a deciding factor in purchasing a ticket?

Date: June 16, 2017 19:47

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
I was implying that people were bored with the thought of seeing the Stones again based on what everyone I know had told me prior to the shows. My sister, bro-in-law, cousins, niece, many friends- young and old alike, and a few who might be considered diehards (but not in comparison to most on this board) - aka the general masses/casual fans. To paraphrase what I was hearing "Way too expensive"..."Same old song and dance"..."didn't they just play here"?..."no Mick Taylor"?!!!..."WTF"?!!!...etc., etc., etc.

I'm fascinated by what "the general masses/casual fans" think of the band today. Do you think, for example, that most of them even know enough about Mick Taylor and his contributions to the band decades ago to make his appearing with them a deciding factor in purchasing a ticket?

I can't speak for the general masses in general, but most of my friends who could be considered "general masses" are fully aware. I don't think my sister or niece would know or care, but my bro-in-law, cousins, and most friends definitely do.

edit: Most all of them saw Mick Taylor when he guested with them and then became fully aware (possibly even my sis and niece) which resulted in all of them being spoiled after seeing such musicianship. So yes, without Mick Taylor, the desire to see them again was no longer there - or at least not as much - by most everyone I know. Throw in way overpriced tickets, same setlists, and it was a no-brainer for them. Why pay more for something that's not as good?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 19:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 16, 2017 22:34

I am a huge fan but this will be my first tour since 1990, I won't visit even one concert, although zurich is only one hour away. I flew to hyde park and saw three shows in 2014 but now its enough with these prices, same setlist, same show... So yes, there are some more thinking that way. Anyway I will take my daily dose of bootlegs further. Love the band but ain't not "under their thumb" lol

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 17, 2017 00:24

deardoctor
I am a huge fan but this will be my first tour since 1990, I won't visit even one concert, although zurich is only one hour away. I flew to hyde park and saw three shows in 2014 but now its enough with these prices, same setlist, same show... So yes, there are some more thinking that way. Anyway I will take my daily dose of bootlegs further. Love the band but ain't not "under their thumb" lol
I would probably say the same. However, this year or next year will be the last time they play due to age. Therefore, I am going for a last goodbye. I would regret if I didn't.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 17, 2017 18:49

mtaylor
However, this year or next year will be the last time they play due to age.

Lol, you're probably right, but it has to be pointed out this has been said for the last 20 years, and very seriously for the last 12 or so. I'm sure people thought there was only one more tour after the Licks one. They keep defying it. And thats good, they should continue as long as they can and as long as its good. But there's been so many assumptions that this is probably the end that its so funny at this point. Cause now its true, but its just such a cliche.

Date: June 17, 2017 20:10

Have a nice Stoned weekend You all with Taylor playing Giddy Up!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 17, 2017 22:12

RollingFreak
mtaylor
However, this year or next year will be the last time they play due to age.

Lol, you're probably right, but it has to be pointed out this has been said for the last 20 years, and very seriously for the last 12 or so. I'm sure people thought there was only one more tour after the Licks one. They keep defying it. And thats good, they should continue as long as they can and as long as its good. But there's been so many assumptions that this is probably the end that its so funny at this point. Cause now its true, but its just such a cliche.
Now they are in their 70'ies. Charlie 76!!!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 17, 2017 22:14

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
PhillyFAN

Jones Era
Jumping Jack Flash
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction

Taylor Era
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

Wood Era
Out Of Control
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

In between Jones/Taylor
Gimme Shelter

thumbs up

Date: June 18, 2017 05:31

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
PhillyFAN

Jones Era
Jumping Jack Flash
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction

Taylor Era
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

Wood Era
Out Of Control
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

In between Jones/Taylor
Gimme Shelter

thumbs up

I just checked and it seems LIB was more Keith than anybody. Brian only played congas on Midnight Rambler and autoharp on You got the Silver Mick Taylor's contributions were minimal as well. I think he played rhythm on Live with me and slide guitar on Country Honk..I always tend to think about the live performances of songs from LIB. Pity neither are them are around in 2017.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 19, 2017 00:28

mtaylor
deardoctor
I would probably say the same. However, this year or next year will be the last time they play due to age. Therefore, I am going for a last goodbye. I would regret if I didn't.[/quotequote

that's what I thought in 2014...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 19, 2017 07:44

deardoctor

Yes, I can confirm that for more or less exactly these reasons, none of the few dozens of former Stones "regulars" I know go to a single show in Europe this time. Some have already stopped going to shows after Licks, some after ABB, some have "returned" just for Taylor in 2014, but that card has been played already, and Blue And Lonesome obviously did not help in this case ("Oh, they're probably going to play one song from the album, wtf? Or "rarities" like Bitch, Live With Me, All Down The Line, Steet Fighting Man - no thanks, been there, done that!" - to sum up the general mood). And they're probably not even missed, at least not if there are still enough people who actually show up.

Date: June 19, 2017 10:04

retired_dog
deardoctor

Yes, I can confirm that for more or less exactly these reasons, none of the few dozens of former Stones "regulars" I know go to a single show in Europe this time. Some have already stopped going to shows after Licks, some after ABB, some have "returned" just for Taylor in 2014, but that card has been played already, and Blue And Lonesome obviously did not help in this case ("Oh, they're probably going to play one song from the album, wtf? Or "rarities" like Bitch, Live With Me, All Down The Line, Steet Fighting Man - no thanks, been there, done that!" - to sum up the general mood). And they're probably not even missed, at least not if there are still enough people who actually show up.

Seemingly, great music will always gain new followers..

Not even one of your dozens of Stones friends will do any shows?? Wow, that's sad..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 19, 2017 10:57

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
deardoctor

Seemingly, great music will always gain new followers..

Not even one of your dozens of Stones friends will do any shows?? Wow, that's sad..

Not all of them are Stones diehards, many of them "classic rock fans", regular concertgoers in general, but never missed a Stones tour in the past decades until recent years. But even the diehards obviously have enough! It wouldn't surprise me if some of them will change their minds in the last minute, though. But it's obvious that the excitement just isn't there at this very moment.

But we all belong to the "older" group of fans (50-70 years), and for younger fans who did not see them that often, the fire may still be there.

Date: June 21, 2017 16:50

I was just thinking what I would have liked to hear Mick Taylor play with the Stones if there had been proper rehearsals and he could have been incorporated in with Keith and Ronnie. I would have enjoyed Tumbling Dice and All Down The Line.

Almost anything from his period in the band.

Date: June 21, 2017 20:35

Agree PhillyFAN, although the little we were given during that "reunion" was monumental in itself imo.
But..imagine some more tunes from Exile, Sticky Fingers, etc, and a mini set of a few classic blues covers thrown in.
And imagine how much better Blue and Lonesome would have been with Mick Taylor!!! eye popping smiley cool smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 21, 2017 21:41

I'd like to hear Love In Vain with Taylor at the club gig.

I still hold a grudge that he didn't play at Barclay's.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 21, 2017 23:11

I miss the excitement he brought, always something diferent when he played. elevated the others performance too.

Missed opportunity, but what we got was great. it shouldv been soooooooooooooo much more tho sad smiley

Mick Taylor interview: Drunk?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 2, 2017 10:26

Just thought I'd unload stuff from my Photobucket account before it goes extinct. Anyone know who the interviewer is, or the show it was from? I just grabbed screenshots from a DVD.

Interviewer: Okay, so that was then, Mick. You’re about twenty, twenty-one years old.

MT: Yes, very young, very angelic looking, uhm…

MT: Still got a nice pair of legs, though.

Interviewer: Very nice pins, I have to say.

MT: Yup.

Interviewer: So your first concert with the Rolling Stones was 1968 in Hyde Park. It was a huge concert.

MT: Sixty-nine, I think.

Interviewer: Sixty-nine, was it?

MT: Yeah. I mean, for me it was very exciting. I think it was kind of very nerve wracking for all of us, because… nobody, and uh, no rock and roll band, I… to my knowledge, had ever done anything on that scale.

Interviewer: As jobs go, what was it like?

MT: Oh, it was a pretty good job for, what, six and a half years? Yeah. Yeah. I… don’t want to, don’t wish to sound too corny, but I would say for most of the six and a half years, I got quite a lot of satisfaction out of it, and made a lot of money.

Interviewer: What was Mick Jagger like?

MT: Oh, he was alright. You know, I mean, he was a bit difficult at times. A bit of a, a bit of a prima donna, you know, but, uh… what do you expect, you know? I mean, he’s a, he’s a great entertainer.

Re: Mick Taylor interview: Drunk?
Date: July 2, 2017 10:33

Drunk? Hard to say.

I'd like to drink a few beers with him some day. thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 2, 2017 10:37

Dunk ?? So what if he is. He looks great here and very happy too.
This is Rock and Roll, Drunk indeed lol.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 2, 2017 23:01

"Oh he was alright; you know...I mean, he was a bit difficult at times...
...you know? I mean, he's a...he's a...
...great entertainer..."
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 23:02 by hopkins.

Date: July 3, 2017 03:03

hopkins
"Oh he was alright; you know...I mean, he was a bit difficult at times...
...you know? I mean, he's a...he's a...
...great entertainer..."
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hopkins, I'm curious. Was that a quote someone made about Mick Taylor?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 3, 2017 10:42

MT: Oh, he was alright. You know, I mean, he was a bit difficult at times. A bit of a, a bit of a prima donna, you know, but, uh… what do you expect, you know? I mean, he’s a, he’s a great entertainer.

haha; no I was quoting Mick T. from stonehearted cool downloaded pics above, and the accompanying quotes. It's Mick Taylor responding to questions about Mick Jagger. I was just having fun and breaking it up...adding elipses when i deviated from the quote. THe quote was right above so I thought maybe it wouldn't be confusing, but I contriubted to the confusion by breaking up the quote anyway, not intentionally...

...took out the 'prima donna' remark which would have actually emphasized the point rather than confuse it. doh...
...just my take on Mick T maybe wanting to be diplomatic as well as honest. They have some "uhs" and seeming pauses. I imagined him being tentative and careful; telling it straight but skipping the drama and potential conflict. Tho I bet he's conflicted at times.

He's not a shit-flinger, but he knows he's been treated with less than professional courtesy from time to time...I don't know if he's drunk. I kinda wish I had a beer come to think of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 10:44 by hopkins.

Date: July 3, 2017 18:19

hopkins

haha; no I was quoting Mick T. from stonehearted cool downloaded pics above, and the accompanying quotes. It's Mick Taylor responding to questions about Mick Jagger. I was just having fun and breaking it up...adding elipses when i deviated from the quote. THe quote was right above so I thought maybe it wouldn't be confusing, but I contriubted to the confusion by breaking up the quote anyway, not intentionally...

...took out the 'prima donna' remark which would have actually emphasized the point rather than confuse it. doh...
...just my take on Mick T maybe wanting to be diplomatic as well as honest. They have some "uhs" and seeming pauses. I imagined him being tentative and careful; telling it straight but skipping the drama and potential conflict. Tho I bet he's conflicted at times.

He's not a shit-flinger, but he knows he's been treated with less than professional courtesy from time to time...I don't know if he's drunk. I kinda wish I had a beer come to think of it.

My apologies Hopkins. I was looking at the pictures and not following the text. I look at a lot of magazines obviously. ha ha!

Date: July 5, 2017 20:13

John Mayall & Mick Taylor/Bluesbreakers, Buffalo, 6-09-1982. Never seen before. Thanks to DS. Enjoy.

[photos.google.com]

Date: July 5, 2017 20:19

TheflyingDutchman
John Mayall & Mick Taylor/Bluesbreakers, Buffalo, 6-09-1982. Never seen before. Thanks to DS. Enjoy.

[photos.google.com]

Wow...I just randomly clicked on the 48:00 mark and MT is RIPPING!!!
Curious to see if John Mcvie was wearing shoes, as he wasn't at the L.A. Roxy show.
I recall focusing on his feet movements as there was an empty beer bottle within stepping distance!

Will watch it all later, thanks! smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...202203204205206207208209210211212...LastNext
Current Page: 207 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home