Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:39

thumbs up Man that Bloomfield... Hard to sort out the guitars on Dickey's thing. I'll listen carefully later. I have a really old Les Paul in the back of a closet, I'm going to dig it out and practice tonight...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 01:42 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 19, 2015 13:11

Just come across this on Mick Taylor FB page. I was at this gig and remember it well.

Sutton Football Club , SW London in 2004, where I have seen MT ,Walter Trout and The Yardbirds play over the years.

Lovely little venue. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 19, 2015 13:16

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 19, 2015 14:08

An interesting read on rollingstones.com (!) about Mick Taylor:

This run of success – and more particularly the social and financial events that preceded and in some ways provoked it, especially the flight from Britain into tax exile – took its toll on all of the band; but for Mick Taylor, just married with an infant daughter, and years younger than the rest of them, it was a particularly crushing blow.

Struggling with lifestyle issues, angered over what he saw as deprivation of composition right, uncomfortable with strained relationships between other members, he took his leave. “Nobody leaves the Rolling Stones!” declared fellow band members; but Mick was gone.

“To ask if I regret leaving The Rolling Stones is to ask the wrong question”, he notes. “The hard one to answer is, do I regret joining them?”

Since leaving, despite intermittent effort to reactivate a career around what was undoubtedly a magical talent, Mick Taylor has never achieved anything like the commercial, or creative success that he contributed to in the early seventies when he was a Stone.

What’s also an interesting question is, “Have The Rolling Stones ever been as good as they were when Mick Taylor was in the band?”

See in total on:
[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: March 19, 2015 14:15

This website's living its own life, seemingly smiling smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 19, 2015 14:26

DandelionPowderman
This website's living its own life, seemingly smiling smiley

Just notice that under the link "past members" not only Bill, Brian and Mick Taylor
are mentioned, but also (and rightfully so) Stu.
ALO eat your heart out!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 19, 2015 21:55

Maybe the announcement is delayed because they are still negotiating with Taylor on his role this tour. Had to work out how to include him in the announcement? grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 05:43

Looks like Taylor will be included...no way he'd be playing on stage with Ronnie yesterday if he wasn't. See photo in 'Roundhouse' thread. Great!! The interest level just escalated for many fans...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 20, 2015 09:11

Rumor has it he was already contacted by a Stones lawyer to tell him he wouldn't be invited. This sucks balls.

Date: March 20, 2015 09:14

71Tele
Rumor has it he was already contacted by a Stones lawyer to tell him he wouldn't be invited. This sucks balls.

A Stones lawyer? Nope.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 20, 2015 11:00

His Facebook suggested it was just Ooh La La he played on, rather than the whole set.

Date: March 20, 2015 11:15

From these pics it looks like they're playing a blues (page 2, and never mind the talentless picture captions smiling smiley )...

[www.gettyimages.no]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 20, 2015 11:38

palerider22
Looks like Taylor will be included...no way he'd be playing on stage with Ronnie yesterday if he wasn't. See photo in 'Roundhouse' thread. Great!! The interest level just escalated for many fans...

I don't think we can conclude anything from the base of his appearance. It could be very well the opposite: Ronnie - being a friend of his and a true gentleman - is showing just his moral support to Taylor by inviting him there (after being 'kicked out' from the Stones Touring Machine).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-20 11:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 20, 2015 11:39

Thanks for posting DP. Great to see Ronnie, Mick T and Matt on the same stage again. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 20, 2015 11:54

Ronnie and Mick :

Wonder if they talked about the Stones' tour before or after...these guys are English though, you know, Stiff Upper Lip, so...and didn't Ronnie get into trouble in the eighties when he tried to patch up things between Mick and Keith ? He's a "partner" now so it might be different...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-20 11:55 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 20, 2015 17:43

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
What changed?

It hasn't really changed that much. Taylor is still my favourite solo guitarist for the music he plays. But I've spent thousands of hours listening, playing and sucking inspiration off him.

Eventually, I reached a point where some of the magic disappeared or at least faded a bit. I learned to appreciate the song (primarilly as a listener) and the wholeness of the music a bit more than the solo guitar playing as such. At this point I had started to create my own music, and eventually I broadened my musical horizon. I became more interested in the effect of short biting licks that extended and/or played off the groove

I recognise the attitude you Taylorites have, I've been there myself. I just wish all of you will use the positivity and the love for his music in a good way, without bashing current band members or fans of those band members.

It happened 2 me 2 when I was 25. Wait till you're 50+ smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2015 19:00

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
What changed?

It hasn't really changed that much. Taylor is still my favourite solo guitarist for the music he plays. But I've spent thousands of hours listening, playing and sucking inspiration off him.

Eventually, I reached a point where some of the magic disappeared or at least faded a bit. I learned to appreciate the song (primarilly as a listener) and the wholeness of the music a bit more than the solo guitar playing as such. At this point I had started to create my own music, and eventually I broadened my musical horizon. I became more interested in the effect of short biting licks that extended and/or played off the groove

I recognise the attitude you Taylorites have, I've been there myself. I just wish all of you will use the positivity and the love for his music in a good way, without bashing current band members or fans of those band members.

It never happened to me, it just only developed during the years, while I discovered more and more how important and serving to the song Taylor's playing is, especially on stage. I love his work with the Stones the most by far, but also when he plays Stones tunes with others (Carla Olson for instance and on acoustic with Erwin Nijhoff). Dandy has some sort of enveloping kind of development. Strange, contradictory guy cool smiley

Date: March 20, 2015 19:34

LuxuryStones

What happens when I'm 50?

Date: March 20, 2015 19:48

Stoneburst
LuxuryStones

What happens when I'm 50?

Just stay healthy, the most important thing in your life.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 21, 2015 07:37

Personally I think the Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood gig is a very good sign that Taylor will be on the upcoming stones tour. If I'm not mistaken the show would
Have been on the same day as the, now postponed, tour announcement. The show
would have begun after the expected tour announcement.

Well anyway...if Mick Taylor is back on board this would be a very good thing for
Him and the fans.

Date: March 21, 2015 10:02

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
What changed?

It never happened to me, it just only developed during the years, while I discovered more and more how important and serving to the song Taylor's playing is, especially on stage. I love his work with the Stones the most by far, but also when he plays Stones tunes with others (Carla Olson for instance and on acoustic with Erwin Nijhoff). Dandy has some sort of enveloping kind of development. Strange, contradictory guy cool smiley

Nothing in my post was either strange or contradictory. Come back when you've spent the time I did learning the stuff.

It's very natural going for the flash when you're young. Not so exciting when you've learned every lick and realise it's not rocket science smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2015 11:54

Funny thing in music is that it's useless to copy a lick if you don't understand it's melodic relationship to the chords. That's what makes Jazz so difficult. Compared to Taylor, or any good improviser,
most copycats are just parrots- they don't know what they are saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-21 12:03 by LuxuryStones.

Date: March 21, 2015 12:21

LuxuryStones
Funny thing in music is that it's useless to copy a lick if you don't understand it's melodic relationship to the chords. That's what makes Jazz so difficult. Compared to Taylor, or any good improviser,

True to an extent and I totally understand what you mean but once you master a lick or scale it's in your toolbox to experiment with over different chords. You gotta start somewhere learning your favorite licks is a pretty good place to begin. There are good improvisers who probably don't even think in terms of melodic relationships but they still know what sounds good. Some would even say thinking at all just gets in the way.

peace

Date: March 21, 2015 12:39

Naturalust
LuxuryStones

True to an extent and I totally understand what you mean but once you master a lick or scale it's in your toolbox to experiment with over different chords. You gotta start somewhere learning your favorite licks is a pretty good place to begin. There are good improvisers who probably don't even think in terms of melodic relationships but they still know what sounds good. Some would even say thinking at all just gets in the way.

peace

That reminds me of Charlie Parker: "I learned to play and improvise over all standards in 12 keys. Then I was ready".

You're right Naturalist, thinking while you're playing -i mprovising in particular- can be your worst enemy. To come up with something unique, that's art.

Date: March 21, 2015 12:39

Doxa
palerider22

I don't think we can conclude anything from the base of his appearance. It could be very well the opposite: Ronnie - being a friend of his and a true gentleman - is showing just his moral support to Taylor by inviting him there (after being 'kicked out' from the Stones Touring Machine).

- Doxa

That's also what I think. I don't read this performance as a sign.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 21, 2015 13:34

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
What changed?

Nothing in my post was either strange or contradictory. Come back when you've spent the time I did learning the stuff.

It's very natural going for the flash when you're young. Not so exciting when you've learned every lick and realise it's not rocket science smiling smiley

As a non-instrumentalist, I wonder about my impression: May it be one difference between Mick Taylor and many other guitarists that they may learn and more or less master, what he achieved on occasions, whereas Mick Taylor, not necessarily from day to day, but through time will change and develop further, what he earlier played. In case, would the difference be between qualified reconstruction on one hand ( when there is an original version) and creation and tasteful development on the other? If more or less correct, is that his special talent that distinguishes Mick Taylor from other good guitarists, who may have other strengths? Or is this a romanticized point of view on Mick Taylor?

Date: March 21, 2015 14:01

Witness
As a non-instrumentalist, I wonder about my impression: May it be one difference between Mick Taylor and many other guitarists that they may learn and more or less master, what he achieved on occasions, whereas Mick Taylor, not necessarily from day to day, but through time will change and develop further, what he earlier played. In case, would the difference be between qualified reconstruction on one hand ( when there is an original version) and creation and tasteful development on the other? If more or less correct, is that his special talent that distinguishes Mick Taylor from other good guitarists, who may have other strengths? Or is this a romanticized point of view on Mick Taylor?

It's not unique to him by any means but yes, there is a difference between copying licks / transcribing solos and actually getting into a certain player's style to the point that you can start to think like them and use that as the basis for your improvisation. In that sense Taylor is a very useful guitarist to study because he plays the changes as a jazz player would, thinking more about chords than scales. A couple of years ago, I spent a lot of time listening to a bunch of MT bootlegs from when he was touring in the 1980s, focusing on his blues phrasing. I learned a lot of nice licks that way, but more importantly I learned a lot about accenting different chord tones and breaking out of a straightforward I-IV-V pattern.

Date: March 21, 2015 14:10

Well not sure about all that but I'd sure like to see him do some tasteful development on the Stones tour this year...I'd even settle for some qualified reconstruction of his 1973 work. winking smiley

peace

Date: March 21, 2015 14:33

Witness

There is certainly a difference between Taylor and the other guitarists, qualities that distinguishes him from players in his chosen field.
I think it's indeed a mix of both Taylor's special talent and a romanticized point of view on him. An we keep (at least I do) romanticizing him because he didn't explore his talent for a 100% because of various reasons. What a paradox this is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-21 14:39 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 21, 2015 15:14

palerider22
Taylor playing with Wood, something the two of them have done over the years, has absolutely zero connection to anything to do with the stones tour

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home