Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...110111112113114115116117118119120...LastNext
Current Page: 115 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: June 5, 2015 15:14

He never tried, but the closest he got was probably Rock'n'Roll Circus. When the Supreme went, so did that tone.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:34

DandelionPowderman
He never tried, but the closest he got was probably Rock'n'Roll Circus. When the Supreme went, so did that tone.

Of course I meant: he never did such a good solo as that one on YaYa's Sympathy. Not any one on any (other) song.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:38

Technical capacities do not necessarily give us the most enjoyable solos.
On the other hand, some real fine solos don't need spectacular technical capacities:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:40

The trade-off solo in SFD on Get Ya-Yas out is one of the best guitarist solo trades of all time. I think MT's solo at the end is amazing. However, in talking to friends of mine who are professional guitarists they have said that the limited amount of notes Keef hit in his solo and the fluidity was actually technically more adept than MT's later solo.

But for sure Ronnie and Keef never did anything close to that.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:53

DandelionPowderman

So it was not him playing then on his own anyway, if I am reading in between the lines correctly?
Then that would be a one off performance beyond his standard.

Not that it has to do anything with music directly, but as a Christian (even though a rather liberal one) I like the music without the outside help of otherworldly dark forces - I did read Mick and Keith (to a lesser extent) dabbled with the occult in the late 60s not only in lyrics.

As for Keith – when I first saw the 76 Paris video, I was amazed how good he was. To each his own. To me, judging a player on not being able to reignite the magic of one performance as a sign of deteoriation is way off. That would mean, he was going downhill from 1969 onwards, which I think is not true. Yes, he was weaker (especially in the mid 90s and early 2000s, but he was never the amazing speed & fluidity kind of guy, and nor is Ronnie.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:00

stonehearted
<<I don't really think Keith sees himself as a great soloist>>

I seem to recall one of the 90s interviews with Keith where he says something to the effect of "I'm not a great soloist. I tried..."

As a guitar player I know what I can do. It doesn't matter about the B.B. Kings, Eric Claptons and Mick Taylors, 'cause they do what they do - but I know they can't do what I do. They can play as many notes under the sun but they just can't hold that rhythm down, BABY. I know what I can do and what I can't. Everything I do is strongly based on rhythm 'cause that's what I'm best at. I've tried being a great guitar player and, like Chuck Berry, I have failed.

- Keith Richards

Taylor has worked with his former bandmates on various occasions since leaving the Rolling Stones. In 1977 he attended London-based sessions for the John Phillips album Pay Pack & Follow, appearing on several tracks alongside Jagger (vocals), Richards (guitar) and Wood (bass) – taking notable solos on the songs "Oh Virginia" and "Zulu Warrior". A possibly apocryphal story is that after Taylor played a particularly jaw-dropping solo in the studio, Richards half-jokingly exclaimed, "That's why I never liked you, you bastard!". - Wiki

Date: June 5, 2015 16:33

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Of course I meant: he never did such a good solo as that one on YaYa's Sympathy. Not any one on any (other) song.

Of course he did. I just posted one.

Date: June 5, 2015 16:34

Poetry
DandelionPowderman

So it was not him playing then on his own anyway, if I am reading in between the lines correctly?
Then that would be a one off performance beyond his standard.

Not that it has to do anything with music directly, but as a Christian (even though a rather liberal one) I like the music without the outside help of otherworldly dark forces - I did read Mick and Keith (to a lesser extent) dabbled with the occult in the late 60s not only in lyrics.

As for Keith – when I first saw the 76 Paris video, I was amazed how good he was. To each his own. To me, judging a player on not being able to reignite the magic of one performance as a sign of deteoriation is way off. That would mean, he was going downhill from 1969 onwards, which I think is not true. Yes, he was weaker (especially in the mid 90s and early 2000s, but he was never the amazing speed & fluidity kind of guy, and nor is Ronnie.

An amp is a part of a guitarist, not a dark force...

I agree about the Paris show. He learned that he lost his son, and went out and did a fantastic show.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:36

Richards/Wood guitar weaving is insane. They're both playing lead, basically. But weaving together so it sounds rhythmic.
It's Brian Jones style of playing. They stopped it when Mick Taylor joined. Keith brought it back when Ronnie Wood joined

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:59

stonehearted

I seem to recall one of the 90s interviews with Keith where he says something to the effect of "I'm not a great soloist. I tried..."

He said "I tried, but just like Chuck Berry, I've failed". Keith is a modest man sometimes.

Date: June 5, 2015 17:04

LuxuryStones
stonehearted

He said "I tried, but just like Chuck Berry, I've failed". Keith is a modest man sometimes.

I would say: a realistic man.

Posted by: chiller99 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:27

To keep it simple,MTs guitar just doesnt flow with the groove the rest of the band anymore,guy is a great talent but his sound doesnt mesh.On the other hand Karl Denson seems to have fit in well.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:37

[www.youtube.com]

I would bet many posters here would agree that the whole band does groove here with Taylor.

I respectfully disagree with your comment

play the guitar boy

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:49

EasterMan
Richards/Wood guitar weaving is insane. They're both playing lead, basically. But weaving together so it sounds rhythmic.
It's Brian Jones style of playing. They stopped it when Mick Taylor joined. Keith brought it back when Ronnie Wood joined

Agreed. Something important was missing from their sound 1969-1973. The Rolling Stones are not interesting for me without great guitar interaction + a tight rhythm section = 1964-1967 + 1975-2007.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 18:10

DandelionPowderman
When did Keith play as good as this in the early 70s, and when did Taylor and Keith weave better than Ronnie and Keith did in this clip?

wow, thanks for sharing that. they were hot that night.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 5, 2015 18:47

Keith was often a great soloist. Not only SFTD, but the Berry tunes on YaYas are very nice. He has long ago lost that fluidity though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 18:49 by 71Tele.

Date: June 5, 2015 19:04

71Tele
Keith was often a great soloist. Not only SFTD, but the Berry tunes on YaYas are very nice. He has long ago lost that fluidity though.

But those Berry solos are hardly solos, but some sort of solos, if you understand what I mean. The solos on Under My Thumb 1969 are better examples, though they are pretty rudimentary too. Keith simply isn't born as a soloist.

But hey, this is a Mick Taylor thread!

Date: June 5, 2015 19:07

71Tele

He doesn't play as well in his 70s as he did in his 20s. So true. And yet, he still plays.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 5, 2015 19:21

Just read the RS article. Another immature, uncalled-for dick move from Richards - first that bullshit about Taylor being sick, now this. How the mighty fall. I think it's a shame that Rolling Stone's writers appear not to read their own magazine's output, since a follow up question on what Keith actually knew at the time of his last interview would have been reasonable there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 19:23 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 5, 2015 19:40

By all means, good that he still plays.

Date: June 5, 2015 19:41

Stoneburst
Just read the RS article. Another immature, uncalled-for dick move from Richards - first that bullshit about Taylor being sick, now this. How the mighty fall. I think it's a shame that Rolling Stone's writers appear not to read their own magazine's output, since a follow up question on what Keith actually knew at the time of his last interview would have been reasonable there.

I don't know how you can say that without knowing what transpired. There are many scenarios where Keith could be protecting taylor by not saying what the real deal is.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:00

chiller99
To keep it simple,MTs guitar just doesnt flow with the groove the rest of the band anymore,guy is a great talent but his sound doesnt mesh.On the other hand Karl Denson seems to have fit in well.

I respectfully must disagree. I'd sure like to find out though, more collaboration than just a song where he is basically told to play a solo. I think you'd be surprised at just how well he could "flow with the groove". No doubt it would change and shake up the music a bit, but I truly believe in a good way.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 22:02 by Naturalust.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 5, 2015 22:57

I just have to say that I love this forum and the people who inhabit it. This thread makes me happy.

Honestly, I am excited about seeing the Stones in Nashville in a few weeks. But I am genuinely bummed that my dad will not get to hear Taylor slay Rambler or CYHMK.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:00

@Flacnvinyl Family business, that's awesome! Have lots of fun.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:08

For KR to say EC and MT can't groove as rhythm guitarists is preposterous. Clapton in his day was a ferocious groove master. MT his chord work speaks for itself. His work on WH is just one perfect example. There are guys who can do both. Steve Stills comes to mind as one of rocks greatest all around players. Today KR needs to hand SFD to Ron or change the arraignment. There's not much embarrassing about the concerts but SFD's solo is not musical or vibey. Bad is bad, no reason for this.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:15

Turner68
Stoneburst

I don't know how you can say that without knowing what transpired. There are many scenarios where Keith could be protecting taylor by not saying what the real deal is.

How exactly does spreading false rumours about MT's health amount to protecting him?

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:18

Yes, Clapton could play great rhytm guitar - I do have a lot of boots from the Cream, Dominos and his solo years. Mick Taylor was very good too. I think what Keith meant was they were not as good as him in this department, as oppposed to soloing - not that they were bad at rhytm. Neither of them redefined the role of rhytm guitar in rock the late sixties/early seventies as did Keith and Pete Townshend, in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 23:32 by Poetry.

Date: June 5, 2015 23:19

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

I would bet many posters here would agree that the whole band does groove here with Taylor.

I respectfully disagree with your comment

play the guitar boy

I was there and they sure did!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:47

Stoneburst
Turner68
Stoneburst

How exactly does spreading false rumours about MT's health amount to protecting him?

I actually believe Keith was telling the truth. Not necessarily about Taylor's health but just about what he had heard. It is just a bit too strange to think otherwise.

Absolutely no disrespect to Taylor or inside knowledge about the truth of the matter but I always though that yanking guy out of his first rehab after 40+ years of insobriety straight onto the the Stones stage (as Taylor himself stated) and then dropping him off back in the real world at a different location was a recipe for trouble.

I imagine even the smallest perception that he wasn't completely sober after the tour would have been enough for Mick and Co. to pull the plug considering Ronnie's situation. If there even was a plug to pull and as ironic as that may seem for the Rolling Stones.

Listening to the late Andy Johns talk about all the uncomfortable feelings that flood back all at once from all the years of supressing them with drugs and alcohol, I have nothing but love and empathy for Taylor as he's probably not immune to that whole process

I am only saying all this because of what Taylor himself stated in an interview about his rehab/recovery process which got me thinking about his situation.

peace

Date: June 5, 2015 23:52

Naturalust
Stoneburst
Turner68
Stoneburst

I actually believe Keith was telling the truth. Not necessarily about Taylor's health but just about what he had heard. It is just a bit too strange to think otherwise.

Absolutely no disrespect to Taylor or inside knowledge about the truth of the matter but I always though that yanking guy out of his first rehab after 40+ years of insobriety straight onto the the Stones stage (as Taylor himself stated) and then dropping him off back in the real world at a different location was a recipe for trouble.

I imagine even the smallest perception that he wasn't completely sober after the tour would have been enough for Mick and Co. to pull the plug considering Ronnie's situation. If there even was a plug to pull and as ironic as that may seem for the Rolling Stones.

Listening to the late Andy Johns talk about all the uncomfortable feelings that flood back all at once from all the years of supressing them with drugs and alcohol, I have nothing but love and empathy for Taylor as he's probably not immune to that whole process

I am only saying all this because of what Taylor himself stated in an interview about his rehab/recovery process which got me thinking about his situation.

peace

Well said.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...110111112113114115116117118119120...LastNext
Current Page: 115 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home