Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:00

Stoneage
MrThompsonWooft
How many more times can anyone be thrilled at hearing him play Midnight Rambler? The first time was great but..........

I guess for Taylorites every version is the best one ever. They even enjoy his inaudible acoustic strumming on Satisfaction. Personally I would be thrilled just by
the thought of them skipping that quarter of an hour long song for the forseeable future. It's starting to bore the daylight out of me.

I saw him with them once - the O2 in London 2012. Brilliant. So glad i did it. But don't need to see it again and again.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:02

Mick Taylor is the only one who can save the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:08

Mick taylor should tour with the Sons of the Beatles. I am sure they would appreciate him.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:13

DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
Green Lady
Listen carefully - I shall say this only once

(and then run for the hills)

Of the two people who will not be on the coming tour, I shall miss Bobby Keys far more than I shall miss Mick Taylor.

OK folks, you can get out your shotguns now....

95% of the posters who cared about Taylor and his involvement with the Stones have split or just given up anyway, so you'll survive. It's actually one of the few topics where there isn't blind devotion to anything the group does or says here, but oh well.

So you're saying that I've been here discussing the Stones for 18 years showing nothing but blind devotion for the Stones? If so, you should read more thoroughly smiling smiley

Lots of great info, hefty discussion, criticism and sharing of knowledge. It's all here at IORR + a few Taylorites who only care about Taylor.

I always enjoy it enormously to disagree with you but eye rolling smiley I have to agree with you on this >grinning smiley<
I think the blind devotion can also be found in many posts from Taylorites. Both groups (on the same IORR forum about the same band) should just not exaggerate.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:30

Naturalust

In a way I kind of blame Ronnie, if he would have been a better guitar player with the Stones we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. If anyone can be accused of getting the job because of his non-offensive personality it's him... there are plenty of guitarists who could make the music a lot more exciting.

Spot on. Ronnie was alright, even great back in the 70's and early 80's, but the thing is the thinnss of his legacy with the Stones that just makes Taylor's significance to shine more and more. If he had an ability to real make the difference we won't be so much missing Taylor.

Another thing that has worried me a bit lately. For anyone who likes guitar-based rock and roll the last decades of the Rolling Stones have been a real downgrade. It seems to me that people have accepted the fact that mediocre, even lousy guitar playing is alright. The Stones fans seem to have the lowest possible criterion for a good guitar work. They are very easy to be pleased. Probably that is something like being 'loyal' or something: that is what we get, and we need to accept that. So let that be the norm. And soon whatever Keith or Ronnie are able to come up with, it is "great". No other 'guitar heroes' in this world get so much free passes as our two heroes.

There was another thread in which some claimed that Wood's solos in "Can't You Hear Me KNocking?" in 2003 was better than Taylor's latest efforts. To me that sort of claim marks a sad state of affairs: the whole idea what a great guitar solo is all about is a long ago vanished from Stones' fans memory. What Woodie did back in 2003 was alright, even good, but anything any damn solo guitarist in this world could have done half-sleep. I mean, that is not any rocket science, if we take Rolling Stones fan boy/girl glasses off for a while. But for Woody, it actually was rather expectionally good... a reality check... It could be that when a player like Taylor appears and do something else than stating the obvious, people don't know what to think about it... Keith and Ronnie are good entertainers and showmen, but as guitarists they've been more or less a laughing stock for the last two decades outside the adoring Rolling Stones fan circles. Since Keith if Keef, having more reputation than any rock guitarist ever, he gets a free pass, but Ronnie is just another Stones guitarist, Keith's funny poor little brother, who looks like a rock star.

Having Taylor onboard for a while was the greatest thing that happened to the Stones in guitar department. Surely he wasn't as pheomenal and fluidy he used to be, but still his musicality - and skills - gave them substance that has been lacking for decades. Sad that it ended too soon (and was not used properly while it lasted). Now we are back in the predictable: the adventure in music consist of hoping that Keith is still able hit the riffs of startmeups and brownsugars somehow alright and Ronnie is not hitting the bottle and keeps his act as safe and sure as he have been doing for yaers. Surely the avaeragejoes and 'loyal' superfans are going to have the time of their lives (Jagger, with Chuck, takes care of that), but some of us still have this old unfashionable romantic idea that it is the music that matters, and that has something to do with guitars, and the Stones still could somehow challange us and themselves in that department... The little cameo of Taylor gave us a wrong signal...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 18:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:40

I agree with Doxa.

I saw one of the first CYHMK with Ronnie in Chicago. He was concentrating hard, and he and the crowd were thrilled he could pull it off. I saw him play it again a year or so later, and he was phoning it in.

When I saw MT at the Philadelphia 2 show in 2013, he wasn't phoning anything in. His playing wasn't as achingly beautiful as when I saw him in 1972, and his stage presence was perhaps a little, uh, extreme. But he brought musical adventure, excitement, and a tiny bit of that old danger back.

I'll probably go see the show again, but I'll miss MT.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:45

I keep on watching the CYHMK you tube video in LA from 2013 and you can see it in Chuck Leavels eyes and attitude when they watch and play along with MT on his solo same with Darryl and Bobby as they actually can jam and have fun as musicians.That is what playing live is all about. That is what MT brings to the band a spark of energy to create something different and have some tension between the players.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:46

Wow Doxa... My self imposed exile not withstanding I returned to applaud you. I've seen some interesting stuff here, for example Green Lady mentioning she'll miss Bobby Keys more. That's a no brainer, Bobby played on more songs in 2014 and for me his sound is one with The Rolling Stones. His passing was a sad, sad day and their concerts can never be what they once were. We were very fortunate that Bobby chose to perform in his final days. A great gift from an amazing character. I really believed the band would offer Taylor this tour, not only as Bobby's replacement for some legitimate Stones' solos but as a replacement for our souls and the soul of the band. Each time the cast thins out we get further from the heart of their sound. Maybe this doesn't matter much for a stadiums but without Bobby and Taylor the chance of hearing a mind blowing solo from a real Rolling Stone is greatly diminished. This being April 1st I found this posting buried on Mick Taylor's FBK page, perhaps there is some hope for some fancy guitar playing...
The Rolling Stones have announced their "Zipper" tour this summer for a Sticky Fingers' tribute. While it is true that Mick Taylor will not be appearing on stage he will be performing the album tribute from under the stage. "This way we can have the best of both worlds." say Jagger. "Taylor is too fat to be on stage as a Rolling Stone so instead we have slender Ron Wood running the walkways while Taylor can add his velvet tones without his blubber destroying our visuals." Taylor who was found homeless by Keith Richards after The Stones wrapped up his royalties in litigation for 40 years is thrilled at the chance to tour once again. "I'll pack my bloody pockets with backstage sandwiches, grab some booze and make myself comfortable right below Charlie. I can play their stuff better than them with one hand on the buffet."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 19:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:50

Doxa, you were, are and always will be my favourite poster on this board, thank you.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:54

DandelionPowderman

So you're saying that I've been here discussing the Stones for 18 years showing nothing but blind devotion for the Stones? If so, you should read more thoroughly smiling smiley

Replace "for the Stones" with 'for Keith Richards' and the answer is: yes indeed! cool smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:05

OpenG
I keep on watching the CYHMK you tube video in LA from 2013 and you can see it in Chuck Leavels eyes and attitude when they watch and play along with MT on his solo same with Darryl and Bobby as they actually can jam and have fun as musicians.That is what playing live is all about. That is what MT brings to the band a spark of energy to create something different and have some tension between the players.

play the guitar boy

yes

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:09

Great points, Doxa.

These days a Stones show is more about celebrating the songs (i.e. the choruses) and the as-real-as-you're-gonna-get connection to the heady, rebellious, hedonistic days of 60's and 70's rock.

For most, the guitar nuances that made the Stones stand apart from the pack are well down on the priority list compared to the chance to sing along with the "woo woos" on SFTD, or the "yeah yeah yeah woo" on BS.

The two shows I saw in 2013 had some great moments (Taylor's contributions for sure), some frustratingly close-but-not-quite performances, and some real clunkers.

One of those clunkers was a version of HTW on the first night in Toronto that was just botched.
But nobody was listening to the guitar interplay, in fact you could barely hear it over the crowd singing along.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it's big fun in the moment.
I would have preferred the groove was there and that Keith played the rhythm right, but that's probably just me being a Stones snob.

On the one hand, the Stones play transcendental primal rock n roll, on the other they are a good time party band.

Moments of the former are harder to come by, but by and large they still succeed mightily with the latter.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:14

duke richardson
OpenG

play the guitar boy

yes

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:21

OpenG

play the guitar boy

I just watched it too. That performance is so awesome.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:30

I agree completely with Doxa about the guitar qualities of Ron and Keith of the latter 20 years, and about the lack of any kind of excitement (musically) in what they do. I also agree that bringing back Mick Taylor last year brought back some - musical - adventure, at least to Midnight Rambler (I didn't see the point in him playing Satisfaction on accoustic, as I am sure nobody did).
Still, I don't think bringing back Mick Taylor on board would really solve the problem. Sure, it would make 1 or 2 songs musically more interesting, but it still would be "Las Vegas": bringing back the monkey to do his old tricks.
The current Rolling Stones are Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts. And if they are not able to do more than just playing the same old songs again and again, and very badly at that, then that's what the Stones have become, and nobody can help them.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:36

TravelinMan
OpenG

play the guitar boy

I just watched it too. That performance is so awesome.
Stones moment of the 21st Century... Could have happened every concert, why it didn't we'll never know.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:36

Spot on, Doxa!

There's nothing I can add, perhaps a little observation:

A cousin of mine, more a fan of "classic rock" in general than a Stones fan in particular, went to see the Stones in 1990, 1995, 1999 and 2003. Just one show each tour, and after attending their 2003 Licks show in Oberhausen, he told me: "That was the last time for me. It's just nearly the same show everytime, and the guitars sound increasingly lame, I was really bored the longer the show lasted!"

Knowing that he did not own any boots, I gave him a selfmade "Europe 1973" soundboard compilation with those Brussels and Wembley tracks as a birthday present some years later. He was simply blown away, listened to this stuff at home nearly constantly (at least much more than his wife could bare!) and in his car. "Boy, these guitars, out of this world, unbelievable" he used to comment every time we talked about these recordings. What can I say? His friends, mostly rock fans who grew up in the 60's and 70's and who had already written the Stones off, began asking for copies and for a while, these recordings were all the rage amongst them, renewing their interest in the band.

Well, I never believed that band could reach this performance quality again with Taylor back on board. But what I expected was that Taylor's inclusion would get them out of their comfort zone and make their shows once more exciting. It actually happened to a certain degree, but now we're seemingly back to ... normal. Same procedure as last year minus Taylor. Same procedure as every year since I dunno when. The dream is over. For me. People in all those secondary markets in the US, enjoy the show!

Date: April 1, 2015 19:47

What I never understood was how can real musicians like Leavell, Keys, and Darryl tag along all those years and play the same boring setlist and same dull
arrangements. The rolling stones machine really sucked them in and the cash was easy to take.

play the guitar boy

Date: April 1, 2015 19:57

OpenG
What I never understood was how can real musicians like Leavell, Keys, and Darryl tag along all those years and play the same boring setlist and same dull
arrangements. The rolling stones machine really sucked them in and the cash was easy to take.

play the guitar boy

+ they probably have a lot of fun, just like the fans. I wouldn't be surprised if they enjoyed the music as well.

Date: April 1, 2015 20:14

OpenG

play the guitar boy

+ they probably have a lot of fun, just like the fans. I wouldn't be surprised if they enjoyed the music as well.

DP - I think its great if fans like yourself still enjoy the live experience and live playing but for me it ended when they became the Vegas Act. Have fun with your band and keep on rocking to the music.

peace

Date: April 1, 2015 20:25

OpenG
OpenG

play the guitar boy

DP - I think its great if fans like yourself still enjoy the live experience and live playing but for me it ended when they became the Vegas Act. Have fun with your band and keep on rocking to the music.

peace

Will do, thanks. I'm still enjoying the Lone Star Cafe bootleg you gave me, btw. Let's hope they can make that magic together again sometime.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 1, 2015 20:33

OpenG

play the guitar boy
You'd be a god damn fool to not continue playing with them as long as possible. Aside from just money, which in itself I don't know how you could walk away from, you're playing with the Rolling @#$%& Stones. If you say no to that, you're an insane person. Even if it is boring and Vegas. You attach yourself to that train as long as you can.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 1, 2015 20:34

DoomandGloom
Wow Doxa... My self imposed exile not withstanding I returned to applaud you. I've seen some interesting stuff here, for example Green Lady mentioning she'll miss Bobby Keys more. That's a no brainer, Bobby played on more songs in 2014 and for me his sound is one with The Rolling Stones. His passing was a sad, sad day and their concerts can never be what they once were. We were very fortunate that Bobby chose to perform in his final days. A great gift from an amazing character. I really believed the band would offer Taylor this tour, not only as Bobby's replacement for some legitimate Stones' solos but as a replacement for our souls and the soul of the band. Each time the cast thins out we get further from the heart of their sound. Maybe this doesn't matter much for a stadiums but without Bobby and Taylor the chance of hearing a mind blowing solo from a real Rolling Stone is greatly diminished. This being April 1st I found this posting buried on Mick Taylor's FBK page, perhaps there is some hope for some fancy guitar playing...
The Rolling Stones have announced their "Zipper" tour this summer for a Sticky Fingers' tribute. While it is true that Mick Taylor will not be appearing on stage he will be performing the album tribute from under the stage. "This way we can have the best of both worlds." say Jagger. "Taylor is too fat to be on stage as a Rolling Stone so instead we have slender Ron Wood running the walkways while Taylor can add his velvet tones without his blubber destroying our visuals." Taylor who was found homeless by Keith Richards after The Stones wrapped up his royalties in litigation for 40 years is thrilled at the chance to tour once again. "I'll pack my bloody pockets with backstage sandwiches, grab some booze and make myself comfortable right below Charlie. I can play their stuff better than them with one hand on the buffet."

That's how reliable that FB site is. Shame on that person.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 1, 2015 20:35

MrThompsonWooft
How many more times can anyone be thrilled at hearing him play Midnight Rambler? The first time was great but..........

At least he changes it up with some improvisation...If you're thrilled at hearing JJF, Brown Sugar and HTW for the 1000th time played pretty much the same way, hearing Midnight Rambler with Taylor a few times more should really excite you. Besides most folks wanted to see Taylor on more tunes, if Rambler was/is all they are going to give him I'm still thrilled.

peace

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2015 20:54

andrewt

I would have preferred the groove was there and that Keith played the rhythm right, but that's probably just me being a Stones snob.

On the one hand, the Stones play transcendental primal rock n roll, on the other they are a good time party band.

Moments of the former are harder to come by, but by and large they still succeed mightily with the latter.

That's a great distinction you made! It is exactly the "transcendental primal rock and roll" the Stones do at their best. They always are a good time party band, but at their best days they go beyond that. Taylor gave us glimpses of that. Not much, but enough for me to realize what I actually miss in them. For the most people - including probably the band as well - them just being a "good time party band" is all they need or ask for.

- Doxa, a fellow Stones snob

Date: April 1, 2015 21:02

mtaylor
DoomandGloom

Shame on April fool's day...

Re: What proof do you have about taylor???
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:09

Stoneburst

Oh FFS, for the umpteenth time:

1) Taylor/his people didn't post on FB about this once, they did it many times over the course of several weeks. The story behind the 'fan page' has been explained many times here. It is a legit source, Taylor's girlfriend is the page's admin.
2) It's not just Chacal's posts on IORR. Multiple posters on three of the four major Stones boards - here, StonesDoug's board and Keno's Gasland - who claim connections to the band have been saying the same thing about Taylor being dropped for several weeks now. The details vary, but all agree that he's out.
3) Every single tour announcement since 2012 specifically mentioned that MT would be appearing as a special guest, yesterday's doesn't mention him at all, and one of the radio stations broadcasting the Mick/Keith interview explicitly said he wouldn't be appearing.

All the above has been exhaustively discussed here for ages now. If you can't be bothered to look into these things yourself using the self-explanatory IORR search bar, don't call those of us who can 'naysayers' and 'know it alls'.

1. The only thing from that FB I've seen here is that one sentence statement about being uninvited. If many statement over the course of several weeks happened, please feel free to share them. I couldn't find them.

2. Posters on all those boards often get a hold of a single piece of rumored information and share it like it's new. The legal term for all that information is hearsay, and there is a good reason it's not accepted as testimony for proving a case.

3. This is just not true. Although Jagger mentioned "maybe a few friends joining us", Taylor was not specifically mentioned in all these tour announcements.

I'm not insinuating Taylor will be included this tour, my guess is he is indeed out, but I do think the sources for factual information on it are a bit thin, almost all hearsay and repeated hearsay, so take it as that.

I'm hoping he will at least be included in the LA Sticky Fingers show that Bjornulf says will occur. That would be sweet, exciting and respectful to the Taylor fans and MT himself. Probably the most we can hooe for at this point.

peace

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:11

Naturalust
MrThompsonWooft

At least he changes it up with some improvisation...If you're thrilled at hearing JJF, Brown Sugar and HTW for the 1000th time played pretty much the same way, hearing Midnight Rambler with Taylor a few times more should really excite you. Besides most folks wanted to see Taylor on more tunes, if Rambler was/is all they are going to give him I'm still thrilled.

peace

Agreed. They didn't give us anything else to get excited over.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:23

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor
DoomandGloom

Shame on April fool's day...
One thing is April's fool, another thing is to be mean saying "fat Taylor" is not fit to be on stage.....

Re: What proof do you have about taylor???
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:24

I'm hoping he will at least be included in the LA Sticky Fingers show that Bjornulf says will occur. That would be sweet, exciting and respectful to the Taylor fans and MT himself. Probably the most we can hooe for at this point.

As amazing as this sounds, it would really be a no win situation. If they do a SF LA club/theater with MT and he kills it, it will only make the decision to not tour with him look more glaringly assanine.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home