Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
It's Only Rock N Roll video promo and the wrong backing track
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:54

So does anyone know the story of this video and how the early audio version of IORR was used for the video?

I mean, this is a group of guys who will play a song 40 or 50 times in the studio to get the right feel and then they produce a video with the "wrong" backing track?

Wouldn't MJ or KR freak out as soon as the backing track starts playing during the rehearsal and say "Oy....that's the wrong bleeding track..we're not doing a bloody thing til you get the right one..."

On a side note...does anyone have a good flac or mp3 of the backing track used in the video? I have one that fades and is not great...I'd love a full length copy of this track.

Re: It's Only Rock N Roll video promo and the wrong backing track
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:19

NOT WHEN YOU'RE ON GOOD HEROIN.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:21

As far as we know that was the version of the song they were going to release as a single when the video was shot.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:24

Jumping Jack Flash video is different from the released track too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:29

On Start Me Up, I think Mick is miming to a different backing track.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:31

It's an interesting question. What I'd like to hear is the original demo that was done with Bowie in Ronnie's studio before Keith got his hands on it. peace

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: March 3, 2015 20:37

Here's the timing as far as I can determine from Nico's web site

4-6 December 1973 original track recorded at The Wick

10-15 April 1974 overdubbing and mixing

1 June 1974 promo video shot

26 July 1974 IORR Single released

18 October 1974 IORR Album released

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-03 20:38 by mrpaulincanada.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 3, 2015 22:44

I thought the Wick recording was just the basic song with Ronnie involved etc.
recorded at a party. Then they went into the studio with the whole band and that is the version on the record.

Date: March 3, 2015 22:54

swimtothemoon
recorded at a party. Then they went into the studio with the whole band and that is the version on the record.

Yeah but it was enough to get Keith to say, "I want that tune for the Stones". Everyday was probably a party at the Wick from what I've heard. smoking smiley I think Ronnie mentions one of his original demo tracks actually made the record. peace

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 23:15

Could it also be that they do these kind of things with a purpose? That they don't want to sound exactly as in a recording. Like giving a performance an own identity. In many shows and promos Jagger does his vocals 'live' against backing track, so why not to 'play' a bit with the backing track as well.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 3, 2015 23:21

They did not mime to the actual album track until the EMOTIONAL RESCUE music videos. The GOATS HEAD SOUP, IORR, BLACK AND BLUE, and SOME GIRLS promo film audio tracks differ from the album tracks.

Date: March 3, 2015 23:58

They mimed to the original backing tracks for the BAB songs. But in 1978, Mick did new vocals for Miss You and Far Away Eyes, and partly new vocals on Respectable, I think. The latter's backing also seemed somewhat different than that of the studio version, if memory serves.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2015 00:03

"Fool to Cry" has a different lead vocal, but yes, the other BLACK AND BLUE promos are just miming. "Respectable" has the alternate lyric, "We're talking man to man with the President" instead of "We're talking heroin with the President." The rest of the lead vocal is either a different mix from the album track or a different take.

Date: March 4, 2015 00:10

Yeah, I remember now, thanks!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 4, 2015 08:30

They introduced their new single "Satisfaction" for the first time on TV with a harmonica track. Never to be heard again except in poor quality on bootlegs and incomplete. It would be great if ABKCO would release it for the 50th anniv of the record. I have heard the Wick version of IORR with Bowie and Ronnie, maybe the Stones will release it on a "from the vaults" "It's Only Rock n Roll" CD release some day??? The JJ Flash backing tracks just got reversed by accident on the promo films. Not sure why they just didn't fix them?
The Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby promo film first had a alternate studio version audio track but was changed to the record version when it was released to the public. I had wished they would have used the audio from Live at Albert Hall for the live concert promo version.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 4, 2015 08:45

Naturalust
swimtothemoon

Yeah but it was enough to get Keith to say, "I want that tune for the Stones". Everyday was probably a party at the Wick from what I've heard. smoking smiley I think Ronnie mentions one of his original demo tracks actually made the record. peace

Er ... what "whole band" do you mean who "went into the studio" with?
The track that was recorded at the Wick was done in the studio there
with Willie Weeks on bass and Kenny Jones on drums, and what they laid down is what's on the Stones' version.
No Mick Taylor, no Charles Watts, no Bill Wyman.
Ronnie said Keith neglected to wipe his acoustic guitar when he redid the guitars.

They used a different version in the video on purpose, and it sounds great.

Date: March 4, 2015 09:26

I agree with sssoul, sounds great. Such a great tune with awesome vocals and lyrics, they couldn't miss with any version.

I just wonder why Ronnie was so keen to give away what was arguably the best song he has ever (co)written. confused smiley Credits are the usual Jagger/Richards. Did Keith really bring something great or new to the tune just by replacing the electric guitars? Was Ronnie so infatuated with Keith and the Stones that he was compelled to gift them with the tune after Keith decided he wanted it for the Stones? He said it was his idea to begin with...is Ronnie just that nice of a guy?

VideoJames since you've heard that demo, what is your take on it. Much thanks.

peace

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 4, 2015 09:42

Is that hissing sound supposed to be the sound of smoking a joint? Thirty-year-old bad boys?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 4, 2015 09:43

Excerpts from the interview with Willie Weeks.

Q: What was it like touring with George Harrison?
Willie: It was top shelf—great band, great airplane, great food every night after the show, great hotels.
But if I could do that all over again I would be way more serious about the music.
I don’t think we pulled it off as well as we could have—as well as we should have. A lack of maturity played a part in that.
George was great to us. While dealing with voice problems and the media and all, he still kept an upbeat attitude.
I don’t know how much he enjoyed being the leader, but he was a pro throughout the tour. I’ll always cherish that.

Q: How did you end up recording on the Rolling Stones’ “It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll (But I Like It)”?

Willie: It came about through Keith Richards. He was hanging out with Ronnie [Wood] when we were recording Ronnie’s record,
and Keith said, “We’ve got this track, man, and we’d like for you to put some bass on it.” And I said, “Yeah, of course.”
Andy Newmark and I drove out to Mick Jagger’s place, which ended up being a castle.
After we got there, we sat around waiting for an hour, and I finally said,
“Hey man, are we going to do this?” Within five minutes we were doing it.
They had a mobile studio set up in the back, and I listened to the tune and picked up my bass and started playing.
It was funny—Mick was standing in front of me and it was like he was directing me, but he was dancing! [Laughs.]
It was amazing, man. I’m standing there playing and listening to the music and looking at him and just feeling ... pretty magical.

Date: March 4, 2015 10:06

Naturalust
I agree with sssoul, sounds great. Such a great tune with awesome vocals and lyrics, they couldn't miss with any version.

I just wonder why Ronnie was so keen to give away what was arguably the best song he has ever (co)written. confused smiley Credits are the usual Jagger/Richards. Did Keith really bring something great or new to the tune just by replacing the electric guitars? Was Ronnie so infatuated with Keith and the Stones that he was compelled to gift them with the tune after Keith decided he wanted it for the Stones? He said it was his idea to begin with...is Ronnie just that nice of a guy?

VideoJames since you've heard that demo, what is your take on it. Much thanks.

peace

Because the song he got in return, I Can Feel The Fire, was better?

What he didn't consider was that he could have gotten the best Stones song ever, but it would still bomb in the charts, compared to what the Stones would put out smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2015 10:52

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2015 11:04

That's a lot of mix-ups, Keith! grinning smiley

The wah-wah, the hi-fli, Mick Taylor on bass - all that goes for other songs than IORR smiling smiley

For the critics: That was one of the other praisals from Keith about Mick's guitar playing! thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2015 11:18

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2015 11:24

"Keith Richards on acoustic guitar" grinning smiley

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: March 4, 2015 11:42

VideoJames
I have heard the Wick version of IORR with Bowie and Ronnie, maybe the Stones will release it on a "from the vaults" "It's Only Rock n Roll" CD release some day???

I doubt it as it wasn't a stones track at this time.

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: March 4, 2015 13:34

VideoJames
The JJ Flash backing tracks just got reversed by accident on the promo films.

?

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 4, 2015 14:11

I first saw the IORR video during a long programme about pop videos on the bbc in the 80's. When i bought the single soon after i was really disappointed. I still think that video version is much better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2015 15:43

treaclefingers
On Start Me Up, I think Mick is miming to a different backing track.

It's the LP version.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2015 15:47

swimtothemoon

From what is able to be understood the Stones did record a version of it. That's possibly, and more so, probably, the one used in the video.

They didn't like it so the Wood/Bowie/Jones/Jagger version was messed with (obviously the songwriting credit should read Jagger-Wood) for the Stones' LP version.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2015 15:48

DandelionPowderman

For the critics: That was one of the other praisals from Keith about Mick's guitar playing! thumbs up

And that was from 1974 - a long before that jealous-sounding, bitter man appeared on scene making ill remarks of Jagger's guitar playing... (funnily, if Jagger was already so damn great in 1974 that he almost scared Keith, how on earth, he soon was so terrible... and, how, 40 years later, so good again...grinning smiley) Anyway, it is heart-warming to read such positive, totally good-intented comments about Mick from Keith without any need to add anything small-minded like "but I taught him everything", etc. Those were the days...

My picture is that it was around the time of SOME GIRLS when Jagger's guitar playing started to be some kind of problem for Richards - but most likely it was another things involved as well, not just the guitar, which started to piss him off...

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home