Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:14

Given the Stones sales figure, quoted previously. It seems to dispute the theory that they are unwilling to put out new product because noone will buy.
They will presumably have extracted an excellent royalty rate from UMG, do still plenty of profit to be made.
And likewise for the record company.

Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:16

When we're dead and gone, no one will care about anything McCartney or the Stones released in the last 25 years. You can make an argument for Dylan and Bruce over the same span, but it's arguable, no slam dunk.

Mick's last solo album was greeted with outright hostility (by critics and Keith alike!). And he hasn't made one since.

After the Licks tour, he and Keith felt like they had to had to record at least one more album. It's been 10 years. I doubt they feel bothered to make another one. A mere four albums since the post-'86 "cold war," and you start to notice a track record.

I guess it's kind of disappointing that they're not personally compelled to put out new music for its own sake, sales and critics be damned. But for whatever reason, they're just not wired that way.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:21

drbryant
I mean, I am a Paul McCartney fan and will be taking my family to see him at Tokyo Dome in April. But seriously, is there even a song in the Stones catalogue as awful as this?

A few on TSMR.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:30

Mel Belli
When we're dead and gone, no one will care about anything McCartney or the Stones released in the last 25 years. You can make an argument for Dylan and Bruce over the same span, but it's arguable, no slam dunk.

Mick's last solo album was greeted with outright hostility (by critics and Keith alike!). And he hasn't made one since.

After the Licks tour, he and Keith felt like they had to had to record at least one more album. It's been 10 years. I doubt they feel bothered to make another one. A mere four albums since the post-'86 "cold war," and you start to notice a track record.

I guess it's kind of disappointing that they're not personally compelled to put out new music for its own sake, sales and critics be damned. But for whatever reason, they're just not wired that way.

Well, maybe a journalist might be brave enough to ask.
When they are doing the usual PR stuff to promote something or other.EG Keiths rumoured new album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:37

Mel Belli

Dylan has put out quite a few fantastic songs this century that will hold up quite well when it's all said and done. In fact the songs reflect his current state. I understand that the Stones are cashing in, making tourists happy and going for the last big pay day. My only disappointment is that they don't make music any more that reflects their own current states. We've lost that intimate connection with them. They've grown old, but they haven't grown old with us. I thought they had a need to express themselves, but that faded. Oh well, let those who've never seen them get a peek. I saw James Brown in '83. He was through, and you could see the knee pads under his jumpsuit. I just wait for the next vault release now.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:39

Mcartney is a bore, musics -wise and life wise.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:40

Looking at that Feb 14th set list brought tears to my eyes - has he finally stopped playing that goddawful piece of shit long and winding road. If he has then i will give him the benefit of the doubt. People may go on about Mull Of Kintyre/Frog Song/Ob La Di Ob la da but Long and Winding Road was shit when it came out and always will be as well as representing proof positive that letting Lennon even touch a bass guitar is a crime against humanity. Some may see it as a toilet break opportunity but to be quite honest i'd rather piss my pants in the concert hall while he plays Tomorrow Never Knows for John or Back Seat Of My Car.
Doom and Gloom was terrific, i hope the Stones don't drop it. Problem is they need more new songs of at least that caliber and essentially they seem completely unable to come up with anything on the songwriting front when you look at the last quarter century.
Jagger's voice is actually now far better than McCartney's for the first time in 50+ years, - Fab Macca relies on melody,precision and power and some of his performances for the last several years have moved me to tears - not like listening to Pet Sounds, Til I Die or other Brian Wilson classics but in a way of seeing our family pet run over by a car.
I think that Paul and The Stones need to take a look at what worked best for them at the beginning when they were young, fresh and new to this game. The Stones badly need a song.They need a current hit songwriter who knows what it takes to be commercial yet not sacrifice all your musical principles.
It is therefore my conclusion that Paul should write the song for the Stones next single which they could soup up with some pounding bass, kick ass slide guitar and a snotty shouty vocal.
Then Andrew Oldham needs to come back from coke land and lock the glimmers in a cupboard (not in Mustique but in a low budget no smoking restaurant with a bad wine list and no other spirits and only mirky tapwater in a dirty glass) until they pull their fingers out and write some tunes born out of desperation.
If that fails then they should finally do John's One After 909 in punky slide style like they nearly did when they were offered it in 1963.
If Mick and Keith still haven't come up with anything after all that then Ringo gets to write the next Stones single.

Date: February 27, 2015 00:44

and before you ask, George couldn't write a song for The Stones coz they don't know diminished chords and he couldn't write without them.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:46

True and funny

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:00

Much respect to Paul McCartney and Neil Young and other "oldies" acts that are still doing new things artistically. The Stones? Not so much. The modern material by these artists might not be their best work but at least they're out there working and having the balls to do so. The Stones, as much as I love them, are stale. They have reached artistic death and unless they prove it to me otherwise, they will continue to be stale. Sensitive Stones fans, the truth hurts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 01:01 by Boognish.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:12

ash
Looking at that Feb 14th set list brought tears to my eyes - has he finally stopped playing that goddawful piece of shit long and winding road. If he has then i will give him the benefit of the doubt. People may go on about Mull Of Kintyre/Frog Song/Ob La Di Ob la da but Long and Winding Road was shit when it came out and always will be as well as representing proof positive that letting Lennon even touch a bass guitar is a crime against humanity. Some may see it as a toilet break opportunity but to be quite honest i'd rather piss my pants in the concert hall while he plays Tomorrow Never Knows for John or Back Seat Of My Car.
Doom and Gloom was terrific, i hope the Stones don't drop it. Problem is they need more new songs of at least that caliber and essentially they seem completely unable to come up with anything on the songwriting front when you look at the last quarter century.
Jagger's voice is actually now far better than McCartney's for the first time in 50+ years, - Fab Macca relies on melody,precision and power and some of his performances for the last several years have moved me to tears - not like listening to Pet Sounds, Til I Die or other Brian Wilson classics but in a way of seeing our family pet run over by a car.
I think that Paul and The Stones need to take a look at what worked best for them at the beginning when they were young, fresh and new to this game. The Stones badly need a song.They need a current hit songwriter who knows what it takes to be commercial yet not sacrifice all your musical principles.
It is therefore my conclusion that Paul should write the song for the Stones next single which they could soup up with some pounding bass, kick ass slide guitar and a snotty shouty vocal.
Then Andrew Oldham needs to come back from coke land and lock the glimmers in a cupboard (not in Mustique but in a low budget no smoking restaurant with a bad wine list and no other spirits and only mirky tapwater in a dirty glass) until they pull their fingers out and write some tunes born out of desperation.
If that fails then they should finally do John's One After 909 in punky slide style like they nearly did when they were offered it in 1963.
If Mick and Keith still haven't come up with anything after all that then Ringo gets to write the next Stones single.

The Long and Winding Road is one of my favorite Beatles songs..Not sure what you are talking about.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:16

Speaking about quality, sorry, but the last real good Macca's material was "Band On The Run" IMO (It's a matter of taste of course)...

Speaking about quantity (if anyone cares), let's say in the 21th century, I think every Macca's album has sold less copies than ABB (2.6m) or "40 Licks" (7m) worldwide. If I'm wrong Georgelicks will correct me. And, despite the annoying ticket prices, the Stones have attracted much more people as live act. If I estimate correctly, since 2000 they have played in front of 10 -11 million people. What about Macca's attendance? Maybe Georgelicks knows.

Speaking about creativity, yes, the Stones is only a live band anymore (but still a great one). I can live with it, just enjoying their concerts, when I can attend them. But don't expect from me to commend Macca for creating new music, as the particular music sounds absolutely boring in my ears. And, don't get me wrong, I had never been a "Beatles hater".

I prefer to hear "Doom and Gloom"! As I said, it's matter of taste...

Date: February 27, 2015 01:25

laertisflash
Speaking about quality, sorry, but the last real good Macca's material was "Band On The Run" IMO (It's a matter of taste of course)...

Speaking about quantity (if anyone cares), let's say in the 21th century, I think every Macca's album has sold less copies than ABB (2.6m) or "40 Licks" (7m) worldwide. If I'm wrong Georgelicks will correct me. And, despite the annoying ticket prices, the Stones have attracted much more people as live act. If I estimate correctly, since 2000 they have played in front of 10 -11 million people. What about Macca's attendance? Maybe Georgelicks knows.

Speaking about creativity, yes, the Stones is only a live band anymore (but still a great one). I can live with it, just enjoying their concerts, when I can attend them. But don't expect from me to commend Macca for creating new music, as the particular music sounds absolutely boring in my ears. And, don't get me wrong, I had never been a "Beatles hater".

I prefer to hear "Doom and Gloom"! As I said, it's matter of taste...

While I think the Stones are a total bore now I would rather listen to Jagger and Keith burping then listen to new Macca material.

Date: February 27, 2015 01:29

alhavu1
James Kirk
[www.billboard.com]

In the time since the Rolling Stones released their last studio record "A Bigger Bang" Paul McCartney has released the following records all critical and commercial hits to one degree or another (and yes I understand that these records debut high + fall off fairly quickly, BUT nobody sells records these days as people steal everything on line)

2005 - Chaos and Creation (#6 Billboard)
2007 - Memory Almost Full (#3 Billboard)
2012 - Kisses on the Bottom (#5 Billboard
2013 - New (#3 Billboard)

In addition to these "normal" studio albums McCartney has made two classical records + a couple of experimental albums with the Firemen. He has also toured extensively, been involved in high profile events (ex Olympics, SNL 40th Anniversary, Nirvana reunion etc...) and put out several singles (won a Grammy for Cut Me Some Slack with Dave Grohl)

2005 - Twin Freaks
2006 - Ecce Cor Meum
2008 - Electric Arguments
2011 - Ocean's Kingdom

As I type he has the #4 single in America with Four, Five Seconds. A song that has hit #1 several different countries as well as #1 on the R+B chart in America and hit #2 in Europe.

Point being McCartney may very well be the only living person who is of the same statue of the Rolling Stones and he isn't resting on his laurels. Unlike the Stones he is at least attempting to stretch creatively and "grow this music up" as Keith would say.

At the same time the Rolling Stones have delivered exactly two new songs and some outakes from 40 year old records while touring constantly, but playing the same old warhorses decade after decade. Who would have thought Mick Jagger would allow the Rolling Stones to become a stale oldies act?

Forgive me if I can't get excited about a tour this summer reportedly to be based on Sticky Fingers a record that was released in 1971...44 years ago. In my eyes that's kind of pathetic. I understand that there isn't as much money in making music these days as opposed to playing live, BUT McCartney has more money than the Stones and it doesn't stop him.

Is anyone else upset that the Stones seem ok with just being an oldies act when we know they still have some good new music left it them? Imagine how if they put out one last late in the game classic (or even a very good record) how it would shore up their legacy. McCartney may not get there, but unlike the Stones at least he is trying.

mccartney is a total bore

How can you say that?. If 25 seconds to 40 seconds in this video doesn't get you pumped up then that's your problem I guess.

One thing I can't stand about Macca's videos is they always show corny people in the crowd acting like cornballs. People crying and doing really cornball things. Its really hard to look at. What is with that?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 01:34 by stanlove.

Date: February 27, 2015 01:35

stanlove
alhavu1

How can you say that?. If 25 seconds to 40 seconds in this video doesn't get you pumped up then that's your problem I guess.

[www.youtube.com]
alhavu1 aka. mickscarey hates all things Beatles, with a passion. Rest assured, if there's a Beatles-related thread on iorr he will chime in with his usual blabber. I think he must have an app that notifies him when the word "Beatles" is used here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 01:35 by Boognish.

Posted by: stonehearted ()

<<I think every Macca's album has sold less copies than ABB (2.6m)>>

Quite right, because Macca is a solo act and the Stones are an iconic group. So let's put it this way: Every Macca solo album since 2001 has outsold Goddess in the Doorway and SuperHeavy combined.

stanlove
ash

The Long and Winding Road is one of my favorite Beatles songs..Not sure what you are talking about.

No way Stan, it's limp wristed gayboy Brit pop piano crap. Would've thought Happiness Is A Warm Gun was more up your street.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:40

ash
Long and Winding Road was shit when it came out and always will be as well as representing proof positive that letting Lennon even touch a bass guitar is a crime against humanity. Some may see it as a toilet break opportunity but to be quite honest i'd rather piss my pants in the concert hall while he plays Tomorrow Never Knows for John or Back Seat Of My Car.

cool smiley Hilarious, thanks for the laughs!

Date: February 27, 2015 01:43

Boognish
stanlove
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]
alhavu1 aka. mickscarey hates all things Beatles, with a passion. Rest assured, if there's a Beatles-related thread on iorr he will chime in with his usual blabber. I think he must have an app that notifies him when the word "Beatles" is used here.

Actually I was joking. Did you see that video? Lame as can be.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:49

drbryant
I mean, I am a Paul McCartney fan and will be taking my family to see him at Tokyo Dome in April. But seriously, is there even a song in the Stones catalogue as awful as this?

I wouldn't say that's awful... but Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con, Rock And A Hard Place, Winning Ugly and... Let's Work? Those are AWFUL.

Date: February 27, 2015 01:54

and at least All Together Now @#$%& off after 2mins 40 seconds.
That's what i like about a lot of 60's numbers, if a song was crap, it would be over with really quickly. Paul should get back to writing short crap songs like he used to in the good old days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 01:55 by ash.

Date: February 27, 2015 02:05

Not mentioned by the OP is being featured in 2013 on a song and in a video with the Bloody Beetroots (Out Of Sight), along with his Firemen collaborator Youth.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:12

They're not the same people, at all. I like Stones and McCartney, but come one, they all have lives outside of the band. They all do other stuff and enjoy life. McCartney's also a solo act, and recording and releasing music still obviously gives Paul pleasure, and the Stones, as a band, obviously not their priority now, is it?

Live and Let Live
Gimmie Seltzer... (burp)

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 27, 2015 02:20

<<Live and Let Live>>

Or maybe, better still... Live And Let Die! Haaaaa!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:34

drbryant

Not my cup of tea for sure but I get the feeling Paul was aiming for an audience similar to Keith's latest book about Gus. But judging from the audience reaction it looks like more than a few were pleased. Macca is definitely in the "family entertainment" category these days. peace

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:37

its the lack of self awareness that i find the most incredible-

the website is ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL-a fansite dedicated to the ROLLING STONES-

if you come here and post something that says"look how great this artist is doing while the stones are this oldies act" you cannot expect to get anything but a rude response.
then when you get the rude response you flip out and start calling foul-"dont miss the vein while you're shooting up?" really?? and "north korean like devotion"?? um ...ok
if i went on the U2 website and started saying"look what crap they're putting out.the foo fighters are kicking your asses" or went on the led zeppelin site and started saying "look at page sitting home putting out more best-ofs while the stones are out there doing a great tour" i would expect something less than a positive response.

yet here come the beatleheads - getting all butthurt because they were treated badly and someone said something rude.seriously what on earth is wrong with you people?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:57

James Kirk
[www.billboard.com]

In the time since the Rolling Stones released their last studio record "A Bigger Bang" Paul McCartney has released the following records all critical and commercial hits to one degree or another (and yes I understand that these records debut high + fall off fairly quickly, BUT nobody sells records these days as people steal everything on line)

Or maybe people have realized that crushed dynamics CD's is not the best way to enjoy music and went away to other kind of entertainment, hence the low sales...

Date: February 27, 2015 02:59

lem motlow
its the lack of self awareness that i find the most incredible-

the website is ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL-a fansite dedicated to the ROLLING STONES-

if you come here and post something that says"look how great this artist is doing while the stones are this oldies act" you cannot expect to get anything but a rude response.
then when you get the rude response you flip out and start calling foul-"dont miss the vein while you're shooting up?" really?? and "north korean like devotion"?? um ...ok
if i went on the U2 website and started saying"look what crap they're putting out.the foo fighters are kicking your asses" or went on the led zeppelin site and started saying "look at page sitting home putting out more best-ofs while the stones are out there doing a great tour" i would expect something less than a positive response.

yet here come the beatleheads - getting all butthurt because they were treated badly and someone said something rude.seriously what on earth is wrong with you people?
So if someone came here criticizing The Stones while not mentioning any other act to compare them to, would that be fine?

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: February 27, 2015 03:26

The problem to me, anyway, is not that they do "oldies" per se. It's that they do the same old songs night after night, tour after tour, when they have such a great catalogue to choose from. Heck, 5 songs from Exile have NEVER been done live and another handful only a time or two. What happend to Aftermath and Between the Buttons??? I'd gladly fork over $1000 for a show that had a few like Doncha Bother Me, It's Not Easy, I Am Waiting, Flight 505, All Sold Out, Miss Amanda Jones. What About BB? Parachute Woman, Dear Doctor, Jigsaw Puzzle. Just toss in a couple of the above and I'm happy.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2015 04:30

If Macca did not play his classics people would not go same as the Stones. People these are old men that we are expecting too much from. be happy they can both go out and play well!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home