Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 26, 2015 18:41

... While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act

[www.billboard.com]

In the time since the Rolling Stones released their last studio record "A Bigger Bang" Paul McCartney has released the following records all critical and commercial hits to one degree or another (and yes I understand that these records debut high + fall off fairly quickly, BUT nobody sells records these days as people steal everything on line)

2005 - Chaos and Creation (#6 Billboard)
2007 - Memory Almost Full (#3 Billboard)
2012 - Kisses on the Bottom (#5 Billboard
2013 - New (#3 Billboard)

In addition to these "normal" studio albums McCartney has made two classical records + a couple of experimental albums with the Firemen. He has also toured extensively, been involved in high profile events (ex Olympics, SNL 40th Anniversary, Nirvana reunion etc...) and put out several singles (won a Grammy for Cut Me Some Slack with Dave Grohl)

2005 - Twin Freaks
2006 - Ecce Cor Meum
2008 - Electric Arguments
2011 - Ocean's Kingdom

As I type he has the #4 single in America with Four, Five Seconds. A song that has hit #1 several different countries as well as #1 on the R+B chart in America and hit #2 in Europe.

Point being McCartney may very well be the only living person who is of the same stature of the Rolling Stones and he isn't resting on his laurels. Unlike the Stones he is at least attempting to stretch creatively and "grow this music up" as Keith would say.

At the same time the Rolling Stones have delivered exactly two new songs and some outakes from 40 year old records while touring constantly, but playing the same old warhorses decade after decade. Who would have thought Mick Jagger would allow the Rolling Stones to become a stale oldies act?

Forgive me if I can't get excited about a tour this summer reportedly to be based on Sticky Fingers a record that was released in 1971...44 years ago. In my eyes that's kind of pathetic. I understand that there isn't as much money in making music these days as opposed to playing live, BUT McCartney has more money than the Stones and it doesn't stop him.

Is anyone else upset that the Stones seem ok with just being an oldies act when we know they still have some good new music left it them? Imagine how if they put out one last late in the game classic (or even a very good record) how it would shore up their legacy. McCartney may not get there, but unlike the Stones at least he is trying.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 17:41 by bv.

Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Date: February 26, 2015 18:44

Paul, who?

Re: Paul McCartney has a top 5 single...While Mick Jagger is happy having the Stones be an oldies act
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 26, 2015 18:50

Yes, i am upset and Rolling Stones do not move me too much these last years. I did't attend any show of these last tours.
I need some fresh music and some improvement on the guitar section. They should work on a new album and tour playing some new songs.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:03

KeithNacho
Yes, i am upset and Rolling Stones do not move me too much these last years. I did't attend any show of these last tours.
I need some fresh music and some improvement on the guitar section. They should work on a new album and tour playing some new songs.

The Stones are not able to make good music anymore. They have tried. They are my favorite band ever by far but I can't figure them out. They have played basically the same concert now for quarter of a century and now plan on doing it some more.

I can't believe that any of them want to keep doing this, it got boring decades ago. I can't believe that Mick and Keith would rather just do the same thi9ng over and over again before doing something new on their own.

Date: February 26, 2015 19:06

stanlove
KeithNacho

The Stones are not able to make good music anymore. They have tried. They are my favorite band ever by far but I can't figure them out. They have played basically the same concert now for quarter of a century and now plan on doing it some more.

I can't believe that any of them want to keep doing this, it got boring decades ago. I can't believe that Mick and Keith would rather just do the same thi9ng over and over again before doing something new on their own.

It might be that you're in for a surprise this time...

They have not tried. Their last new album was a decade ago. Gave up is more like it. Live concerts with ridiculous prices are a cash grab for them. It takes some effort to create new music.

The Stones are business people these days not artists.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()

I can't understand how can Mick feel happy with this!! He is a hard worker an he has always been trying new formulas and new music. Now it is boring boring to hell, just like a cover band playing warhorses

Date: February 26, 2015 19:09

James Kirk
They have not tried. Their last new album was a decade ago. Gave up is more like it. Live concerts with ridiculous prices are a cash grab for them. It takes some effort to create new music.

The Stones are business people these days not artists.

What is this, then?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:22

Might as well read:

"Paul McCartney has a top 5 single... tough it's nothing more than yet another one of those sh*ty st*nkers of songs, these insults to humanity he's been writing ever since who-knows-how-long; a man who defecates absolutely gruesome stuff like "Mull Of Kintire", "Ebony and Ivory", "the Girl is mine" ànd "ob la di (etc.)" in ONE & the same lifetime should never have been knighted but horendously tortured instead;

while Mick Jagger is happy, just like Stonesfans worldwide, having the Stones to be the killer LIVE act they've always been, first & foremost; being able to play from an almighty, almost surreally impressive backcatalogue with literally dozens of popular hits as well as all-time rock'n'roll classics that make it really REALLY hard NOT to play the same songs over & over again, especially in view of the crowds the're still catching...
"

But I DO think I'm miscueing, here... (Where did I go wrong?!)

EDIT: Ooops - now I see. "...happy just like Stonesfans worldwide": should 've chosen those words more carefully.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:25

Can't disagree with you. The Stones have such a vast number of tracks, if they use added songs like I got the blues, she's a rainbow, love is strong, one hit to the body, and remove songs like miss you, it's only rock and roll, tumbling g dice to name a few. The set lists would be more interesting

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:27

I used to find the constant whining really annoying.

Now the whining only bores me, so I guess I'm mellowing with age.

Date: February 26, 2015 19:27

Danderliompowderman

That was 1 of the 2 songs they released in a DECADE. I for one thought it was a pretty good single. Not Exile good, but damn good for 2012 or whenever they released it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 19:33 by James Kirk.

Date: February 26, 2015 19:28

IrisC
Can't disagree with you. The Stones have such a vast number of tracks, if they use added songs like I got the blues, she's a rainbow, love is strong, one hit to the body, and remove songs like miss you, it's only rock and roll, tumbling g dice to name a few. The set lists would be more interesting

They have played all of those songs live, and there probably is a reason why they're not playing them again. There are good chances for getting IGTB soon, though winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:49

<<What is this, then?

[Doom and Gloom YoutTube clip]
>>

A song they'll be dropping from their set list this summer and setting aside forever, like ABB (except in those European markets that made Streets of Love a hit).

Date: February 26, 2015 19:51

stonehearted
<<What is this, then?

[Doom and Gloom YoutTube clip]
>>

A song they'll be dropping from their set list this summer and setting aside forever, like ABB (except in those European markets that made Streets of Love a hit).

wow...that's rough justice stonehearted.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:54

The Stones are not a band anymore, they are a touring corporation, 2 studio albums in 20 years, they're done as recording act.

Date: February 26, 2015 19:57

georgelicks
The Stones are not a band anymore, they are a touring corporation, 2 studio albums in 20 years, they're done as recording act.

Well, as their new albums don't really sell anymore, they seem to have timed that one perfectly.

[hang on...I've just had a distinct case of deja vu]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2015 20:13

Stones songs are Jagger/Richards compositions while Macca writes for himself. I believe Mick is still probably writing songs and Keith also to a lesser extent but as the years go on it's probably less rewarding and more difficult for them to do so together. Like old married couples that eventually end up sleeping in different beds, so to have Mick and Keith become where songwriting is concerned.

It is an intimate process (songwriting) and I just don't think those two can genuinely be intimate with each other anymore. They've just grown apart too much, socially, ideologically and even artistically. Their common ground is as old as the songs they play together with the Stones, and with the success of the tours they have no real incentive to produce new Stones music. Unfortunately, nobody is pushing them for an album a year like the old days. peace

Date: February 26, 2015 20:37

georgelicks

Exactly and that's ashame.

As I stated earlier they have become business men rather than artists. They are capable of so much more...McCartney may not be putting out Beatle level material although who is(most of his new music is quite good)but he cares enough as an artist to try and push this music forward.

McCartney tours behind new music. The Stones will soon be touring behind a 44 year old record. It strikes me as being desperate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 20:39 by James Kirk.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 26, 2015 20:49

Yes. I have been under the impression that both Mick and Keith write completely
Separate from each other now. Ant mutual changes are then worked out in the studio during the early recording process. Obviously they have not been recorded much new music lately so this has been going on for years. I assume at least
Back to Bridges in 1997. Honestly the last time I remember Mick and Keith writing together(like the old days)was Steel Wheels. Maybe Voodo Lounge - I'm just not
Sure. Some of the well known boots from the Voodo sessions would maybe imply they
Were.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 26, 2015 20:58

Unfortunately the whole music industry has changed for the worse - people have no attention span anymore with itunes - youtube etc... its what's the flavor of the week then its kicked to the curb, there have been very few good full albums from any artists over the last decade - just sayin...
The last good stones album was a solo effort by Keith Richards

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: February 26, 2015 20:59

I posted something similar a week or so ago and it was shunted into the Beatles thread.

And still Stones fans attempt to belittle McCartney.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: February 26, 2015 21:02

There should be someone who would lock Mick and Keith into kitchen and only lets them out when 12 new songs are ready to be recorded grinning smiley

Date: February 26, 2015 21:04

James Kirk
Danderliompowderman

That was 1 of the 2 songs they released in a DECADE. I for one thought it was a pretty good single. Not Exile good, but damn good for 2012 or whenever they released it

They released an album (ABB ), 2 bonus tracks, 4 songs with 40 Licks, Hurricane and these two songs in a decade (+ the Stu tribute song), to split hairs a little. I agree on it being way too few releases, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 21:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2015 21:04

James Kirk
As I stated earlier they have become business men rather than artists. They are capable of so much more...McCartney may not be putting out Beatle level material although who is(most of his new music is quite good)but he cares enough as an artist to try and push this music forward.

McCartney tours behind new music. The Stones will soon be touring behind a 44 year old record. It strikes me as being desperate

They still exhibit their current artistry, just not with the Stones. SuperHeavy and Keith's (in the can) solo record are the latest incarnations.

The Stones desperate? That is a HUGE stretch, not by a long shot. Regardless of their set list they are still one of the hottest, most in demand acts of today.

The comparison to McCartney is moot. Not only does he play a GREAT majority of Beatles, Wings and cover tunes in his show, he hires a competent band of sidemen to pull it off.Just look at his most recent set list from February 14 of this year! Touring behind new music? I don't think so.

Eight Days a Week
(The Beatles song)
Save Us
All My Loving
(The Beatles song)
One After 909
(The Beatles song)
Matchbox
(Carl Perkins cover)
Let Me Roll It
(Wings song)
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
(Wings song)
My Valentine
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen a Face
(The Beatles song)
It's So Easy
(The Crickets cover)
Every Night
Another Day
We Can Work It Out
(The Beatles song)
And I Love Her
(The Beatles song)
New
Lady Madonna
(The Beatles song)
Jet
(Wings song)
Drive My Car
(The Beatles song)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
(The Beatles song)
Back in the U.S.S.R.
(The Beatles song)
Let It Be
(The Beatles song)
Hey Jude
(The Beatles song)
Encore:
Golden Slumbers
(The Beatles song)
Carry That Weight
(The Beatles song)
The End
(The Beatles song)

peace

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 26, 2015 21:52

treaclefingers
georgelicks

Well, as their new albums don't really sell anymore, they seem to have timed that one perfectly.

[hang on...I've just had a distinct case of deja vu]

>grinning smiley<

Say it with me folks....victory lap. It's not a bad thing.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 26, 2015 21:52

RoughJusticeOnYa
Might as well read:

"Paul McCartney has a top 5 single... tough it's nothing more than yet another one of those sh*ty st*nkers of songs, these insults to humanity he's been writing ever since who-knows-how-long; a man who defecates absolutely gruesome stuff like "Mull Of Kintire", "Ebony and Ivory", "the Girl is mine" ànd "ob la di (etc.)" in ONE & the same lifetime should never have been knighted but horendously tortured instead;

while Mick Jagger is happy, just like Stonesfans worldwide, having the Stones to be the killer LIVE act they've always been, first & foremost; being able to play from an almighty, almost surreally impressive backcatalogue with literally dozens of popular hits as well as all-time rock'n'roll classics that make it really REALLY hard NOT to play the same songs over & over again, especially in view of the crowds the're still catching...
"

But I DO think I'm miscueing, here... (Where did I go wrong?!)

EDIT: Ooops - now I see. "...happy just like Stonesfans worldwide": should 've chosen those words more carefully.

no kidding.i'm filing this one under "beatleheads say the funniest things"

those #3 and #5 billboard chartings are absolute bombs that dropped off the charts after a few days.if one of them even made it to being a gold record i'd be shocked.
not to mention the music,if you can call it that, absolutly sucks on ice.its cringeworthy to even listen to paul try to get through one of his "new songs'

yet his lapdogs,i mean fans use all these flowery words they saw in music reviews-"its vital new grounbreaking material"-no its crap no one wants to hear from a has been who has lost his ability to write a decent song.
is he gonna do an entire live show of the songs from these records that didnt sell?-no, he's gonna make people suffer through a couple of them and then go to the hits.at least the stones knew when to give it up.

the title of this thread should be "paul mccartney crawls on his knees to kanye west to get a hit while the stones keep rolling"

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 26, 2015 21:53

Naturalust
James Kirk

They still exhibit their current artistry, just not with the Stones. SuperHeavy and Keith's (in the can) solo record are the latest incarnations.

The Stones desperate? That is a HUGE stretch, not by a long shot. Regardless of their set list they are still one of the hottest, most in demand acts of today.

The comparison to McCartney is moot. Not only does he play a GREAT majority of Beatles, Wings and cover tunes in his show, he hires a competent band of sidemen to pull it off.Just look at his most recent set list from February 14 of this year! Touring behind new music? I don't think so.

Eight Days a Week
(The Beatles song)
Save Us
All My Loving
(The Beatles song)
One After 909
(The Beatles song)
Matchbox
(Carl Perkins cover)
Let Me Roll It
(Wings song)
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
(Wings song)
My Valentine
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen a Face
(The Beatles song)
It's So Easy
(The Crickets cover)
Every Night
Another Day
We Can Work It Out
(The Beatles song)
And I Love Her
(The Beatles song)
New
Lady Madonna
(The Beatles song)
Jet
(Wings song)
Drive My Car
(The Beatles song)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
(The Beatles song)
Back in the U.S.S.R.
(The Beatles song)
Let It Be
(The Beatles song)
Hey Jude
(The Beatles song)
Encore:
Golden Slumbers
(The Beatles song)
Carry That Weight
(The Beatles song)
The End
(The Beatles song)

peace

Is that his newest setlist?
Because up until last year he had 5 songs from 'New' on the setlist, along with My Valentine from 2012. That's quite a lot to squeeze in on a setlist, when people are expecting to hear nothing but classic tunes.
So yes, he is touring behind new music and, more importantly, behind a new record.
The Stones has played Doom & Gloom (+ One More Shot a couple of times). That's it.
There is no contest here. One is moving forward, constantly, and another is stamping the ground...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:03

thats great,good to hear..now please go away.there has got to be a beatles fansite somewhere on the internet where you guys can talk about this lame-ass amongst yourselves.

maybe its called "get back" or "come together" or "we love the beatles"or something.just go there,now...i'm begging you.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 26, 2015 22:05

Thanks for this comparison.It highlights how timeless the Stones catalog is, and
how forgettable much of what Paul did/does and ditto the Beatles to a lesser degree.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home