Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: April 13, 2016 00:13

DancelittleSister
Never knew Taylor was such a big Bowie fan.

760100A mid-January onwards: JOHN PHILLIPS & MICK TAYLOR. Wembley, The
Cine-Tele Sound (CTS) Studios. Producer: John Phillips.

****Recordings for the film soundtrack ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’.****

Incl.
- Hello Mary Lou I (Gene Pitney/Cayet Mangiaracina) -instrumental CD-version
- Hello Mary Lou II (Gene Pitney/Cayet Mangiaracina) -vocal movie version
- Liar, Liar (John Phillips) -MT's involvement unsure
+ incidental film music

Posted by: TaylorYears ()
Date: April 13, 2016 01:01

--------

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 13, 2016 01:51

Koen
DancelittleSister
Wasn't this picture taken in Groningen (Netherlands).

Yes, that's in the Netherlands.

Of course it's in Groninger museum in Groningen, the Netherlands. Not sure where I picked Berlin... smiling smiley

[www.vam.ac.uk]

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 13, 2016 04:49

Mick Taylor is pissed at the Stones for not being asked to continue touring with them. It's likely that he thought he was back as a permanent member.

It seems that everyone from the fans to the Stones themselves wanted Taylor to continue with the exception of Mick Jagger. Taylor's presence hurt the bottom line.

On the other hand Taylor did quit the band many years ago. I can see both sides of the argument.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 13, 2016 07:21

James Kirk
Mick Taylor is pissed at the Stones for not being asked to continue touring with them. It's likely that he thought he was back as a permanent member.

It seems that everyone from the fans to the Stones themselves wanted Taylor to continue with the exception of Mick Jagger. Taylor's presence hurt the bottom line.

On the other hand Taylor did quit the band many years ago. I can see both sides of the argument.

I don't think that he thought he was back as permanent member, it's more that he most likely had hopes that he would work with them on a more permanent basis in the future, live and in the studio, hopes that were finally destroyed by not inviting him again for the ZIP Code-tour. But it's obvious that the days of the Stones as a regularily new music recording entity are long gone, and if we're totally honest (at least I am), his recent contributions on stage were interesting, but nothing earthshaking either, often sounding stiff, unfocused, unrehearsed, whatever - but not what I expected from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 08:00 by alimente.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 13, 2016 11:18

He isn't the player he once was, sure, but I think 'often' might be pushing it a bit. The first Rambler at the O2 was all over the place and he stumbled a couple of times on CYHMK, otherwise I thought he did well. Anyway, I don't think too many players would thrive with the kind of pressure he was under. Sure he had professional sound guys, great vintage amplifiers and all the rest of it, but basically he was going on stage cold, having had no chance to warm up properly or gel with the rest of the band and quite possibly not knowing where he stood personally with Jagger (if not the others). He was also probably aware that if his playing wasn't up to scratch he'd be accused of blowing his big chance, and if it was too good he'd be called out for trying to dominate the rest of the band and not fitting in - which needless to say is exactly what happened. He couldn't really win, and in the circumstances I think what we got from him was generally as good as could be expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 11:22 by Stoneburst.

Date: April 13, 2016 11:41

Taylor did some lovely performances with the Stones. Midnight Rambler at Roskilde is one, Shanghai was another.

There is no better song in the world to warm up to than Midnight Rambler, and I bet that was the intention: him guesting on a 13-16 minutes number, where he could use the first couple of minutes to get into the flow.

However, playing for ten thousands of people is VERY different to that of a small sweaty club (which can be more challenging in other ways, though).

I don't think many Stones fans were disappointed with Taylor's performances.

I liked some of his off the cuff appearances (on Slipping Away, for instance - even on Streets Of Love). On those numbers, nobody expected him to blow the roof off. Instead, he could just be a part of the band musically and add some good stuff here and there. Nowadays, he is better at that, imo. Nowadays, that might be the best for the sound of the band of today as well.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:48

James Kirk

I am fascinated by all of the conjecture when it comes to Mick Taylor. Has Mick Taylor actually stated at any time that he was pissed about not being asked to continue? Or that he thought his guest appearances meant he was permanently back? He has no problem speaking his mind, as he did stating his displeasure at not being asked to attend the Exhibitionism event.

Has Mick Jagger been quoted saying he is the one that doesn't want MT back in the band? Or has anybody that would have actual knowledge of such things made any kind of statement to that effect? Where does this stuff come from?

Re: Mick Taylor makes public outrage on Facebook regarding Exhibitionism
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 14, 2016 01:14

stonesrule
HMS, I wonder if you ever met or spoke with Mick Taylor or saw him play in person, with or without the Stones?

"His haughtiness" is a phrase many would disagree with.
yup. I knew people in Dylan's camp at the time Taylor was playing with Bob. Everyone said he was a terrific person and great companion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 01:15 by DoomandGloom.

Re: Mick Taylor makes public outrage on Facebook regarding Exhibitionism
Posted by: BleuMuze ()
Date: April 14, 2016 02:59

Hmmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 03:37 by BleuMuze.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 14, 2016 10:32

Ross
I am fascinated by all of the conjecture when it comes to Mick Taylor. Has Mick Taylor actually stated at any time that he was pissed about not being asked to continue? Or that he thought his guest appearances meant he was permanently back? He has no problem speaking his mind, as he did stating his displeasure at not being asked to attend the Exhibitionism event.

Has Mick Jagger been quoted saying he is the one that doesn't want MT back in the band? Or has anybody that would have actual knowledge of such things made any kind of statement to that effect? Where does this stuff come from?

It comes from people's minds here at IORR. Fans who are very sure about things that aren't for sure at all, or fans who just can't express their opinions or theories without making them sound like fact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 10:32 by LieB.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 14, 2016 10:33

Stoneburst
He isn't the player he once was, sure, but I think 'often' might be pushing it a bit. The first Rambler at the O2 was all over the place and he stumbled a couple of times on CYHMK, otherwise I thought he did well. Anyway, I don't think too many players would thrive with the kind of pressure he was under. Sure he had professional sound guys, great vintage amplifiers and all the rest of it, but basically he was going on stage cold, having had no chance to warm up properly or gel with the rest of the band and quite possibly not knowing where he stood personally with Jagger (if not the others). He was also probably aware that if his playing wasn't up to scratch he'd be accused of blowing his big chance, and if it was too good he'd be called out for trying to dominate the rest of the band and not fitting in - which needless to say is exactly what happened. He couldn't really win, and in the circumstances I think what we got from him was generally as good as could be expected.

Very reasonable analysis, me thinks!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 14, 2016 10:57

mtaylor
DancelittleSister
Wasn't this picture taken in Groningen (Netherlands), closing day last Sunday? I missed it. Never knew Taylor was such a big Bowie fan.

Could also be a little "kick" to his fellow former band-mates.

That was the first thing I thought. The 54 year career line in particular. Technically it is true since David did perform as part of the Konrads band at his school fete in 1962.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 11:36

Ronnie Wood Rules!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 11:46 by Socrates1.

Date: April 14, 2016 12:09

rebelrebel
mtaylor
DancelittleSister
Wasn't this picture taken in Groningen (Netherlands), closing day last Sunday? I missed it. Never knew Taylor was such a big Bowie fan.

Could also be a little "kick" to his fellow former band-mates.

That was the first thing I thought. The 54 year career line in particular. Technically it is true since David did perform as part of the Konrads band at his school fete in 1962.

Would be great if Taylor has made enough $ and doesn't need to play anymore. As a big Taylor fan I have heard and enjoyed most of the things he did. No more expectations.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 12:13

Too bad Mick Taylor left the band in 1974....

Date: April 14, 2016 12:43

Socrates1

thumbs up

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 14, 2016 19:43

The speculation also comes from what Mick Jagger, and Keith and Ronnie have said in interviews given over the period where MT was invited to perform again with the band and then not invited, apparently.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 14, 2016 21:17

angee
The speculation also comes from what Mick Jagger, and Keith and Ronnie have said in interviews given over the period where MT was invited to perform again with the band and then not invited, apparently.

I must have missed those. Do you have any links?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 15, 2016 01:17

Ross
angee

I must have missed those. Do you have any links?

I may have missed some, but basically Keith implied Taylor might be sick as the reason he wasn't invited on the zip code tour; Ronnie later said (paraphrasing) that it was easier to perform in some ways without fitting Taylor in (meaning rehearsals, arrangements, improvisation, who knows really), and Charlie finally said that he stated Taylor ought to have been invited "but nobody listens to me". When Jagger was asked if Taylor would be on the zip code tour, he was as vague as ever..."no, I don't think so..this time" or words to that effect. When once asked many years ago, prior to "50 and counting" (but easily in the post creative era), if bringing along Taylor was a possibility, he said that it was an interesting idea but not sure how the rest of the band might like it... Was MJ being honest there, or making an excuse? Who knows.. But Taylor's limited participation surely pointed the way to where things now stand.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 15, 2016 02:30

Thanks, SweetThing.

The only part I have to add is I heard MJ when asked about MT say that on the previous tour, they did take him all over the world.

No links, sorry, read over the months.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 15, 2016 03:33

did anyone else hear the story that someone 'close' to MT confronted MJ backstage and had a crack re money and song numbers.
I heard that was how it ended.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 15, 2016 07:59

angee
Thanks, SweetThing.

The only part I have to add is I heard MJ when asked about MT say that on the previous tour, they did take him all over the world.

No links, sorry, read over the months.

Maybe this is the source? Mick Jagger says no Mick Taylor for Rolling Stones' North American tour:
"When [Mark] Maron inquired about Taylor, Jagger explained: 'No, he’s not going
to play on this tour. It’s just going to be us. We had a great time with him; I
really enjoyed it, and we did a load of gigs, went all ‘round the world -- and
we stared [sic] off in London, it was just going to be one show in London and
went all ‘round the world together. But, this is a beginning of another tour, so, I
don’t think he’s coming on this'.”
Deathgod
did anyone else hear the story that someone 'close' to MT confronted MJ backstage and had a crack re money and song numbers.
I heard that was how it ended.

Didn't hear this. Sounds kind of silly, actually. We can be quite sure that more than one person made a "crack" about money and song numbers.

I'd be surprised whether many people know the "real story." From the outside the whole thing seemed strange. Not only "insiders," "superfans," or iorr visitors were wondering what was up with all that. People I know very into music (in various ways) but maybe not super active Stones' fans anymore, wondered what was up with Mick Taylor's seemingly being relegated to awkward quasi "guest" status, the Stones not making the most of an obvious opportunity, nor letting him shine.

It would be kind of hilarious if one comment from one person---questioning the decision to have Mick Taylor strumming an acoustic guitar and playing only one other number on a Rolling stones Tour, and that it might have been due to "frugality"---caused Mick Jagger subsequently to ban Mick Taylor from "taking him all over the world" (as if he's the family pooch being taken along on the wealthy family's 'round the world trip). Puh. Lease! tongue sticking out smiley

- swiss

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 15, 2016 10:36

I love Mick Taylor and always will. I actually cried when I heard that he was rejoining the RS, and was so sad that it wasn't to be permanent.

Posted by: TaylorYears ()
Date: April 15, 2016 11:01

--------

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 15, 2016 12:24

Socrates1
i agree he should have stayed despite broken promises about credits and despite Keiths behaviour. thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2016 13:26

Redhotcarpet
Socrates1
i agree he should have stayed despite broken promises about credits and despite Keiths behaviour. thumbs up

Keith's or Mick's? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 13:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 15, 2016 14:18

Redhotcarpet
Socrates1

Imo, He walked before they made him run.
Keith`s gotten tired of having him in the band. Haughty MT always thought he was a better songwriter than Keith and wanted to take over Keith´s place as major songwriting-force and licked MJ´s boots. His intend was to spoil the Glimmer´s friendship and songwriting-partnership. Of course Keith didnt like that very much.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:05

Stones tours have many expenses. These expenses are now down due to Mick Taylor's absence. Also the new sax player and Lisa Fisher replacement are being paid less than Bobby and Lisa. Common sense would say so.

Date: April 15, 2016 21:29

HMS
Redhotcarpet
Socrates1

Imo, He walked before they made him run.
Keith`s gotten tired of having him in the band. Haughty MT always thought he was a better songwriter than Keith and wanted to take over Keith´s place as major songwriting-force and licked MJ´s boots. His intend was to spoil the Glimmer´s friendship and songwriting-partnership. Of course Keith didnt like that very much.

Damn, you're amazing! The way you can know what Mick Taylor is thinking, and how you, and only you, uncovered his intended diabolical scheme to split up Mick and Keith, to divide & conquer, and take over the Stones! That haughty bastard!! He is haughty, you know. Haughty!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home