Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 13, 2015 21:25

Naturalust
I'm just a bit shocked he isn't credited as a player on this one since if he was playing while they tracked it, his feel is bound to be translated to the final product, whether his track was replaced or not.

I've argued the track is mixed in such a way so as to allow Mick Taylor's guitar on 'Brown Sugar' to function as a subliminal anchor, that little voice in the back of your head, if you will. Remember, this track was recorded when Vance Packard was hot. I'd argue that Vance Packard basically invented that whole style of subliminal mix-down. Perhaps (as was the case on 'Time Waits For No One) Mick Taylor's part included the use of double stops that were apart from the typical use of double stops?

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 13, 2015 21:59

Stoneburst
IMO, Keith's tone on the last tour was much better when he was playing his Juniors on Rambler, Bitch, Satisfaction etc than with his Telecasters. He clearly prefers P90s for songs where he plays solos, and I can understand why - he sounds far clearer and more aggressive. A good P90 into a cranked tweed is a glorious, glorious thing.

P90's are real rocknroll pickups imo. So no wonder they sound good on solos and songs like bitch. I wonder if the reason he is not using a fuzz pedal is because he like to vary his sound through different guitars instead of through different amps and pedals. Other guitarplayers have big pedalboards on stage with different distoriton, overdrive and fuzz pedals for different songs. From what I know Keith doesn't use many pedals on stage.

Date: March 13, 2015 22:07

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Chacal
Naturalust

I think Taylor probably did play on the original Muscle Shoals recording. Jimmy Johnson talks about him playing a Strat. I just can't imagine him sitting around and not contributing to this obviously guitar based rock and roll song. He might have even contributed to its development more than we know.

It's possible that Keith just replaced all his parts and/or he is so low in the final mix that they decided not to credit him at all. Anybody ever hear Taylor talk about this?

peace

Where is the notion that he is not on Brown Sugar coming from ?

He was at Muscle Shoals and played on all 3 songs they worked on there. Which he has spoken about in interviews.
Even Keith says that Taylor is on Brown Sugar.
The credits of Sticky Fingers say: 'M. Taylor - guitar'

Would you be so kind to point out his guitar track on the studio version?

There are many sources which don't credit Mick Taylor on this tune. Our own Track Talk, TimeisOnOurSide and others. I'd like to hear the interviews you are talking about and your source for Keith talking about Taylor playing on it too. Besides the credits of Sticky Fingers aren't the credits of Brown Sugar specifically.

Mathijs posted that Taylor is on there but low in the mix and I suspect he's either buried real low or completely replaced by Keith. I'm just a bit shocked he isn't credited as a player on this one since if he was playing while they tracked it, his feel is bound to be translated to the final product, whether his track was replaced or not.

peace

He is credited in the album liner notes, but his guitar in the earlier mixes was replaced with the Keith track with the licks. If Taylor did another guitar track that made the final mix, it's not audible.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 13, 2015 22:11

The version that's in GIMME SHELTER, the hotel room - you can hear, well, what certainly seems to be Taylor in that one. But that isn't on the LP...

Re: How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2015 22:13

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
71Tele
Played with: Self-evident.
Played well with: Not so much.

+1. Obviously they *can* play the stuff without Taylor, it just doesn't sound very good when they do. I'll give them a pass on Brown Sugar and Bitch, to which Ronnie and Keith (respectively) still play some good stuff. The rest of the songs, no.

What's wrong with WH and DF?

I've never really liked Wild Horses as a live number anyway. To me it's an incredibly graceful composition in the studio but loses a lot of that grace on stage - somehow it just sounds clunky, and particularly on this last tour the tempo was all wrong (plus it's permanently associated with Gwen Stefani's guest spot in my mind now). Weirdly, I *do* love the instrumental take on it G'n'R used to do live.

As for Dead Flowers, I think it's infinitely better with Taylor. I'd argue that he basically invented that whole style of country-rock soloing with his live playing on DF and Tumbling Dice. I know a lot of people think it doesn't need super-widdly lead guitar but what he played was always melodious and appropriate, IMO. (Also, Taylor and Wood playing on it together would mean Jagger didn't have an excuse to break out his acoustic, which I always find incredibly annoying and distracting.)

I disagree about WH, and I thought they really gave us some beautiful live versions on this tour, with the dynamics of the studio version. I like the 1975 versions, too, but for different reasons.

I see what you mean about DF, and it's indeed nice on L&G - but it's taken to the extreme on the Marquee concert. It takes the country out of the tune for me.

Nah, they never did it justice live. And the '76 all-electric version so many people here seem to like sounds like a late-night drunken singalong to me, and not in a good way....Also, I can't stand the way Mick always sings "Wild Ho-sis".

Date: March 13, 2015 22:28

He does that on the studio version as well: Wiiild Hoi-sis grinning smiley

Try Hold On Tight (NYC 1975) for a version where Keith and Ronnie are sober enough to do the chorus justice smiling smiley

They skipped it in 76, and played Fool To Cry instead.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2015 22:46

DandelionPowderman

Try Hold On Tight (NYC 1975) for a version where Keith and Ronnie are sober enough to do the chorus justice smiling smiley

I knew you would say that! He doesn't mangel it nearly as much on the studio version, it's sung more earnestly. Live it's like self-parody, the same way he does Sway.

You are correct, I meant '75. Hate it.

Date: March 13, 2015 22:59

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I knew you would say that! He doesn't mangel it nearly as much on the studio version, it's sung more earnestly. Live it's like self-parody, the same way he does Sway.

You are correct, I meant '75. Hate it.

That I'm correct? winking smiley

It might be Keith that is southern-drawling "horses" in the chorus on the studio version, then...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-13 23:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 13, 2015 23:22

DandelionPowderman

I thought the Stripped version was the best live version. Not much of an audience and possibly a few studio tricks to make it sound so good but basically still a live take. As far as singing it earnestly, I think that is Jagger's earnest these days. His strangely pronounced annunciations have become the norm for him for a long time now.

peace

Date: March 13, 2015 23:33

The Stripped version is fantastic thumbs up

Like Charlie said: "Just as good as the original".

Date: March 13, 2015 23:41

TonyMo
Stoneburst
As for Dead Flowers, I think it's infinitely better with Taylor. I'd argue that he basically invented that whole style of country-rock soloing with his live playing on DF and Tumbling Dice.

I'm glad someone has the extensive knowledge necessary to point this out. Clarence White, James Burton, Reggie Young and Albert Lee (to name the biggest offenders) have had ample opportunity over their repective careers to credit the the man who "basically invented that whole style of country-rock soloing". But have they? No. It seems the aforementioned, much like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, are content with allowing Mick Taylor to go unrecognized, despite the latter's "live playing on Dead Flowers and Tumbling Dice.

What a coincidence.I was just driving down the road listening to a classic rock station. An Allman Brother's song finished and the DJ said 'that was the great Allman Brothers Band...Dickie Betts and Duane Allman, those two guys basically invented that whole style of country rock soloing. And I thought 'wrong'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-13 23:41 by TonyMo.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 13, 2015 23:43

The stripped version is one of the best versions imo. cool smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 13, 2015 23:46

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Chacal
Naturalust

I think Taylor probably did play on the original Muscle Shoals recording. Jimmy Johnson talks about him playing a Strat. I just can't imagine him sitting around and not contributing to this obviously guitar based rock and roll song. He might have even contributed to its development more than we know.

It's possible that Keith just replaced all his parts and/or he is so low in the final mix that they decided not to credit him at all. Anybody ever hear Taylor talk about this?

peace

He was at Muscle Shoals and played on all 3 songs they worked on there. Which he has spoken about in interviews.

There are many sources which don't credit Mick Taylor on this tune. Our own Track Talk, TimeisOnOurSide and others. I'd like to hear the interviews you are talking about and your source for Keith talking about Taylor playing on it too. Besides the credits of Sticky Fingers aren't the credits of Brown Sugar specifically.

Mathijs posted that Taylor is on there but low in the mix and I suspect he's either buried real low or completely replaced by Keith. I'm just a bit shocked he isn't credited as a player on this one since if he was playing while they tracked it, his feel is bound to be translated to the final product, whether his track was replaced or not.

peace

He is credited in the album liner notes, but his guitar in the earlier mixes was replaced with the Keith track with the licks. If Taylor did another guitar track that made the final mix, it's not audible.

The Bobby Keys solo was added fairly last minute so they probably neglected to update the liner notes from when the song had the Taylor lead guitar.

Date: March 14, 2015 00:12

The way the Stones recorded back then I also have to believe that Taylor also contributed to the rhythm and groove of the song during the initial sessions.

Not sure if this is from those sessions but it sure is interesting. Sounds like Taylor in there to me. If so I think they were justified in replacing his parts, he's good but not great like Keith in the final mix.

peace

Date: March 14, 2015 00:13

TonyMo
TonyMo
Stoneburst
As for Dead Flowers, I think it's infinitely better with Taylor. I'd argue that he basically invented that whole style of country-rock soloing with his live playing on DF and Tumbling Dice.

I'm glad someone has the extensive knowledge necessary to point this out. Clarence White, James Burton, Reggie Young and Albert Lee (to name the biggest offenders) have had ample opportunity over their repective careers to credit the the man who "basically invented that whole style of country-rock soloing". But have they? No. It seems the aforementioned, much like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, are content with allowing Mick Taylor to go unrecognized, despite the latter's "live playing on Dead Flowers and Tumbling Dice.

What a coincidence.I was just driving down the road listening to a classic rock station. An Allman Brother's song finished and the DJ said 'that was the great Allman Brothers Band...Dickie Betts and Duane Allman, those two guys basically invented that whole style of country rock soloing. And I thought 'wrong'.

Knowledge AND humour. Love it! thumbs up

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 14, 2015 00:13

Taylor is on this version, the best ever imo. No @#$%& overdubs needed.

Date: March 14, 2015 00:16

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Chacal
Naturalust

peace

peace

The Bobby Keys solo was added fairly last minute so they probably neglected to update the liner notes from when the song had the Taylor lead guitar.

Most likely, yes.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: March 14, 2015 01:29

Re Brown Sugar studio track... anyone have any comments on the acoustic guitar track...I assume that Keith played it...brand/model of guitar? Gibson Hummingbird? Dove?

Any idea whether it's in open or standard tuning??

Thanks

P

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 14, 2015 01:42

Naturalust

I'm just a bit shocked he isn't credited as a player on this one since if he was playing while they tracked it, his feel is bound to be translated to the final product, whether his track was replaced or not.

peace

I was of course talking about the credits for Brown Sugar (on Sticky Fingers) specifically.

Well, the source for KR saying this is Keith himself. He was out on the town with Taylor in the 80s, back when they were both living in NYC. Some doorman had ideas about stopping them from entering a club, so Keith got in the guy's face and told him: 'You don't mess with the Stones, man !'
When he was asked who his friend was, he answered: 'He's on all the classics !' and summed up some of the better known songs, including Brown Sugar.

I don't know why you keep saying Taylor isn't credited - as he is included in the official personnel listing for that track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-14 01:45 by Chacal.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 14, 2015 01:45

TonyMo
TonyMo
Stoneburst

Come on, Tony, you can do better than that. Standards, dear boy, standards

Date: March 14, 2015 02:11

Chacal
Naturalust

peace

I was of course talking about the credits for Brown Sugar (on Sticky Fingers) specifically.

Well, the source for KR saying this is Keith himself. He was out on the town with Taylor in the 80s, back when they were both living in NYC. Some doorman had ideas about stopping them from entering a club, so Keith got in the guy's face and told him: 'You don't mess with the Stones, man !'
When he was asked who his friend was, he answered: 'He's on all the classics !' and summed up some of the better known songs, including Brown Sugar.

I don't know why you keep saying Taylor isn't credited - as he is included in the official personnel listing for that track.

My main source for the lack of Taylor credits for this song is the timeisonourside site as well statements form several posters here on IORR. I was surprised is why I brought the issue up. I think he was on the track at one time but, like others, I have a hard time hearing him in the final mix.

But Ok since he's credited, bring him along on the 2015 tour. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 14, 2015 02:29

I can't see the point in arguing about this if the Stones themselves, plus Keith and Taylor are convinced that Mick Taylor plays on Brown Sugar.

I'm glad we got that issue resolved, then.
And the question who should be on stage when they play Sticky Fingers in its entirety is a no-brainer, really.

Date: March 14, 2015 06:46

Stoneburst
One day (this was back in 1992) my sister and I were at a Wendy's having a baked potato with broccoli and melted cheddar (I had chili on mine...she doesn't like chili). Anyway, we look out the window and see a guy sitting on a curb playing an unplugged electric guitar. 'Would you look at that" said my sister.

We forgot about it and ate. When we left and were walking back to our car, we espied a brown guitar case on the ground. On it was written in magic marker 'property of Mick Taylor'. 'Holy crap!' I exclaimed. 'I wonder if that's the Mick Taylor who quit the Rolling Stones because Keith Richards was intimidated by him and didn't give him any song writing credits?'

My sister (an Abba fan) had never heard of Mick Taylor. She said 'finders keepers'. I said 'no, I saw him pull away in a blue volkswagon van...we should try to catch up with him and give it back'. So we spead down I 95 looking for the blue Volkswagon and a few miles outside of DC, we spotted it. I pulled up alongside and got Mick Taylor to pull over. A guy got out who wasn't Mick Taylor and said it was Mick Taylor's guitar...hand it over. My sister insisted on giving the guitar to Mick Taylor in person. After a bit, the Mick Taylor - formerly of the Rolling Stones - came out and thanked us for having rescued his guitar. 'You know, I practically invented country rock soloing on this guitar when I played Dead Flowers and Tumbling Dice.' He shook my hand and said if I ever made it to London, be sure to stop and see him.

I said 'you're welcome' and started to walk away but he called back at me. 'Hey, I think I know you'. I turned toward Mick Taylor, then turned around behind me to make sure he wasn't talking to somebody else who may have been out walking on the beltway in Washington DC during rush hour. He said 'I remember you...you used to work at a club in New York during the 1980's?'. How did he know that I wondered?

I replied. 'I did work at a club in New York in the 1980's'.. 'How did you know that?' He said, 'mate, remember the time me and Keith Richards came up to you and Keith Richards said I played on 'all the classics'?

It suddenly came back to me. How had I forgotten? 'Oh right, Keith Richards said you played on 'Brown Sugar!...the album version! That's me mate! said Mick Taylor. I said, 'it's not everyday Keith Richards gives a crap enough to fill a doorman in on who played what when!' 'Consider yourself lucky, mate' said Mick Taylor.

He pulled five bucks out of pocket to give to me but I turned him down. "I was only doing the right thing' I said.

Before he drove away I asked 'do you ever think you'll play with the Stones again?'. 'I'd say give it another twenty years mate'. And with that he drove off.

How's that stoneburst?smiling smiley

Date: March 14, 2015 07:21

This is the hobo version of with sssoul's Chuck Berry-story, LOL!

Date: March 14, 2015 09:50

Chacal
I can't see the point in arguing about this if the Stones themselves, plus Keith and Taylor are convinced that Mick Taylor plays on Brown Sugar.

And the question who should be on stage when they play Sticky Fingers in its entirety is a no-brainer, really.

Nobody doubted that he played on it. We have that documented from the GS film as well as earlier demos. The point is that Keith overdubbed his track with the Chuck Berry-ish guitar on the final version.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong here, but there just isn't an audible Taylor track on the studio version.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 14, 2015 10:46

TonyMo
Stoneburst
One day (this was back in 1992) my sister and I were at a Wendy's having a baked potato with broccoli and melted cheddar (I had chili on mine...she doesn't like chili). Anyway, we look out the window and see a guy sitting on a curb playing an unplugged electric guitar. 'Would you look at that" said my sister.

We forgot about it and ate. When we left and were walking back to our car, we espied a brown guitar case on the ground. On it was written in magic marker 'property of Mick Taylor'. 'Holy crap!' I exclaimed. 'I wonder if that's the Mick Taylor who quit the Rolling Stones because Keith Richards was intimidated by him and didn't give him any song writing credits?'

My sister (an Abba fan) had never heard of Mick Taylor. She said 'finders keepers'. I said 'no, I saw him pull away in a blue volkswagon van...we should try to catch up with him and give it back'. So we spead down I 95 looking for the blue Volkswagon and a few miles outside of DC, we spotted it. I pulled up alongside and got Mick Taylor to pull over. A guy got out who wasn't Mick Taylor and said it was Mick Taylor's guitar...hand it over. My sister insisted on giving the guitar to Mick Taylor in person. After a bit, the Mick Taylor - formerly of the Rolling Stones - came out and thanked us for having rescued his guitar. 'You know, I practically invented country rock soloing on this guitar when I played Dead Flowers and Tumbling Dice.' He shook my hand and said if I ever made it to London, be sure to stop and see him.

I said 'you're welcome' and started to walk away but he called back at me. 'Hey, I think I know you'. I turned toward Mick Taylor, then turned around behind me to make sure he wasn't talking to somebody else who may have been out walking on the beltway in Washington DC during rush hour. He said 'I remember you...you used to work at a club in New York during the 1980's?'. How did he know that I wondered?

I replied. 'I did work at a club in New York in the 1980's'.. 'How did you know that?' He said, 'mate, remember the time me and Keith Richards came up to you and Keith Richards said I played on 'all the classics'?

It suddenly came back to me. How had I forgotten? 'Oh right, Keith Richards said you played on 'Brown Sugar!...the album version! That's me mate! said Mick Taylor. I said, 'it's not everyday Keith Richards gives a crap enough to fill a doorman in on who played what when!' 'Consider yourself lucky, mate' said Mick Taylor.

He pulled five bucks out of pocket to give to me but I turned him down. "I was only doing the right thing' I said.

Before he drove away I asked 'do you ever think you'll play with the Stones again?'. 'I'd say give it another twenty years mate'. And with that he drove off.

You used to be funny, but it's all over now.

Date: March 14, 2015 13:09

TonyMo
Stoneburst

Too long, didn't read

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 14, 2015 13:54

DandelionPowderman

I'd be happy to be proven wrong here, but there just isn't an audible Taylor track on the studio version.

Can't you just make a list of songs, start a thread :"Taylor is not on this studio version" and make an end to this everlasting chant? confused smiley

Date: March 14, 2015 14:10

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Can't you just make a list of songs, start a thread :"Taylor is not on this studio version" and make an end to this everlasting chant? confused smiley

I heartily endorse this. Perhaps you could go into more detail and create separate threads for different musical instruments: 'Mick Taylor did not lay hands on a bass guitar on the following dates' etc

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 14, 2015 16:48

DandelionPowderman
Chacal

Nobody doubted that he played on it. We have that documented from the GS film as well as earlier demos. The point is that Keith overdubbed his track with the Chuck Berry-ish guitar on the final version.

What we see as a few continuos performances guitar tracks with The Stones can be quite complex. It's possible some moments with Taylor and Keith are sliced together were eq'd and appear as one performance. They would likely do this when making room on the tape. I saw them do this on Steel Wheels by combining bass parts and considering adding tom fills from an alternate track.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home