Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...192193194195196197198199200201202...LastNext
Current Page: 197 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor sidelined yet again
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 26, 2016 01:17

HMS
Just listen to Black And Blue. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt. If Harvey Mandel would have been with the Stones in 1969-74 instead of MT the albums they made back then would still be masterpieces and would sound only slightly different. Maybe GHS and IORR would have been better albums in the end.

Thankfully MT left the Stones.
Otherwise the world would've never been blessed with DW...

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 26, 2016 01:41

As much as I like MT it really was refreshing to see Brian get a good crack of the whip at Exhibitionism.

Also don't forget MT probably has minimal gear and what he has he probably uses.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 26, 2016 02:09

Rollin92
As much as I like MT it really was refreshing to see Brian get a good crack of the whip at Exhibitionism.

Also don't forget MT probably has minimal gear and what he has he probably uses.

Absolutely, he played a Les Paul (Richards' old one), an SG, and an acoustic live during his tenure. Hardly exhibit worthy.

Date: July 26, 2016 02:11

I can see it now:

"Here's the lady's hat Mick Jagger made Mick Taylor wear"

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: July 26, 2016 03:13

Well Brian isn't using his anymore so easier to get and display.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 26, 2016 03:54

With the relatively recent release of Mick Taylor era concert recordings, it's become apparent that he really made a difference in the live performances. If you think about a song like Sway, it's a great, and Mick Taylor is great on it, but it's very Keith-like, just like Mick Taylor's bass on Tumbling Dice could very easily be Bill Wyman. We'll never know exactly where he would have taken his playing once he felt confident in the band. Unfortunately he flamed out while still in the Stones. Maybe some other guitar player would have accomplished the same thing, taking the Stones to a higher melodic plane, but Mick Taylor is who was there, so it's kind of a moot point. I remember his time there quite while and he never seemed to fit. But he is an important part of the overall story.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 26, 2016 04:19

Mick Taylor sounded great of the IORR album. His solo on If You Can't Rock Me is OUTSTANDING and added a lot to that song and others. His guitar playing on Ya-Yas is off the charts, ie, Street Fighting Man live is much inferior without him, Love in Vain too and many others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 04:19 by beachbreak.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 26, 2016 05:32

Back in the day, it was real nice having a little twink my own age in my favorite rock and roll band, and boy could he play. The rest of the band were old age to me back then (1969 to 74).

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 26, 2016 10:07

HMS
...let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt.

Come on, you can't be serious. In the age of the 'guitar god' Mick Taylor was just perfect because he was a terrific player, and he looked great (which was very important then, think only of Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc.! His shy image only added to his Appeal back then.

And nobody who ever listened to the live recordings from GYYYA to Brussels 1973 could Support your opinion that his influence was minimal. Unfortunately I was too young to attend a concert in 1973.

I tend to believe that Ron Wood was the right man for the 'punk years' and the Disco era. Nobody knows how the Stones would have developed if Taylor had stayed. But during the five years he was with the band he was the right man.

I will never undrestand how they could humiliate him so severley by taking him on tour basically for one song (Forget the acoustic guitar strumming on 'Satisfaction').

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 26, 2016 11:12

saltoftheearth
HMS
...let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt.

Come on, you can't be serious. In the age of the 'guitar god' Mick Taylor was just perfect because he was a terrific player, and he looked great (which was very important then, think only of Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc.! His shy image only added to his Appeal back then.

And nobody who ever listened to the live recordings from GYYYA to Brussels 1973 could Support your opinion that his influence was minimal. Unfortunately I was too young to attend a concert in 1973.

I tend to believe that Ron Wood was the right man for the 'punk years' and the Disco era. Nobody knows how the Stones would have developed if Taylor had stayed. But during the five years he was with the band he was the right man.

I will never undrestand how they could humiliate him so severley by taking him on tour basically for one song (Forget the acoustic guitar strumming on 'Satisfaction').

You are right and was so glad i did see taylor in a 73 concert.

I dont want to argue about ronnie and taylor, but i always said ronnie suited the image at the time, but taylor was the better player for me.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 26, 2016 11:43

They are not obliged to include him in this project thats why they don't. They should of of course given how incredibly important he is to their career, their songs, their reputation as a live band and recording band, their legacy, the historical great live era (1969-1973) etc. But it's not possible when they're still touring.

Posted by: opj ()
Date: July 26, 2016 12:08

Tayler left the band, trying to go solo. I only have one of his solo albums, and that's not very good. His really good as a bandmember. I don't pity him, because he left the band himself, he wasn't thrown out. But he's done great works with the stones, and that's why I don't understand that he left back in 1974.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 26, 2016 12:16

DandelionPowderman
Taylor didn't want his gear around. I'm pretty sure Keith didn't mind...

-------

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 26, 2016 12:52

odean73
I dont want to argue about ronnie and taylor, but i always said ronnie suited the image at the time, but taylor was the better player for me.

Doubt it could be said better than this.

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 26, 2016 15:19

Can someone tell me if Mick Taylor is playing the slide on this version of Lovin Cup? When was this recorded, at Nellcote or earlier?

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 26, 2016 15:35

FP
Can someone tell me if Mick Taylor is playing the slide on this version of Lovin Cup? When was this recorded, at Nellcote or earlier?

--------

Date: July 26, 2016 15:57

DonParker
FP

If that's Taylor on slide I'm fan-off. winking smiley

It feels more like Richards to me but not 100% sure!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 26, 2016 16:03

FP
DonParker
FP

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: July 26, 2016 16:38

mtaylor
FP
DonParker
FP

But this credit list is for the released cut, is it the same for the unreleased one I posted?

Date: July 26, 2016 16:56

FP
mtaylor
FP
DonParker
FP

But this credit list is for the released cut, is it the same for the unreleased one I posted?

I only listened to the first 2 minutes of the outtake you posted, but if that's Taylor, he had a few pints. A bit sloppy and unfocussed. Besides TIOOS and Nico Zentgraf are not always reliable sources to me.

Date: July 26, 2016 18:10

DonParker
FP
mtaylor
FP
DonParker
FP

I only listened to the first 2 minutes of the outtake you posted, but if that's Taylor, he had a few pints. A bit sloppy and unfocussed. Besides TIOOS and Nico Zentgraf are not always reliable sources to me.

Yes that's what I thought! I found the same version on youtube, I think, titled as Loving Cup (Mick Taylor's First Session June 1969). However most of the comments suggest it is Keith on slide. Also Honky Tonk Women was Taylor's first session with the Stones?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqS2pY-Hv0g[/url]

Date: July 26, 2016 18:31

Mick T. in the left playing some chord stuff and Keith in the right playing lead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 18:38 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 26, 2016 23:15

HMS
Just listen to Black And Blue. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt. If Harvey Mandel would have been with the Stones in 1969-74 instead of MT the albums they made back then would still be masterpieces and would sound only slightly different. Maybe GHS and IORR would have been better albums in the end.

Your tireless campaign against Mick Taylor gives good evidence that there is much about his contribution to the Stones. If not, you would not have been so desperate to denigrate him. Only that you cannot stand his guitar style. However, that solo guitar of his belongs to one of the peaks of the Stones history. Not because of that only, but vitally also that.

Good luck striving on in your campaign. You give us a good reminder of Mick Taylor on each occasion. grinning smiley Are your paid for this mission?

Edit: omission of a word repeated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 00:01 by Witness.

Date: July 26, 2016 23:54

Witness
HMS

Your tireless campaign against Mick Taylor gives good evidence that there is much about his contribution to the Stones. If not, you would not have been so desperate to denigrate him. Only that you cannot stand his guitar style. However, that solo guitar of his belongs to one one of the peaks of the Stones history. Not because of that only, but vitally also that.

Good luck striving on in your campaign. You give us a good reminder of Mick Taylor on each occasion. grinning smiley Are your paid for this mission?

Give him a break, he enjoys the attention and needs a ventilator i.e.fetish. It's a mild form of mental sadistic personality disorder. He uses Taylor now, but it could be anybody really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 23:59 by DonParker.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 17:56

That really rough working take of Loving Cup... I don't hear any slide guitar in it. What y'all talkin' about?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:20

DonParker
It's a mild form of mental sadistic personality disorder. He uses Taylor now, but it could be anybody really.

Yes, it´s Taylor playing on some of their greatest albums but it could be anybody really. IMO,any skillful player could have been doing the job and would be worshipped today. It´s the Jagger/Richards-combination that created the early-70s masterpieces. Taylor is just the cherry on the cake, but it could as well been a strawberry, would still have tasted delicious.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:31

Yo, HMS - pull yer head out ya green, pink, blue, red yellow ass. The reason why the Taylor era Stones is so good ie THE BEST is because Taylor's style contributed more than just a sound, it was a counterbalance to Keith's feel: no one else has been able to sit in those pockets the way Taylor did - nor play the slide so smoothly.

And the songs Taylor was on that Keith wasn't are still just as brilliant, if not more so because of the difference.

Date: July 27, 2016 18:46

HMS
DonParker
It's a mild form of mental sadistic personality disorder. He uses Taylor now, but it could be anybody really.

Yes, it´s Taylor playing on some of their greatest albums but it could be anybody really. IMO,any skillful player could have been doing the job and would be worshipped today. It´s the Jagger/Richards-combination that created the early-70s masterpieces. Taylor is just the cherry on the cake, but it could as well been a strawberry, would still have tasted delicious.

Read my post again. I was not writing about guitarists, but about you.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:03

DonParker
HMS
DonParker

I know. But I felt the phrase (bold written) could be applied on MT. It fits perfectly.

Date: July 27, 2016 19:24

HMS
DonParker
HMS
DonParker

I know. But I felt the phrase (bold written) could be applied on MT. It fits perfectly.

That's where you're wrong. It couldn't have been anybody, because The Rolling Stones selected young Mick Taylor specifically when they could have picked anybody!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...192193194195196197198199200201202...LastNext
Current Page: 197 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home