Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2015 00:37

MrThompsonWooft
treaclefingers
James Kirk
For the record when I started this thread my intention wasn't to discuss the success of Paul McCartney. My intention was simply to contrast McCartney's continuing creativity to the Stones total lack of output + continued repeating off themselves on the road doing nearly the same exact show year after year. You could substitute Bruce Springsteen or any number of other artists and the argument would still be valid.

The Stones are in a unique position to at least attempt to grow this music up with mature rock/blues records, but unlike McCartney they simply don't try. They just use their iconic brand to sell wildly expensive concert tickets to line their pockets...They are taking the easy way out.

They still have enough credibility to make albums that matter (like Bob Dylan for example) but they prefer to charge fans $500 to hear them sing "It's Only Rock + Roll" AGAIN and not even try to be creative.

You could look at it from a completely different perspective as well, which is to say that 50+ years on, and even with some diminished capacity, they are the biggest and best live act around, maybe ever.

We can quibble about whether they delve deep enough into their catalogue or not, that's fine, but they have one of the finest if not the finest catalogue of music of which to draw from and are able to perform at a high level well into their 70s.`

As far as creativity and 'new music' is concerned, as has been observed they are still individually creative, but perhaps collectively that muse has passed a long time ago for various reasons.

It's not as though McCartney, or any other legendary performer is out there playing 50% new material in their set list, so what is the big deal?

Why continue to lament about things that are not remotely within your control?

Because some Stones are clearly obsessed with Paul McCartney. He seems to be the first thing they think about in the morning and the last thing at night.

Love McCartney BTW. I thought him a bit the fool in the 80s and 90s with some of the saccharin material he was putting out, but some of the newer material is great and he's 'fab' in concert, saw him 2 years ago.

His voice doesn't hit all the notes but he's absolutely fearless in belting out the vocals, doesn't hold back.

Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 28, 2015 06:11

treaclefingers
MrThompsonWooft
treaclefingers
James Kirk
For the record when I started this thread my intention wasn't to discuss the success of Paul McCartney. My intention was simply to contrast McCartney's continuing creativity to the Stones total lack of output + continued repeating off themselves on the road doing nearly the same exact show year after year. You could substitute Bruce Springsteen or any number of other artists and the argument would still be valid.

The Stones are in a unique position to at least attempt to grow this music up with mature rock/blues records, but unlike McCartney they simply don't try. They just use their iconic brand to sell wildly expensive concert tickets to line their pockets...They are taking the easy way out.

They still have enough credibility to make albums that matter (like Bob Dylan for example) but they prefer to charge fans $500 to hear them sing "It's Only Rock + Roll" AGAIN and not even try to be creative.

You could look at it from a completely different perspective as well, which is to say that 50+ years on, and even with some diminished capacity, they are the biggest and best live act around, maybe ever.

We can quibble about whether they delve deep enough into their catalogue or not, that's fine, but they have one of the finest if not the finest catalogue of music of which to draw from and are able to perform at a high level well into their 70s.`

As far as creativity and 'new music' is concerned, as has been observed they are still individually creative, but perhaps collectively that muse has passed a long time ago for various reasons.

It's not as though McCartney, or any other legendary performer is out there playing 50% new material in their set list, so what is the big deal?

Why continue to lament about things that are not remotely within your control?

Because some Stones are clearly obsessed with Paul McCartney. He seems to be the first thing they think about in the morning and the last thing at night.

Love McCartney BTW. I thought him a bit the fool in the 80s and 90s with some of the saccharin material he was putting out, but some of the newer material is great and he's 'fab' in concert, saw him 2 years ago.

His voice doesn't hit all the notes but he's absolutely fearless in belting out the vocals, doesn't hold back.

A lot of McCartney's new material is excellent and he plays it in concert.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 28, 2015 07:10

Bottom line is the stones would never do a tune like Paul's latest. If that
Is what sells these days then Paul's the guy who can pull It off. I did'nt
read the entire thread but it seems an odd comparison and complaint. A solo
Mick Jagger could get away with doing such a tune but this board would crucify
Him for the tune and neglecting the stones.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 28, 2015 08:55

treaclefingers
dmay
From treaclefingers re my comment on the Dead Kennedys - "Don`t you remember your Dad telling you that when you were listening to Brown Sugar?"

Actually, what dad said, much earlier, was, while watching the Ed SUllivan show here in the U-S-of-A back in the day, one time when the Stones came on: "Look at them. Just look at them. They're disgusting. Why don't you like those nice looking boys, those Beatles." My fate was sealed. A Stones fan forever.

Dad later said, when I played Dylan's "Bringing It All Back Home" album, the album that hooked me on Dylan because of the beauty of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue", foremost among the songs, along with "She Belongs To Me", "Love Minus Zero", and the still relevant "It's Alright Ma", dad's comment on hearing Dylan's voice was, "He sounds like a chicken with its head cut off". You go figure what that line means. Oddly enough, when as a sullen teen I chafed at doing chores around the house or paying attention to the parents, me dad would sing out to me re my chafing, "I ain't gonna work on daddy's farm no more", making up his own version of Dylan's song. So, apparently, the old fluck had paid attention to Bob.
It was difficult to pick a Stones 'period' to pick a song from, so I kind of went, "late classic".

But yeah, stuff we love kids think is old folks music. And you realize that when your children grow up, stuff like Kanye will be considered 'classic' and their kids will look at it like 'grandpa music'.

You see the classic reactions of parents to what their kids listen to through the ages...it's deja vu all over again!
I grew up on Kanye West... But when I asked my younger sister what she thought of his albums, she said "I HATE OLD MUSIC! How can you listen to this garbage?".

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 12:01

I am a big Macca fan. I like it all. Cheese, grit, melody, sadness, bubble gum. Lots of stuff for different moods. Why not? But I can't get past Kanye, he's a poser hack. But its ok. I don't have to love all.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 1, 2015 05:36

James Kirk

Possibly, but I would never know. I stopped listening to anything new of his since he did awful tracks like My Brave Face and that one w/ M Jackson.

I'll stick to his Wings stuff.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 1, 2015 07:36

whitem8
I am a big Macca fan. I like it all. Cheese, grit, melody, sadness, bubble gum. Lots of stuff for different moods. Why not?

I am in full accord with your view.
I hope he'll play All Together Now at Budokan this coming April.smiling smiley I really look forward to the show.

By the way, I'm watching Twenty Flight Rock from Hampton Coliseum live in 1981.
Now I'm remembering that 15 years old McCartney played Eddie Cochran's "Twenty Flight Rock." in front of John.
Then, Paul was invited to join John's group the Quarrymen the very next day.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 1, 2015 15:28

I'll be seeing McCartney as well. I know that the audience loves them, but I hope he puts "All Together Now", "Obladi Oblada" and his tepid version of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" in storage. It's what I call scraping the bottom of the Beatles barrel.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2015 17:53

BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
Why is it always Jaggers fault? If the stones was the only thing he did, the stones would be more than a nostalgia band. But the man has a lot of interests.

I think Keith is the most happy. He hasn't written a complete song in, what, 20 years?

He has just completed an album with new songs + he wrote OMS in 2012.

He wrote (half of) OMS in 1987 or 1988. Mick wrote the other half in 2012.
The album with new songs: probably his riffs made into songs by Steve Jordan (?).
Keith can't write a song on his own (anymore).

BowieStone, what planet do you live on? Obviously not the one Jagger lives on, which is the one where the set lists rely on nothing past 1981 even with his outside interests, which are nothing more than a drop of piss. The Stones are Jagger's biggest opportunity yet it's strictly a nostalgia band.

Jagger's quip a decade ago was then. He hasn't said anything like that since. He's fine with it being a Stones jukebox.

Date: March 1, 2015 18:00

LeonidP
James Kirk

Possibly, but I would never know. I stopped listening to anything new of his since he did awful tracks like My Brave Face and that one w/ M Jackson.

I'll stick to his Wings stuff.

are you saying that you prefer listening to those silly love songs?! eye popping smiley

Date: March 1, 2015 23:52

GasLightStreet
BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
Why is it always Jaggers fault? If the stones was the only thing he did, the stones would be more than a nostalgia band. But the man has a lot of interests.

I think Keith is the most happy. He hasn't written a complete song in, what, 20 years?

The album with new songs: probably his riffs made into songs by Steve Jordan (?).

BowieStone, what planet do you live on? Obviously not the one Jagger lives on, which is the one where the set lists rely on nothing past 1981 even with his outside interests, which are nothing more than a drop of piss. The Stones are Jagger's biggest opportunity yet it's strictly a nostalgia band.

Jagger's quip a decade ago was then. He hasn't said anything like that since. He's fine with it being a Stones jukebox.

EXACTLY! There is barely anything in the setlist post 1981. That's too bad because they have produced some quality music since then. Perhaps not Sticky Fingers quality, but better than what was on the radio when they released new records.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 2, 2015 00:29

To quote James Kirk - "There is barely anything in the setlist post 1981. That's too bad because they have produced some quality music since then."

I had to check on this and you are right. The albums Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang all contain good songs. You gotta wonder why cuts from these albums aren't part of the live setlist mix, rather than the umpteenth by the numbers playing of Honky Tonk Women and such. It makes me wonder why the Stones aren't as bored/tired of playing the s-o-s as some of us are tired/bored of hearing it. Are they living out the title of the Mothers of Invention's "We're Only In It for the Money" album? You can't help but think so.

I'd love to hear the Stones play the best songs put out by the members of the band over the years, whether as part of the Stones or solo, as part of the live show setlist. I remember a line from a review of Keith's first solo album released back in 1988. The reviewer said, "This is the best Rolling Stones album to come out in years". I went, "What?" But, after listening to the album I realized the truth of the reviewer's statement. Keith's solo was better than anything the Stones had done in awhile. I would love to hear the Stones tear up "Take It So Hard", "Make No Mistake", "Rock Awhile", "Locked Away" rather than the almost all oldies show they do today.

This is where I'll give McCartney his props. At least he's trying to incorporate something new into his shows and make music that doesn't rely on the (Beatles) past, though, he has done so.

BTW James Kirk - is your middle name Tiberius? Spock says hey.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 2, 2015 00:33

IMHO that song by PC Rhi &KW is nothing but garbage that no scented trash bag can hide.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 2, 2015 17:40

James Kirk
GasLightStreet
BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone

EXACTLY! There is barely anything in the setlist post 1981. That's too bad because they have produced some quality music since then. Perhaps not Sticky Fingers quality, but better than what was on the radio when they released new records.

I have no idea how you're interpreting my post.
Did I say they play a lot post '81?

But to answer that... On the last tour there was D&G, OOC, Can't be seen, YGMR on most shows. That's 4 out of 19.

But anyway... For Mick The Stones is not an outlet anymore to be creative. He prefers other things/people. Concerning the stones, he probably just loves performing with the combination of the financial aspect of it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 17:42 by BowieStone.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 2, 2015 18:02

Love Four Five Seconds..my 15 and 24-year old nieces love it, and grew up listening to the Beatles.
The Stones give them little reason to get excited.
I thought about this the other day: Macca is still getting his rocks off as an artist. You can crap on that all you want, but I've seen Macca twice the last decade, and he was fantastic. I love his work with Grohl etc...
The Stones don't seem to give a shit anymore.
Don't knock Macca for giving a shit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 18:04 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 2, 2015 18:09

stupidguy2
Love Four Five Seconds..my 15 and 24-year old nieces love it, and grew up listening to the Beatles.
The Stones give them little reason to get excited.
I thought about this the other day: Macca is still getting his rocks off as an artist. You can crap on that all you want, but I've seen Macca twice the last decade, and he was fantastic. I love his work with Grohl etc...
The Stones don't seem to give a shit anymore.
Don't knock Macca for giving a shit.

thumbs up

Date: March 2, 2015 19:26

Why was my original title topic about the Stones being an oldies act deleted?

This was not meant as an OT thread about Paul McCartney. It was meant to show how the Rolling Stones are happy being an oldies act and used McCartney to contrast their lack of activity.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 2, 2015 20:56

Because this is a Stones fan site and the moderator obviously thought your title was somewhat disrespectful to the Stones. It's obvious to Stones fans what the band is content with playing these days, they are old men, playing oldies is their thing. It's more about seeing them still rocking out after 50+ years and the excitement they can sill bring to their shows...new music isn't the reason most fans here are fans and expecting them to be like McCartney is a strange and misinformed opinion. etc., etc. peace

Date: March 2, 2015 21:45

Naturalust
Because this is a Stones fan site and the moderator obviously thought your title was somewhat disrespectful to the Stones. It's obvious to Stones fans what the band is content with playing these days, they are old men, playing oldies is their thing. It's more about seeing them still rocking out after 50+ years and the excitement they can sill bring to their shows...new music isn't the reason most fans here are fans and expecting them to be like McCartney is a strange and misinformed opinion. etc., etc. peace

Seriously? Are the Stones above criticism in your world?

As I've said more than once this thread is not about McCartney. You could substitute any number of artists and the conversation would be the same. People like Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen (see no mention of Paul McCartney. I only used him because he has a top five hit at the moment) are still putting out quality music and adding to their legacy.

Forgive me if I'm a little cynical about the Stones (and their $500 concert tickets. Nothing says rock and roll better than $500 tickets) intentions and lack of artistic output.

A 2015 Sticky Fingers tour is a pathetic cash grab. It is totally against what the band once stood for. They are making themselves the Frankie Valli of the stadium touring circuit + that's too bad because there is still some good music in there that we won't hear for the simple reason there isn't enough money in it for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 21:48 by James Kirk.

Date: March 2, 2015 21:54

James Kirk
Naturalust

As I've said more than once this thread is not about McCartney. You could substitute any number of artists and the conversation would be the same. People like Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen (see no mention of Paul McCartney. I only used him because he has a top five hit at the moment) are still putting out quality music and adding to their legacy.

Forgive me if I'm a little cynical about the Stones (and their $500 concert tickets. Nothing says rock and roll better than $500 tickets) intentions and lack of artistic output.

A 2015 Sticky Fingers tour is a pathetic cash grab. It is totally against what the band once stood for. They are making themselves the Frankie Valli of the stadium touring circuit + that's too bad because there is still some good music in there that we won't hear for the simple reason there isn't enough money in it for them.

Naturalust is not the moderator here. Address your issues with bv.

BTW, it's a little too late for the cash grab-criticism. It started with perfume in 1981 smiling smiley

Date: March 2, 2015 22:01

DandelionPowderman
James Kirk
Naturalust

BTW, it's a little too late for the cash grab-criticism. It started with perfume in 1981 smiling smiley

I'm aware that Naturalust is not a moderator. I was simply responding to his post...I hear what you are saying about the perfume in 1981, but they continued to make new music for decades after that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2015 22:13

James Kirk

This was not meant as an OT thread about Paul McCartney. It was meant to show how the Rolling Stones are happy being an oldies act and used McCartney to contrast their lack of activity.

It was shortened mainly because it was a VERY VERY VERY long title. A title is a headline not an entire story. A long title is messing up the reading of the Tell Me Forum index. Have you ever seen such a long title as the hreadline on the first page of a major newspaper? Probably not.

Also, the title was a negativity campaign against Mick Jagger ("oldie act"). I don't care if people love or hate Macca and/or Jagger, but most of the Macca lovers posts will go into the "Macca stuff" thread, because they are basically mostly interesting for Macca fans, in the genre Beatles vs Stones stuff. No worries. I am sure you will be able to find a Macca site out there when you need a little coke and sympathy...

If this goes on I will of course merge it in where it belongs - into the Macca vs Stones thread. It has been around for years, nothing new.

Bjornulf

Date: March 2, 2015 22:29

bv
James Kirk

It was shortened mainly because it was a VERY VERY VERY long title. A title is a headline not an entire story. A long title is messing up the reading of the Tell Me Forum index. Have you ever seen such a long title as the hreadline on the first page of a major newspaper? Probably not.

Also, the title was a negativity campaign against Mick Jagger ("oldie act"). I don't care if people love or hate Macca and/or Jagger, but most of the Macca lovers posts will go into the "Macca stuff" thread, because they are basically mostly interesting for Macca fans, in the genre Beatles vs Stones stuff. No worries. I am sure you will be able to find a Macca site out there when you need a little coke and sympathy...

If this goes on I will of course merge it in where it belongs - into the Macca vs Stones thread. It has been around for years, nothing new.

Sorry Bjornulf!

As a diehard Stones fan it's never my intention to simply be negative for the sake of being negative towards the band. I thought of it more of constructive criticism comparing them to contemporaries who have had a much greater output in their later years...I am critical because I think the Stones are capable of delivering important work even at this late date,

It's great that they are still out there touring, but they are capable of much more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 22:33 by James Kirk.

Date: March 2, 2015 22:40

James Kirk
DandelionPowderman
James Kirk
Naturalust

I'm aware that Naturalust is not a moderator. I was simply responding to his post...I hear what you are saying about the perfume in 1981, but they continued to make new music for decades after that.

Of course I'm not the moderator but it was pretty obvious why your title was edited. Ok I missed the too long part, I'm not as respectfully subtle as Bjornulf. winking smiley

I'm not above criticism of the Stones in my world, but this is not my world, it's shared by many folks. I might even agree with you on a lot of them. Most of us have our issues with setlists and lack of new records but I've learned that this forum is better served by less critical commentary and more shared excitement. There is plenty to still talk about and get excited about without comparing Jagger to Macca. There are a few topics which seem off limits and worn out here these days, Taylor vs. Wood, Beatles vs. Stones, and imo the warhorse setlist of the modern Stones. They have established who they are and the direction of their late careers and at this point I'm resigned to accept it for what it is, not what I personally want it to be. peace

Date: March 2, 2015 22:48

Naturalust
James Kirk
DandelionPowderman
James Kirk
Naturalust

Of course I'm not the moderator but it was pretty obvious why your title was edited. Ok I missed the too long part, I'm not as respectfully subtle as Bjornulf. winking smiley

I'm not above criticism of the Stones in my world, but this is not my world, it's shared by many folks. I might even agree with you on a lot of them. Most of us have our issues with setlists and lack of new records but I've learned that this forum is better served by less critical commentary and more shared excitement. There is plenty to still talk about and get excited about without comparing Jagger to Macca. There are a few topics which seem off limits and worn out here these days, Taylor vs. Wood, Beatles vs. Stones, and imo the warhorse setlist of the modern Stones. They have established who they are and the direction of their late careers and at this point I'm resigned to accept it for what it is, not what I personally want it to be. peace

I do not accept that is the case. Some people go overboard in their criticism perhaps, but I think positive and negative criticism are accepted no problem here.

People often take it to far, get personal, get angry etc., but that's a different animal altogether.

Date: March 2, 2015 23:06

treaclefingers
Naturalust
James Kirk
DandelionPowderman
James Kirk
Naturalust

I do not accept that is the case. Some people go overboard in their criticism perhaps, but I think positive and negative criticism are accepted no problem here.

People often take it to far, get personal, get angry etc., but that's a different animal altogether.

Well one could consider the Jagger part of the original title as personal...

But I get the feeling that lots of folks including Bjornulf find most the critisism a bit old and weary. Usually the same old complaints.... peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2015 23:19

<<it's a little too late for the cash grab-criticism. It started with perfume in 1981>>

Are you sure it didn't start with Rice Krispies in 1964? smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2015 23:21

This is the same old Beatles vs Stones competition. But hey wake up. John is gone. George is gone. Too sad. The Beatles were gone a la 1970 or so and the Stones have kept rolling for 45 more years. They are still on tour this very year. A solo person is not a band. Can never be compared. Not even close.

When a person - or four persons - are 70 years old or more I think it is unfair to expect or demand anything at all, it is in fact disrespectful. I sense a lot of disrespect in this thread. May be some are frustrated. May be 50+ years of recordings and shows are not enough. Feel free to play all the Beatles and Macca records. Personally I bought RAM but missed out on the others, I never look back. Sort of followed the Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 2, 2015 23:23

Why can't we say 'Mick Jagger is an @#$%&' when he obviously is? So are many geniuses: Prince, Morrissey, Lennon, Kanye West, Dylan, Karajan, Wagner, CĂ©line...

Date: March 2, 2015 23:29

It certainly wasn't meant to be "personal" against Jagger in any way.

Perhaps I am guilty of having too much faith in the Stones creative ability even in 2015 while some here would prefer to just talk about the good old days.

The boldest thing the Stones could do in 2015 to silence their critics and cement their already legendary status would be to produce a great/mature album that would truly grow this music up. I may be in the vast minority, but I can't get excited about another greatest hits tour this time centered around Sticky Fingers. I'd much prefer a serious new work by the Stones,but that is only my own worthless opinion.

I should mention that I am still happy to see them on the road + if they don't care to produce new material that is their choice to make BUT I am convinced they could still make very good new music like Dylan or Paul Simon or any number of other acts their age.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 23:35 by James Kirk.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home