Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Taylor Solo Tour?
Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:30

How many of you would support a Mick Taylor band Solo Tour? I, for one, would think a tour with Rich Robinson, of the now defunct Black Crowes, along with their drummer Steve Gorman, bass player Sven Pipien, would be a helluva band! Anybody besides me excited about that? Also, maybe Mick Taylor could work with Trey from Phish.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 19:50 by bv.

Re: Mick Taylor Solo Tour
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:38

word..

you are in danger of being banned..or scolded..

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:11

What makes you think it is Jagger that don't want him around on the next leg? Jagger this, Jagger that.....there are a few more guys in this band who also got a vote for things, I would suppose??

But no, couldn't really care for a Mick Taylor solo tour. And by the way, what is a "true fan", just curiousspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 18:11 by bobo.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:32

Semi-OT but MT wasn't thought as "an ex-member" much less "a member of the Stones family that finally comes home".

He was seen as a sideman.
And sidemen are to be disposed of once the band itself moves to another musical direction.
In that respect (like it or not) Karl Denson had/has a better prospect of staying in the band than MT has/had.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:41

-deleted-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 23:08 by Koen.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:58

I was at the first show of his last American tour. Very small club, maybe 200 people. Met and spoke with Mick. Tickets were $25.00. I enjoyed the show very much but he was not fit mentally or physically to tour. the next show he lost his voice and the third show he was in the hospital. He was constantly complaining about the mix and just about everything else.(Just like he did on the 2012 shows). He has issues. He was a great part of the Stones history but he quit the band, to ask the others to take less of a cut to bring him back is beyond silly.

Mick Taylor isn't the determining factor of whether I see the Stones. A solo MT tour will be a major disappointment.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:13

LSTNT
I was at the first show of his last American tour. Very small club, maybe 200 people (...) he was not fit mentally or physically to tour. the next show he lost his voice and the third show he was in the hospital.

That was in 2010, right?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:31

For my fans

I am not ronkeith72.

Regards
TonyMo

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:40

I have seen Mick Taylor twice in a solo concert and have no complaints. Mick
Or some promoter would probably do well to scheduel him in cities on adjacent
Days that the stones are schedueled for this summer. I would think he could
Play larger venues with this approach. For instance the stones play on the
12th and Taylor plays the same city on the 11th or 13th. If stones play more
Than one day in a city than Taylor plays on the off day. Maybe even grab another
Ex such as Blondie to join him. The gaps between the dates could be a problem
Though since this would adversely effect the tour expense - seems Taylor mentioned to be Profitable he must play every night on a solo tour. He could
Probably charge a little more than usual though.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:50

For now I have just edited out the offending parts of the initial post of this thread, but please do not be surprised if I delete the user access when someone offend. It is NOT a public right to offend other people, even if they are Mick, Ronnie, Keith or Charlie, at least not on IORR.

IORR is here to inform, to discuss, and to spread the news, but not to offend. If you are pissed off then hit your head in a rock or walk the dog, take a long walk, with or without a dog, but please do not offend others.

Bjornulf

Re: Mick Taylor Solo Tour?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:53

It would be appropriate for Mick Taylor to put together a nice little band and maybe open up for a bigger group on a summer tour of the sheds we love here in the States. I'm hoping for his sake he's been able to get himself together physically and mentally. There would be a lot of love for him as a solo act. Someone like Jeff Beck could take him under his wing.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:55

Taylor in top form together with Jeff Beck would be great. There were quite some similarities in their tone and right hand approach in the 7-tees and 8-tees.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:25

Jeff Beck has too much storm and thrash, there would be no room for Taylor to breath. When Jeff Beck is around, there is only one lead guitarist, and that is Jeff Beck.

John Mayall is still touring regularly and frequently. He would get lots of playing time and probably a decent paycheck. Perhaps it would be a good time for his path before joining the Stones to come full circle as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 21:19 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:33

Agree, I think Taylor would dig the chance to play with Beck but possibly not vice versa. None of the old Yardbirds guitarists are particularly good at sharing the stage with other soloists (of a similar calibre, that is).

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:34

Apologies in advance if I owe any to anyone...

Do we know for a fact that MT will NOT be a special guest on this summer's tour?

I haven't read all 1,316 posts in the tour thread so I'm not sure if it was posted there. I tried looking at Facebook. I tried a Google News search. I'm finding nothing.

Does anyone have any links to anything even semi-official that state anything to this effect?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:41

I would welcome a solo tour. I've loved his solo shows in the past...get to see him really stretch out and play some awesome blues and slide. It isn't the caliber of a Stones show but it's a lot more intimate and personal and a much better display of the man's guitar skills. peace

Date: February 25, 2015 23:45

Naturalust
I would welcome a solo tour. I've loved his solo shows in the past...get to see him really stretch out and play some awesome blues and slide. It isn't the caliber of a Stones show but it's a lot more intimate and personal and a much better display of the man's guitar skills. peace

Completely agree.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:03

I just hope that he didn't burn too many bridges when he cancelled his last tour.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:19

stonehearted
Jeff Beck has too much storm and thrash, there would be no room for Taylor to breath. When Jeff Beck is around, there is only one lead guitarist, and that is Jeff Beck.

I was talking about Taylor in Top Form. Beck respected Taylor's playing a lot, and he steps aside for players he admires, like John McLaughlin, one of Jeff's heroes.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:33

I had tickets to see him in the heartland when he got sick and had to cancel. I was bummed, but overall very happy he recovered. I should have gone to see him with the Stones in Chicago when I had the chance. To me, it is worth the lottery and not knowing where I'm going to sit so long as I can see one of my favorite guitarists play with one of my favorite bands. I'm not as excited to pay a ridiculous amount of money to see them otherwise. I would still go to a Taylor solo show, and Peter Green as well.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:42

dcba
Semi-OT but MT wasn't thought as "an ex-member" much less "a member of the Stones family that finally comes home".

He was seen as a sideman.

Check your calendar. It's not April 1st, yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 01:45 by Chacal.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:50

I would not hold my breath for a MT solo tour. Historically, his periods of making money are followed by (sometimes long) periods of inactivity. I assume he made some money last year.

Date: February 26, 2015 03:26

lapaz62
I just hope that he didn't burn too many bridges when he cancelled his last tour.

pmk251
I would not hold my breath for a MT solo tour. Historically, his periods of making money are followed by (sometimes long) periods of inactivity. I assume he made some money last year.

Hopefully the Stones tour significantly increased his ability to fill bigger venues, his fee and the level of promoters he will have to deal with, bridges he had to deal with in past may not be that important. Besides what promoter/booking agent wouldn't understand cancelling a solo tour to play with the Stones?

As far as waiting to tour, I think he might tour fairly soon just because his demand is high right now and he'll strike while the iron is hot. peace

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 26, 2015 05:22

Has anything really changed for Taylor with his two year stint with the Stones apart from more money in the bank and possibly better health? The latter would help to stage a tour but I can't see the economics being different than for his previous tours?

As a side note I'm sad that he's been "uninvited" but with his role not evolving throughout the tour, for whatever reasons, it seemed the writing was on the wall. I'll keep two huge thrills though, O2/1 when I saw him pop up out of the blue for MR from the pit and when discovering the setlist for LA/3 on a Monday morning and then the vids of Sway and CYHMK.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 26, 2015 05:39

LuxuryStones
stonehearted

I was talking about Taylor in Top Form. Beck respected Taylor's playing a lot, and he steps aside for players he admires, like John McLaughlin, one of Jeff's heroes.

As much as I like Taylor, he's not even close to the same league of player as Jeff Beck or John McLaughlin, technically speaking. Yes I know technical prowess has little to do with good feeling music, which Taylor is more than capable of producing. Maybe playing with Beck would bring them both to a different magical place, I'd love to see it but I doubt it will happen. I imagine Beck respected Taylors playing in the early 70's but he has come a long way since then, Taylor much less so, imo. peace

Date: February 26, 2015 12:14

Naturalust
LuxuryStones
stonehearted

As much as I like Taylor, he's not even close to the same league of player as Jeff Beck or John McLaughlin, technically speaking. Yes I know technical prowess has little to do with good feeling music, which Taylor is more than capable of producing. Maybe playing with Beck would bring them both to a different magical place, I'd love to see it but I doubt it will happen. I imagine Beck respected Taylors playing in the early 70's but he has come a long way since then, Taylor
much less so, imo. peace

My post was merely a remark to Stonehearted's opinion about Jeff Beck and Taylor.

But you're absolutely right, all the dreams I had...winking smiley

Date: February 26, 2015 12:28

I dunno, Beck's played with both Billy Gibbons and Clapton recently and apparently enjoyed it - neither of them has made much, if any, technical progress since the 70s, and in many ways Taylor is closer to Beck's musical ethos than either of those two.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:41

You might say that the Rolling Stones are stuck in time. There is some truth in that. With Mick Taylor you get this feeling even more. If the late 60s bluesrock scene is your cup of tea then that is fine. I guess...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:53

Don't think I'd plan for a Mick Taylor concert...saw him at the Queen Elizabeth Hall South Bank London in I think 2008 and it was all a bit of a mess. He seemed to lose his temper with Mitch Mitchell on drums. He went out for a cigarette and disappeared for 15 minutes. The sound wasn't right etc etc. And I believe he also has a history of postponements and cancellations. If he was round the corner for £15 tonight I'd go but I don't think I'd make big plans.

Date: February 26, 2015 13:18

Stoneage
You might say that the Rolling Stones are stuck in time. There is some truth in that. With Mick Taylor you get this feeling even more. If the late 60s bluesrock scene is your cup of tea then that is fine. I guess...

I think Taylor's quite into the idea of being an itinerant bluesman. None of his heroes when he was a kid - save BB King, I guess - were megastars; they all had to play clubs for a living, picking up local musicians as they toured. (Clapton is into this idea as well, but his decades of pop success mean that he's not convincing in this role; ironically, Taylor's lack of commercial success is in some ways his greatest asset.)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home