Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 9, 2015 22:06

kleermaker
Anyway, I don't want to see him play with Wood anymore, standing in his shadow moreover, for heaven's sake!

A childhood trauma Keessie? I remember The Hague 1976, you were there too?
I left the venue after four songs because I missed Taylor's playing. He decided to leave the band, we cannot blame Ron Wood for that. I would even go further than that: I cannot stand seeing Taylor in his own shadow moreover, for heaven's sake! Maybe I'm getting old.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 9, 2015 23:24

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Anyway, I don't want to see him play with Wood anymore, standing in his shadow moreover, for heaven's sake!

I left the venue after four songs because I missed Taylor's playing. He decided to leave the band, we cannot blame Ron Wood for that. I would even go further than that: I cannot stand seeing Taylor in his own shadow moreover, for heaven's sake! Maybe I'm getting old.
It is an old story, they still made great music and thrill their fans. Fact is if Wood was outstanding we'd have little to complain about but we know it's not the case, he had a lousy night in Dallas and needs to step up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 9, 2015 23:27

This is the music they could have played with MT

and not plink, plink

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2015 23:44

LuxuryStones
kleermaker

More a lifelong trauma, Luxury. Yes I was there too, at the first show. The second one I heard trough my open windows, for I lived in The Hague back then, the weather was beautiful and the wind 'favourable'.

I recall that I bought a bootleg from the 1975 tour and was shocked by what I heard. I hadn't realized yet that Taylor was gone, but then I knew it.

But that show in The Hague was just around my corner, so I went to it. Indeed, not any excitement at all. Then I knew for sure: 'my' Stones didn't exist any longer: they were gone too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 00:27

wow. 40 years.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:07

Turner68
wow.

You can say that again.

Date: June 10, 2015 01:24

kleermaker
Turner68
wow.

You can say that again.

... resisting the temptation to say "wow" again ;-) ...

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:28

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker

More a lifelong trauma, Luxury. Yes I was there too, at the first show. The second one I heard trough my open windows, for I lived in The Hague back then, the weather was beautiful and the wind 'favourable'.

I recall that I bought a bootleg from the 1975 tour and was shocked by what I heard. I hadn't realized yet that Taylor was gone, but then I knew it.

But that show in The Hague was just around my corner, so I went to it. Indeed, not any excitement at all. Then I knew for sure: 'my' Stones didn't exist any longer: they were gone too.

Dang... I hadn't known it was that obvious from the start that Ron Wood was inferior to MT... I'd always figured it took a while for people to start realizing that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:39

I find the suggestions about Taylor playing his own shows rather sad. The Stones need him, and he needs them. Frankly, I have no interest anymore in either one without the other.

Date: June 10, 2015 01:40

71Tele
I find the suggestions about Taylor playing his own shows rather sad. The Stones need him, and he needs them. Frankly, I have no interest anymore in either one without the other.

No kidding... I listened to some of his solo stuff once and wasn't overly impressed... and that was back in 1979. And have you listened to the "solos" from the Stones show in Dallas recently?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 01:41 by HearMeKnockin.

Date: June 10, 2015 01:48

71Tele

i saw the stones in 2013 with taylor. i enjoyed the show a lot and it was amazing to see them play with taylor, something i never thought i'd see.

however, the show was pretty tame. my girlfriend who came with me, and hadn't been to many rock concerts, said "is that what a rock concert was like?" i had to confide in her that no, usually rock concerts rock a lot harder than that.

the slowed down tempos and the crowd sitting in the seats was the same for the taylor songs as well as the non-taylor ones. hearing and seeing taylor play was great, but it didn't change the fact that they're all in their 70s and a touch slower and less edgy than when they were in their 20s.

i guess that's a long winded way of saying that for me at least whether or not taylor is with them doesn't change the fact that at this point it's a nostalgia show - a damn good one, but still more Vegas than El Mocambo or Roundabout.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 01:49 by Turner68.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 10, 2015 02:52

HearMeKnockin
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker

Dang... I hadn't known it was that obvious from the start that Ron Wood was inferior to MT... I'd always figured it took a while for people to start realizing that.
Nope fans knew it immediately.. "Love You Live" was a big comedown from "Ya Ya's".. On the "Some Girls" tour In Philly my entire section was harassing Wood standing in front of him during LIV. Everyone knew this was a remedial version of The Sticky Fingers band we had grown up listening to. There were great guitarists everywhere, Rory, Page, Beck, EC, Betts, Jefferson Starship had a terrific guy, players were killing it, the audience was sophisticated and schooled and knew the deal. Today not so much and guitarists get away with anything resembling a solo. By the early 80's everyone interested had stacks of cassette bootlegs from Taylor's era, it was never a secret and not a gradual thing. Still The Glimmers produced 2 great albums SG & TY, Wood was good on those but they were great producers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 02:57 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 03:01

LieB
If you think about it, it's not so difficult to find someone playing Keith-inspired rhythm guitar and a good country-rock vocalist and Mick T could put on a great SF themed show. He needs to find good people with high musical standards and not do the lead vocals himself. Somebody like Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes could be rhythm guitarist. On lead vocal, why not find somebody within the country or blues genre, like Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, ... there's tons of good people who would probably love to play with Mick T as lead guitarist. Heck, maybe he could even persuade Bill Wyman to play bass on a few shows. The key to it would be to not try to imitate the Stones too much, but also not sound like a second rate bar band either.

A collaboration with Ryan Adams would be a dream come true for me, I'm a huge RA fan. Some of his early stuff with Whiskeytown does have a real Stonsey vibe to it.

I really hope MT does something, the second ever blues/rock concert I saw was John Mayall with MT back in 2004 - the guy's got too much talent to do nothing. Before he signed on to tour with the Stones in 2013 he was planning some solo shows which he had to scrap for obvious reasons. I wonder if he'll pick up where he left off so to speak. Him and Bill doing some shows together is a no-brainer, no idea whether they get on/Bill would be up for it though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-10 03:02 by Seb91.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 10, 2015 04:07

71Tele

Pretty sad statement actually. Taylor is still a tremendously exciting guitar player these days. Seeing him solo has always been a treat, as much so as seeing him for one song with the Stones actually.

I understand (and share) your severe disappointment over the lost opportunity to continue to add something truly special to Stones shows, but you are selling MT short by believing he needs the Stones. Of course it's just your opinion but probably not shared by many Taylor fans. Many of us want to see him play under any conditions.

I could see Taylor joining a number of different groups, like Little Feat... the list of artists and acts , known and unknown, that he could magically embellish is long and the possibilities of him getting a great band of his own together are just as exciting, imo.

I also think that if you forced yourself to go to a Stones show this tour you would be surprised at the joy still incumbent in the experience. They still put on a pretty damn good rock show.

peace

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 05:30

I don't like any of those guitarists named above very much and it was obvious to me how different the Stones were in '75 without Mick Tatlor. The only benefit was getting to hear Keith more. Woody contributed comsiderably to the studio sound they developed in the Some Girls era, but the band was inconsistent until '81, when they got it together. The Live in Texas show is terrific, but the shows I saw in '78 were not.

Date: June 10, 2015 06:35

TeddyB1018
I don't like any of those guitarists named above very much and it was obvious to me how different the Stones were in '75 without Mick Tatlor. The only benefit was getting to hear Keith more. Woody contributed comsiderably to the studio sound they developed in the Some Girls era, but the band was inconsistent until '81, when they got it together. The Live in Texas show is terrific, but the shows I saw in '78 were not.

Of course the best Stones guitarist ever was Mick Taylor. They should let him back on the tour to play on a bunch of songs, but the Glimmers' egos won't let them allow such a thing... And they wouldn't want to hurt the delicate feelings of Ronnie, or risk improving the stage product...

Date: June 10, 2015 06:35

Turner68
71Tele

i saw the stones in 2013 with taylor. i enjoyed the show a lot and it was amazing to see them play with taylor, something i never thought i'd see.

however, the show was pretty tame. my girlfriend who came with me, and hadn't been to many rock concerts, said "is that what a rock concert was like?" i had to confide in her that no, usually rock concerts rock a lot harder than that.

the slowed down tempos and the crowd sitting in the seats was the same for the taylor songs as well as the non-taylor ones. hearing and seeing taylor play was great, but it didn't change the fact that they're all in their 70s and a touch slower and less edgy than when they were in their 20s.

i guess that's a long winded way of saying that for me at least whether or not taylor is with them doesn't change the fact that at this point it's a nostalgia show - a damn good one, but still more Vegas than El Mocambo or Roundabout.

Agree that the show wasn't close to being what it could have been with more Taylor involvement (like on the somgs he recorded with them!), but Taylor with them (even in a limited role) was the only thing that brought me back after seeing countless "nostalgia" shows. Simply no reason for me to go anymore.

Date: June 10, 2015 06:39

Naturalust
71Tele

Pretty sad statement actually. Taylor is still a tremendously exciting guitar player these days. Seeing him solo has always been a treat, as much so as seeing him for one song with the Stones actually.

I understand (and share) your severe disappointment over the lost opportunity to continue to add something truly special to Stones shows, but you are selling MT short by believing he needs the Stones. Of course it's just your opinion but probably not shared by many Taylor fans. Many of us want to see him play under any conditions.

I could see Taylor joining a number of different groups, like Little Feat... the list of artists and acts , known and unknown, that he could magically embellish is long and the possibilities of him getting a great band of his own together are just as exciting, imo.

I also think that if you forced yourself to go to a Stones show this tour you would be surprised at the joy still incumbent in the experience. They still put on a pretty damn good rock show.

peace

I saw Taylor in a club years ago with third-rate musicians, and it was a sorry spectacle. I am not interested in him as a solo artist, I am interested in a Rolling Stones that include Mick Taylor. I do not care for blues-based lead guitar acts, and that's what Taylor is solo. I don't find his prospects as "exciting" as you do, unfortunately. I could care less about Little Feat.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 10, 2015 06:57

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele

peace

I saw Taylor in a club years ago with third-rate musicians, and it was a sorry spectacle. I am not interested in him as a solo artist, I am interested in a Rolling Stones that include Mick Taylor. I do not care for blues-based lead guitar acts, and that's what Taylor is solo. I don't find his prospects as "exciting" as you do, unfortunately. I could care less about Little Feat.

Well since you care less about the Stones without Taylor too, perhaps you would appreciate Little Feat with Taylor. smoking smiley Or at least Taylor with some other first rate musicians with more song based, less blues based material. Anything is possible except that which you so desire for this tour, time to move on.

peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 10, 2015 10:56

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele

peace

I think most of us would agree that Taylor returning to his by now familiar blues band setup is, again, not a good idea. He needs new songs and new ideas, whether he achieves them through a high profile collaboration or on his own. I think Tele is right that the people he's played with in the past have often left something to be desired, although not all of them (Max Middleton has been a great sparring partner for him and is very much on his level musically, I think).

Date: June 10, 2015 11:05

TeddyB1018

Voila!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:08

DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

Voila!

Yes. That was certainly the best long range benefit too.

Date: June 10, 2015 11:09

HearMeKnockin
TeddyB1018

Of course the best Stones guitarist ever was Mick Taylor. They should let him back on the tour to play on a bunch of songs, but the Glimmers' egos won't let them allow such a thing... And they wouldn't want to hurt the delicate feelings of Ronnie, or risk improving the stage product...

No guitar player in the Stones has been more important for the Stones than Keith Richards. Please get that. When we say «best» in the Stones, it's AFTER Keith.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:52

No guitar player in the Stones has been more important for the Stones than Keith Richards. Please get that. When we say «best» in the Stones, it's AFTER Keith.

Hrrmm...!!!

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:53

DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor, as nice as he once played, is a dime a dozen guitar player. Anything The Stones ever did wouldn't be diminished in the least had Keith played all the parts. My preference would have been Keith doing just that thus avoiding (for me) the tediousness of CYHMK & TWFNO; to name two.

Keith has always been the more clever player in the idiom...thankfully we were spared the tinkle tinkle arpeggio's that laid on Brown Sugar before clearer heads prevailed.

What MT could play was some credible blues; especially with a tube. That's where his jones was. Fantastic stuff, and perfect for a two guitar band.

Date: June 10, 2015 12:03

Come On

Hrrmm...!!!

I meant for the Stones's guitar sound.

Date: June 10, 2015 12:17

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Hrrmm...!!!

Hrrmm...!!! again...don't forget the sound on 'Little red Rooster' and 'No Expectation'...that was only 2 of maybe 1000 examples...winking smileycool smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 10, 2015 12:18

TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor, as nice as he once played, is a dime a dozen guitar player. Anything The Stones ever did wouldn't be diminished in the least had Keith played all the parts. My preference would have been Keith doing just that thus avoiding (for me) the tediousness of CYHMK & TWFNO; to name two.

Keith has always been the more clever player in the idiom...thankfully we were spared the tinkle tinkle arpeggio's that laid on Brown Sugar before clearer heads prevailed.

What MT could play was some credible blues; especially with a tube. That's where his jones was. Fantastic stuff, and perfect for a two guitar band.

Date: June 10, 2015 12:19

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Hrrmm...!!!

Hrrmm...!!! again...don't forget the sound on 'Little red Rooster' and 'No Expectation'...that was only 2 of maybe 1000 examples...winking smileycool smileysmoking smiley

smiling smiley We can count them (Brian and Keith's) if you want to...

Date: June 10, 2015 12:21

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Hrrmm...!!!

smiling smiley We can count them (Brian and Keith's) if you want to...

OK, but Please, only the sound that could be defined as blues...tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home