Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:11

lem motlow
thats great,good to hear..now please go away.there has got to be a beatles fansite somewhere on the internet where you guys can talk about this lame-ass amongst yourselves.

maybe its called "get back" or "come together" or "we love the beatles"or something.just go there,now...i'm begging you.

Is it you, Michael Savage?
Either way, when the retorical arguments are running out, one can always be personal. Way too low...

Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Date: February 26, 2015 22:13

lem motlow
RoughJusticeOnYa
Might as well read:

"Paul McCartney has a top 5 single... tough it's nothing more than yet another one of those sh*ty st*nkers of songs, these insults to humanity he's been writing ever since who-knows-how-long; a man who defecates absolutely gruesome stuff like "Mull Of Kintire", "Ebony and Ivory", "the Girl is mine" ànd "ob la di (etc.)" in ONE & the same lifetime should never have been knighted but horendously tortured instead;

while Mick Jagger is happy, just like Stonesfans worldwide, having the Stones to be the killer LIVE act they've always been, first & foremost; being able to play from an almighty, almost surreally impressive backcatalogue with literally dozens of popular hits as well as all-time rock'n'roll classics that make it really REALLY hard NOT to play the same songs over & over again, especially in view of the crowds the're still catching...
"

But I DO think I'm miscueing, here... (Where did I go wrong?!)

EDIT: Ooops - now I see. "...happy just like Stonesfans worldwide": should 've chosen those words more carefully.

no kidding.i'm filing this one under "beatleheads say the funniest things"

those #3 and #5 billboard chartings are absolute bombs that dropped off the charts after a few days.if one of them even made it to being a gold record i'd be shocked.
not to mention the music,if you can call it that, absolutly sucks on ice.its cringeworthy to even listen to paul try to get through one of his "new songs'

yet his lapdogs,i mean fans use all these flowery words they saw in music reviews-"its vital new grounbreaking material"-no its crap no one wants to hear from a has been who has lost his ability to write a decent song.
is he gonna do an entire live show of the songs from these records that didnt sell?-no, he's gonna make people suffer through a couple of them and then go to the hits.at least the stones knew when to give it up.

the title of this thread should be "paul mccartney crawls on his knees to kanye west to get a hit while the stones keep rolling"

Again, a sad example of getting personal when arguments are running out...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:16

lem motlow
thats great,good to hear..now please go away.there has got to be a beatles fansite somewhere on the internet where you guys can talk about this lame-ass amongst yourselves.

maybe its called "get back" or "come together" or "we love the beatles"or something.just go there,now...i'm begging you.
Typical jealous intolerance. Anything other than slavish, North Korea-style devotion to the Stones automatically results in a Stalinist purging from the fan club.

The Stones are stale and feeble...I love them and honestly don't care for McCartney much but I have much more respect for him as an artist than I do for the Stones these days.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:18

Blueranger

Is that his newest setlist?

From Irving Plaza NY, Feb. 14 of this year. I still call BS on him touring behind new music. Show me a show where even 1/4 of the songs are from a "new" record. I saw him perform last summer and his old material was what got the crowd going and what I thought was best. I love him and respect his musicianship, he's held up amazingly well, but comparing him to the Stones is kind of pointless.

And yes, I'd love to see a new great record from the Stones, who wouldn't?, but I'm not going to be critical of them for resting on their laurels at this point. They are what they are, the last great band still playing together from the early days of rock and roll and the playing together part has obviously become the focus and draw, not the new music. They are old men and have exceeded my expectations as such, we're lucky they are still giving us anything at this point. Nostalgia in the case of the Stones isn't a bad thing, yeah, it's the only thing, but still a good thing. smoking smiley peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 22:24 by Naturalust.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:27

<<those #3 and #5 billboard chartings are absolute bombs that dropped off the charts after a few days.if one of them even made it to being a gold record i'd be shocked.>>

Maybe you'd better put your testosterone injection down before you read this, you wouldn't want to miss the vein and wind up spraying your computer screen with blood.

The 2005 album (the #6 Billboard placing) went gold in 5 countries, including the U.S., UK, and Canada. The 2007 album (the #3 Billboard placing) gold again in those same 3 countries and platinum in Russia.

Not mentioned in the OP's list is a live album from 2009, Good Evening New York City, that was silver in the UK and gold in the U.S.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:28

it never gets old-

"north korean style devotion"-"stalinist purging"-"getting personaL when arguements are running out"-"the stones are stale and feeble"

i dont do it to upset you guys,i swear i dont. but damnit you lose your minds sooo bad and its funny as hell.i shouldve bashed mick and keith instead ,no one would've gotten upset.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:33

keefriff99
lem motlow

Typical jealous intolerance. Anything other than slavish, North Korea-style devotion to the Stones automatically results in a Stalinist purging from the fan club.

The Stones are stale and feeble...I love them and honestly don't care for McCartney much but I have much more respect for him as an artist than I do for the Stones these days.

hey the Stones might be old but they aint feeble

and they would never ever title an album 'kisses on the bottom'...

Date: February 26, 2015 22:40

duke richardson
keefriff99
lem motlow

hey the Stones might be old but they aint feeble

and they would never ever title an album 'kisses on the bottom'...
ARTISTICALLY feeble, I meant.

I LOVE the Stones and I'm so happy theyr'e all still with us and kicking ass. I just want them to DO more with the time they've got left with each other. What's wrong with that?

Date: February 26, 2015 22:40

Naturalust
Blueranger

From Irving Plaza NY, Feb. 14 of this year. I still call BS on him touring behind new music. Show me a show where even 1/4 of the songs are from a "new" record. I saw him perform last summer and his old material was what got the crowd going and what I thought was best. I love him and respect his musicianship, he's held up amazingly well, but comparing him to the Stones is kind of pointless.

And yes, I'd love to see a new great record from the Stones, who wouldn't?, but I'm not going to be critical of them for resting on their laurels at this point. They are what they are, the last great band still playing together from the early days of rock and roll and the playing together part has obviously become the focus and draw, not the new music. They are old men and have exceeded my expectations as such, we're lucky they are still giving us anything at this point. Nostalgia in the case of the Stones isn't a bad thing, yeah, it's the only thing, but still a good thing. smoking smiley peace

1. When you are going to a concert, do you then expect to hear 1/4 material being new? The last time both The Stones and McCartney did that, was in the seventies.

2. When you are going to a Stones concert, what do you think gets the crowd going? Doom & Gloom or Brown Sugar? Of course old material are what people goes wild to.

Date: February 26, 2015 22:45

lem motlow
it never gets old-

"north korean style devotion"-"stalinist purging"-"getting personaL when arguements are running out"-"the stones are stale and feeble"

i dont do it to upset you guys,i swear i dont. but damnit you lose your minds sooo bad and its funny as hell.i shouldve bashed mick and keith instead ,no one would've gotten upset.
YOU'RE the one accusing those of us who dare to criticize the Stones' lack of artistic drive of being McCartney groupies, and then literally telling us to leave the site.

I'm hardly exaggerating by accusing you of being something of a Stones cultist when you hysterically overreact like that.

I don't have to prove my Stones love (I've been visiting this very site since the late '90s, for god's sake and posting on and off since 2002), nor should I have to apologize for admiring McCartney's career, even if I'm not in love with the actual music he produces.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:52

I love Paul, but lets face it, age has caused him to lose something off his fastball. Great live show, still churns out the classics...but he hasn't put out anything new worth listening too since Tug of War

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:57

"Peace everybody - peace - cool it - everybody - stop pushing each other - cool it, everybody, pleeaaase!"

Altamount Speedway, December 1969.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:58

chop
I love Paul, but lets face it, age has caused him to lose something off his fastball. Great live show, still churns out the classics...but he hasn't put out anything new worth listening too since Tug of War

Flowers in the dirt
Flaming pie
Run devil run
Chaos and Creation in the backyard
Memory almost full
New

All excellent to brilliant albums since Tug of War. And I'm not even mentioning his fantastic Unplugged and other live albums.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:00

Blueranger
Naturalust
Blueranger

1. When you are going to a concert, do you then expect to hear 1/4 material being new? The last time both The Stones and McCartney did that, was in the seventies.

2. When you are going to a Stones concert, what do you think gets the crowd going? Doom & Gloom or Brown Sugar? Of course old material are what people goes wild to.

I'd say his latest set list speaks for itself. My point is that Macca is hardly touring on his new music. Not that I expect or want him to. You even state people are expecting nothing but the classics.

Don't understand the emotional responses and side taking here. We will all be worse off when both the Stones and Macca have called it quits, count your blessings and let them play and write whatever the hell they want at this point. Save you artistic expectations for new artists that are hungry, in their prime and have something new to say. peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:01

Quite a brewhaha has developed in this thread over Macca's renewed chart success as a singles artist. The Beatles v. Stones rivalry is as strong as ever, and no doubt ALO must be grinning broadly over the fact that his marketing strategy of a half century ago is still doing its work.

There's really nothing untrue in the thread title. It isn't a slight against the artistic integrity or drive of the Stones. We don't know what they've been creating on their own, but have no plans for releasing publicly. All it means is that Mick Jagger has simply lost his desire to sell records. He seems to have realized that he no longer needs a new album to get into the Oscar's and Brit Awards after-show parties. He's Mr. Hot Rocks, and for as long as he lives his place among rock royalty will be secure.

Myself, I'm a huge McCartney fan, have all his albums, know all his hits... except this new one with what's his name. This is one Macca greatest hit that I think I'll pass on, and likely never hear a note or verse of, if I'm lucky.

If this is what it takes for a seventy-something artist from the sixties to have a hit these days, then I'd prefer that they just keep to the classic hits. I'm sure the last thing anyone wants is to have Kim KardASSian's husband on a Stones single, just to make it and the new album a hit.

Say, whatever happened to that 50 & Counting Live Duets album that they say was in the can about a year ago and set to be released on iTunes? You could ask Mick, but he's probably forgotten all about it by now.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:03

stanlove
KeithNacho
Yes, i am upset and Rolling Stones do not move me too much these last years. I did't attend any show of these last tours.
I need some fresh music and some improvement on the guitar section. They should work on a new album and tour playing some new songs.

The Stones are not able to make good music anymore. They have tried. They are my favorite band ever by far but I can't figure them out. They have played basically the same concert now for quarter of a century and now plan on doing it some more.

I can't believe that any of them want to keep doing this, it got boring decades ago. I can't believe that Mick and Keith would rather just do the same thi9ng over and over again before doing something new on their own.

It's interesting that some fans think the Stones are boring - you wonder if they've actually seen the group. I go to dozens of concerts every year by all kinds of acts. But, I look at this clip of the Stones at their most recent show in Auckland - with the epic Mick Taylor solo, and Jagger on the mini-stage, as sheets of rain fall - and "boring" is the last thing that comes to mind. In fact, I can't think of anyone that is anywhere near this good. I took this video, by the way, and as great as it is, it doesn't capture how amazing it was to see it live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 23:05 by drbryant.

Date: February 26, 2015 23:04

caschimann
"Peace everybody - peace - cool it - everybody - stop pushing each other - cool it, everybody, pleeaaase!"

Altamount Speedway, December 1969.
IF THOSE CATS DON'T STOP IT, MAN...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:14

I mean, I am a Paul McCartney fan and will be taking my family to see him at Tokyo Dome in April. But seriously, is there even a song in the Stones catalogue as awful as this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 23:16 by drbryant.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:15

stanlove
KeithNacho
Yes, i am upset and Rolling Stones do not move me too much these last years. I did't attend any show of these last tours.
I need some fresh music and some improvement on the guitar section. They should work on a new album and tour playing some new songs.

The Stones are not able to make good music anymore. They have tried. They are my favorite band ever by far but I can't figure them out. They have played basically the same concert now for quarter of a century and now plan on doing it some more.

I can't believe that any of them want to keep doing this, it got boring decades ago. I can't believe that Mick and Keith would rather just do the same thi9ng over and over again before doing something new on their own.

Well, Chuck Berry and most of his cohorts have been doing the same since the mid 60's...ie little in the way of NEW music, but constant touring.
Pays the tax man, lifestyle etc.
Its show biz, being an artist doesnt come into it.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:21

drbryant
stanlove
KeithNacho

It's interesting that some fans think the Stones are boring - you wonder if they've actually seen the group. I go to dozens of concerts every year by all kinds of acts. But, I look at this clip of the Stones at their most recent show in Auckland - with the epic Mick Taylor solo, and Jagger on the mini-stage, as sheets of rain fall - and "boring" is the last thing that comes to mind. In fact, I can't think of anyone that is anywhere near this good. I took this video, by the way, and as great as it is, it doesn't capture how amazing it was to see it live.

It's not that they are boring as a live act, but what is boring is that they continue to do the same exact thing tour after tour and they don't even bother to produce new material.

If you go to a Springsteen, McCartney or Dylan show they always play new material. How many times do you want to hear Miss You live? As artists (and I use that term lightly these day) you would think that they would get tired of playing the same songs night after night. As artists wouldn't they want to attempt to create something great rather that be an oldies act?

Hat's off to Paul McCartney and the success of "Four Five Seconds" while the Stones tour behind a 44 year old record.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:23

FYI:59,145,472 hits on this single Youtube clip.
[www.youtube.com]

Hat's off to Paul McCartney and the success of "Four Five Seconds" while the Stones are touring behind outtakes from a 44 year old record and playing Miss You for $500 a ticket...The Stones are better than this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 23:25 by James Kirk.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:28

James Kirk
[www.billboard.com]

In the time since the Rolling Stones released their last studio record "A Bigger Bang" Paul McCartney has released the following records all critical and commercial hits to one degree or another (and yes I understand that these records debut high + fall off fairly quickly, BUT nobody sells records these days as people steal everything on line)

2005 - Chaos and Creation (#6 Billboard)
2007 - Memory Almost Full (#3 Billboard)
2012 - Kisses on the Bottom (#5 Billboard
2013 - New (#3 Billboard)

In addition to these "normal" studio albums McCartney has made two classical records + a couple of experimental albums with the Firemen. He has also toured extensively, been involved in high profile events (ex Olympics, SNL 40th Anniversary, Nirvana reunion etc...) and put out several singles (won a Grammy for Cut Me Some Slack with Dave Grohl)

2005 - Twin Freaks
2006 - Ecce Cor Meum
2008 - Electric Arguments
2011 - Ocean's Kingdom

As I type he has the #4 single in America with Four, Five Seconds. A song that has hit #1 several different countries as well as #1 on the R+B chart in America and hit #2 in Europe.

Point being McCartney may very well be the only living person who is of the same statue of the Rolling Stones and he isn't resting on his laurels. Unlike the Stones he is at least attempting to stretch creatively and "grow this music up" as Keith would say.

At the same time the Rolling Stones have delivered exactly two new songs and some outakes from 40 year old records while touring constantly, but playing the same old warhorses decade after decade. Who would have thought Mick Jagger would allow the Rolling Stones to become a stale oldies act?

Forgive me if I can't get excited about a tour this summer reportedly to be based on Sticky Fingers a record that was released in 1971...44 years ago. In my eyes that's kind of pathetic. I understand that there isn't as much money in making music these days as opposed to playing live, BUT McCartney has more money than the Stones and it doesn't stop him.

Is anyone else upset that the Stones seem ok with just being an oldies act when we know they still have some good new music left it them? Imagine how if they put out one last late in the game classic (or even a very good record) how it would shore up their legacy. McCartney may not get there, but unlike the Stones at least he is trying.

mccartney is a total bore

Date: February 26, 2015 23:29

drbryant
I mean, I am a Paul McCartney fan and will be taking my family to see him at Tokyo Dome in April. But seriously, is there even a song in the Stones catalogue as awful as this?

Love that song. Always have.

A Muppets version can be found on Kermit Unpigged.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:30

Don't have anything against McCartney, but only the most deluded fanboy would think he's the one responsible for that song's popularity. Despite repeated attempts, he hasn't had a decent hit here in the US since Spies Like Us, 30 years ago. Even the Stones, with their meager output since then, have had better chart success.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:42

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 23:44 by georgelicks.

Date: February 26, 2015 23:44

StonesCat
Don't have anything against McCartney, but only the most deluded fanboy would think he's the one responsible for that song's popularity. Despite repeated attempts, he hasn't had a decent hit here in the US since Spies Like Us, 30 years ago. Even the Stones, with their meager output since then, have had better chart success.

Weren't songs like My Brave Face, This One or Hope of Deliverance radio-hits in ths US? In Europe they were quite popular.

Date: February 26, 2015 23:47

Paul is experiencing success? Good on him!

Why are we even discussing him on this site, let alone comparing this solo artist with the Stones?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:49

BowieStone
StonesCat

Weren't songs like My Brave Face, This One or Hope of Deliverance radio-hits in ths US? In Europe they were quite popular.

The first one broke top 30 barely, the other two I've honestly never heard of.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2015 23:57

DandelionPowderman
Paul is experiencing success? Good on him!

Why are we even discussing him on this site, let alone comparing this solo artist with the Stones?

thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 27, 2015 00:02

StonesCat

He had way more hits than the Stones' in the States in the last 20 years:

Stones (1995-2015) - 1 Hot 100 Hit - 5 Top 10 Albums
- Saint Of Me (US #94)

- Stripped (#9)
- B2B (#3)
- 40 Licks (#2)
- ABB (#3)
- Exile re-issue (#2)

Macca - 6 Hot 100 Hits - 7 Top 10 Albums
- The World Tonight (#64)
- Freedom (#97)
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (with U2 - #48)
- Dance Tonight (#69)
- Only One (#35)
- FourFiveSeconds (#4)

- Flaming Pie (#2)
- Wingspan: Hits and History (#2)
- Back in the U.S. (#8)
- Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (#6)
- Memory Almost Full (#3)
- Kisses on the Bottom (#5)
- New (#3)
+ all the Beatles stuff (4 #1 Albums + 4 Top 10 Albums)

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home