Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brian Jones solo material/and song writting
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: February 24, 2015 02:09

Brian Jones did not write many songs. He is creditied with Rice Krispies commercial. He also has a credit for a song titled "Sure I Do" recorded by the Rolling Stones. Registered BTW with Posner Music publishing. I was told by Keith in the 70's and again in the 80's that Brian did work with him on Ruby Tuesday. There are some Nanker Phelge credits where Brian had more to do with the song then the rest. We have "A degree of Murder" sound track, I haven't found out which songs yet are Brians that got registered. Brian's solo material consit of songs "Has anybody Seen By Baby" (not the Stones song) "Chow Time" "Have a Cup of Tea" and a blues instrumental with lot's of keyboards. He also did some producing with "The Bombay Sisters" in 1968/1969. We also have the poem he wrote that Carla Olsen turned into a song titled "Thank You For Being There" I had a studio tape box that had writting on it "The Last Time" B.J. vocals, It was a Studio outtake of "The Last Time" from Jan 65 where the song started with a Tambourine opening. It was a different take but it only had Jones's vocals in the back ground, Jagger with different vocals up front. I was always wondering if Brian had something to do with the song "Miss Amanda Jones". The song was written about Brians "friend/girlfriend" back then Amanda Lear. She is a singer and had released a couple promo videos years ago. Brian was rumored to be behind some of the Stones classic songs, but until I find more facts to back them I will leave that out for now.

Re: Brian Jones solo material/and song writting
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 03:14

Great information. Nice to hear Keith state Brian's involvement in Ruby Tuesday. I always thought that if there's one song Brian should have gotten a credit on, it was that since he's playing the recorder and piano. Mick also stated in a Rolling Stone interview that he had nothing to do with the song.
Also, never knew Amanda Jones was about Brian's girlfriend.

Any chance you would release The Last Time recording? PLEASE!!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:07

Are you the video James who either worked for or with the Stones on their video needs? If so, what did you do?

plexi

Date: February 24, 2015 11:15

VideoJames
Brian Jones did not write many songs. He is creditied with Rice Krispies commercial. He also has a credit for a song titled "Sure I Do" recorded by the Rolling Stones. Registered BTW with Posner Music publishing. I was told by Keith in the 70's and again in the 80's that Brian did work with him on Ruby Tuesday. There are some Nanker Phelge credits where Brian had more to do with the song then the rest. We have "A degree of Murder" sound track, I haven't found out which songs yet are Brians that got registered. Brian's solo material consit of songs "Has anybody Seen By Baby" (not the Stones song) "Chow Time" "Have a Cup of Tea" and a blues instrumental with lot's of keyboards. He also did some producing with "The Bombay Sisters" in 1968/1969. We also have the poem he wrote that Carla Olsen turned into a song titled "Thank You For Being There" I had a studio tape box that had writting on it "The Last Time" B.J. vocals, It was a Studio outtake of "The Last Time" from Jan 65 where the song started with a Tambourine opening. It was a different take but it only had Jones's vocals in the back ground, Jagger with different vocals up front. I was always wondering if Brian had something to do with the song "Miss Amanda Jones". The song was written about Brians "friend/girlfriend" back then Amanda Lear. She is a singer and had released a couple promo videos years ago. Brian was rumored to be behind some of the Stones classic songs, but until I find more facts to back them I will leave that out for now.

I have heard that, too, but not that he wrote it. Could you elaborate?

I always thought there was a double meaning in Miss Amanda Jones, and that the song was mainly a mocking of Brian himself, disguised by using his friend's name.

IMO, Brian had a pretty cool and rough voice, like we hear on Walking The Dog and other tracks. I wonder why he stopped singing?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 11:53

Thanks, Videojames!

In great James Karnbach 1997 book The Complete Recording Guide to the Rolling Stones (aka It´s Only Rock´n´Roll The Ultimate Recording Guide...) there is,
in addition to Sure I Do, another 1963 track - I Want You To Know - that also may have been written by Brian. Do you have any more info on that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 13:59 by rootsman.

Date: February 24, 2015 12:09

DandelionPowderman
VideoJames

I always thought there was a double meaning in Miss Amanda Jones, and that the song was mainly a mocking of Brian himself, disguised by using his friend's name.

IMO, Brian had a pretty cool and rough voice, like we hear on Walking The Dog and other tracks. I wonder why he stopped singing?

If you would like to hear what Brian sounded like, Andrew Oldham had an L.P. titled "16 Hip Hits" & the Andrew Oldham Orchestra & Chorus... He had surprise uncredited people on this L.P. Jagger sings on "Da Doo Ron Ron" There is also the track "I wanna Be Your Man" where the lead singer is not credited. Listen to that song and can you identify who the singer is on that?? I was quite surprised when I found out who it was...

Date: February 24, 2015 12:14

VideoJames
DandelionPowderman
VideoJames

If you would like to hear what Brian sounded like, Andrew Oldham had an L.P. titled "16 Hip Hits" & the Andrew Oldham Orchestra & Chorus... He had surprise uncredited people on this L.P. Jagger sings on "Da Doo Ron Ron" There is also the track "I wanna Be Your Man" where the lead singer is not credited. Listen to that song and can you identify who the singer is on that?? I was quite surprised when I found out who it was...

I'm listening to it now smiling smiley

[open.spotify.com]

Da Doo Ron Ron I already have on "The Rest Of The Best - Stones Story 2".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 12:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 24, 2015 12:21

Well, he's not a natural lead singer grinning smiley

I liked his back up vocals, though.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:37

There is also the famous "Dust My Pyramids" played for the BBC.
Don't forget the home recordings stuff the missed His Majesty posted here once.

Date: February 24, 2015 13:07

mitch
There is also the famous "Dust My Pyramids" played for the BBC.
Don't forget the home recordings stuff the missed His Majesty posted here once.

Interesting, Yes DMP has been credited as a Jones song credit, I understand the BBC had listed it in their log sheets that way. I Believe the track is an instrumental track and was only about 90 seconds,it was played as an intro to the show. I have not heard this track and I'm still looking for it.
What songs titles did "His Majesty" list is there a way to find this post do recall any of them? The Titles I listed earlier are home recording also (Chow Time, Baby, Inst blues Jam etc..)
I have another (63/64) track title "I know" which has B. Jones as the writer. I'm trying to find the publishing Co. to that track. as it was made as a demo to get recored by someone...

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 24, 2015 13:24

VideoJames
What songs titles did "His Majesty" list is there a way to find this post do recall any of them?

Here is what remains from the original post:
[www.iorr.org]

This thread has unleashed many passions at the time and the extracts of the tape that His Majesty has unearthed are unfortunately no longer available.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 24, 2015 13:31

VideoJames
The song was written about Brians "friend/girlfriend" back then Amanda Lear.

Is this the same Amanda Lear that had some disco hits in the 70s?

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: February 24, 2015 13:51

Are you the videojames of whom Bill German talks in his book?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:41

More Info: [brianjoneswrotesongs.blogspot.com]

and : [www.earcandymag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 16:48 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: February 24, 2015 16:49

2000 LYFH
More Info: [brianjoneswrotesongs.blogspot.com]

"Why are the member so hostile to the idea? Considering his composition of the soundtrack for "A degree of Murder", how can the stones simply dismiss his skills in such a manner? Did they perhaps want to hide them? If they indeed recorded Jones compositions, it is peculiar that it was left with two unreleased, if existing, songs. Could Jagger and Richards' ego and struggle for power in the band led to a rejection of all of Jones' songs, and then in the aftermath of his death denying his talent? If so, it is a tragedy. If nothing the world deserves all of Brrian Jones' talent, and not any form of masking or denial of it.

Because the stuff in A Degree Of Murder were bits and pieces of music, not songs?

This is too conspiratorial for me. Brian had loads of talent, and he certainly knew how to improve a song with wonderful contributions. Why should the entire band, the manager and people around him lie? What are band mates gaining, 30 years later, for dismissing his skills in songwriting and praising his other musical skills?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 16:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 24, 2015 17:14

Maybe he's right Mick, Keith ecc....!

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:19

DandelionPowderman

[open.spotify.com]

That's Andrew Loog Oldham singing on I Wanna Be Your Man.

smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2015 20:34

^ Hey Gemini - r u who I think u r? u been here in another incarnation?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:41

Brian Jones was not a songwriter, he was an instrumentalist. End of story.
Why do people keep making conspirational theories about it?

Listen to A Degree Of Murder, which sounds like any other sixties soundtrack. Not Stones-worthy at all. The best thing about it is the instrumentation, which once again shows were Brian had his force.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 24, 2015 21:50

Poor Brian. Again and again he was too ahead of his time. He thought of things as a jazzer, where the vocalist is seen as another instrument, and not the leader of the group. He was at the infancy of pop groups. He couldn't foresee that the vocalist got all the attention, and he would be seen as a bright bauble of a sideman. It would be years before those sidemen were appreciated and understood. Even Wyman and Watts eventually got their due.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 24, 2015 22:25

DandelionPowderman
VideoJames

All very interesting!
Thank you for the hindsights VideoJames and DPman (nice talking to you on the "She Smiled Sweetly" thread DPman...Ruby Tuesday was a Keith-Brian collaboration after all...VideoJames has authority for sure).
For me The Rolling Stones were my main study since I was 14 (in 1978). I studied J. Karnbach's book from A to Z at the time. I am not so accurate in all the facts anymore, but somewhere deep down it's all still there.
Looking back it's clear to me: If I had put the same time in an other subject and not in The Rolling Stones for all these years I could have had a proper job.
Not that I care by the way!!!thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Date: February 24, 2015 23:11

Gemini
DandelionPowderman

[open.spotify.com]

smiling smiley

Thanks, HM.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:21

DandelionPowderman
Gemini
DandelionPowderman

[open.spotify.com]

smiling smiley

Thanks, HM.

So, Keith and Brian wrote Ruby Tuesday together >grinning smiley< thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 00:22 by RipThisBone.

Date: February 25, 2015 00:23

From what I've learned, Keith wrote the song and Brian helped arranging it. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 25, 2015 01:24

DandelionPowderman
From what I've learned, Keith wrote the song and Brian helped arranging it. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though...

This thread was the first I heard this about Ruby Tuesday. Has Keith confirmed
This? Obviously Brian's musicianship was pinickle to the song's outcome. Just
Doesn't seem typical of Keith or Mick to give a nod to Brian since the song's copywrite is Jagger/Richards.

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:00

2000 LYFH

Some people seem to think I am someone else, but I am just me. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:44

Not a solo track but sure sounds like Brian speaking at intro
and possibly playing the kazoo on Trouble In Mind jam from Olympic Studio Nov 1966

ROCKMAN

Date: February 25, 2015 05:16

Gemini
2000 LYFH

Some people seem to think I am someone else, but I am just me. smiling smiley

That's exactly what that other person would say! Welcome back...smoking smiley

Date: February 25, 2015 06:06

DandelionPowderman
Gemini
DandelionPowderman

[open.spotify.com]

smiling smiley

Thanks, HM.

You are correct, It's A.Oldham on "I wanna Be your Man". Interesting singing voice he has.HUH!!

Date: February 25, 2015 09:37

swimtothemoon
DandelionPowderman

This thread was the first I heard this about Ruby Tuesday. Has Keith confirmed
This? Obviously Brian's musicianship was pinickle to the song's outcome. Just
Doesn't seem typical of Keith or Mick to give a nod to Brian since the song's copywrite is Jagger/Richards.

Brian probably "worked with" Keith on many tracks. Nothing new there. If he indeed wrote something, that would be the news.

The story about Brian working with Keith on RT has been confirmed and denied by many different sources during the years.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home