Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...198199200201202203204205206207208...LastNext
Current Page: 203 of 307
Jack Bruce Band with Mick Taylor
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 20, 2017 20:35

Jack Bruce Band with Mick Taylor - Old Grey Whistle Test (1975)

[www.youtube.com]

Former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor performs on stage with Jack Bruce at Crystal Palace Garden Party 7th June 1975 - Michael Putland (1st and 3rd photo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 20:37 by exilestones.

Re: Jack Bruce Band with Mick Taylor
Date: February 20, 2017 20:43

Jack Bruce, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Leahy, Bruce Gary

Michael Putland photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 20:45 by exilestones.

Date: February 20, 2017 20:44

Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce perform on stage Amsterdam Netherlands 1975

Gijsbert Hanekroot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 20:48 by exilestones.

Date: February 20, 2017 20:49

exilestones

That's not in Amsterdam, but de "Vliegermolen" in Voorburg, near The Hague.

Thanks for posting thumbs up

Date: February 20, 2017 20:51

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 20, 2017 20:56

Jack Bruce, one of my idols who is sorely missed.

Brucey was god not Clapton!

Thanks for sharing these smileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 20, 2017 22:30

Jack Bruce with Rory Gallagher

video: [youtu.be]

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 22:30 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 20, 2017 23:23

Could never understand why Mick joined this band who had far bigger drugs issues than The Stones.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 21, 2017 11:59

As bad career moves go, that's among the worst. Think Terry Reid turning down Led Zeppelin, Shelley Long leaving Cheers, etc.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2017 13:05

TheflyingDutchman
exilestones

That's not in Amsterdam, but de "Vliegermolen" in Voorburg, near The Hague.

Thanks for posting thumbs up

Quite an interesting venue that is. Now completely forgotten, but in the '70's just about any band except the Stones have played in that sports hall.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 21, 2017 14:48

jlowe
Could never understand why Mick joined this band who had far bigger drugs issues than The Stones.

Some rock historians imply that in 1974 Taylor severely misjudged the "shape" of the Stones : MT thought the band was toast, and it would soon implode (with Jagger going solo and Keef dying from an OD?).
From that pov Taylor thought it was a good career move to leave the sinking ship before it went 10000 fathoms below sea level and join a hot supergroup that would make him a rock superstar.
Plus Taylor probably imagined the (rather limited) blues-based rock was dead and the future belonged to the more sophisticated prog-rock.

Yes "as bad career moves go, that's among the worst"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 21, 2017 18:55

dcba
jlowe

Some rock historians imply that in 1974 Taylor severely misjudged the "shape" of the Stones : MT thought the band was toast, and it would soon implode (with Jagger going solo and Keef dying from an OD?).
From that pov Taylor thought it was a good career move to leave the sinking ship before it went 10000 fathoms below sea level and join a hot supergroup that would make him a rock superstar.
Plus Taylor probably imagined the (rather limited) blues-based rock was dead and the future belonged to the more sophisticated prog-rock.

Yes "as bad career moves go, that's among the worst"

I mean, he's not wrong about any of that, as I'm sure we all know. They've all said "bands didn't last" back then. The Stones are like the first band that started then and still continues at that level. Its unfathomable to think about really. In 1974 who would have known Keith wouldn't have died or that the Stones would keep trucking, and doing it well. Its all just impossible to tell. Nothing Taylor thought was probably that far off, so its hard to blame him. But yeah, we all know what a terrible decision it ended up being. But that line of thinking makes sense.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:03

Around 1974 there was a rumor going around that Ronnie Wood was going to replace KEITH in the Stones!

You heard a lot of concern about Keith's health during that time. Nils Lofgren put out the song "Keith Don't Go" on his debut album in '75.

Then there was the story about Keith getting some kind of cure (and new blood?) in Switzerland. And the rest is history.

By the way, wasn't Bruce Gary in The Knack?

Date: February 21, 2017 19:38

I remember one interview that Taylor said something like he "was running for his life (due to all of the drugs)." Mick Taylor always seem to give a different reason why he left the Stones. Perhaps there were several reasons.

Taylor talks about why he left in the interview at the end of the Youtube video in the first post in this thread.

+++++++++++++

Recorded live at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 1 June 1975. Mixed at Eden Studios, London, 19 August 1975.

Jack Bruce: Vocals, Bass Guitar, Piano;
Mick Taylor: Guitar;
Carla Bley: Organ, Synthesiser, Clavinet, Mellotron, Eletric Piano;
Ronnie Leahy: Piano, Electric Piano, Synthesiser;
Bruce Gary: Drums.

Buy: [www.amazon.com]

Thanks to Dan for the original Youtube post!

article: [news.nationalpost.com]

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: February 21, 2017 20:11

Taylor left because

1. he felt musically restricted, uncredited on songs etc and thought you know what. Keith looks f@cked, Im not gettin credit, I'm also lookin f@cked, i wanna try something new

2. wanted to be in a band as an equal rather than 'hired hand' ie writing etc

3. was a junkie and needed out for his health from a superstar band and hangers on and all that entails - Ladies & Gentlemen is an example of what i mean

4. Jack Bruce came from a Jazz background and an amazing Bass player/writer who was apparently looking to form a new band and write with someone, sadly it didnt work out as taylor thought it would - no studio recordings, no co-writing, some gigs, no future

bummer

Date: February 21, 2017 21:47

jlowe

Carla Bley, Bruce Gary and Ronnie Leahy didn't have hard drug issues in that band.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2017 21:55

Taylor left and then worked with the Glimmers with both Ronnie Wood and John Phillips over the next few years. He stayed in their sphere through 1977. It seems in retrospect a Jagger-Wood-Taylor-Wyman-Watts back-up plan was a possibility if Keith became a casualty. Just guess-work, but it does seem plausible. Meantime, it's a pity Jack Bruce and Mick Taylor did not produce the same results as Bruce and Clapton did a decade earlier. Through his work with Dylan and even Joan Jett, there seemed real hope for a decent career for this very talented guitarist. He must not have wanted to join any other A-list bands or didn't want to be a hired hand to A-list talent much of the time. There really is no othere explanation for how someone with his talent and c.v. did not fare better than it was a conscious choice on his part to some degree.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 21, 2017 22:22

Rocky Dijon
Taylor left and then worked with the Glimmers with both Ronnie Wood and John Phillips over the next few years. He stayed in their sphere through 1977. It seems in retrospect a Jagger-Wood-Taylor-Wyman-Watts back-up plan was a possibility if Keith became a casualty. Just guess-work, but it does seem plausible. Meantime, it's a pity Jack Bruce and Mick Taylor did not produce the same results as Bruce and Clapton did a decade earlier. Through his work with Dylan and even Joan Jett, there seemed real hope for a decent career for this very talented guitarist. He must not have wanted to join any other A-list bands or didn't want to be a hired hand to A-list talent much of the time. There really is no othere explanation for how someone with his talent and c.v. did not fare better than it was a conscious choice on his part to some degree.

I mean actually I feel it makes perfect sense. He is an incredible guitarist, I love the man. I saw the Stones on the 50th tour solely because of him. But there's only so much a great guitarist can do. He was a great collaborator with the Stones, but he couldn't do it on his own. Hence why his solo albums are fine but not great and why he did several side gigs but never fully made an impact. Because unless he took that step towards the spotlight in a bigger role, like Eric Clapton did. Eric Clapton eventually went solo and had success with it, IMO cementing his status if it wasn't already. He was finally singing and writing and taking full credit for hit singles and stuff and thats what gave him a career as opposed to just always being an incredible guitar player.

Its different for everyone, but Taylor's best role was working with a great band and singer like the Stones and Jagger. Ronnie Wood is someone that IMO is successful because he knows his place. It was as Rod Stewart's righthand man. It was as the Stones guitarist. He was never leading the charge, but he has the charisma and the chops to make a career out of being in successful things. He knew when to stay hooked to a good train so to speak. Not that Taylor made a mistake. You never know what's gonna happen when you go out on your own. But it didn't spark some genius songwriting. He can still play a mean guitar, but that will only take you so far. When he didn't land anywhere by 1980, it was clear he was never gonna get anywhere higher.

Date: February 21, 2017 22:30

Sure, but he could have been a hired hand for other talent after the Dylan album and tour. You're right he never would have reached Clapton potential as a songwriter or vocalist, but he could have had a solid career as a sideman in demand by the best of the best. He chose not to do that. His reasons are his own, of course, and he may have chosen for the best as a person, but he remains an enigmatic figure from the perspective of career choices.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 21, 2017 22:30

By the early 80's he was presumably content to be sideman to Dylan (record and gigs).
Can't imagine he thought that life with His Bobness would be any different.

Date: February 21, 2017 22:40

I don't think he did either. Admittedly, I look to the conversation on the bootleg from the Live Aid rehearsals for some insight into the period. An odd introverted figure like Dylan pointing out the same traits in Taylor is a bit funny, but it points to the fact that Taylor really was who he appeared to be onstage - a quiet guy who just wanted to play guitar. I don't think he wanted the rock star life even as a sideman. Lots of musicians battle addiction, but Taylor did so while cutting off his easiest means for financial support. That is also fascinating because it is the opposite of what most people would do. He is a fascinating figure as a person as much as he is a talent.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 22, 2017 00:18

10/20/30 feet from stardom?

Date: February 22, 2017 01:16

RollingFreak
Rocky Dijon

I mean actually I feel it makes perfect sense. He is an incredible guitarist, I love the man. I saw the Stones on the 50th tour solely because of him. But there's only so much a great guitarist can do. He was a great collaborator with the Stones, but he couldn't do it on his own. Hence why his solo albums are fine but not great and why he did several side gigs but never fully made an impact. Because unless he took that step towards the spotlight in a bigger role, like Eric Clapton did. Eric Clapton eventually went solo and had success with it, IMO cementing his status if it wasn't already. He was finally singing and writing and taking full credit for hit singles and stuff and thats what gave him a career as opposed to just always being an incredible guitar player.

Its different for everyone, but Taylor's best role was working with a great band and singer like the Stones and Jagger. Ronnie Wood is someone that IMO is successful because he knows his place. It was as Rod Stewart's righthand man. It was as the Stones guitarist. He was never leading the charge, but he has the charisma and the chops to make a career out of being in successful things. He knew when to stay hooked to a good train so to speak. Not that Taylor made a mistake. You never know what's gonna happen when you go out on your own. But it didn't spark some genius songwriting. He can still play a mean guitar, but that will only take you so far. When he didn't land anywhere by 1980, it was clear he was never gonna get anywhere higher.

A very good post! thumbs up

It might also be that he didn't want to become a super star after being in the Stones.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 23, 2017 06:20

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
Rocky Dijon

It might also be that he didn't want to become a super star after being in the Stones.

Back up plan for Keith:

After you left, several times there were rumors about your come-back in the Rolling Stones, especially because Keith Richards himself wanted you back. So why didn’t it happen?

I never heard that. I did know that when Keith Richards had these problems in Toronto [arrested for possessing heroin in 1977], Mick called me in London and said “Could you help us out?”. I said “what do you mean help you out?”. He said “I think we’re gonna have to do this tour without Keith” and I said “that’s ridiculous, you can’t do a tour without Keith. That’s not the Rolling Stones”. He said “I might have to because that’s part of the contract”. I said “Mick, I know how things work with the Stones and I’m sure a solution will be found. But if you can’t find, yeah I’ll do it”. I’ve never told anybody else that story.

[madchesterroadtrip.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 06:20 by mtaylor.

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 26, 2017 09:09

The Rolling Stones - Four Taylor Live Licks (1969, 1970, 1972, 1973)
[www.youtube.com]

that guy is pretty good.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 26, 2017 10:30

mtaylor
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
Rocky Dijon

Back up plan for Keith:

After you left, several times there were rumors about your come-back in the Rolling Stones, especially because Keith Richards himself wanted you back. So why didn’t it happen?

I never heard that. I did know that when Keith Richards had these problems in Toronto [arrested for possessing heroin in 1977], Mick called me in London and said “Could you help us out?”. I said “what do you mean help you out?”. He said “I think we’re gonna have to do this tour without Keith” and I said “that’s ridiculous, you can’t do a tour without Keith. That’s not the Rolling Stones”. He said “I might have to because that’s part of the contract”. I said “Mick, I know how things work with the Stones and I’m sure a solution will be found. But if you can’t find, yeah I’ll do it”. I’ve never told anybody else that story.

[madchesterroadtrip.wordpress.com]

That's an interesting aside. Mick ever the businessman wants to honour the contracts. And it did feel that MJ and MT were pretty friendly. I'm sure there are people on this board who are more knowledgeable than myself but I always felt the story about Nick Kent physically showing MT that he wasn't credited for co writer on the IORR vinyl must have been a shattering betrayal.

Date: February 26, 2017 11:18

It is incredible how fast one's status will fall; and how far down. I saw Taylor in the 80's in a small club where I myself had played many times. One of the reasons I went to the show was to see a Rolling Stone tread the same...
Talked to him afterwards. To bring up Stones was not even an option.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2017 11:23

Mick Taylor ---- The Van Gogh of rock ..................

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-26 11:26 by Rockman.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:45

Does anyone have any interview or article links about how mick taylor got to play on one of Keith Richards Album tracks? think he's the only stone who actually played on the album too?

great tune it is as well with some mean boogie piano and nice Taylor lead

Ive heard/read about the John Phillips Album whcih is pretty interesting. but know nothing about this

Any help gladly appreciated smiling smiley

Date: February 27, 2017 21:14

From TIOS:

(Mick Taylor) lived down the road from me, so we bumped into each other a few times. He heard I was doing a session with Johnnie Johnson, and he asked if he could come down and listen. I said, No, you can come down and play.

- Keith Richards, 1988

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...198199200201202203204205206207208...LastNext
Current Page: 203 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home