Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:02

i am not over it at all !

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:42

71Tele
bitusa2012
The Stones have been THESE Stones for 40 bloody years.

I heard them in Adelaide and twice in Perth in 2014. THESE Stones, The Stones of 40 years, of Jagger/Richards/Wood/Watts, with stripped back brass and harmony vocalists, sounded just fine to me. GREAT IN FACT. MY first show was The Stones at the WACA in Perth back in 73. They played an hour. A GREAT HOUR. But...

THEY NOW PLAY FOR 2 hours. And they play EXTREMELY well. Unless one of the current, of 40 years, guitarists has had a finger or two amputated since they played 6 months ago, as much as I loved Taylor on Rambler, he added nothing to Satisfaction. So, celebration tour is over. The Stones are back on the road. Be grateful.

Tailor has been gone for 40 bloody years. More years than many of us have been around! He was great. Bill has been gone for 25-26 years. He was great. But they chose to leave the greatest band and the greatest gig in the world, for reasons I can respect. But THEY left.. Get over it. The Stones.... THESE STONES still cut the mustard. It's just DIFFERENT mustard. And, it has been for decades.

You should get over that we won't get over it.

The return of majestatis pluralis and the end of the shortest self-imposed exile.
I get over it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:51

shortfatfanny
71Tele
bitusa2012
The Stones have been THESE Stones for 40 bloody years.

I heard them in Adelaide and twice in Perth in 2014. THESE Stones, The Stones of 40 years, of Jagger/Richards/Wood/Watts, with stripped back brass and harmony vocalists, sounded just fine to me. GREAT IN FACT. MY first show was The Stones at the WACA in Perth back in 73. They played an hour. A GREAT HOUR. But...

THEY NOW PLAY FOR 2 hours. And they play EXTREMELY well. Unless one of the current, of 40 years, guitarists has had a finger or two amputated since they played 6 months ago, as much as I loved Taylor on Rambler, he added nothing to Satisfaction. So, celebration tour is over. The Stones are back on the road. Be grateful.

Tailor has been gone for 40 bloody years. More years than many of us have been around! He was great. Bill has been gone for 25-26 years. He was great. But they chose to leave the greatest band and the greatest gig in the world, for reasons I can respect. But THEY left.. Get over it. The Stones.... THESE STONES still cut the mustard. It's just DIFFERENT mustard. And, it has been for decades.

You should get over that we won't get over it.

The return of majestatis pluralis and the end of the shortest self-imposed exile.
I get over it.

No worries. Exile resumed.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:54

I am reading that Mick Taylor will not be on the Zipcode tour.
God bless Mick Taylor.
I wish the best for him.
I am thinking about the many many Mick Taylor fans here who will be upset that Mick T is not on the Zipcode tour.
I am sad for them.
But, this is the way it is and I accept it.
I am sure the Zipcode tour will be great.
I can't go- no money, but I saw the Stones in 2013 and was in the Pit, so
I am blessed forever.
I wish all fans the very best and will be reading your posts with interest.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:02

WindyHorses
I am reading that Mick Taylor will not be on the Zipcode tour.
God bless Mick Taylor.
I wish the best for him.
I am thinking about the many many Mick Taylor fans here who will be upset that Mick T is not on the Zipcode tour.
I am sad for them.
But, this is the way it is and I accept it.
I am sure the Zipcode tour will be great.
I can't go- no money, but I saw the Stones in 2013 and was in the Pit, so
I am blessed forever.
I wish all fans the very best and will be reading your posts with interest.

A classy post!thumbs up Really nice to read posts people caring about other's feelings.

All the best for you too!

- Doxa

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:05

jlowe
On my mind right now.
Mick has been quoted in many interviews as saying a big factor in leaving the Stones was its drug culture and fears on his own health.
So he quits and walks into another band...with exactly the same problem and without the same infrastructure to provide support.
He must have known....has he given an explanation?

He said in 2012 (Mojo ?) that it was the wrong decision and that he should have stayed with his "friends" (his words").

On topic, MJ was asked about Taylor in the RS interview [www.rollingstone.com] and he's still being somewhat "diplomatic" about Taylor :
Q : Are you bringing Mick Taylor on this tour?
A : I don't think so. We're not. Not on this tour.

Maybe a future tour then, would have made sense to have him for a SF/ZIP inspired tour but they probably didn't want to get him/fans to think he would now be a permanent guest/backing like say Bernard or Lisa or Tim, or Blondie for a while. Many good/business reasons for that I suppose...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 20:18 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 7, 2015 20:23

gotdablouse

On topic, MJ was asked about Taylor in the RS interview [www.rollingstone.com] and he's still being somewhat "diplomatic" about Taylor :

Maybe a future tour then, would have made sense to have him for a SF/ZIP inspired tour but they probably didn't want to get him/fans to think he would now be a permanent guest/backup like say Bernard or Lisa or Tim, or Blondie for a while. Many good/business reasons for that I suppose...

Yeah, Mick gives the impression that nothing fatal or final has happened, and Tayor might show up one day/tour again. Something just happened for this particular tour. I personally have given up any speculation whatever that "something" is... Seemingly always when Taylor 'disappears', we all are just left with quesses...grinning smiley

Another impression I get from Mick is: 'look, if Taylor is there or not, it's not any big deal'.

- Doxa

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:34

Look, Mick Taylor left the band. He was not fired. They did not have to ask him back and Ronnie is a gent to play with him on and off Stones tours. And how do you think the band feel? They are the God@#$n Rolling Stones and the guy quits! Then fans still can't be happy after they invite him back for the 50th.

I rather like the point of view that Jagger/Richards/Watts/Wood have been the Stones for 40 years together. It's time to move on and enjoy.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:35

Doxa
gotdablouse

Maybe a future tour then, would have made sense to have him for a SF/ZIP inspired tour but they probably didn't want to get him/fans to think he would now be a permanent guest/backup like say Bernard or Lisa or Tim, or Blondie for a while. Many good/business reasons for that I suppose...

Yeah, Mick gives the impression that nothing fatal or final has happened, and Tayor might show up one day/tour again. Something just happened for this particular tour. I personally have given up any speculation whatever that "something" is... Seemingly always when Taylor 'disappears', we all are just left with quesses...grinning smiley

Another impression I get from Mick is: 'look, if Taylor is there or not, it's not any big deal'.

- Doxa

Boy. Mick is good at these interviews. I've never seen a 10 word answer that covers every possible present and future potentiality so perfectly...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:45

Lol nah. Mick just knows how to play the game. If Taylor doesn't come back this tour, he's never coming back. They gave him his chance and I think Jagger wants to shut that lid as quick as possible. "Not on this tour" is code for "get over it, its done." Sorry, but thats just how it is. You're fooling yourself if you're thinking otherwise.

Having said that, I do think its very sad. Taylor was SO good on those anniversary shows and he only got better as time went on. I never thought he'd be back in the band, but I just wanted to see them all make amends. I guess they did, and I got caught up in the pandora's box of you bring him now, when he leaves its going to be glaring. And thats kind of what it is. There's no other way to say it. I just really wish the surviving members of the Rolling Stones could tour as the Rolling Stones at this point. Taylor more than anything (nothing against Bill but many could live with a different bassist) really added fresh blood, and now that we know definitively he won't be there, I'm sadder than I thought. If anything only because this genius guitarist will now probably go back to playing 5 shows a year at tiny bars primarily in England. I just want him and other guys similar (Peter Green, other underrated guitarists) not fade into oblivion as they get older.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:59

Don't be so sure RollingFreak. Although I mostly agree with your post I could see several situations where Taylor could rejoin the Stones for shows. Celebrations with all surviving members is a future possibility, also if for some reason Keith's ability to play is reduced to a point where another guitarist is needed to help the songs work. Keith is playing less than 1/2 of the notes and rhythms that he did in his prime, if he keeps this trend up, it might be sooner than you think.

Basically if Mick thinks another guitarist is necessary to make the music work, I'd still hope Taylor is first on the list to oblige. Imo they are almost at that point now and instead of Blondie banging out Keith's missing parts from behind the stage, I'd much prefer to see MT doing it from his corner on the stage. But first they need to make a MT corner on the stage for him again. Possibly far stage right like in the old days, not center like last tour, somewhere his support role is not too obvious visually but musically it's solid as ever.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:20

well, what could happen:

a Pay Per View concert featuring the whole Sticky Fingers..with Mick Taylor..

just for that one show, it would be better than nothing and would honor the album, I really think it would work..

someone mentioned this idea earlier in this thread, I think..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:34

I still dont get this obsession with having a SF concert(s).
Sure the tour will give the latest incarnation some useful publicity and keep the record company sweet. But as with all albums SF contains some duds.
I remember Roger Walters did his Wall tour some 30 years after its original creation. Talk about milking it.

Date: April 7, 2015 22:42

jlowe
I still dont get this obsession with having a SF concert(s).
Sure the tour will give the latest incarnation some useful publicity and keep the record company sweet. But as with all albums SF contains some duds.
I remember Roger Walters did his Wall tour some 30 years after its original creation. Talk about milking it.

I can't think of a single dud off Sticky Fingers. In terms of Stones records it was arguably the one with all good songs! A great record considering all the ones out there with only one or two decent songs.

I take it you never saw Roger Water's Wall concerts. Highly entertaining stuff, so much new creative input and effort that it wasn't even close to being all about the music or milking an old concept. It was it's own, very new thing and at the time, some of the very best entertainment value for the buck, imho.

peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:48

I don't think there are "duds" on Sticky Fingers. Agreed though not appropriate
For a stadium crowd.

Date: April 7, 2015 22:57

well they are re releasing it..

so therefore they're kind of touring it..

but there are a couple of songs that, if past performance is any indication,

are going to be really conspicuous:

Sway is one..

Moonlight Mile is another..

we're used to performances of CYHMK, with Ronnie..

now there's no Bobby, and presumably no Taylor.

Moonlight Mile worked pretty well the few times they tried it live, didn't it?

as have the others, but 'Sway' just doesn't..

its the one standout album cut that has proved elusive for them to play live and get the grungy strength of the song..

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 7, 2015 23:22

The Stones cant do jusice to their best studio album live without having Taylor along. Its really sad that they cant work with each other, but at the same time it would be hard to hear another lame version of Sway with him. They've played aweful versions ot that song since they started to play it live. I guess it's too slow for Jagger. Anyway I payed lot's of money to get to hear the Stones with Taylor on Rambler, and I will always know that it was the best memory from any Stones concert I've been to. Unfortunately I was not born when he was part of the band, but I'm really greatful that I got a taste of it at the end. As many have pointed out: all things must pass, and it's time to get over it. The Stones have been a nostalgica band for decades now, and they seem to enjoy playing it safe. I'm happy for all the fans that still enjoys their live act, and wish you all a great summer folowing them. For me it's time to move on - they kept me hanging on way longer than I would hav imagined 20 years a go. I will always love them but this is it for me when it comes to atending concrets.
I just hope Taylor is well, and that he still finds spirit to play the blues.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 8, 2015 00:00

one of the side effects of taylor not being on the tour is that it has triggered jagger derangement syndrome [JDS]in a number of fans.
the onset of jds comes quickly,the patient becomes angry at the aging rockstar for a number of reasons both real and imagined and it can be set off at anytime.

if a friend or family member becomes afflicted with jds do the following-

calmly explain that we dont really know why mr taylor isn't going to be on tour and it could be-
1.mr taylor is ill
2.he doesnt want to be there
3.a certain mr richards may not want to spend the hours upon hours required to work the rolling stones into a 3 guitar band.
4.the band may have decided collectively they want to carry on being a two guitar band, they way they've been for over 50 years.
5.mr taylor has other obligations.
6.taylor has left the music business and joined isis
7.reasons we will never know and therefore cant pin on mick jagger
8.charlie didnt like his clothes
9.his trips to the backstage buffet resulted in a loss for the band
10.he joined the allman brothers

Date: April 8, 2015 00:14

lem motlow
one of the side effects of taylor not being on the tour is that it has triggered jagger derangement syndrome [JDS]in a number of fans.
the onset of jds comes quickly,the patient becomes angry at the aging rockstar for a number of reasons both real and imagined and it can be set off at anytime.

calmly explain that we dont really know why mr taylor isn't going to be on tour and it could be-
1.mr taylor is ill
3.a certain mr richards may not want to spend the hours upon hours required to work the rolling stones into a 3 guitar band.
4.the band may have decided collectively they want to carry on being a two guitar band, they way they've been for over 50 years.

Symptoms include a driving desire to see Jagger stand as still as Taylor for an entire show, the need to attach incredibly detailed meanings to Mick's slightest stutter during an interview, delusional fantasies of forcing Mick to sit and repeatedly listen to all of Taylor's recorded material with the Stones and replacing his library with printed copies of this thread (disguised as classical poetry) and dreams where Taylor is the fit and trim leader of the band and Jagger is forced to wear scarves to cover his triple chin, defers to Taylor for set list and business decisions and has to ask MT for permission to give interviews . grinning smiley
peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 8, 2015 00:27

lem motlow

1.mr taylor is ill

None of these are the reason Taylor isn't with them.

Date: April 8, 2015 00:35

71Tele
lem motlow

1.mr taylor is ill

None of these are the reason Taylor isn't with them.

I think 2 and 3 might be the most plausible..

but what is the reason..?

insurance or something..

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 8, 2015 00:44

duke richardson
well, what could happen:

a Pay Per View concert featuring the whole Sticky Fingers..with Mick Taylor..

just for that one show, it would be better than nothing and would honor the album, I really think it would work..

someone mentioned this idea earlier in this thread, I think..

Sadly, I have no hope of that happening...That would lead to the tricky question of "Why not the whole tour? which I'm sure Mick would anticipate and not want to answer...

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: April 8, 2015 01:49

I am just so sad - that's all.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 8, 2015 02:17

<<but what is the reason..?

insurance or something..>>

An effort to change the concept and focus of the tour.

It becomes a bit pointless to continue celebrating your 50th anniversary as a band when this year will mark the start of their 54th year--a bit like celebrating Christmas in April.

Date: April 8, 2015 02:32

stonehearted

It becomes a bit pointless to continue celebrating your 50th anniversary as a band when this year will mark the start of their 54th year--a bit like celebrating Christmas in April.

If that is true then the weight and significance of Taylor cameo is actually bigger than we thought. Just getting rid of one speciality to enrich "Midnight Rambler" and rename the tour will "change the concept and focus"...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 8, 2015 02:37

Doxa
stonehearted

If that is true then the weight and significance of Taylor cameo is actually bigger than we thought. Just getting rid of one speciality to enrich "Midnight Rambler" and rename the tour will "change the concept and focus"...grinning smiley

- Doxa

In that case, I've come to a decision. The next obvious deluxe album treatment is for Tattoo You. And when they do the tour to support it, I wonder if people here will show the same solidarity and passion for Wayne Perkins that they have shown for Mick Taylor. For what would Tattoo You played straight through be without a guest cameo on Worried About You by the man who played on the original recording?

As of now I'm starting a new camp to rival the Taylorites. I'll call it the Perkinsonians. Are you with me?

Date: April 8, 2015 02:48

duke richardson

but what is the reason..?

After 42 pages of discussion, deep contemplation, credible tutoring and common sense I've come to the conclusion that they simply chose to not invite him on the Zip Code tour. Who made the decision is something we will never really know or really matters, in the end it is the responsibility of all 4 members.

I do wonder if major decisions are voted on and with 4 members and if so, how ties are decided. Does Ronnie have as much say as Mick? But generally I think they are all happy Mick is willing to spend the time and effort to organize and make most of the decisions, trust that they will be well taken care of and basically just go along with the flow and have let Mick have all the control he wants.

peace

Date: April 8, 2015 03:39

stonehearted
Doxa
stonehearted

- Doxa

In that case, I've come to a decision. The next obvious deluxe album treatment is for Tattoo You. And when they do the tour to support it, I wonder if people here will show the same solidarity and passion for Wayne Perkins that they have shown for Mick Taylor. For what would Tattoo You played straight through be without a guest cameo on Worried About You by the man who played on the original recording?

As of now I'm starting a new camp to rival the Taylorites. I'll call it the Perkinsonians. Are you with me?

I'm not quite sure. They already have somehow managed to tour TATTOO YOU with 'just' Ronnie... (but they wisely decided not to play "Worried", even though they rape "Waiting On A Friend", which is, as everybody nows, totally dominated by Taylor's guitar...grinning smiley)

But since predicting is fun, let me try to reconstruct the new concept by pointing out a typical setlist for a ZIP CODE tour concert.

The trouble in conceptual change as far as set lists are concerned is that the set list they have done lately starts to be as perfect it can be. If you want to hear the most familiar and even best Stones songs, and even performed in aesthetically perfect order, the songs supporting each other, giving the listeners a fascinating drama, 14 ON FIRE start to be an ultimate show. They would be fool if they dramatically change that winning concept. Besides, they need to practise helluva lot if they are gpoing to dramatically change the set list. My bet is that they won't. They might do some extra 'Sticky Fingers' speciality show, but when the actual stadium shows are a different animal.

So what we have there is a 19 piece set list, starting with either with "Start Me Up" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash", or if they really get radical, with that zip in their mind, with "Brown Sugar" (this means that either "Start Me Up" or Flash" will take "Brown Sugar"'s place in the end of the show. The show will end up with the same the encore song "You Can't Always Get What You want" (with choir) and "Satisfaction".

Then we have following songs performed (not in particular order, but any 14 ON FIRE show will get a good indication):

"Tumbling Dice"
"It's Only Rock'n'Roll"
"Doom & Gloom" (they need to play this - even though nobody wants to hear it, since it is their most recent thing)
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Miss You"
"Sympathy For The Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
Two of not yet played of the following ones: "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

So that's 12 songs so far. Seven left. We all are thrilled if heavily neglected "Paint It Black", or even that rare-played oddity called "Street Fighting Man" makes a come-back to war horses list... If they do, dare they leave some of the 12 songs above out!eye popping smiley If they do, I'll predict it will be "Midnight Rambler", which also could mean that the show is going to have 20 songs.

Then we have one number by request.
Two or three Keith numbers (depends on the strenght of Mick's voice).

That leaves us three or four songs (at most) as real surprises. The conceptual change and new focus lies there. If they will be very radical, the STICKY FINGERS 'theme' is used here ("Bitch", "Dead Flowers", Wild Horses", "Moonlight Mile", "Sister Morphine", "I Got the Blues"). Probably two or three songs are varied, making each show 'unique'. Some 'new', not much played song will be a regularity, a new "Emotional Rescue". It could be even "Moonlight Mile"! But then again, "You Got Me Rocking", "Out of Control", and "Ruby Tuesday" are still in rotation.

Just about it. And anyone entering the shows will go home happy after having seen a helluva rock and roll show; IORR, like any media, is full of enthusiastic reports, and no one is thinking of any new concepts or stickyfingerses nor missing Taylor... Da Stones, man!...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 03:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: April 8, 2015 04:22

Delete.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 04:52 by bigfrankie.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: April 8, 2015 06:17

Will they play MR without him?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home